Canada: Federal Marijuana Legislation To Be Introduced In Spring 2017

Robert Celt

Federal legislation to legalize marijuana will be ready in a year, Canada's health minister told the UN at a special session of the General Assembly in New York today.

"We will introduce legislation in spring 2017 that ensures we keep marijuana out of the hands of children and profits out of the hands of criminals," Jane Philpott said in her prepared speech to delegates.

"We will work with law enforcement partners to encourage appropriate and proportionate criminal justice measures. We know it is impossible to arrest our way out of this problem," she said.

Delegates are reviewing the progress and implementation of the UN's 2009 action plan on drugs to assess ongoing challenges in combating the world's drug problems. Three days of meetings will conclude Thursday.

Bill Blair, the parliamentary secretary to the justice minister who serves as Canada's point man on the legalization legislation, is with Philpott in New York.

"It's a great deal of work. It's important to do it right. And so, we're looking at regulations with respect to production, distribution, the retail and consumption of marijuana and we want to make sure that it's based on the best advice from experts." Blair told reporters on his way to the meetings on Tuesday.

The health minister said the government's proposed marijuana policy challenges the status quo, but will enhance the safety of youth.

The federal Liberal Party's election pledge on pot would breach three global treaties on illicit drug use signed by previous Canadian governments.

Canada's plans are contentious for some other UN members.

Philpott said that she is aware states will take different approaches on the matter, but is hopeful they can find common ground to create a comprehensive, collaborative and compassionate drug policy.

Immediate decriminalization?

NDP Leader Tom Mulcair told reporters he believes the legalization policy proposed by the Liberals is just another broken promise. He says the only thing the Liberals have done so far is appoint Bill Blair.

"There are thousands and thousands of mostly young people who will have criminal records for the rest of their lives because (Prime Minister) Justin Trudeau did not respect his promise to legalize marijuana as soon as he took office," he said.

Mulcair said if the Liberal government found the issue too complicated they should immediately decriminalize marijuana and address complex issues like supply later.

"It's a massive waste of time, effort and energy of our entire criminal justice system," he said.

Later, during question period in the House of Commons, Mulcair asked whether Trudeau would at least promise legislation to remove criminal records of Canadians charged before a new law is in place.

In response, Trudeau said simply decriminalizing marijuana does not help the government meet its goal of keeping pot out of the hands of children, but would offer a legal stream of income to criminals selling it.

"The fact of the matter is we've been clear. We believe in legalization and regulation of marijuana because it protects our kids and keeps money out of the pockets of criminal organizations and street gangs," Trudeau told the Commons.

Conservative MP Colin Carrie told the CBC's Susan Lunn that the announcement from health minister Philpott has done nothing but create more chaos surrounding the issue.

"It's in their hands whenever they want to bring it forward, It's unfortunate though that they're causing so much chaos with parents in communities and police forces. At the end of the day what is important to us is about the kids. Mr. Trudeau said he is keeping it out of the hands of kids ... let's get him moving forward on that," he said.

Carrie believes legalization is not necessary.

"If you look at the statistics that are out today, the status quo has been working. Marijuana smoking is down 23 per cent in the last few years. But he's brought this up, he's made it an issue let's see what his plan is," he said.

Cannabis culture demonstrations are underway across the country as pro-marijuana advocates gather in support of legal use on a day known as "4/20."

Philpott told CBC's Rosemary Barton that the announcement was not purposely made on "4/20," but the government capitalized on the opportunity to further the discussion.

"It's a day that we know people are going to be talking about marijuana and when we were aware of that fact we thought it was a great day for us to talk to people around the world about Canada's plans and our comprehensive approach to drug policy, including the legalization of and new regulations for marijuana," said Philpott on CBC News Network's Power & Politics.

Demonstrators, many of them smoking the drug, also gathered on Parliament Hill. Some members of the crowd were greeted and took photos with Mulcair.

Dominion carillonneur Andrea McCrady used her noon concert from the Peace Tower to play arrangements of tunes perhaps inspired by the gathering, including Puff, The Magic Dragon.

Parliment_hill_2016.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Canada: Federal Marijuana Legislation To Be Introduced In Spring 2017
Author: CBC News
Photo Credit: Getty Images

Thanks Robert!!

The only thing the government seems to talk about is keeping the money out of criminal hands and keeping our kids safe. Is this the only issue they have?
As a parent its my duty to keep my children safe. I can't possibly believe that my government can do this at any level considering they will still put cigarettes, alcohol, and any type of pill no matter what the affects into the hands of my kids?
I don't let my children smoke, drink, take pills or do any other substance that is already sold or offered by our government. I find this absurd that our federal government will prolong this another year and let its own citizens be dragged through the court system only to fight for their rights to medicate themselves.

Why is marijuana illegal? Or is it? Considering the fact that anyone can buy weed online without any identification or medical card, a little pricey but still available.
Anyone can get a medical card by paying 400 dollars to a third party without even seeing a doctor. This is complete nonsense in my eyes, is it legal or its not. There should be no discussion on this anymore it can't be legal for some and not others!!! Our government can't have it both ways.
As for the money part of it, even when the federal government have their fingers deep in the cookie jar. I will not pay their price as I will never afford what they offer, 10-15 dollars a gram that's criminal if you ask me. In the last 20 years the only thing that never went up is the price of green I get from the streets, dealer, friend, neighbors. 50-60 dollars a quarter and if you wanna drop 550 you can get a quarter pound pretty much anywhere.

So to my federal and provincial governments........ I will not get a license to medicate, I will not pay your price for something you feel only the people with money can access. I can grow it along with my tomatoes or get it at 1/4 the price from the 65 yr grandmother next door. This plant has kept my kid off Prozac, I control my own pain and mental issues without putting a burden on our health care system. I have watched the horrible process of chemo going through a 12 yr old boy. The only criminals I see here are those who control the laws!!

Another year that's a lot of harvests in my little garden. I still be in there when it's legal. haha

Sorry for the outburst it just drives me nuts that this is still an issue, with so many people needing something that works at an affordable price.

Ya they are right about one part. They should keep the profits out of hands of criminals... Them being the criminals themselves.

I get that we will have to tax it, I don't have an issue with that but to allow only a select few to to line their pockets at this time when indeed it is an illegal substance punishable by law. They are allowing our citizens to carry an oz. of personal weed and if/when you get busted with it, it's a appearance in court to have the judge throw the case out. What a waste of money

With all the rulings in the courts it gives a lot of mix messages of what can and can't be done.
Can I grow? or can I not grow?.
If I have a medical card then I can grow?
Mmmmmm only a medical card issued from health Canada gives you the entitlement to grow your own meds?
Mmmmmm only a medical card issued by health Canada before a certain date allows me to grow my own meds?
Mmmmmm there's a lot of people that have bought medical cards from online services that think they are allowed to grow their own meds? Mmmmmm Are they allowed?
Mmmmmm if I live in Britsh Columbia the laws are a bit more relaxed. So I can open a dispensary and sell medical marijuana like everyone else is doing?
Mmmmmm why is this still a debate? basically our government is telling us that as long as you don't get caught ....... Do whatever you want. Everyone is still making money from it and it's still illegal.

So my last thought on this is
Marijuana is illegal so I won't smoke or grow the meds!
I won't sell the meds Illegally to the guy selling it in his illegal dispensary(like their doing right now).
I won't go to the legal doctor and pay 400 dollars for medical card which I have to pay yearly to keep it valid, which should be covered by Health Canada in the first place. For some reason I can't find a doctor to prescribe MMJ unless I pay them.
I won't go online and buy marijuana from the people that call you back to verify your age buy how old and mature you sound, and then deliver it to your door vacuum sealed bag in 2 business days.
I won't do any of these things because it illegal, Or is it???

Sorry if I got carried away, it's just not right how they are handling the legalization of Marijuana.

Keeping kids safe is a codeword for corporate control of marijuana and corporate profits from marijuana.

There is no well documented danger to kids. Safety is not a real concern.

There is no requirement for Marijuana to be taxed in any way different than any other herb or vegetable in the supermarket. Since it is a smoking herb, there needs to be some investigation into safety of pesticides, etc. but this is a function well understood by the existing government regulatory bodies.

Noone will get sick and die from handling, eating, smoking, or vaping marijuana - not even the kids. They may get sick from the chemicals used during growing and processing marijuana. The only neccesary role for marijuana management by a government are setting and enforcing safe and environmentally responsible growing practices. All other taxation and enforcement is just greed.

Back
Top Bottom