Which pH chart is true? For coco mainly

first off weaseley,, would you still think this chart is accurate?

second off,, would you think the soiless side of the chart is accurate? any opinion there?

cuz if you think the soiless side is accurate,, then i am wondering why i am not ph'ing my hempy water to 5.0 instead of 5.7

would solve a maybe over nitrogen issue i thot i had

i gotta put on my white coat,,

thanks for this rethink,, cheers

Nivek I could say a bunch of stuff I guess. But to be honest I have no idea whether that chart is accurate or not. I just assume it’s not a bunch of BS - because somebody went to all the work of making the thing, and it gets passed around a lot :laughtwo:
But I think we can all safely assume that it’s trying to make a simple two dimensional picture out of a complicated situation- like it’s just meant to give you a ‘general sense’ of what’s happening with nutrient intake.

Beyond that- I think it’s safest to go with what people have found to work best, and for hydro that’s generally around 5.8. Probably no need to reinvent the wheel there. I used to feed a bit lower because in my experience the ph seems to rise in the pot- I don’t know if that’s true for everybody but I think it is for most. So I’d ph at around 5.6 and hope it catches a wider PH range later as it rises.

edit- I’d also say- a side by side test grow is a great way to find answers to some questions like this. Doesn’t mean we can’t still fool ourselves with the results - and it’s a pain in the ass to do- but still can save a lot of time later.

That first chart has been called into question before - since it was put together by a forum member somewhere who may have done it in a hurry or smoked one too many that night. That one and the second one seem way oversimplified, but at best I guess these charts are rough guides.

The last one would be more accurate and I think comes from more 'official' sources - even though it makes things look more vague and less black and white than the first two.
Here I'll make it look more black and white.

In my experience 6.2 is too high to feed at in soilless. At least consistently.

There's no 'one' magic ph spot where everything clicks, and so there does need to be a range for the different elements to uptake properly.

But that doesn't mean we need to feed low one day and high the next- though that strategy can be useful once in a while too. .

Since in my experience the ph seems to always rise in the pot, the best way (IMO) to achieve that ph range is to feed low.
If I consistently feed at 6.2 I'm already off the scale for some nutrients and heading upwards.
If I feed low- I'm in a better position.
I generally feed around 5.6.

5.8 is considered that best possible spot where most elements are available. But that doesn't mean it's perfect.

I've feed lower and once ran one plant at 5.2. It was very happy. At the same time in that test i ran another clone of it at 6.2 and that one was very sad. To the point where I eventually threw it out since the 5.2 one was twice as big and four times as happy.

I never feed above 5.8 anymore. Possibly the occasional 5.9.
Anytime I get above 6 my plants get unhappy
According to this chart a 5.0ph looks ideal for flowering, anyone ever go that low to see?

I had Iron deficiency and lowered ph of feed to 5.4 5.5 problem solved but now I have mobile P deficiency , It moves from older leaves and I keep my ph low (below 6.2) for best P uptake and hope I solve P def but thing don't change , by different charts I found I'm not sure which ph chart is way to go
What I do when growing Coco I start at 5.5ph and the next watering I will p.h the water to 5.6 then test the run off see what it reads if it say ph is 5.8 because P.H tends to swing up as your Coco drys out.

Back
Top Bottom