Winter Hash

Co2 basically makes dry ice- as needed, instead of having to buy it and use it all at once.

Cold is to release the triches. Heat is to activate. Kinda why pot or hash brownies need to be cooked.

That is an awesome concept, Brewster. Alot of work yet your hash looks top quality.
I had an awesome yield last fall harvest ( about 4 pounds) and will be doing a shit load of experimenting.

I bought a stainless-steel hash press but the temp. had to be perfect . Heated it in oven at 220 then ran downstairs and viced it. Not quite willing to invest in hash press before but considerring it now. lol
I wasted a shit-load of kief. Ended up being dry and crumbly.
I will def. try the razor method, Joe. Bubble is good but I do enjoy the old school.
Thanks for the 411.
Cheers!
The blade hash mostly comes from when I grind up weed, on a piece of glass, I push it into a pile, the trics stick to the blade.

I will smoke it when smoking the weed all day doesn't hit no more & need that bedtime blast
also, I scrape my stainless-steel trim tray & get lots that is stuck on

Read this post here about using heat, scroll up to see the hash coil
It's like once you get it to a certain temp it breaks the bonds & turns it more liquid
You can get a better feel for it with the blade but a lot less product

I like this method, weather is not cold enough here in South Ontario at moment, I will have allot of sugar leaf trim to process in a few months, got a grow in the tent. I find that processing sugar trim on a screen is too difficult, leafs are too brittle and get too much leaf matter incorporated with trichomes. This process will give me some kief and looks to be good quality with less work, i will not run the remnants of trim thru alcohol, its too expensive. The question I have is. How easy is it to remove the kief from the outer plastic bag after the shake is completed. Cheers

I like this method, weather is not cold enough here in South Ontario at moment, I will have allot of sugar leaf trim to process in a few months, got a grow in the tent. I find that processing sugar trim on a screen is too difficult, leafs are too brittle and get too much leaf matter incorporated with trichomes. This process will give me some kief and looks to be good quality with less work, i will not run the remnants of trim thru alcohol, its too expensive. The question I have is. How easy is it to remove the kief from the outer plastic bag after the shake is completed. Cheers
Eazy when cold they collect in the bottom of the bag, shake to corner of the bag, turn upside down & they spill out
There is some fine dust left on the inside but it is mostly plant matter. I reuse the bag
Late next month is predicted to get cold so get ready. I reclaim my alcohol

Hey Scott and Joe - I've got everything ready for when we hit about -20 c but I'm wondering once I have all my triches in a pan - how do I turn it into a puck - heat, presssure???
So sorry I missed it..... sooooo late!! :lot-o-toke:
I bought a rosin press from Amazon for about 20 bucks. I heat it about 220 degrees for 4 minutes and press it into hash, Not quite old school hash. You can also collest the rosin on parchment paper, freeze it, then collect it. Nice pipe smoke.
In general, I think you need at least 205 degrees to activate the trichones.

Again, sorry I missed the notification. If I was following Bill, it probably got lost. lol

Nice write-up Joe😊👊. I have a question. Do you break the weed up 1st? I have a few jars of old buds I'm thinking of turning into hash. The buds are all ping-pong ball sized. Should I freeze them then crush them, or just run them whole?
I don't remember ever doing bud, but break it up to about 1/4 ". when I do the trim leaves, they break up from the bouncing around. You could try whole & see how much they break up & if not break them up manually.
I would still wash it after because there is oil locked up inside the weed not just on the outside.
Guess you get to be an experimental tester

I don't remember ever doing bud, but break it up to about 1/4 ". when I do the trim leaves, they break up from the bouncing around. You could try whole & see how much they break up & if not break them up manually.
I would still wash it after because there is oil locked up inside the weed not just the on outside.
Guess you get to be an experimental tester
Ok thanks. It won't happen for awhile, I still have some QWET to process, but I will report back when I do it.

Hey Joe,
I know it's a 100 micron bag, but how big is the bag? I'm looking on the zon and want to be sure I get whatever size I need.
They have monofilament nylon mesh, just nylon mesh...etc.
5gal pail size & that is 100 mesh = 155 microns I went with the cheapest, I think just nylon
Here is my latest haul
IMG_5290.JPG

Okay got it.
Silly question, are you using fresh uncured plant materials?

No dry cured also want it dry for washing for oil
Start with your trim & scruff first. Try it on a cold night even if it's just below freezing.
You will be surprised how easy it is to do

I know....I'm being a pain. ....but I'm a friendly pain. 😂
We don't have that kind of below zero temps here. The idea is to set it out to freeze, right? If I set mine out in below freezing temps here, I would just leave it out there longer?
Colder the better, I just went with -30 c outside because we get it. Also because of the people using dry ice, my cold is free. Here @Krissi Carbone used the freezer & just rubbed it on a screen. She made nice hash
I'm sure it will work with trim even just below freezing. Freeze it outside over night shake first thing in morning before it warms up. Or just freeze in the freezer & shake somewhere cool
You can be our new Guiana pig Ha ha

Just watched a video where they used dry ice . I would not put it in the bag or in contact with the bud or trim. When shaking it that way you are pulverizing the plant matter by smashing it between the ice
If it has any moisture in it, think of it as thin sheets of glass shattering or how a ball mill works
What you want is the leaves to slid against each other shearing the stalks of the trichomes

Just watched a video where they used dry ice . I would not put it in the bag or in contact with the bud or trim. When shaking it that way you are pulverizing the plant matter by smashing it between the ice
If it has any moisture in it, think of it as thin sheets of glass shattering or how a ball mill works
What you want is the leaves to slid against each other shearing the stalks of the trichomes
I prefer to try your method first.

Back
Top Bottom