Red or Blue

PoS5

Hi. I am a first time grower. Posting here specifically to ask about lighting schedule for a pot plant, currently in a balcony, getting approx 8-10 hours of good sunlight. Watering when needed. 10 have been growing good, just a few bent stems, probably due to overwatering (need to correct that too)
Please suggest whether I should take it inside at nights and keep it in darkness or get red/blue or both growing bulbs/CFL and then proceed further?
Any suggestion/correction/input would be highly appreciated. Peace.
420-magazine-mobile859467128.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Hi,
First of all, they need lots of light the more the better.
You have some reading to do. Look here:New Member Start links

Also, all of them in one pot?
I hope they will be moved to separate pots later?!

Hi! Thanks for your suggestion. I would most certainly move them to individual pots later. Could you just help me with the lighting please.
Total outdoors or some proportion of both.
Also is there any darkness needed at this stage?
Thanks again. Peace.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine

Hi! Thanks for your suggestion. I would most certainly move them to individual pots later. Could you just help me with the lighting please.
Total outdoors or some proportion of both.
Also is there any darkness needed at this stage?
Thanks again. Peace.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine

I don't mean to sound rude in any way but you should really do some reading about this topic so that you better understand the questions you are asking. It almost isn't worth it to hand this information to you because it is only one piece of a very large puzzle; you need to understand the why's behind your questions instead of just imitating others without knowing what made their personal choices work for them. I felt completely ignorant of this process until I started reading more, and the books are great references to look back to when you have important questions. I recommend Ed Rosenthal's Grower's Handbook or the Cannabis Grow Bible by Greg Green.

That being said:

-You can vegetate in 24/0 (light/dark), 18/6, or 12/12.

-12/12 will trigger your Plants to begin blooming once they've actually gotten enough light to grow taller.

-24/0 is your best bet but least cost effective, and many people believe Plants need a natural nighttime period of at least 6 hours. I don't agree with that, as I use 24/0 for any vegetative Plant because the more light, the better the quality of yield.

-18/6 is more cost effective and won't trigger flowering in your Plants, but exposing them to darkness for longer than 6 hours will force the plant to attempt to bud; if mistakes are made in letting this dark Photoperiod go over 6 hours, you can potentially stress your Plant into a hermaphroditic state.

I've been doing this for three months and am by no way an expert grower by experience, but reading up on this overall process has given me an exceptional advantage when I made the jump into the fire. I did what you are doing, except I read some books first. If you do that, you will better be able to use this great toolbox of a website because you'll understand how to manipulate the information to benefit your particular grow.

Godspeed.

Sent from my iPad using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I don't mean to sound rude in any way but you should really do some reading about this topic so that you better understand the questions you are asking. It almost isn't worth it to hand this information to you because it is only one piece of a very large puzzle; you need to understand the why's behind your questions instead of just imitating others without knowing what made their personal choices work for them. I felt completely ignorant of this process until I started reading more, and the books are great references to look back to when you have important questions. I recommend Ed Rosenthal's Grower's Handbook or the Cannabis Grow Bible by Greg Green.

That being said:

-You can vegetate in 24/0 (light/dark), 18/6, or 12/12.

-12/12 will trigger your Plants to begin blooming once they've actually gotten enough light to grow taller.

-24/0 is your best bet but least cost effective, and many people believe Plants need a natural nighttime period of at least 6 hours. I don't agree with that, as I use 24/0 for any vegetative Plant because the more light, the better the quality of yield.

-18/6 is more cost effective and won't trigger flowering in your Plants, but exposing them to darkness for longer than 6 hours will force the plant to attempt to bud; if mistakes are made in letting this dark Photoperiod go over 6 hours, you can potentially stress your Plant into a hermaphroditic state.

I've been doing this for three months and am by no way an expert grower by experience, but reading up on this overall process has given me an exceptional advantage when I made the jump into the fire. I did what you are doing, except I read some books first. If you do that, you will better be able to use this great toolbox of a website because you'll understand how to manipulate the information to benefit your particular grow.

Godspeed.

Hi! It is great to have practical and factual advice from your end. I am onto the reading spree and now can relate to your point. I have been reading about vegetative -flowering and post stages. Would keep you updated for sure. As I am a novice, this is just a pot plant for my personal use, once I get going good, would probably invest more and go ahead bigger. Currently using 24/0 schedule. Would keep you posted, do have your suggestions pouring in and making it better for all of us! Thanks once again. Bless you!

^ what he said

P.S. is that dirt from the ground? Just curious.

Sent from my SM-N910V using 420 Magazine Mobile App

That's a nice mixture of clay- sand probably. Not very sure. Getting peat next week so fingers crossed. Any help/suggestion would be welcomed!

I would suggest avoiding CFLs if you can. Screw in LED bulbs have advanced to a point where they are as efficient as some midrange blurple grow lights. CFLs are way less efficient and are more of a fire hazard. Oh and CFLs have mercury in them and they are made of glass, the LEDs have plastic diffusers so no chance of broken glass with them :)

Hi! So after reading, I let them grow outdoors, they are getting 10-12 hours of good sunlight on them. Been now noticing a bit of problems with the leaves. The one in the middle is a clone of a male sativa probably, it was in the wild so I got it.
420-magazine-mobile721638728.jpg
Spot, clawing and I guess rotting tipends do indicate a serious problem. Please help further. Also, is it the correct time to plant the best 3 out of them to separate pots? Do pour in with your suggestions. Peace.
420-magazine-mobile1442333925.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1860660884.jpg
420-magazine-mobile706464108.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1382427916.jpg

Hi! So after reading, I let them grow outdoors, they are getting 10-12 hours of good sunlight on them. Been now noticing a bit of problems with the leaves. The one in the middle is a clone of a male sativa probably, it was in the wild so I got it.
420-magazine-mobile721638728.jpg
Spot, clawing and I guess rotting tipends do indicate a serious problem. Please help further. Also, is it the correct time to plant the best 3 out of them to separate pots? Do pour in with your suggestions. Peace.
420-magazine-mobile1442333925.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1860660884.jpg
420-magazine-mobile706464108.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1382427916.jpg

I am subbed and I want to help so please don't take this the wrong way:

You added what is "probably" a clone from a male plant that you found in the wild to an 8"-10" diameter pot in addition to the 10 seedlings residing there already? That's how I read it, so I am a little confused. Did you root this Clone cutting or was it just a plant that you found and dug up?

I should mention that taking the first grower's advice of separating these Plants would have been a good idea initially; personally, I am concerned that at that stage of growth their root systems have already found the other plants' tap root systems at the bottom of this very small space you've given them. I think they will be entangled soon, creating a nightmare for you to deal with later the longer that they stay this way. You need to move them A.S.A.P. and avoid planting seeds together in the same pot in the future.

Avoid bringing males, let alone a plant that hasn't been quarantined from the wild, into your growth environment if you want to grow a sinsemilla crop of stank buds; you will lower the quality of your product unless you are trying to breed, in which case you just need to give the males another growing space that is separate from your females so that you can control their breeding. You also need to quarantine ANY PLANT/CLONE that you bring in from the outdoors or any another distributor/breeder/grower. You do not want to deal with pests or disease spreading to a large crop that you have worked hard to keep healthy; it wastes your time, money and can ruin your product.

The spotting and browning could be from over-watering or adding nutrients to the soil too early; I added nutrients to my first batch and fried a bunch of plants so I could tell you a few things about some of the weird growth patterns that they exhibit with nutrient overload (sometimes they look quite deformed). It doesn't make sense for it to be another deficiency currently, given their age. Are you giving them pH corrected water? What does your planting medium consist of?

You need to do some reading, it will answer so much of this all at once. I have recommended some books to you in my last post.

Education is a luxurious necessity in our current world, even though it shouldn't be that way. Many people in other places on the planet greatly envy us for having this opportunity to learn whatever we want to; just having that choice and convenience to pick up a book off of a shelf, a book that just so happens to teach you everything that you ever wanted to know about gardening your favorite plant, is an unfortunate evolutionary advantage that we should not take for granted. Many people on Earth grow up without an opportunity to know what that advantage feels like, yet there are so many of us here that squander it, and I am still one of them in many ways myself. I am on my very first bloom right now at Flowering Week 4.5, I am not far ahead of you in the amount of experience that I have as a grower, but I have books.

I think you can potentially save these seedlings if you are gentle and methodical with their separation. Avoid high tension on the dirt around the roots; you should use a one-handed gardening spade to cut a 2"-3" cylinder around the diameter of each plant, all the way to the bottom. Avoid pulling this cut tube of roots up by the plant itself and break the dirt up around the diameter of the root tube with a knife. Feel the dirt with your hands and move slowly, submerging your fingers around each plant cylinder; if you feel some pressure give or almost a tearing sensation from the dirt, you may be tearing a root with what you are doing. Your goal is to pull up each cylinder of dirt for a transplant without damaging or doing as little damage as possible to any of the root structure, especially the primary tap root. This is going to be harder than normal for you because you put everything in one pot, not to mention the close proximity within that pot.

After this, you need to transplant each to their own pot, with the transplants' topsoil level being near the top edge of whatever deep pot you choose for them. Leave a 1/4" lip between their topsoil and the pot's edge, allowing for water to reside in a pool before it is soaked by the soil instead of overflowing. Before putting the transplant in, put enough soil below it in the pot so that you can raise the topsoil level to where I mentioned. After you have moved each seedling to a new pot, fill in soil around the transplanted cylinder of soil until the empty space is filled to the original cylinder top soil's level. Water them with 5.5-6.5 pH corrected water only. These are babies, using excessive N-P-K can overload them until they are well-established. Next time, I recommend germinating in standard-sized Solo Cups; when you transplant, you can either cut the bottom half of the cup off, then plant the cup, or you can turn your cup upside down and let it fall out with little effort (thanks gravity).

Take $40.00 to Barnes & Noble and buy a book that shows you a step-by-step map of how to approach the entire process from start to finish. It is how I got started and I didn't have to rely on other people's schedules to answer my questions, especially considering that time wasted not solving an issue with these plants can kill them very quickly. Don't waste time, educate yourself, doing so will help you grow some dank!

I am subbed and I want to help so please don't take this the wrong way:

You added what is "probably" a clone from a male plant that you found in the wild to an 8"-10" diameter pot in addition to the 10 seedlings residing there already? That's how I read it, so I am a little confused. Did you root this Clone cutting or was it just a plant that you found and dug up?

I should mention that taking the first grower's advice of separating these Plants would have been a good idea initially; personally, I am concerned that at that stage of growth their root systems have already found the other plants' tap root systems at the bottom of this very small space you've given them. I think they will be entangled soon, creating a nightmare for you to deal with later the longer that they stay this way. You need to move them A.S.A.P. and avoid planting seeds together in the same pot in the future.

Avoid bringing males, let alone a plant that hasn't been quarantined from the wild, into your growth environment if you want to grow a sinsemilla crop of stank buds; you will lower the quality of your product unless you are trying to breed, in which case you just need to give the males another growing space that is separate from your females so that you can control their breeding. You also need to quarantine ANY PLANT/CLONE that you bring in from the outdoors or any another distributor/breeder/grower. You do not want to deal with pests or disease spreading to a large crop that you have worked hard to keep healthy; it wastes your time, money and can ruin your product.

The spotting and browning could be from over-watering or adding nutrients to the soil too early; I added nutrients to my first batch and fried a bunch of plants so I could tell you a few things about some of the weird growth patterns that they exhibit with nutrient overload (sometimes they look quite deformed). It doesn't make sense for it to be another deficiency currently, given their age. Are you giving them pH corrected water? What does your planting medium consist of?

You need to do some reading, it will answer so much of this all at once. I have recommended some books to you in my last post.

Education is a luxurious necessity in our current world, even though it shouldn't be that way. Many people in other places on the planet greatly envy us for having this opportunity to learn whatever we want to; just having that choice and convenience to pick up a book off of a shelf, a book that just so happens to teach you everything that you ever wanted to know about gardening your favorite plant, is an unfortunate evolutionary advantage that we should not take for granted. Many people on Earth grow up without an opportunity to know what that advantage feels like, yet there are so many of us here that squander it, and I am still one of them in many ways myself. I am on my very first bloom right now at Flowering Week 4.5, I am not far ahead of you in the amount of experience that I have as a grower, but I have books.

I think you can potentially save these seedlings if you are gentle and methodical with their separation. Avoid high tension on the dirt around the roots; you should use a one-handed gardening spade to cut a 2"-3" cylinder around the diameter of each plant, all the way to the bottom. Avoid pulling this cut tube of roots up by the plant itself and break the dirt up around the diameter of the root tube with a knife. Feel the dirt with your hands and move slowly, submerging your fingers around each plant cylinder; if you feel some pressure give or almost a tearing sensation from the dirt, you may be tearing a root with what you are doing. Your goal is to pull up each cylinder of dirt for a transplant without damaging or doing as little damage as possible to any of the root structure, especially the primary tap root. This is going to be harder than normal for you because you put everything in one pot, not to mention the close proximity within that pot.

After this, you need to transplant each to their own pot, with the transplants' topsoil level being near the top edge of whatever deep pot you choose for them. Leave a 1/4" lip between their topsoil and the pot's edge, allowing for water to reside in a pool before it is soaked by the soil instead of overflowing. Before putting the transplant in, put enough soil below it in the pot so that you can raise the topsoil level to where I mentioned. After you have moved each seedling to a new pot, fill in soil around the transplanted cylinder of soil until the empty space is filled to the original cylinder top soil's level. Water them with 5.5-6.5 pH corrected water only. These are babies, using excessive N-P-K can overload them until they are well-established. Next time, I recommend germinating in standard-sized Solo Cups; when you transplant, you can either cut the bottom half of the cup off, then plant the cup, or you can turn your cup upside down and let it fall out with little effort (thanks gravity).

Take $40.00 to Barnes & Noble and buy a book that shows you a step-by-step map of how to approach the entire process from start to finish. It is how I got started and I didn't have to rely on other people's schedules to answer my questions, especially considering that time wasted not solving an issue with these plants can kill them very quickly. Don't waste time, educate yourself, doing so will help you grow some dank!

I did what you suggested earlier. Also moved them to their new homes, just 5 best of them. You were right about the clone, it just died, my bad but I learnt from it. Please Do check this out! Thanks for all the support and subbing.

First time for personal use

First time for personal use

Back
Top Bottom