4 Strains 400W CFL Veg 1000W HPS Flower

Re: 4 strains 400w cfl veg 1000w hps flower.

Okay need a little help I think on figuring something out I have a few leaves on my plants that have curled inwards on themselves ph of waterings is 6.0 in the soil has a starting ph 7.5 and I have ammended with dolomite lime 1cup per cubic foot and the runoff I get is always around 6.1-6.2.

Using an ro/di water filter with 3 stage mixed mineral filter which is supposed to add back essential minerals but specs say the outgoing water will have a ppm range of 100-125 so I am thinking that the curling may be a problem of cal/mag? I dont have access to a camera to take pics but I believe some of my earlier pictures had an image of the first plant to have the curling leaves.

But really need to know whats going on here I should mention that all the plants that have this curling it is on the second internode fan leaves , I have read that damaged leaves dont ever repair themselves so wondering if I had over fed and caused the curling as the leaves developed would they pretty much stay that way forever?

Got the cam back finally and hope someone can Identify what is causing this curl well more like a roll in the leaves as you can see only a couple leaves at one internode show it on a few plants.
DSCF17913.JPG

DSCF17951.JPG

DSCF1816.JPG

DSCF1819.JPG

So I am thinking this is either A) nutrients a bit high B) ph is off or C) micro nutrient deficency

If its nutrient burn I am not sure what to do as I am trying 2 different nutrient schedules for my white widows I have only fed them gh micro/bloom 3ml/4.5ml gal 5ml florablend 5ml floranectar 2ml pro silicate 2ml calmag 1ml superthrive
The 5 himalayan gold were fed 3.5ml floranova/gal 5ml florablend 5ml floranectar 2ml silicate 2ml calmag and 1ml superthrive both ph'd to 6.0 runoff came out at 6.0 as well so would that mean my soil ph is down to 6.0 even though it started at 7.5 and I added dolomite to it.

That is the wierd part as the curl started after a feeding so I didnt think deficiency I thought ph imbalance was the most likely because of the runoff coming out the same as it is going in when its normally higher.

That is the wierd part as the curl started after a feeding so I didnt think deficiency I thought ph imbalance was the most likely because of the runoff coming out the same as it is going in when its normally higher.

Are those pics from *AFTER* a feeding with GH flora series at the strength on the bottle?

It almost looks like salt build up or the harbinger of nute burn. Do the leaves feel dry and brittle at the rolled up edges? Hard to tell if the leaves are drooping, or starting to claw. I saw PitViper in this thread, I think; he might have an answer for you from just those pics. He spotted my salt build up immediately.

No way I would follow GH's label, personally. My plants seem to thrive at 50-65% of the recommended dose, and my mix is way less hot than yours, I use half of those nutes at best. I am in water, though, not soil.

The floranectar seems to be amazing, from my limited use of it. Massive amounts of raw cane sugar and 5% molasses by volume, great for feeding the healthy denizens that live in the soil (or your hydro res, if you do not go with full sterility in your solution), and it does seem to have a noticable impact on bud volume.

Are those pics from *AFTER* a feeding with GH flora series at the strength on the bottle?

It almost looks like salt build up or the harbinger of nute burn. Do the leaves feel dry and brittle at the rolled up edges? Hard to tell if the leaves are drooping, or starting to claw. I saw PitViper in this thread, I think; he might have an answer for you from just those pics. He spotted my salt build up immediately.

No way I would follow GH's label, personally. My plants seem to thrive at 50-65% of the recommended dose, and my mix is way less hot than yours, I use half of those nutes at best. I am in water, though, not soil.

The floranectar seems to be amazing, from my limited use of it. Massive amounts of raw cane sugar and 5% molasses by volume, great for feeding the healthy denizens that live in the soil (or your hydro res, if you do not go with full sterility in your solution), and it does seem to have a noticable impact on bud volume.

Yep the pictures are taken about 2 hours after a feeding , The dose that I gave the white widows was a modified lucas formula at half strength 3ml micro 4.5ml bloom 2ml grotek pro silicate ( which is 0-0-3) and 2ml grotek calmax (2-0-0) floranectar 5ml and florablend 5ml ph'd the solution to 6.0 the runoff was 6.0 as well I am thinking next watering I will increase the ph to 6.2 and see if I get runoff of 6.2 , It just throws me off when there is no difference in the runoff as from everything I have read I was expecting the runoff to be a higher ph.

And just to be sure for growing with promix do I want the ph level to 6.5 like it is for soil or should it be lower as promix isnt actually soil?

I previously grew with hydroponics and used GH Flora series nutes. Are these specifically a hydroponic nutrient system, or can the 3 part system be adapted for soil?

I pour my res changes out on my roses if it is acid, on my croatans and hibiscus if it is neutral. The plants are all just in the dirt in the yard, and they explode after a feeding. GH seems to work fine in soil for me.

And just to be sure for growing with promix do I want the ph level to 6.5 like it is for soil or should it be lower as promix isnt actually soil?

Would be handy if Promix was more forthcoming in their percentages. It sounds more like a hydro (or aero) medium than soil, honestly. In fact, it sounds almost like an orchid medium. Moss, sea kelp and shrimp compost, and perlite. Promix tells you it is designed for a pH of 5.8-6.2. Having never used it myself, I can't really offer any more insight than that.

As for your pH not jumping around, that could have a lot to do with the GH series of nutes. They have amazing pH buffering. I had a few weeks where my pH did not change more than 0.02 when I got around to changing the res. This was with the plant growing 1+ inches a day, too. Again, this was hydro, not soil; but I can't imagine their nutes would become unstable when used with a different medium.

EDIT: One last note on the Promix, it is designed to be hot for 3-5 weeks from the compost agents in it. I would seriously consider letting your plants use that up before adding more nutes.

My leaves have a bit of curling as well. Look almost like yours. Otherwise mine have been pretty healthy and growing as expected. I use Lucas formula as well. But stick with The whole routine of no additives and suplements. Only thing other than micro/bloom I use is superthrive. I thnk you have a bit too much going on in your nute lineup but that's just my opinion. And from what I've been reading, ph in runoff should be around 5.5 - 6.5 ph which is where roots thrive. I use hydro though so I can only assist with soil so much. But you're looking pretty good, just don't do anything drastic. Peace:peace:

I previously grew with hydroponics and used GH Flora series nutes. Are these specifically a hydroponic nutrient system, or can the 3 part system be adapted for soil?

Yep you sure can use it in soil just uses the same mixing as you would for hydro but instead of nutes every watering you feed every other watering as the microbes in the soil are able to break down the nutrients better then in hydro.

Okay went thru that plant abuse chart and the leaf curl I have looks just like a magnesium defficency . And I did make a mistake preparing my soil as I did mix in a cup of dolomite per cubic foot but I forgot to wet it all down and leave it for a few days , and then because of my ro/di filter even though it does add back some cal/mag It isnt enough and I have only been using small amounts of cal/mag to offset it. So I worked a tsp of dolomite into the top 3 inches of each pot . But I did also give the plants a smidge to much nutes as a couple do have extremly mild nute burn showing on them

Yep you sure can use it in soil just uses the same mixing as you would for hydro but instead of nutes every watering you feed every other watering as the microbes in the soil are able to break down the nutrients better then in hydro.

Thanks Cateros! I figured this would be the case, just wanted to be sure. I still have nearly full bottles of the Flora system leftover from my hydro ventures, so if I can get away with not purchasing any new nutrients that will be perfect!

I'll just do like I did with the hydro and start at a 25% mixture of what the bottle says and go up from there.

+rep Thanks!

Great grow thread. You really need to get some reflective white surfaces on those walls and floors. I use this foamcore, white board paper stuff they sell quite cheaply at Walmart.

Great grow thread. You really need to get some reflective white surfaces on those walls and floors. I use this foamcore, white board paper stuff they sell quite cheaply at Walmart.

Yeah I have about 400 square feet of mylar but not damn incentive to use it because of having to wait 5 months for my MMAR Licences so the day It showed up I started my plants I just moved all the youngest ones in under my 1000w mh I figure they should grow a lot faster then the ones under the cfl over the next week so may end up getting them close enough in size that I can move the other 10 in next week .

Oh and the magnesium deficency is retreating in the young plants as well I borrowed a friends ppm tester and after my ro/di filter finishes with the water even thru a mixed mineral stage that is supposed to add back essential minerals the ppm was under 70 so I made up a nute batch for the little ones ph'd to 6.5 and watered them to 20% runoff . The test on the runoff water showed 6.4 ph so I had my soil a bit low for the past week or so probably at about 6.2. Will do a pictureupdate on the weekend.

Well the picture update is going to be a bit late as I dont have a camera till sunday so I thought I would let you all know and also most of the magnesium deciency has been taken care of a few leaves are still curled but all and all they are growing nicely I lst'd the plants in the one gal pots and will feed them on saturday.

Nute schedule change
Decided to go with a modified nute schedule of 6ml micros 9ml bloom and additives of calmax and Floranectar for feeding and instead of pure water will add prosilicate and florablend in between feedings.

For flower will try some plants with this same feeding as is recommended and add liquid kool bloom to the line up. Also going to try out maxi bloom as well and see how it works for me.

Well it turns out I am going to be able to make my photo update my Daughter came home early so I have my Camera back. So anyways these are pics of my plants they are now 22 days old to 26 days old and I lst'd them last night as well as some had been fimmed 4 days earlier.

You will notice in the pics they look a bit limp but that is because they are needing a watering tonight once the light comes on in my main room where I moved the younger plants under the 1k mh lamp to catch them up to the ones under the cfl's.

Here is a pic of my Flowering room as I have finally finished it as well and disinfected every square inch it is an old bathroom we no longer use so the floors and stuff have stains and what not that wouldnt come out as we have used it for storage for the past 8 years anyways here it is and dont mind the tub I know it looks wierd but I am able to use the space in there as the walls dont cast a shadow the way the light is hung.
Day_18-22_LST_d_1_.JPG

So anyways I decided to lst them 2 days before watering because I have noticed the plants become much more flexible when the soil is dry so when I bent them into shape they were very lively looking leaves but because of the amount of cell division needed to turn the tops and branches up into the light the plants are just begining to droop.

Lots of pics today tonight I will feed them and once they have sprung back to full health Ill throw up some more pics. Anyways enough text and what you all prefer to see DA PICS

Day_18-22_LST_d_51_.JPG

Day_18-22_LST_d_50_.JPG

Day_18-22_LST_d_49_.JPG

Day_18-22_LST_d_45_.JPG

Day_18-22_LST_d_45_.JPG

Day_18-22_LST_d_41_.JPG

Day_18-22_LST_d_38_.JPG

Day_18-22_LST_d_37_.JPG

Day_18-22_LST_d_34_.JPG

Day_18-22_LST_d_35_.JPG

Day_18-22_LST_d_32_.JPG

Day_18-22_LST_d_30_1.JPG

Day_18-22_LST_d_29_1.JPG

Day_18-22_LST_d_28_1.JPG

Day_18-22_LST_d_27_1.JPG

Day_18-22_LST_d_25_1.JPG

Day_18-22_LST_d_23_1.JPG

Day_18-22_LST_d_21_1.JPG

Day_18-22_LST_d_30_.JPG

Day_18-22_LST_d_29_.JPG

Day_18-22_LST_d_28_.JPG

Day_18-22_LST_d_25_.JPG

Day_18-22_LST_d_23_.JPG

Day_18-22_LST_d_20_.JPG

Day_18-22_LST_d_19_.JPG

Day_18-22_LST_d_15_.JPG

Day_18-22_LST_d_14_.JPG

Day_18-22_LST_d_11_1.JPG

Day_18-22_LST_d_8_.JPG

Day_18-22_LST_d_7_.JPG

Day_18-22_LST_d_6_.JPG

Day_18-22_LST_d_5_.JPG

Day_18-22_LST_d_11_.JPG

Day_18-22_LST_d_2_.JPG

Day_18-22_LST_d_10_.JPG

As you might have noticed I did give them a very mild nutrient burn but only a couple of plants were effected with any damaged leaves and there is a small amount of mag def still showing on these plants but that should continue to retreat over the next week. Also I have found also that doing a little hand cultivation of the soil ( just turning the top 2-3" every Couple days with my finger) something I read in Jorge Cervates Book really does help get the air down to the roots.

Well forgot to show how my little plants were doing that I moved under the mh 3 days ago hoping they will catch up to my other plants fairly fast.

my_little_ones_3_days_under_mh_8_.JPG

my_little_ones_3_days_under_mh_6_.JPG

my_little_ones_3_days_under_mh_5_.JPG

my_little_ones_3_days_under_mh_4_.JPG

my_little_ones_3_days_under_mh_2_.JPG

As you can see they are coming along pretty well the leaf curl is still apparent but that is because damage to leafs doesnt repair itself so once they look bad they stay that way but once they get a bit bigger will be able to trim away anything that looks really horrible.

Here are some pics of my big plants about 12 hours after there last feeding and they are looking pretty damn healthy to me.

Day_Sep_11_after_nutes_25_.JPG

Day_Sep_11_after_nutes_23_.JPG

Day_Sep_11_after_nutes_1_.JPG

Day_Sep_11_after_nutes_19_.JPG

Day_Sep_11_after_nutes_17_.JPG

Day_Sep_11_after_nutes_16_.JPG

Day_Sep_11_after_nutes_15_.JPG

Day_Sep_11_after_nutes_14_.JPG

Day_Sep_11_after_nutes_10_.JPG

So those are them I think they are about as healthy as I can hope for now was hoping some of you other growers who are more familiar with strains could comment on if any of these are looking like its leaning towards being mostly sativa as I dont want them to get to big.

Agreed. Healthy plants look like that :smokin: I had the problem with leaves that you ran into. I figured it was a pH imbalance so I corrected that. Plus I used FF Big Bloom in excess much too soon with a couple other nutes (FF Grow Big and cal/mag...total of 3 diff additives). The BB was hot and gave me, well...the ladies, their yellowing drying curled-ended leaves. My thoughts would be you just have one too many things you're mixing up.

The 1K MH lamp seems to be doing the job you wanted! How much room in between light and canopy?

:cheer::popcorn::cheer:

Agreed. Healthy plants look like that :smokin: I had the problem with leaves that you ran into. I figured it was a pH imbalance so I corrected that. Plus I used FF Big Bloom in excess much too soon with a couple other nutes (FF Grow Big and cal/mag...total of 3 diff additives). The BB was hot and gave me, well...the ladies, their yellowing drying curled-ended leaves. My thoughts would be you just have one too many things you're mixing up.

The 1K MH lamp seems to be doing the job you wanted! How much room in between light and canopy?

:cheer::popcorn::cheer:

Actually this problem occured because I didnt have a ppm meter to check what the water coming from my ro filter was coming out at the specs on the mixed mineral filter I bought said It should give me the equivalent to mineral water with a ppm of 125 including calcium magnesium iron etc etc So I started off using only 1/4-1/2 strength cal mag but when the problem occured in the leaves the only deficency that makes your leaves curl upwards and inwards like this in magnesium as you can see in the bigger plants that after adding in another tsp of dolomite and working it into the soil plus increased my cal mag dose to 8ml as the bottle recommends and they look pretty now.

The little ones I have 16 inches under the light to canopy in another day or so I will lower it down to about 12 inches off the canopy .

My Temps at the canopy is presently sitting at around 78-80 degrees the rooms ambient temp is between 75-78 however with a Rh of 50% but as you can see by the pic with the Dehumidifier I can lower that down to 40% 3 weeks from flower and the final week I will set it to constant drain as I have it set up so I Can run the gravity drain on it to dump down the old sinks drain pipe according to my Hygrometer I can get the rh down to about 25-30% and everything I have read says the drier it is the more trichs Ill get So unless I get a message that tells me I shouldnt run it that dry in there I will see what happens.

I have to comment on one thing that If people growing in soil arent doing you should all check into and thats just your finger to gently turn up the top 2 inches or so of the pot just like those old movies where you see farmers digging around the rows of there plants with a hoe, all they are doing is losening the soil and allowing air to get down to the root and I can say it does appear to be helping with growth was a tip I found in Jorge Cervantes book marijuana horticulture.

Well been a bit busy past couple weeks so have a big bunch of pics of the plants the ones I put under the 1000w MH have pretty much caught up to there 10 day older cousins and all of them are looking pretty good to me so far except for some very minor nute burn on some of the tips.

Currently 15 of the plants are receiving a nute formula GH micro 6ml ,Gh bloom 9ml,florablend 5ml,floranectar 5ml ,pro silicate 2.5ml ,calmax 5ml,superthrive 1ml, and a foliar feeding of concentrated kelp extract every 5 days. 5 others are receiving Flora nova grow 7.5ml and all other additives at the same rates these I am trying out a foliar spray called natura . So here are the pics tell me if you can see any difference in how the nutes are working Ill post all the Modified lucas formula plants first and the Flora nova ones last.
23days_old_-_34days_24_.JPG

23days_old_-_34days_43_.JPG

23days_old_-_34days_55_.JPG

23days_old_-_34days_56_.JPG

23days_old_-_34days_19_.JPG

23days_old_-_34days_22_.JPG

23days_old_-_34days_34_.JPG

23days_old_-_34days_40_.JPG

23days_old_-_34days_60_.JPG

So thats a couple of each of the 4 strains I am growing using a Modified Lucas Formula so here are the pics of plants grown with FloraNova Grow
23days_old_-_34days_48_.JPG

23days_old_-_34days_50_.JPG

23days_old_-_34days_54_.JPG

23days_old_-_34days_30_.JPG

23days_old_-_34days_35_.JPG

23days_old_-_34days_24_.JPG

So there is a mix of all the same strains using FloraNova,

Also picked up a clone and have one plant that came from bag seed that looks a bit strange to me but is growing healthy and strong but not sure if it is a bit mutated or not so here they are if anyone has any idea what strains they are either the clone or the Unknown seed that came from some wicked dank would love to hear some opinions.
23days_old_-_34days_1_.JPG

23days_old_-_34days_62_.JPG

23days_old_-_34days_65_.JPG

So thoses are the unkown clone strain I was given by a friend, here are the picks of the other one that I thought was a bit strange looking .
23days_old_-_34days_8_.JPG

23days_old_-_34days_2_.JPG

23days_old_-_34days_12_.JPG

23days_old_-_34days_7_.JPG

23days_old_-_34days_6_.JPG

23days_old_-_34days_5_.JPG

So thats the one I thought looked a bit strange the pot it came from the guy was selling as white rhino but I was kinda doubtful on that so any ideas on if this is just a mutation I am seeing in the fan leaves I must mention they are very tough and do not droop ever even the ones I removed to get more light down to the new growth remained very stiff for several days till they dried out.

Anyways here are some group shots of the family I plant to transplant them all to 3gal pots in the next week and if all goes well will switch to 12/12 on oct 7th or thereabouts.
23days_old_-_34days_13_.JPG

23days_old_-_34days_15_.JPG

23days_old_-_34days_14_.JPG

23days_old_-_34days_60_.JPG

You might be asking what the hell is up with the bath tub and the answer is landlord allowed me to have my medical garden but wouldnt let me remove the tub , I have found however it makes and excellent addition for doing my foliar feeding as the stuff stains very wickedly as you can see in the pick so at least its being kept in one spot that will be easier to bleach later.

Back
Top Bottom