Wouldn't this be awesome?

CHaRBeaRITY

I don't expect you all to read this whole thing but if you have time skim over it. I think its pretty interesting.

Scientists Splice Cannabis Gene into Other Plants.

LONDON. A genetic scientist, Marvin Himmelfarb, announced today that he has succeeded in splicing the genes that produce the consciousness-altering chemical THC in marijuana into the genes of unrelated plant species.

At a noisy press conference, Dr. Himmelfarb demonstrated the achievement by adding some leaves from an altered mint plant into a cup of tea that he brewed in front of the reporters. At first, the scientist was brusk and appeared nervous. But as he sipped the tea, he became noticeably more voluble and relaxed. "Laid back,' is the word.

Dr. Himmelfarb created excitement as he pulled out his wallet and with a happy smile on his face began distributing banknotes to the outstretched hands of eager reporters. This reporter had just elbowed his way to get within reach of the distribution when, unfortunately, Dr. Himmelfarb's assistants restrained his generous impulses by locking his arms and one of them declared the press conference at an end.

This announcement and demonstration of its effectiveness, as expected, electrified the world today. What added excitement was the claim that the technique could be applied to a wide variety of species in the plant kingdom including grasses, vegetables, and trees. The genes can even be spliced into lawn seeds with the consciousness altering drug being 'harvested' by collecting the 'grass' clippings in a lawnmower bag.

Needless to say, the announcement has caused consterantion among world governments especially among law enforcement officials engaged in the so-called War on Drugs.

The implications are enormous say officials. "The War on Drugs now faces a defining battle that generals running the war can't possibly win," one top official said. "Either we've got to enlarge prisons so that the majority of mankind can be incarcerated as punishment for using the drug, or we can declare the war over and just accept that if people want to get stoned that's their business."

We are familiar with TV pictures of cops busting a marijuana growing operation, usually described as the 'largest bust in history', with a narc beaming over a collection of plants that are headed for the incinerator. "The haul would have netted x millions on the street," intones the announcer. How are these cops going to detect a crop containing the psychotropic drug when the 'crop' is, say, a field of wheat, or perhaps long rows of tomatoes ripening on the vine?

That it is now possible to do the gene splicing technique, doesn't really come as a surprise to many of those working in the field of genetics. Genetically modified foods are becoming ever more common. Manipulation of genes including the splicing of certain genes from one species to another have almost become commonplace.

Genes deemed to have a beneficial effect are commonly spliced into the genes of another with the resulting plants being viable, normally functioning, and possessing the trait deemed desirable. There are all sorts of examples from genetically modified corn and wheat containing herbicides to cow's milk containing human growth hormone. Of course, these varieties have generated enormous interest and alarm among certain public interest groups that want to ban such techniques entirely.

Whether we like it or not, strains of plants containing the hallucinatory gene will become ever more available. There is just no practical way to prevent it happening. Clandestine labs will produce the products whatever measures are introduced to try to control their manufacture.

On a day not too far in the future you will be able to go into your neighborhood garden supply store and buy a large bag of grass seed each of which contains the gene to produce THC. When sprouted it will not only adorn your lawn but also give you endless pleasure as you inhale the smoke or ingest cookies made from the lawn cuttings themselves.

All you have to do is inhale the smoke or ingest the resin extracted from the stuff in the mower bag. As you drift in a happy fog perhaps you'll glance across the shimmering lawn to see your neighbour munching or smoking the fallen leaves from the big maple in his yard. Perhaps this will drive many of us to become vegetarians, that is until they find a way, and they will, to splice the THC genes into those of our domestic animals. Imagine heading for the nearest McDonald's for a triple burger garnished with pickles and mustard all liberally doped with THC.

sounds awesome, would love it my lawn clippings would get me high. guess ill have to goto college and learn how to gene splice.

is that a real story?

I dunno how true it is or what not but I found it searching the web. I thought it was quite funny. This is my absolute favorite part... Could you imagine: As you drift in a happy fog perhaps you'll glance across the shimmering lawn to see your neighbour munching or smoking the fallen leaves from the big maple in his yard.

i'm a bit cynical, nothing against you bear, but smells like bullshit, seems like a fictional story made up to sound like a real news article, kind of like on the onion.com but not as satirical. actually, it sounds like it could be from that site. plus, for publicity, it sounds like just a few minutes after sipping the so called "tea", the scientist turned into a stoner movie stereotype, acting fucking retarded and giving out money. i'm sorry but i've never ever ever ever ever been so stoned that i start handing strangers money, that would be the day i decide i cannot handle weed and would quit smoking. thank god it's never happened. and if you could splice fruit and vegetable and trees with thc, where would the majority of the thc be located, and would it be as potent as lets say a big bud off of a plant of (insert strong strain of weed here)??? it seems like a romantic fairy tale, like when i was a kid and saw a mcdonalds commercial where all the water fountains in the school shot out chocolate milkshakes. but going along with everybody else, it would be sweet if fruit were infused with thc, stoners everywhere could be healthier, no more smoking, we could excersice without coughing like i do, we could work out and afterwards enjoy a low calorie "fruit" smoothie and be ripped afterwards.

I'm trying so hard to remember that McDonald's commercial lol.

Back
Top Bottom