1st hash making attempt

philthegeek

Hi all! Between grows at the moment but had some leaf left over in the freezer from the most recent one.

The leaf is actually a nice, very mild smoke. :)

Have generally been making tinctures. Results and methods for that on a thread linked in my sig.

But, i remember some luverly hash from my student days and have not had any for years. Time to DIY. :)

Anyway.....

Decarbed and dried the leaf @ 120C for 80 mins. Gave about 85g dry weight.

Put it in a bottle and added 400ml AR grade ethanol. Covers the crushed leaf in the bottle with about 2.5cm on top.

In dark fridge and shake several times over 24 hours.

Poured that through a tea strainer, and then through a 25 micron filter.

Repeated the above steps for a double extraction as per my tincture method.

What's left in the 25 micron filter on both runs are the trichomes. But..they have had all the goodies dissolved into the alcohol.

Gently scraped them off the filter into a plastic tray and put them in the fridge . The small amount of alcohol evaps off in an hour or so and leaves a crumbly "blonde" hash like substance. :)

Anyhow.........

Evaporated off the alcohol from the main extraction. Went from 800ml to about 75ml.

Put the broken up "hash" into a little glass beaker and poured the VERY green 75ml of alcohol in on top.

That is now sitting on a propagation heat mat slowly evaporating the alcohol off.

So.........am planning to let that all evap off, and compress the residue into a small block of hash that has all the goodies from 85g of leaf in it.

I'm thinking that this is a more efficient use of the plant material than simply freezing it, knocking the trichomes off, and trying to collect as many of them as i can??

Would be interested to hear feedback from anyone who has made hash, and then used the leftover plant tissue for oil or butter??

Potency of hash made from decarbed plant when you smoke the hash anyway???

Will post a photo of the end product and report in a few days.

Good times are having enough plant in the freezer to be able to tinker, experiment, and no sob if its a disaster :)

Seeyahs!

So the results.

Probably lost 25% in spills. :( wound up putting it in a beaker, saucepan of water on an electric hotplate outside to evap off the alcohol. When it got thick, bubble formed and splashed a lot out. Should have let it run over another 2-3 days on the propagation mat.

Anyway, a sticky black hash that is a pretty good smoke.

Small tobacco roll up with some small chips of this in it and i am as bent as i like. :)

Back
Top Bottom