Am I right on the deficiency?

CannaBare

Hey everybody, I am growing 3 strains: Chemdawg, Pineapple Express, And Chocolope. They are not doing very well up to this point. The chemdawg is actually growing but has stopped recently and looks as though it will start to develop yellow leaves. The other two have only one set of tiny leaves and the lower first leaves are trning yellow, very yellow. I tried to diagnose the problem and decided it was a nitrogen problem so i fed a rather high ppm this morning when the lights came on. I am running GLR 12 on 5.5 off 1 on 5.5 off. My ppm this morning was 827 and the tap alone was 250~. What is really scaring me is that i watered with my PH at 6.6 and the runoff was 7.5. Could that be causing my issue and it not a nutrient deficiency but instead a major lockout of all nutrients?

Chemdawg
6630.jpg
5707.jpg

P.E.
4930.jpg
31262.jpg

Chocolope
21402.jpg
11842.jpg

Thanks!

Canna

In my opinion, it is a rather small plant to be giving nitrogen to. I am new to this though, so maybe some with some experience will chime in. What kind of lights are you using?? What are your temps?? What kind of soil mixture?? How often are you watering?? How old are they?? How long have they been in the dirt?? I dont have enough experience to diagnose the problems from the pics, but if you could give a little more info that might help.

I'm using the tek 2 from htg supply so t5? grow spectrum. my temps are 75 high during the day and 68 low at night, i'm in a basement. its some kind of farmers delight no additives organic soil from walmart. It looks to me to be the most basic dirt one could buy. I water everytime i can scrape the top layer and it show more dry dirt, so usually one every 3 days. I believe they are 3 weeks by now. they have had a rough start i think. But soil is new to me and hydro is more of a science than mother nature. they have been in the dirt 4 weeks. they sprouted a week after i planted them. They are going to be mother plants if they survive. hopefully once they grow up they will be stronger.

Thanks for the question hopefully it helps!

I watered with the extra strong nutrients this morning and by now they seem to have more giddy-up than they once did. The bigger one shot up actually but the little ones just look like they need more love. I will be taking better care of them. I feel like the problem was my watering without nutes. Everyone advises against it in seedling but i think they needed it. Hopefully tomorrow they will get there green back :)

Thanks!

Canna

Nitrogen can still be used at 7.5 PH. But if its any higher it could be a Nitrogen lock out. Does your soil have any nutrients in it?? Could they just be overwatered..to death?

My suggestion would fist be to transplant them into 12 to 16 oz. cups. This will allow them to dry out a little so you can make more adjustments to the soil. If they are in a large container the soil will stay wet longer and making it harder to flush as often to control the PH and then you will get overwatering issues.

If your soil already has nutrients/fertilizer in it than my guess is it all comes down to PH.

What are you using for fertilizer?

My problems are always low PH.... I don't understand why your PH is so high.

... Smaller pots, flush until you get your PH down to... most people say 6.8 for soil.

Plant deficiency thread:
Current Grow Two 1000 Watt HPS - Grape Ape & OG Kush

I think it was an underfeeding issue. The soil doesnt have any nutes added at all and i mistook others advice not to feed in soil with nutrients. I don't quite understand the high ph either and it frustrating but i will try to transplant tomorrow and will report on the soil ph. Thanks!

I watered with the extra strong nutrients this morning and by now they seem to have more giddy-up than they once did. The bigger one shot up actually but the little ones just look like they need more love. I will be taking better care of them. I feel like the problem was my watering without nutes. Everyone advises against it in seedling but i think they needed it. Hopefully tomorrow they will get there green back :)

Thanks!

Canna

Most people say just water because the plant itself has most everything it needs. Also if the soil has fertilizer you don't need to add any at an early stage. A lot of people love there plants to death
the little ones just look like they need more love
thinking it needs this and that when it all comes down to PH and then they make things worse.

What was the PH of the
extra strong nutrients
?

I always water with water at a PH of 6.5 - 6.6. I always make sure of it. Thats why i'm confused about my basic runoff PH? I do love the plants i just have summer classes during the days so they don't see me very often. I do always say goodnight like a good father :)

I think it was an underfeeding issue. The soil doesnt have any nutes added at all and i mistook others advice not to feed in soil with nutrients. I don't quite understand the high ph either and it frustrating but i will try to transplant tomorrow and will report on the soil ph. Thanks

Ahh. If there isn't any ferts in the soil then yes, add some... and you did :) If they start coming around then you don't need to transplant to smaller pots. It's just that I always start in 12 oz styrafoam cups and that works for me.

Once you start adding ferts that will most likely start to lower your PH.

Best of luck!

You're killing your plants. Don't be feeding them anything but PHed water until they get their third set of leaves - then, feed 1/4 strength until week 3. You're going to need to flush them now, then let the soil dry out a bit before watering again.

You're killing your plants. Don't be feeding them anything but PHed water until they get their third set of leaves - then, feed 1/4 strength until week 3. You're going to need to flush them now, then let the soil dry out a bit before watering again.

I don't understand why I should starve my plants? I did exactly that at first and they never made it to a third set of leaves?

I was looking at your plant again and I found:

A sulfur deficiency will manifest itself as all-over chlorosis (yellowing of leaves) starting with the oldest leaves and may look like a nitrogen deficiency at first. The parts that are underneath the leaves may take on a distinctive pinkish red or orange color. The buds on a flowering plant may start dying off. Unlike other deficiencies that cause chlorosis, a sulfur deficiency will start at the back of the leaf and move it's way forward as opposed to started at the tips. Leaves become stiff and brittle and will eventually fall off.

This is most common when PH is to high...

The seed has enough ferts for two weeks. Those first two round leaves that pop out first are nutes. Could be over watering or low ph due to ferts or medium? The ground up bark is very acidic unless buffered

Well I'm back and the plants are looking much better. I still want to say it was a nitrogen deficiency but it does also sound like sulfer. I started to ph the water I would feed the plants with in hopes it would stabilize the ph. I know I know bad idea because of excess phosphorus but i felt it needed to be done. Can anyone let me in on some good things to put in my soil to stabilize it?

Here are some pics of the babies. Much Better :)

Chemdawg (She really cant be let down. Grows very nicely :))

8_2.jpg
7_2.jpg
]

Pineapple Express ( Recovering well, No more yellow so I am Very happy.)

6_2.jpg
5_3.jpg

Chocolope ( Same for this girl, Recovering very nicely.)

4_7.jpg
3_7.jpg

Let me know what you think of the mommies :) Thanks for all the help everyone!

*Also I doubt i will ever hold of on feeding my seedlings again. Caused more problems than it was worth :) and i can fix an overdose faster than a deficiency! :)

Back
Top Bottom