Wick Cloner: simple, cheap and effective

Re: Wick Cloner: simple, cheap, and effective

Well I am wondering as well.... Munki, did you ever give your clones a bit of nutes while they were in the cloner...?

First off, :welcome: to 420 Magazine, Doobiedog. No, I did not put in nutrients into the water. You could put in a little superthrive or something with vitamin B-1 to help encourage root development. Other nutrients are not necessary and will only encourage other things to grow in the tub. Just water and some light work great.

My goal with this was not to get the fastest clones.

Thanks for the welcome note.... Just want to say, of all of the cloning threads I have read, yours is number one (#1)...! Great pics, as well as total in debth explanations....

Thanks Doobiedog. I don't think this is the best cloner once you have your grow system down. Biggest issue is getting the little clones out of the common perlite space. Hard to not damage the roots when removing the clone.

It is great for experimentation or if you want the clones to not develop too quickly. It is easy to put some cuttings in it and only give the tub some water every couple of weeks. With no moving parts, it won't fail on you, only go dry.

Glad this thread was useful for you. Rock on, my brother! :theband:

Munki,
I had to wait for a plant to get large enough to take some cuttings before trying to clone.... Don't even know if it is a male or female, but you just have to do with what ya got.... I inserted some "Jiffy-7 Peat Pellets" in the Perlite to start the cuttings in, and the Wick Cloner is keeping them moist, figured it might make transplanting easier.... The cuttings have now been in the Wick Cloner for four (4) days and are drooping, but at least they are not dry.... I tried a single leaf as well directly in the Perlite as you did, and it appears to be doing as well as the cuttings....

With a cover and a sprayer, you can bring up the humidity for your new cuts until they get their root nubs started. Wilting is pretty normal the first few days. Remember, this cloner is not a fast one but needs little maintenance to grow clones.

For my purpose, the less maintenance the better, that is why I liked your approach and testing of the Cloner.... You said earlier that you did not cover your clones, and that is what I intend to do this first round.... There are only three (3) cuttings in the Cloner, and one (1) full leaf, and as of this writing they look just like they did yesterday.... If and when they perk up, I will put the mother/father in a flowering mode to see what sex I am dealing with.... Sure hope it is a lady...!

Right on. Just keep having fun and learning. It is what keeps my interest alive!

I want to try this but I have never had much luck cloning anything. I tried Geraniums, Heart-leaf philodendrons, pothos, etc. but they always get smelly, rot and die. I have used rockwool and soil. Once I saw some root nubs on 1 geranium out of 7 in rockwool. The rest were totally rotted. I use clonex gel and rootone powder too. I tried superthrive. I sprayed the crap out of them. I had 1 or 2 65-watt (actual -- 200 watt equivalent) CFL's over all these. I have been practicing to become good at this so that I can do well when I finally do decide to grow xpensive seeds. So what am I doing wrong?

I have worked as a gardener for years before and LOVE growing. I have a pothos that is 25 years old... I know a lot about plants, just not about cloning. So my 6 main questions are:

1) do I need a heat mat? 2) Are my lights too bright? 3) why does crap keep growing and rotting my clones? 4) can I add some peroxide or alcohol to the water to sterilize it? Will these additives hurt my plant? 5) do I need to keep the water or liquid moving or changed-out? 6) are there any in-depth books on cloning with cloning theory and research?

Thank you very much in advance. I read this whole thread and it is EXCELLENT! I am suspecting that one or more of the things I mentioned above are the culpit... I want to try this method but want to be sure about all these factors first.

Cloning worked perfectly.... Too bad the mother plant is a "DUDE".... Time to start from square 1 with some seeds.... Heck-e-darn...!

Hey, you still got some practice in so all is not lost. Keep it up Doobiedog! Go ahead and share pics of your setup if you feel so inclined. This thread is for the community; I am not the inventor of this method. As more share their experiences, the better it becomes IMHO.

I want to try this but I have never had much luck cloning anything. I tried Geraniums, Heart-leaf philodendrons, pothos, etc. but they always get smelly, rot and die. I have used rockwool and soil. Once I saw some root nubs on 1 geranium out of 7 in rockwool. The rest were totally rotted. I use clonex gel and rootone powder too. I tried superthrive. I sprayed the crap out of them. I had 1 or 2 65-watt (actual -- 200 watt equivalent) CFL's over all these. I have been practicing to become good at this so that I can do well when I finally do decide to grow xpensive seeds. So what am I doing wrong?

I have worked as a gardener for years before and LOVE growing. I have a pothos that is 25 years old... I know a lot about plants, just not about cloning. So my 6 main questions are:

1) do I need a heat mat? 2) Are my lights too bright? 3) why does crap keep growing and rotting my clones? 4) can I add some peroxide or alcohol to the water to sterilize it? Will these additives hurt my plant? 5) do I need to keep the water or liquid moving or changed-out? 6) are there any in-depth books on cloning with cloning theory and research?

Thank you very much in advance. I read this whole thread and it is EXCELLENT! I am suspecting that one or more of the things I mentioned above are the culpit... I want to try this method but want to be sure about all these factors first.

Sorry I haven't been around much so I apologize for the late reply.

1) When cloning, high levels are light are not preferred. It will cause the plants metabolism to speed up (I think) and therefore demand resources at a greater rate. Since there are no roots to supply it, the cutting can die. I used a 10 watt CFL suspended nearly a foot over my cloner for weeks. Once roots establish, increasing light will help speed up growth, but easy does it in the beginning.

2) Slime usually indicates baddies are growing. Clean tools when cutting the clones can help. Also, using the perlite and tap water only creates a very poor environment for those baddies. They typically are anaerobic, and like it dark and wet. You will have plenty of air available using the perlite so as to prevent the baddies from spreading. They may also be getting a foothold once the cuttings have already died or was very weak from not getting enough water and being under bright lights with no roots. Once weakened, decomposing bacteria will try to do their job.

This is just an educated guess. Just keep trying to think from the little cutting's point of view. You will get it.

:peacetwo:

You are correct about the practice.... Planted three (3) cuttings, and they all rooted.... What a shame to have to throw all of them away, but I don't want males...!
As for pictures, I read the "how to", and this sites uploading procedure appears to be a real pain the ass, but I might give it a try to display the vaporizer I just designed and built for $30.... Never saw one like it on any video I researched on YouTube, but then again, maybe I really didn't design something new.... I had never vaped before, because I didn't want to spend the bucks for one, nor do I like exposing myself in any head shop.... But the thing really works great.... The next one will have a few modifications, but the prototype really kicks ass....
Thanks again for all of your time and effort on the cloner.... Sweet and simple is the way I like things....
Oh and by the way, I used a 100 watt CFL at one (1) foot distance for the clones....

100 watt equivalent or actual 100 watt CFL? Most likely it is the former and is probably about 23 - 26 actual watts. Should be fine. Hope to see the vape. Start a thread on it over in this forum and link it back here if you want.

420 Product Reviews - 420 Magazine

There has got to be a way to post more than one pic at a time.... Guess I need to read more on the "how to"....
01103.jpg

WoW, I have been knocking around a few ideas of being about to vape oil, yours is great. I plan to build one and use an height agustable vile so I can make sure the temp is not too hot. Thanks for the great idea

Thanks.... I guess I will start a new thread tonight, because I certainly am not trying to hijack this one.... I will post the URL.... The bulb is a 250 watt heat lamp, and it does not burn the bud....

I am just looking for the 380-400 degree mark, plan to use my oven thermo for distace setting.

I am just looking for the 380-400 degree mark, plan to use my oven thermo for distace setting.

Don't forget to get one of those laser thermometers so you can check the temp easily without touching it.

Ok, you have inspired me! I went and bought some perlite and ended up using a couple of extra Tuff storage 12 gallon bins.
I will be cloning Trainwreck, UW/Udub purps (the original) Cherry Pie, F1 Hash Plant (starts from phat belly clones out of Seattle) and some crazy plant that turns so purple it is perfect for outdoors 'cus it doesn't even look like pot! ftw! :) Sorry about my abandoned journal from my last grow. I lost my phone with the only camera that was able to upload pics. I will be more diligent about it this time. :) I hope to have some pics up soon from the indoor room. This will be my first indoor grown in a few years and it's kinda thrown together mainly so I can have some serious starts for the outdoor season!
IMG_20150211_161852.jpg

IMG_20150211_161903.jpg

Hey thanks for bringing this old thread to the surface. I've been having cloning problems lately so trying new ideas and this sounds cool.
Also- there must be a way around the difficulty in getting the roots out of the perlite. Like - I dunno, maybe enclosing an area around each clone with something like paper towel or very thin fabric or newspaper or something so that the whole thing could be lifted out... I'll have to try it first to get a feel for the possibilities.

Back
Top Bottom