400W - SCROG - Nirvana Papaya & GHS Super Bud

vietkush

INTRODUCTION:
This is my first time doing a journal as well as my first time using the scrog method. I am aiming for 1gpw.

Any advice and questions are welcome :)

BASE INFORMATION:

Strains:
2x Nirvana Papaya REGULAR (more stable for mothers)
1x Green House Seeds Super Bud FEMINIZED

Lights:
Un-cooled 400w MH for Veg
Un-cooled 400w HPS for Bloom

Pot size:
5gal pots

Medium:
Promix HP; Dolomite Lime will be added when pH drops too low in run-off

Nutrients:
General Hydroponics Micro + General Hydroponics Bloom at ratio of 1:2

2.2mL Micro and 4.4mL Bloom per LITRE of tap water (tap water is 130ppm) and pH is adjusted to a pH between 5.8-6.2; run-off should have same pH range.

A.K.A Lucas Formula (What is Lucas Formula, and how do I use it?)

Feed Schedule:
Feed-Feed-Water with intervals of 3-6 days between each watering

Humidity:
30-60%

Temperature:
20-30C (68-86F)

Ventilation:
Both the fan blowing over tops as well as 6inch extraction fan running 24/7

Techniques:
SCROG
Super Cropping
Topping
Defoliation

Re: 400w SCROG (Nirvana Papaya + GHS Super Bud)

i got a five pack of fem papaya. planted one. its a seedling, in a cup now. also, one black jack. fem. i have three chrystal reg plants. have to take some clones, of them all, so i have a backup, for the ones that are female. if any. and two mystery seeds.

Re: 400w SCROG (Nirvana Papaya + GHS Super Bud)

The plants are all from seed.
5x Papaya and 1x Super Bud germinated and vegged until sex was shown.
Culled all males for current 2x Papaya and 1x Super Bud

The screen is 1m x 1m (39.4" x 39.4")

Put under the screen 21 days ago and supercropped along the way.

Massive defoliation on January 7th, 2016 for two plants in the back of the screen. From that day, I planned to give it 7-14 more days of veg to recover and then flip to 12/12.

I am planning to flip on a day between January 15th, 2016 and January 22nd, 2016..

What do you SCROG experts think about my plan?
Does the screen look not filled enough; filled perfectly or over capacity?

Picture:
Front view
20160110_211505_resized.jpg

Side View; Super Bud is in top left and the other two are the Papaya
20160110_211450_resized.jpg

re: 400W - SCROG - Nirvana Papaya & GHS Super Bud

After ample research about when to flip, I decided to flip it today January 14, 2016 (First 12 hour dark period from 7:30am to 7:30pm)

Since the trellis is filled to about 80%, I will use the MH bulb for the first 7-10 days to reduce stretch by a little bit.

I will then install the HPS bulb for greater bud development and the final stretch.

I am hoping that by the end of the stretch, the colas will be around 10" since the maximum penetration of a 400w HPS is around 21" and the height for which my reflector covers the full 1m x 1m is around 11"-12"

I got the max penetration of the HPS from a chart that is posted in almost all cannabis related forums, including this one.

Hint: search 400w penetration chart on google images

I am ready for any comments, suggestions or criticisms that could potentially help me <3

Also, lowest night temperature in the room was recorded at around 15C (59F), so I have turned on the thermostat to 20C (68F).

Hopefully, the temperature of the tops does not exceed 30C (86F)... maybe pushing 32C (~90F)

I will check during the hottest time of the day and if it exceeds it, I will have no choice but to manually turn the heat on and off between night and day.

It should not exceed it, since I have a 6" extraction fan running 24/7, however, my light is not cooled.

Sent from my SM-G900F using 420

Here are pics of day 1 flower; picture was taken after the plants' first 12 hours of darkness.

I will update with pics AT LEAST every 2 weeks, possibly every week.

To anybody following this journal (I think it is zero people q.q) keep on the look out for pics of day 7; 14; 21; 28; etc.

Front view: Super Bud is on the bottom right, other two are the Papaya
20160114_202338.jpg

Side view: Super Bud is top right, other two are the Papaya
20160114_202326.jpg

Well, there's one person following now ;).
Looking good. :thumb:
I've been scrogging for the last year.
I wrestle my plants into the screens at the time I drag them into the flowering room, as it's too awkward to screen them during veg. It works fine. The amount of screen you have filled should be good. I find that it's hard to mess it up too badly, I often start with the screen a little over-full, and it's generally easy enough to torture them into submission, even with stretchy sativas.
I'm curious about your comment on adding dolomite lime part way through. I wouldn't think it would be necessary. Have you done that before?

AWWW YEEE, So happy to have a spectator to the grow :)

I have seen many people do the same as you (veg until big, then put under screen) on all types of forums and that was what I was originally going to do.
However, I have experience with LSTing plants with pipe cleaners and realized that if I can LST while vegging, why not SCROG?

I also figured out how much space between the pot and the trellis needed for me to water easily and still have access to the underbrush (learned this while LSTing in the past). It is around 8 to 12", based on grower preference.

With this grow, I have realized that vegging it while SCROGing leads to reduced veg time since the plant is growing horizontally and catching more light vs growing upwards and then wrestling it into the screen. I HIGHLY recommend you try it at least once, even if you think it is awkward... I must admit though, it can take up more of your free time than your method, since you must tuck the tops every few days.

BTW, you cannot see it in the picture, but the plants and the trellis are on top of a home-made wooden platform with castor wheels; dimensions of the platform is 1.15m by 1.15m (45.3" by 45.3"). This platform allows me to move the WHOLE set up away from the corner in order tuck, trim or water the plants, making it much more convenient for me to scrog while vegging.

For the dolomite lime, it is the first time I am trying it with promix HP (I have experience with using dolomite lime in cheap potting soil). I have done a lot of research on Promix HP as a medium whilst using the Lucas Formula and have concluded that the pH should be 5.8-6.2 going in as well as in the run-off.

I have actually applied dolomite lime once already and it should be sufficient for the remainder of the grow. I applied about 1.5-2.0tbsp per GALLON of growing medium. I applied it after measuring the pH of the run-off at around 5.4 or 5.5 despite having the correct ppm (I log input ppms and run-off ppm, which is how I knew the ppm was in the correct range).

I attribute the depletion of the original dolomite lime included in promix HP to my watering habits. I water about 1.0-1.5L of solution for every gallon of growing medium (avg of around 6L) and get around 1.5-2.0L of run-off. The reason why I water with so much run off is because I want to fully saturate the medium and also to prevent toxic salt build ups; in my experience, the plants are happier and have bigger root masses if the whole pot is saturated.

Im checking out your completed grow "The Green Hole" right now aha

Ha ha. People will trickle in, don't worry.
I can see the advantages and I'd actually rather have the screens on during veg, but the way I'm set up, it's almost impossible to get them through the door to the flowering room. Also the veg space is a bit on the small side for the somewhat larger size plants I'm growing now and it just becomes very uncomfortable trying to have screens in there. My grow is a bit slapdash sometimes because of lack of time on location (life) and so I tend leave well enough alone wherever possible. Most aspects of the grow are functions of necessity more than anything. You'll see what I mean if you check the journal.
I use Sunshine mix and the lime contained in it seems to last just fine throughout. I've become a fan of extra runoff as well. I don't test runoff ph much anymore though, as it seems to cause me more confusion than good. ;)

Good luck mate and welcome to the forum , nice grow :) how many grows you done before man , coz it doesnt look like your first so far ;)
My history of growing cannabis is as follows:

One failed attempt in 2012 due to life circumstances. 1x Nirvana Ak-48; 4x GHS Super Bud. All had to be killed.

One successful attempt in 2015; one LST bagseed and a clone yielded 115g dried.
Apparently, it was candy cane, but it flowered for 3 months and is definitely a sativa smoke.

This current grow which is also my first time using the SCROG method.

I am by no means an expert; I am always ready to learn and to consider advice from all

Sent from my SM-G900F using 420

Hey guys, I am back with the pics for Day 7 of Bloom (12/12).
I had to move the Super Bud closer to the corner (to make room for the two papayas' stretch) and definitely stressed it a little bit, but should be fine.

The MH bulb was switched to the HPS bulb today (Day 7 of Bloom) and the room is so orange now compared to other parts of the house aha.

I needed to tuck it about every 2 or 3 days. The following pictures are directly following a tucking session before watering.

Front View
20160121_200404_resized.jpg

Side View
20160121_200352_resized.jpg

RARE Top view of trellis to show how much space is left to be tucked into
20160121_210114_resized.jpg

Close up of Day 7 Top on the biggest Papaya plant
20160121_200503_resized.jpg

Back again with some update pictures at Day 14 of flower.
I have also increased nutrients to 3mL Micro and 6mL Bloom per Litre of water, as the biggest papaya plant started getting yellow leaves which go through necrosis.

Everything else remains the same. Unfortunately, there is still a little bit of space on the trellis that is not yet filled, but it is ok, as there are a lot of tops (at least 75).

I may continue tucking a bit here and there to bring down any taller tops, but for the most part, I will let the tops stretch for the final 2 weeks and hope that I get 10" nugs (probably will not happen).

Top view
20160128_200931.jpg

Front view
20160128_201438.jpg

Side View
20160128_201445.jpg

Biggest nug so far on a papaya plant; nug is located at the middle of the trellis.
20160128_201512.jpg

Yesterday (January 4th, 2016) was day 21 of flower.
The nugs are developping nicely.
The GHS super bud is getting quite frosty for week 3, compared to the Papaya.

Instead of defoliation at Day 21, I have decided to tuck the leaves under the trellis.
There are too many leaves and trimming will undoubtedly reduce the stretching, which is not what I am looking for.

Top View
20160204_224257.jpg

Front View
20160204_224756.jpg

Side View
20160204_224807.jpg

GHS Super Bud Nug shot
20160204_224945.jpg

Nirvana Papaya Nug Shot
20160204_225019.jpg

It is Day 26 of flower and I have some bad news.

I discovered a light leak that went unnoticed for 26 days. Two of the three plants have hermied (Big-Sativa-pheno papaya and the GHS SuperBud).

The Sativa Papaya started sprouting bananas on many nugs, and I plucked them all off, however, the pistils are brown and I believe that brown pistils are an indication of being pollinated, therefore, it will have quite a bit of seeds.

The Ghs Super Bud is sprouting balls, but only on the lower branches. As a result, I pruned off all the lower growth and got a majority of the balls. Today, I went in to trim more stuff off, as more balls were discovered.

The Smaller, Indica pheno papaya plant is unscathed by the hermaphrodite outbreak; almost all of its pistils are still white and the ones that are brown are because I rubbed up against them too much. It is the ONLY remaining female in the SCROG.

I have fixed the light leak and also lowered the nutrient level, as I am aware that over fertilization can stress plants and cause them to hermi.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Now, I'd like some opinions on the matter.
Since it is only day 26 of flower and the two plants have hermied, I have two options:

A) Chop the two hermies now, and harvest the Indica Phenotype when it is ready, which will most likely be seedless bud.

B) Continue for the remainder of the grow and get some seeded buds at harvest, with the Indica Phenotype potentially being pollinated by the hermies.

It is a difficult decision, as option A would significantly reduce yield, but option B will require me to spend a lot more time looking for balls or bananas.

Also, despite having a bigger yield, I will have seeded buds, which may be lower quality, but I CAN MAKE HASH OR EDIBLES!!

So far, I am opting for option B, for the following reasons:
1. A lot of time and nutrients has been spent on the grow
2. I've smoked seeded bud before and it is not significantly weaker than unseeded
3. I can make edibles and/or hash if the quality is not up to par

What do you guys think?

Hermi plant will Hermi no mater how many "male parts" are cut. Seeds from Hermi's will all be Hermi. You will need to cross Hermi X plant1 to get female plants. Once Hermi always Hermi on current generation. Collect Polen only and bag it on a few buds to cross. Sorry.

Cheers

Day 35
I watered with plain water pH'd to 5.8 two times to bring run-off to 800ppm and then continued feeding at the original 2.2mLMicro/4.4mLBloom per L

I am keeping all plants.

Front
20160218_193810.jpg

Side
20160218_193817.jpg

Sativa Papaya
20160218_212329.jpg

20160218_194002.jpg

Indica Papaya
20160218_193944.jpg

20160218_193925.jpg

Super Bud