Who Uses Medical Marijuana? A Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy Patient's Story

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
People suffering with diabetic peripheral neuropathy are often prescribed a laundry list of medications, from tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs), serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), antiepileptic drugs (AEDs), and countless narcotic pain medications. But many patients find that the most effective drug of them all is medical marijuana. Just as Dave a 58-year-old Southern California resident who is living with diabetic peripheral neuropathy.

Diabetic peripheral neuropathy is a serious medical condition in which diabetes causes nerve damage in the arms, hands, legs and feet. For the most part, Dave doesn’t have much feeling from his thighs to his toes. However, his nerve endings cause excruciating pain.

“It feels like I’m walking on broken glass or a 100 degree sidewalk,” he explained.

Because of the pain, Dave is prescribed 160 Vicodin and Percoset every month. But he turned to medical marijuana, he explained, “when the side effects of pharmaceuticals made my life irregular, dismal and scary.” Dave was fearful especially of addiction to the pain meds. Now, he uses medical marijuana with a vaporizer for the pain and has seen tremendous results.

“Thanks to MarijuanaDoctors.com I found a doctor in my area, got my license and started cutting my use of those addictive prescription drugs,” he said.

The only issue he faces now is that of finances. Because he is medically unemployable, Dave says that even McDonalds is hard to afford at his income level. His health insurance pays for the prescription narcotics, but not the medical marijuana. However, he is working with some dispensary owners to learn how to grow the medicine he needs. He hopes that in the future, not only should patients be able to use medical marijuana, but insurance companies should cover it just as they do any other medication.

NewsHawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: marijuanadoctors.com
Copyright: 2010 MD MCN Co, Inc

I know how this guy feels...I've got bilateral peripheral neuropathy (after effects from an accident) and I haven't worked in 9 months. Savings ran out in August and the only phone calls I get now are from creditors. If I didn't have my garden I don't know what I would do for the pain since I can't even afford to go see the doc. At least my kids have insurance, food to eat, and a roof over their heads. Thank God for that!

Back
Top Bottom