Whitefly problem for first timer

BlaziNoob

Everything seems to be looking good for my babies, growing 3 and just transplanted them into bigger clay pots. Well as the title suggests I noticed these pesky whiteflies on my month old babies and an additional seedling which is a fee days old, and since it's my first time growing, I took to the net to find a homemade repellent because in my country you don't have any fancy gardening goods.

From what I found on the internet, I mixed 0.5 Teaspoon canola oil, 3 drops sriracha sauce ( tobasco was recommended but I didn't have any,) , a small squirt of hand soap and also garlic powder (pinch) all in 500ml water and created a solution which I sprayed onto my babies. After letting it sit for 10-15 minutes I noticed some whiteflies dead on the leaves which I wiped out, then I checked all the leaves to check for others, after which I misted them with plain water, set the fan on them to dry then misted twice again after they dried each time. Used an unscented imprinted tissue to gently wipe some of the oily residue from the plants.

My question was, that if any of you have any information or tips in regard to this issue and whether I'm doing it correctly or not, any help would be appreciated.

P.S I didn't spray them with the entire solution only about 15-30ml

Hey buddy, there's many different homemade repellents you can make. Including garlic, vegetable or corn oil, basil, cinnamon etc etc. I also heard that a small amount of hydrogen peroxide 3% is highly effective, which is something you can probably get from your local pharmacy. Start a journal of your grow if you can so we can follow...good luck :grinjoint:

I regularly put dryer sheets on the top of my soil to frustrate the burrowers and put up a sticky strip to get the flyers. This double edged strategy breaks the lifecycle and my problem with whiteflies has gone away.

DSCF48271.JPG

Thanks for the input both of you, I'm currently dealing with the heartbreak of finding out 2/3 of my plants have turned out to be male. After my concoction the white flies never returned however now I can see some mosquitos trying to sit on the soil and probably lay eggs or something, il try putting a meter screen around the soil or even foil bcuz drier sheets aren't used in my country.

I would love to start a grow journal but don't really know how and whether I should now that I only have 1 female plant left.

greetings. if i might intrude on the post. i am battling these same little white beasts. i`m a novice, i didn`t notice them infesting a plant til it was so noticeable that i`m now afraid of ruining it. it`s maybe only a couple weeks away from harvest. before my treatment last night, it still had a lot of white pistils and the reds weren`t curled in yet. still has some beefing up to do, but i panicked and researched and doused her first with just the hose with as hard a spray as i could just putting my finger over a weak water pressure, and then with a spray of a biodegradable soap and water (i had expert opinions on the type of soap and dosage and all), but what i`m worried about is that the advice i read was to not get any on the buds. some buds were covered in this pest. i just doused the whole entire plant and others for prevention. now i notice the almost ripe one has zero white hairs. i must have blown them off with the hose, and it`s just full of red hairs. so i don`t know if this is going to come back to flowering and continue or if i`ve ruined it or what. it still has some of the pest on some of the leaves underneath, but i did a good job of getting the majority off. now i`m told to do the same wash with neem oil...once a week with soap and water, once a week with neem oil. then i read i can rinse the buds upon harvesting. so this is what happened and what i`ve done and what i`m planning to do from now. any advice would be greatly appreciated. fyi, i can`t get my hands on all those brandname products i`ve seen recommended, impossible, just chemical stuff and some organic like neem oil. not a garden center within many many hours from here.

Back
Top Bottom