Green Team Kept Busy By Massive Crop Of Grow Ops

Rocky Balboa

IT seems the only things growing during a frigid Winnipeg winter are indoor pot plants and the number of illegal grow op busts conducted by city police.

It's been only six weeks since the new year began, but already more than $8 million of illegally grown marijuana has been seized by police at 13 homes at or near the city.

Police gave details yesterday about the three most recent raids of grow ops operating in different areas of the city resulting in charges against two men.

On Jan. 24, police busted an operation at 1054 Louelda St. with nearly $1 million worth of plants inside.

The investigation into this home led police to a home on Redonda Street Wednesday, where 270 plants worth nearly $500,000 were seized.

But Valentine's Day would yield police their second largest publicly announced bust of the year so far.

An early-morning raid of a house on Whiteway Road in Transcona netted more than 1,200 plants worth $1.4 million.

The bust is second only to a Jan. 15 seizure of 1,600 plants worth nearly $2 million at 11 Burmac Rd.

Police are not linking the three busts to organized crime, but they are part of a related investigation.

"It doesn't have to be some major organized crime group to be involved in this type of criminal activity," said police spokesman Sgt. Kelly Dennison.

In each of the three related busts, large amounts of power and water were being stolen to grow the crop.

Manitoba Hydro said that on average, a typical-sized home with an active grow op inside uses about five times the electricity considered to be normal use.

Dennison indicated the most recent busts may not significantly affect what appears to be a thriving pot-growing trade in the city, adding the number of recent busts may show a rising trend.

Dennison said the police Green Team Unit is one of the busiest units within the force and handles a number of active investigations.

Police also warn that grow ops are turning up more often in wealthier neighbourhoods around the city.

Dennison said the signs of an active grow op include papered-up or tin-foil covered windows, and people arriving then leaving at the same times every day.

And then there's the smell. "I can tell you, if you're living next door to it, you're going to smell it -- it has to be vented somehow," Dennison said.

Wei Peng Huang, 37, of Winnipeg, has been charged with three counts of producing marijuana, three counts of possession for the purpose of trafficking and theft offences for the Hydro and Water.

Barry Alvin Martens, 47, also of Winnipeg, is charged with two counts of producing marijuana, two counts of possession for the purpose of trafficking, and theft offenses.

Source: Winnipeg Free Press
Author: James Turner
Copyright: 2008 Winnipeg Free Press

The tougher the cops are on busting pot houses, the more will spring up to replace them. And I think every city should become "a thriving pot-growing trade" city. Let's hear it for the pot growers! :clap:

Yes, ripping off the power company is just plain wrong. The solution would be to legalize cannabis. That would remove the profit from those only in it for the profit. Let's hear it for the pot growers with proper etiquette and love for the plant!

a friend of mine has a full time job with the hydro company looking for where power goes missing. he has a gadget that is able to
detect the amount of flow out of a transformer . if it is greater than the meter reading then there is a problem. pay your bills. they want your money. as a larger consumer you are a valuable customer to them. for all they know , you are into electroplating or building your own autonotomic monsters. you need lots of juice for that.

I was driving to the Ski area last night and saw an HID lamp over someones garage and all I could think of was some crazy punk kid grower is gonna rip off this mans light because we failed to teach people the values that come with the Cannabis lifestyle :)

I was thinking something similar as I rode up the lift the other day - seeing an HID fixture on each tower (used for night skiiing). I think part of the problem is the fact that in many places MJ is illegal at the state and federal level. If someone is a criminal for using the medicine, why worry about a petty theft? Illegality of Cannabis
causes it to be a gateway to worse crimes that can hurt others. Of course, I disagree with this sort of justification for criminal activty.

Now you know, Boss, that isn't even a stretch! The previous owner of my place was a wielder and built a 1500 sq.ft. building for his business. I am going to build me a grow room in there when and if I get the funds.

Back
Top Bottom