3x3 grow tent what light should I use?

Autumnsday

420 Member
Hi this is my first grow and I'm trying to get the right light to go from veg to flower. I was going to get a 600w led then did some research and found out they dont give the watts they say. So I bought a 1000w led which is only 180 actually watts from the wall. I have 4 northern lights autos at week 4 atm and I want the right light for a 3x3 to do it all...so many different answers on the web. I'm thinking now a 400w hps??? Would that do it?

Attachments

• 20190821_171432.jpg
    20190821_171432.jpg
    443.7 KB · Views: 434
  • 1568505845727274377481694768054.jpg
    1568505845727274377481694768054.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 469
Hey :welcome: to 420 mag. A 400 watt hps would be good for flower as long as you can keep the heat it produces under control if you have a good exhaust fan it should be fine. If you want a light to take you from veg to flower look into a 315 cmh I have used one in my 3x3 with good results.I would recommend getting a Phillips bulb for the cmh as they are the best and get one that is 3100 k as that is the right spectrum of light to take you from veg to flower. Another option is Quantum boards which you can get from hlg. They are very good led lights that I have also used and really liked the results. I would recommend an hlg 260 in 3500k light spectrum it should cover the 3x3 perfectly and can use one light from start to finish. Good luck with your grow and any questions don't be afraid to ask the members here are friendly and helpful.

Hey :welcome: to 420 mag. A 400 watt hps would be good for flower as long as you can keep the heat it produces under control if you have a good exhaust fan it should be fine. If you want a light to take you from veg to flower look into a 315 cmh I have used one in my 3x3 with good results.I would recommend getting a Phillips bulb for the cmh as they are the best and get one that is 3100 k as that is the right spectrum of light to take you from veg to flower. Another option is Quantum boards which you can get from hlg. They are very good led lights that I have also used and really liked the results. I would recommend an hlg 260 in 3500k light spectrum it should cover the 3x3 perfectly and can use one light from start to finish. Good luck with your grow and an questions don't be afraid to ask the members here are very friendly and helpful.

I would have went with the quantum boards if i knew then what i know now. I second the hlg 260. the new mars lights seem like they do an amazing job too.

Yes I was reading up on the Mars lights too. But like I said alot of info out there and I have them started already..so need make choices fast lol

the good thing is, you don't have a 8x4 tent to buy lights for. if i was in your shoes with what i know now i'd get one of the mars lights. they don't cost a fortune, and no matter what in a 3x3 the TS 1000 is less than $200 canadian, and it would do a 3x3 quite well from what i've read already.

Even tho it only draws 150 actual watts it's still a good light? See my issue is I dont understand the lights and spectrum. With LEDs they say they are not truly 1000w and they state they are only as powerful as what u draw from the wall........so do the LEDs or this LED draw 150 w from the wall and put out the 1000w....or should I be trying to make the 600 actual watts I want by adding more LEDs and going by there actual draw wattage to make the 600w.sorry so new to this. If this makes sense even lol

Also, if you get more than you need that is dimmable, you can upscale in the future, and/or dial up your light as plants grow. I like HID lights for their price, but I don't have to worry about heat, and electricity is moderate $'s here. Summer they are in the cool basement, and winter heat is welcome here in Montana. Most of the new digital HID ballasts work for MH and HPS lamps, are dimmable and have super. My 1000W DE ballast can do 1150 Watts. On Amazon for $115 you can get a 600W HID with HPS and MH lamps, reflector and ballast that can go from 300W to 600W and run HPS and MH lamps. The 600W HID is the most efficient HID, I read.

Even tho it only draws 150 actual watts it's still a good light? See my issue is I dont understand the lights and spectrum. With LEDs they say they are not truly 1000w and they state they are only as powerful as what u draw from the wall........so do the LEDs or this LED draw 150 w from the wall and put out the 1000w....or should I be trying to make the 600 actual watts I want by adding more LEDs and going by there actual draw wattage to make the 600w.sorry so new to this. If this makes sense even lol

Don't let the whole watts from the wall be the only factor in deciding. the tech is moving forward so fast that statement just doesn't apply to a lot of the newer lights. cobs included give more light per wall watt than a bulb light. 400 real watts of cob light can equal 1000w of bulb light no problem. also i'd have a piss if i opened my tent at lights on only to find i need to replace a bulb that blew who knows when.

here in summer it gets super hot, but super cold in winter. it's easier to heat a room than cool it imo, so a light that gives of little heat is a must for me. also the cost of power must be considered, power cost in a medium size apartment was $200/month before i started growing.
you can get twice the light for the same power draw with the right lights.

Hi @Autumnsday, thanks for considering Mars Hydro as well, you can check out our TSW-2000, It draws actual 300w, and will do great in 4x4 space during veg and 3x3 space during flowering. If you are looking for a light that can do both veg and flowering in your 3x3 space, then this might be a great choice. Plus it has a high PPE over 2.15umol/j. with a price just 249.99USD. :green_heart: We have many growers get great results from the TS series already, you can check out @Ganjagrandaddy current grow journal as well. :D

Hi this is my first grow and I'm trying to get the right light to go from veg to flower. I was going to get a 600w led then did some research and found out they dont give the watts they say. So I bought a 1000w led which is only 180 actually watts from the wall. I have 4 northern lights autos at week 4 atm and I want the right light for a 3x3 to do it all...so many different answers on the web. I'm thinking now a 400w hps??? Would that do it?
Hi Autumnsday i have a 3×3 in it i started with a 300v2 from quick bloom then added 2 65 board then added 135 v2 red spec so i could angle the smaller boards for better penetration
Hi Autumnsday i have a 3×3 And I started with the 300v2 from quick bloom then added two 65 boards and a 135 v2 red spec so i could angle the smaller boards for better penetration all with separate drivers don't have any heat problems but i have good fans 6" in 8" out plus fan to circulate air in tent works great right through all growth
20190926_204141.jpg

Welcome. Also check out Shop | Budget LED | Best LED Board Grow Lights | Best LED Board Grow lights . They are also a sponsor here(10% 0ff with code 420mag) and they use Samsung chips and MagWell drivers for their boards.

We make some great lights for your space. Our 250w Red Spec has been showing great results for clients in similar footprints. All our lighting features Samsung diodes and Meanwell Drivers.

We are more expensive then other options you are considering. However, the components used drive the pricing different.

We are also veteran owned and operate out of Michigan. All our lighting comes with a 3 year warranty.

Back
Top Bottom