Where to start?

niska

Hi again. First grow and new to these forums.

I've been researching best ways to dry/cure buds, and the information can be confusing/contradictory

I have a balcony grow in a Northern Canadian climate. Eleven plants in total, 9 Afgan AF and 2 Candy Cane. I think they turned out OK for a first time grower, as the buds are fattening-up. We could use a bit more sunshine, but hey...you 'make do' with an outside grow, right?

Whats the simplest way for me to maximize this harvest? I have a shed to hang the plants. I plan to remove the fan leaves as soon as they are hung up. Do growers use the fan leaves for anything?
I have some Mason jars and a hygrometer to check for moisture during the curing process.

I'm heading down the final stretch, and I dont want to mess this up.
Thank you

Niska... I like to trim all leaves as close as possible at chop-chop time. I throw the bigger fan leaves out and save the smaller "sugar" leaves for either bubble H or butter.

I usually hang for about two weeks then start the cure.

Northern Canada?? Good job!!

When you can snap one of the small/medium branches it is dry enough to put in a jar.

And I'm pretty sure you don't want it to freeze. It sounds like that might be right around the corner.

Hi Niska!!

Welcome to 420! You've chosen a great spot to answer your questions.

I personally save everything and use everything. I keep fan leaves for juices and foods. I eat between 4-6 leaves a day. Do a little homework, it's a great way to stay healthy!
I also only remove the fan leaves come harvest time. I do bud washing then I hang to dry for another few days before doing he final manicure. I do this to avoid chlorophyl from dripping all over the buds. After final manicure they hang until ready for jars.

Hope you find everything you're looking for!

Thanks for the replies.
I think I will try to make butter from the fan leaves.
There's a ton of things I will do differently next year, including some good quality fertilizers. As the plants were starting to bloom, I tried to buy a decent low "N"/ higher "P" ratio formula, and all I could find was tomatoe formulas. Amazon maybe? Hoping to find a company that will ship to Canada. (not all will...)

I have to say...growing weed is a very enjoyable experience. I'm learning as I go...

I'm in Canada and I use Green Planet Nutrients. Love them! A bit on the expensive side of you want to get the complete line. But for the basic bottles you can get them for about 20$ each.

I have a picture of them at the beginning of my journal if you'd like to check them out

Back
Top Bottom