2nd Grow

OTFmoney

Doing some planning for an outdoor grow for the Spring. I recently finished my first grow. She popped out 41 grams which was very surprising to me, it being my 1st time. Most of my help coming from YOU (420 user). Salute to you I greatly appreciate it. As I stated, I'm prepping for the 2016 grow. I came across some seeds from a bag of some good killa (weed) I bought from a buddy. I know these aren't high quality seeds but the strain (which I have no idea of) was good. Got me blazed & it smelled pretty good. Nice nugs not airy at all. Just had seeds, the only problem. I'm probably going to use them for the Spring grow. How did the bag of killa (weed) contain so many seeds is what I'm wondering? Maybe the plant hermied before harvest? I got about 12 seeds from the bag lol I thought maybe I bought some Reggie or regular mexico weed but no it was indeed some "Dro". I know the term Dro is just a method of growing and not the "strain", we just refer to it as Dro around here. Either dro or regular weed around here. When should I try planting? April? May? June? Should I even try growing them? I'd hate to have a backyard full of plants that aren't "Dro" quality. Again, I know they aren't "Dro" plants cause they are grown in soil.

Lol we do the same around here but it's reggie, chron, or dro. It sounds like to me either a male made its way to the flower or it had "what I call" banana boats while is like a hermie but the female produced male flowers right at the end, I had a strain produced 2 seeds and didn't even see a male

Well DRO is only a slang that is short for Hydro. People use it incorrectly to mean high quality weed but those two are not synonymous. Hydro doesn't inherently make it better.

Either way the point is there is no such thing as a DRO plant that can't be grown outside.

The sooner you plant it the bigger it will get if you have the right soil bed. Just plant after the last frost in your area.

There are lots of places online to look for what to do outdoor but hands down the best thing is still to make your own soil and grow it in either a raised bed of your soil or dig out a hole in the ground for the soil. I was at a medical farm once in Napa Valley that had a backhoe and they would dig out 4'x4'x4' holes and fill it with a special blend. I saw 8 foot tall indicas that looked like agave plants with kolas almost as big as my thighs at the base and 14 ft tall and higher Sativas that just made you freak and that was late summer like in late August... no where near harvest time.

On you tube you can find lots of emerald triangle outdoor grow videos. It is worth taking a look at how they do raised beds and outdoor manicuring techniques.

:goodluck:

No but I guess this would count as one haha I've done a poor job at keeping up with my threads sorry for the late replies. Illnupdate more tho I've already started my 2nd grow. Planted May 7th and I have 10 sprouts about 2 inches above ground. I plan on uploading pics. You ever use Micronoc fertilizer? Outdoor grow by the way

Well DRO is only a slang that is short for Hydro. People use it incorrectly to mean high quality weed but those two are not synonymous. Hydro doesn't inherently make it better.

Either way the point is there is no such thing as a DRO plant that can't be grown outside.

The sooner you plant it the bigger it will get if you have the right soil bed. Just plant after the last frost in your area.

There are lots of places online to look for what to do outdoor but hands down the best thing is still to make your own soil and grow it in either a raised bed of your soil or dig out a hole in the ground for the soil. I was at a medical farm once in Napa Valley that had a backhoe and they would dig out 4'x4'x4' holes and fill it with a special blend. I saw 8 foot tall indicas that looked like agave plants with kolas almost as big as my thighs at the base and 14 ft tall and higher Sativas that just made you freak and that was late summer like in late August... no where near harvest time.

On you tube you can find lots of emerald triangle outdoor grow videos. It is worth taking a look at how they do raised beds and outdoor manicuring techniques.

:goodluck:

Thanks for the luck! Any problem with transplanting at an early stage? I have 10 sprouts all in different sized pots. I wouldn't mind experimenting different grows such as half in a pot and half transplanted to soil/ground. Also I live somewhere in TX, I dont think I could accomplish 14 footers lol but it would be nice! Any idea on how to help reach say 7 feet? Hahaha

plant early... I got ones in the ground the first week of February assuming they would freeze. It did not get cold at all..it is now almost 4 feet tall. Would be way taller if I hadn't topped it assuming I would put the clone indoors first.

Another big thing is you can dig a huge hole and fill it with top notch soil and compost instead of siting just in the ground. I was at this huge farm once with thousands of outdoor plants that were very huge and that is what they did. They used a back hoe and dug out a 4'x4'x4' hole for each plant and filled it with magic dirt.

That is a lot of work though.

plant early... I got ones in the ground the first week of February assuming they would freeze. It did not get cold at all..it is now almost 4 feet tall. Would be way taller if I hadn't topped it assuming I would put the clone indoors first.

Another big thing is you can dig a huge hole and fill it with top notch soil and compost instead of siting just in the ground. I was at this huge farm once with thousands of outdoor plants that were very huge and that is what they did. They used a back hoe and dug out a 4'x4'x4' hole for each plant and filled it with magic dirt.

That is a lot of work though.

Its so worth it though especially depending on the local soil. We had 3x3 holes filled with cheap potting soil (amended and treated with tons of town shelf nutrients and probiotics) and they got like 6 or 7 feet tall and probably 12 feet around. The stalks looked like two liter bottles. Meanwhile I saw some farms just put a little top dirt over the local soil (way too clay like for pot) and hardly any of them got bigger than 4 feet tall.

I'm gonna transplant my plants into a 3x3 with some Fox Farm soil. Only thing is, my plants are in the 3rd week of Veg. Will I hurt them?

nope...not if done correctly. Lots of videos on transplanting plants out there. You don't have to watch one about cannabis to get the jist. Watch a handful as some people have some nice tricks.

If the roots have ~ filled the current pot it's not a problem, but if the roots aren't ~everywhere you could break 'em if the dirt falls apart

I have transplanted rootbound AND loose rootballs, and have had no problems whatsoever. They recovered just fine. I do 2 transplants:
Babies: First from pop bottle bottoms to water or juice jug bottoms
Juveniles: The second from the jugs to 3 gallon bins or pots.

In most cases, the roots were loose and they got manhandled rather roughly before being settled firmly in their next-sized containers. I have lost none, nor did any of them wilt, as I watered them well after transplant and put them right under the lights.

Don't forget to sprinkle MYKO on the roots as you transplant! roots will recover very quickly.

Yeah I have transplanted all sorts. Being root bound makes it easier... but letting it get to root bound is not necessary nor generally a good idea.

There are very good techniques for transplanting and replanting and none of them really are designed for a 4 month grow.

Yeah I have transplanted all sorts. Being root bound makes it easier... but letting it get to root bound is not necessary nor generally a good idea.

There are very good techniques for transplanting and replanting and none of them really are designed for a 4 month grow.

LOL! VI! It's a matter of having the room to move them to flower. But I did choose to go bigger and fewer plants in order to ATTEMPT to stay within the law ... sort of. (nothing to see in the clone area, move along...)

You know you can fill a 5x5 with a single plant in about the same time without transplanting. There are many ways to solve relocating plants from one room to another.

If the question is how best to optimize the run rate of a certain operation then there may be something different to talk about... but inherently...we grow these for such a short time and the biggest pot needed is so small that there is no need to stress anything and just give it a good pot.

There are a lot of overly thought out things that people do thinking it helps (paper towels and seeds) but Cannabis is so strong that it deals with it well. This is another topic about growing plants not cannabis. In soil the point of veg is to build the root mass to support the bloom phase. In bloom the roots stop growing mid way. So you really have about 2-3 months to grow roots. That includes the first 2 weeks in a solo cup. So now we are talking breaking up a 1.5 to 2.5 month potting period into 2 pots.

That is all I am referring too. If it is too heavy to use a decent pot there are many things around that help. For enough money you can fully automate Hydro to a self filling external res. Then you can move plants in baskets from tent to tent. ;)

Re-potting isn't bad when done right just unnecessary. I used to put a lot of labor into that running a perpetual early on then I found a good size pot for my grow and that made growing much easier.

I would add as an addendum: I Use a highly aerated soil that is very light especially when dry. So my pots are light when dry.

Back
Top Bottom