1st post, 1st grow

q2rnf3

High all,
My first crop.
Here's where I started,
Not enough light,bad dirt,bad water,fluctuating temps.
10 Indica clones,5 strains/varieties
I split my space in half so I can veg under 400 watt hps or halide with cfl supplemental lighting,and flower under 150 watt hps with one 2700k and one 5000k cfl. I can fit 6-8 in veg and 6 or 7 in flowering. This plan is to have flowering and vegging at all times and a place for a mother plant when I find her. Everything I have read says that I don't have enough light but my ladies are thriving and beautiful.
Pots-Started with 2 gal and 3 gal,currently all plants are in 3 gal
Dirt-I started with a mix of mir/grow and steer manure,never tested
Water-I have not tested my water yet (but I clone in distilled water)
Temps-I do what I can to keep it down when its hot with a fan,but my room goes from high 50's to high 90's in a matter of hours depending on outdoor temp.I have it at high 70's to mid 80's currently and consistently now.
I use Liquinox Grow and Liquinox Bloom but only in weeks 2-4 for veg and bloom ( I really want to grow 100% fert free) But I am learning so we will see.
But that's basically 3 to 6 applications of fert (once or twice a week,depending on water need)
I have experinced these things so far,
I killed one by overwatering and over fert? I know I over-watered it (lesson learned,smoked it,weak but promising,it was in week 2 of flowering)
Heat stress and burn (problems with a back-up system while my 400 watt is in repair,mine doesn't get any where near as hot as this borrowed system does)
Fert burn from spilllage ( I am more careful of spilling as well as correct dosage application,I eyed my first application,now I measure)
Rootbound-Transplanted and all is fine with zero to 2 days stunt in growth (everything I have read said to expect up to 2 weeks of stunted growth,guess I got lucky)
Bugs-I got these little white flying things,very few,with no damage I can find to plants( I think they like the dirt more then the plant?) I used Organicide twice so far but they are still around.
With all that being said,I do have a "sea of green" in various stages of growth.
I even have a plant flowering under 16/8 just waiting for its space under 12/12.Only 1 and its a hybrid indica.
So,that's where I'm at.Here's where I plan on going
Light-Get my system back and go from there (its in repair,maybe another 2 weeks or less,I hope)
Pots-bigger,no transplanting,my limited space says 4 gal. max,but I will still grow in my 3 gal. pots as well
Dirt- I'm going to buy good to excellent quality dirt and learn how to test it ( never have but I can learn)
Water-I am going to start testing my water and correcting it,not this crop but soon
Temps-Doing what I can but my system actually kept the temp at 80-83 in this room so I think getting that back will help
Fertilizer- I really want to grow 100% fert free,but I am willing to experiment and follow a beaten path to bigger/better flowers.
Rootbound-bigger buckets to eliminate transplanting
Bugs-I use Organicide but it's not killing the little white flying things so I might clear the room and bomb it.No damage to plants I can find so far so I think I'm okay.
And I want to grow from seed, get the WHOLE experience from ,germinating to sexing to creating my own hybrid :)
Also I do not have a camera and its not on my list of things to do.If I ever have a problem I can find similar or exact pics on the net and use them for help.Eventually I will get/find a way to show my grow but thats not a priority.
I have cloning down,I follow 420 mags direction and use a 5 gal. aquarium that fits 12-15 comfortably( but I'm only doing 5-7 at a time),I use Distilled water and Olivias with a 100% ratio of success so far.
That's all for now.
Thanks for reading and welcome to my journal :)

Re: 1st post,1st grow

More about where I started.
Growing on the cheap at first ( as little investment as possible)
!st I had to decide to grow.I'm legal but in the U.S. federal law trumps state law every time.and I don't trust the local/state or federal government.Second was where to grow.initially It was going to be outdoors.This property has ZERO security so my best spot was on the roof.I started with 3, a week later added 2 and a week later added 5.
within those 2 weeks the first 3 grew about 4-5 inches,one started flowering ( it is now a hermaphrodite experiment) Can flowering be reversed? Yes. Whats the effects? I'm still learning but it was dormant for 3 or so weeks.Will it turn sexes? Don't know but it still looks female and is very bushy instead of tall.( I also got my first ever clone off her when she was 6 inches tall and showing her sex,but not quite flowering,that clone is now about 14 inches taller then its mother) The other 2 just grew.So I decided to walk around the property and take a good look at where I was growing and its just not secure enough.I can handle getting a plant or 2 stolen but I'm not donating.And I just don't trust that my Dr. recommendation will protect me from the law.So they had to be moved indoors.
I went with pots and I'm glad I did since they had to be moved.10,3 gallon pots for 1.50 a piece and 5,2 gal for .75 a piece.17.50$
Dirt-4 bags of 2$ a bag potting soil,1,10$ bag of mir/grow potting soil and a bag of manure 3$ (it retains water,but I won't use it again ) 21$
Light-I had to buy a light and found a 400 watt system for 169$ ( my space is about 4x4 so 400 watts is good and I can supplement it with cfl.BUT,my light broke,probably from being dropped before it got to me.So I need it fixed but can't grow without something.I found the 150 watt light for 69$ and got some more cfl and reflector domes 20$ and 10$ for the bulbs. 99$ and I'm back in business.( the 400 system is in repair)
So,just a little over 300$ and all I need now is a clone or a seed and water.
Next I started buying clones(140$,I just didn't buy smoke for a month to afford them.)and got a bottle of Olivia's root gel and some Oasis cubes,18$ and 6$ no more buying clones,I just do it myself( my aquarium is probably in the 30-40$ range but I got it for free(left behind by a former tenant on the property) it has a 7.5 watt,T5 bulb in it and works great,a few clones in a week and 100% success ratio after 20 days.
Needless to say,the cloning isn't going to stop anytime soon.
I wanted to have an outdoor harvest around September but as you can see that changed. But that's why I started with 10 clones.I could have done it with 3 or 4 for variety but I didn't know I was coming indoors before winter( I planned on going slow and 1 small step at a time indoors but got forced into,NOW)
Had to buy another 10$ bag of dirt and 10 more 3 gal pots 15$ Also I have 10$ in nutrients and a 8$ bottle of Organicide so here I am with A little over 500$ invested,over the course of approx. 30 -45 days ( could be as low as 300$ if I didn't need the 150 watt system or only 3 or 4 clones compared to 10) I have 5 plants in full flowering ( kind of small but buds none the less) Also have 3 in the 1st few weeks of flowering,1 died,1 is an experiment on flower reversal and sex change( i hear reversing turns a female into a male,I'm going to see for myself ) That's the original 10,from them I have cloned 12 that are either 2 weeks old or 4-5 weeks old.and have 7 more in Oasis cubes taking root as we speak.The 10 turned into 29 in less then 2 months.
I think what I'm trying to get across is it can be done very cheaply for those who can't afford to invest much to start ( like fixed income,or unemployed ) I am 4 weeks away from having my own to smoke and I won't need to buy someone else's buds.I figure I will buy 1 more quarter ounce and then just wait.I recoop my investment buy not buying smoke in 3 1/2 months.Then its all gravy
Next step is learning more about how to increase yeild with perfect conditions and possibly nutrients ( i really want to do a nute free grow just to see.After that or even before that I'm reading and finding what other growers are doing and will incorperate that into my grow.)
All in all the #1 goal is to smoke my own and #2 is to work on quality,whether it be growing with nutrients or Finding excellent quality seeds,feminized or not ( I really want to see it all so a male here or there is a good thing to learn by.)
I will find a way to post pics.I think my neighbor can help me with that since I don't have a camera.We will see. Until then take my word ,Its green in my room and starting to smell sweet. :)

Signing off for now,be back soon.

That flowering reversal experiment is a Granddaddy Purple.
A few days ago I trimmed of the lowest old growth ( 3 small branches)
It has a decent amount of flowering growth on it and smells amazing.The trimming dried and I just smoked a bowl and I have a buzz. Scale of 1-5, I would give it a 2.25 (c-)
The tingly light headed feeling lasted an hour or so.And there's one more bowl :)
The plant itself is stocky and thick.With growth going from 5 blade leaves down to 1 blade and back up to 5 blades on the newest leaves.And its 25 inches tall.I put in its pot on 4/9.It grew for a week then started flowering at around 6-7 inches,then on or about the 25th of April I put it back under 16/8 and it went dormant for more then 3 weeks.In late May it started to grow again and it is completely back in veg.At the moment it looks like its bolting.I'm sure its rootbound or close to it.So a transplant is in its near future.( more dormancy?) I turned into a toy, so whatever it does it does.
I really want to see it herme.(everything I have read says thats what can happen in flowering reversal back into veg) I can put it alone somewhere and just watch to see what that process looks like.Then I will know. I have 1 clone from her and she is 38 inches and just into 12/12 (today is day 3)
I know,Post a pic.
If all goes well and I can afford the camera I hope to be posting pics sometime in Mid July.

I gotta remember I did this.A 3 footer that I transplanted 5 or 6 or 4 or whatever days ago is having issues.
Bottom branches (lowest 14 -16 inches) Which happens to be 9 branches.On them the newest growth is dried up almost like its strangling and can't breathe.Out of all my transplants(12) this is the only one I "forced" into its pot.I am positive I need to transplant again,so that's what I'm about to do.
Note to self-Don't do that again,that has to be what is wrong. I did force it and it is the only one I patted the dirt down and around.Also the only one having issues out of all the transplants.
Transplant done,time will tell,its a beauty,I really hope it recovers.

101_2128.jpg

Finally a pic

Whats going on q2rnf3! Im on board!, plant looks nice and green!

Just thought Id add, If you open up the picture you want to add to your journal, before you upload them to 420 magazine, open it up in "Paint" and then at the top go to... "Image" then "Stretch and Skew" and I usually shrink it to 20% of width and 20% of length to make the pictures smaller and more manageable.

Im on board and goodluck! :popcorn::Rasta:

~Lebowskii~

Thanks GD. I think I got it.
I will try an update pictures of those plants in a week or two
5356.jpg
Blackberry clone,10 days to root,15 days outdoors and it started flowering,moved indoors 12/12,its about 20 inches and week 5 flowering

7259.jpg

The big ones get to keep the pot.Bubba clone's.I ran out of pots and room,so I went with "the strong survive" tactics

3606.jpg

Parts affected by a nitrogen deficiency are: Older foliage, going to whole plant, Petioles (rare) cases
Problems with Nitrogen being locked out by PH troubles.A goof solid N-P-K ratio will fix any nitrogen deficiency. Any chemical or organic fertilizers that have Nitrogen in them will fix a nitrogen deficiency., Peters all purpose plant food 20-20-20 is good, Miracle grow All purpose plant food, Miracle grow Tomato plant food, (Only mixing at ½ strength when using chemical nutrients, or it will cause nutrient burn!)
Waterlogged soil and Soil with low organic matter.
^^^^^^^^^^ That's what my plant has,waterlogged soil

Solution to fixing a Nitrogen deficiencyChemical Nutrients
Advanced nutrients Grow (2-1-6)
Vita Grow (4-0-0),
BC Grow(1.2-3.2-6.5)
GH Flora Grow (2-1-6)
GH Maxi grow (10-5-14)
GH floraNova grow (7-4-10),
Dyna gro Grow (7-9-5)

Organic Nutrients
Dr. Hornby's Iguana Juice Grow (3-1-3)
Advanced Nutrients Mother Earth Grow (1.5-.75-1.5)
Earthjuice Grow (2-1-1),
Pure Blend Pro (3-1.5-4)
Bone Meal(0-10-0)
Blood Meal(12-0-0)
Fish Emulsion (5-1-1)
Seabird Guano (11-13-3)
Crab Shells(2.5-3.0-.5)
Pure Blend Grow (0.4-.01-.5)
Marine Cuisine (10-7-7)
MaxiCrop Seaweed (1-0-3)
Super Tea (5-5-1)
Mexican Bat Guano (10-2-0)
Sea Island Jamaican Bat Guano (1-10-0)
Kelp Meal (1-0-2)
Seaweed Plus Iron
Neptune's Harvest (2-4-0.5)
Alaska Start-Up(2-1-2)
Bio-Grow (1.8-0.1-6.6)
Age old Grow (12-6-6)
AGE Old Kelp (.30-.25-.15)
Neptune's Harvest (2-4-1)
Maxicrop Seweed(.1-0-1)
METANATURALS Organic grow (3-3-3)
METANATURALS Organic nitrogen (16-0-0)
That's what I think is wrong with this plant.And the possible solutions.
I know its a dirt issue.Don't know about this plant but I am definitely improving the dirt starting with the next plant I pot.
Everything has kind of slowed down at the moment mostly because of lightimg issues.Can't justify investing any $ into lights when I have a system in repair,so I just wait.*twiddling thumbs*.

Ya,that plant is a trip.I'm not keeping track or paying close attention.It's not dated because I saw it as a throwaway.But I think its around 6-7 weeks vegging,outdoors.It's lowest branches are as tall or close to the same height as the trunk.Starting to grow 3 bladed leaves now.

that sick plant was definitely nute burn.combined with over-watered and a transplant,twice.as it grows its easier to see it in the live growth.Pretty much have or will lose the bottom half of this plant as it flowers.but it is recovering.

Unfortunately I have light issues.Since I took it in for repair I had to split what I have between 2 approx 4x4 areas.It's not enough and my plants are growing slower,flowerring slower and the buds are not as dense or big as they would be with better light.I'm kind of stuck in limbo.I won't spend any $ when it's just a matter of time.But I have done some improvement on lining the walls of my grow area and made my dirt more drainable.Live by a beach so I got some rock and sand.Rock lining the bottom of pots and added sand to the dirt.And I think I'm going to journal a grow from start to finish when I get my light back.Still working on a camera too.
1 step at a time

Going in pots tomorrow is 2 Blackberry,75% indica/25% sativa ,clones
And 1 Bubba,indica,clone
Started by the "how to clone" instructions with Olivia's root gel in Oasis cubes
22 days to roots showing through cubes (bubba was 19 days)

Back
Top Bottom