Yellowing at tip of leaf

oiuhdfukg

I have a seedling about a month old and this morning one of the leaf tips was starting to turn yellow. pH is about 6.6 and the plant has only been given very mild nutes once. I was under the impression that anything beginning at the leaf tips is a burn but this seems unlikely... is this a deficiency I'm looking at?
IMG_263713.JPG

Hard to see in the pics, but it looks small for 4 weeks. Ive been told not start using nutes at all until it has a decent root system started. Yellowing at the tips is simply just nute burn. What kind of soil, temp, humidity??

Soil is out-of-the-bag soil which is mostly peat moss, and I added perlite. Temp is 75-80 degrees and humidity is typically around 40%.

Are you sure its nute burn? Slow growth seems like a symptom of a deficiency. I doubt it's received enough nutes to be burned.

Peat moss and perlite is soilless, not soil. So your ph should be 5.8-6.0 for soilless and 6.5-6.8 for soil. I'd get that ph down quickly and don't give nutes yet, they are still too tiny. Also looks like a little stretch going on, can you get the light closer to the plant? There should be enough sustenance in the peat moss to keep it alive for now, don't use nutes until there are 4-5 sets of leaves.

Peat moss and perlite is soilless, not soil. So your ph should be 5.8-6.0 for soilless and 6.5-6.8 for soil. I'd get that ph down quickly and don't give nutes yet, they are still too tiny. Also looks like a little stretch going on, can you get the light closer to the plant? There should be enough sustenance in the peat moss to keep it alive for now, don't use nutes until there are 4-5 sets of leaves.

Sorry for the confusion, I said it was mostly peat moss, not just peat moss. The bag says it's "Seed and Herb Soil". So strictly speaking I don;t think it's "soilless".
IMG_263814.JPG

Looks to me that it was caused by nutrients. I like to use straight Ph'd water until I see a few sets of leaves and then slowly add nutrients. Try using just a mild mix of cloning solution to your water for smaller seedlings and clones. It's not to strong but still has enough in it to feed the smaller plants. I like to use clonex solution for my seedlings

When the problem starts at the tip of the leaf, is it always nute burn? 100%? Can anyone confirm that?

I'm still trying to account for the slowed growth as well. That seems like a symptom of a deficiency.

No no and one more time no! Plants this old don't have deficiencies in almost any soil. You never do more nutes if leafs are yellowing, NEVER! If plant is going through tough times you flush, dry and move on.

Just water the plant and don't do any nutes until it's 50cm long. I personally wait even longer. 99% of time it's PH problems and over fertilizing.

OK, it's been 48 hours since flushing and it seems to be responding well. That is to say the issue hasn't gotten any worse, which I suppose is the best case scenario.

I had to water her again this morning as she was extremely thirsty, I didn't expect the medium to dry out quite that fast after the flush.

Great than! Damage will stay on plant forever, but that does not mean a whole lot. Just be careful with fertilizing, going after big yield usually ends with no yield. Hate to sound like old record, but bet yield with no nutes i had was ~700gr thus proving the point.

It's beginning to look like a pH issue. I tested my runoff last night and it was at 5. I added some lime and now it's at 6.9.

Is aluminum sulphate safe to use to bring the pH back down a little bit? Or will using water ph'ed to 6.5 do the trick?

water will do the trick. but you need a lot of it, you can try ph7 or something for starters to bring soil ph up faster.

it always either PH or nutes. And almost usually every time both together.

Back
Top Bottom