Big Isle Robbers Steal Medical Marijuana

Herb Fellow

HILO » Big Island medical-marijuana user Larry Miller was in bed with a fever Monday afternoon when a man in a mask carrying a knife showed up in his yard demanding his marijuana plants and his money. Soon, three more men joined the first one.

Miller, 60, thought it was a joke. "'What's up? Who are you?'" he said he asked the intruders. "I kept asking the same questions. I couldn't believe it."

The leader said, "We want your stash. Where's your money?"

Miller, shaking from his fever, led them into his house in the Paradise Park subdivision, south of Hilo. He gave them his wallet, and the robbers started throwing things around, apparently looking for more. They didn't break anything, he said.

His marijuana plants were visible in his garden.

"I've been pretty poor the last few years," said Miller, a musician who plays the flute. He's been living on credit cards, he said. Miller uses his marijuana to help him deal with skin cancer, he said. His fiancee, with advanced abdominal cancer, also uses it. Three doctors told her 10 years ago that she had only three months to live, he said. He credits marijuana with boosting her appetite and keeping her alive. Miller has had his medical-marijuana card for three years, he said.

Miller realized when the robbers were gone that they also stole a knapsack with gold rings that had belonged to his father and grandfather. The bag also held money that he received as a cash advance from his credit card and was going to use to pay his doctor, he said.

As the robbers left, Miller asked if they were coming back. The leader answered, "I left you one (plant). This won't happen again."

Miller isn't so sure. "I've had a hard time sleeping," he said. Also, his marijuana plants and a weed cutter were stolen one night just two months ago, although he was not home that time.

The robbers were so disorganized that they took his flashlight from his car, used it to find their way around, then put it back in the wrong place, he said. They forgot to bring a bag for the marijuana so they stole a tarp from his car, he said.

Miller, who says he is healthy other than his skin cancer, has a small basketball court where he, his nephews and their friends play, he said. "I've had a lot of kids I've helped over the years," he said. He thinks one or more of his visitors mentioned his marijuana to others, and word got around to the wrong people.

News Moderator: Herb Fellow - 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Honolulu Star-Bulletin | starbulletin.com | /2008/06/12/
Copyright: 2008, Star Bulletin
Website: Big Isle robbers steal medical marijuana | starbulletin.com | News | /2008/06/12/

He will be well taken care of to ensure he is not without his medicine :)~~~
The area in East Hawaii which this happened in is a higher crime rate area of the Big Island. Yes with availability here on Hawaii, of Medical Marijuana and or for those recreational users, pricing seems to have fallen. What Hawaii lacks and can surely improve upon is it's "Safe Access" program for those who cannot grow their own.
Dispensaries would be appreciated by many here on Hawaii who are not able to grow their own. Caregivers, could assist greatly in this area, as this Island " Hawaii" has more available land, than all the other Hawaiian Islands combined.
We will be waiting for after elections this year as Gov. Lingle said to address the changes over the last 7 years of Hawaii's Medical Marijuana program. What would help us here is to be able to increase the plant limit of 3 mature - 4 in vegitative - 1 oz per plant usable: and for caregivers, some assurance and help in total patients that would be allowed to care for. Safe access. No Federal intervention: Excess caregiver medical marijuana could go to a dispensary, to be sold, and have the caregiver fairly compensated financially & be given a 1099 for tax purposes.
Aloha Friday

Back
Top Bottom