Amy Gardner's First Journal - Outdoor - Critical Cure & Chaos In The Forest

Hi, Amy.
Ok: i have to keep reminding myself of this, so i'm just going to put it out there: summer solstice isn't the guaranteed flipping date. Nature isn't calender precise with her whims & cycles. Think of SS as a prolonged due date (maybe due fortnight?.) - around that time.
So your ladies will flip when they feel strong enough to do so, and unless you see definite flowers, keep up with the veg phase training. Does this make sense to you? (I had a few hits off a j, i'm a little uncertain if i make sense right now. Nice flavours, though .).

Well those flavours aren't doing anything to make you less cohesive at all. Take more immediately!

Yes, thank you for that. It does make sense. They'll flip when they're ready... that's good. This year for the first time I'll pay attention to when each of them starts to flower and make a note of it (I have a grow diary now). I imagine from what you say that they may all switch at different times.

I had planned to go out and top & FIM the bush pod gals yesterday evening but I was too tired, so planning an early morning expedition (although with being awake now in the middle of the night, we'll see if I manage that!).

Ok, I took a look at your FIM pictures and I think you did a bang-up job. :high-five: I see two new tops coming up behind, and that was the intention, was it not? Good job girl.

About the compost addition..... I work on this theory that everything happens for a reason and at the proper time, and this principle applies to all the areas of my life, large and small. I can't tell you the number of times I thought I did something wrong in my garden and it turned out to be the best thing I could have done. lol! I'd classify that compost experience in the category of "Things I Don't Understand But Trust The Universe Does."

Your plants are doing so well, and the bush pods are a stroke of brilliance. :goodjob: When you go to transplant the ceramic pots run a butter knife along the inside edge to loosen up any attached roots. If you let them dry out well before transplant you'll have an easier time getting the bottom ones to let go.

They're going into good soil. They'll recover transplant well.

Step by step you're working your way into the art of cannabis cultivation, and doing a great job of keeping the crowd entertained and conversational. Lots of knowledge and helpfulness going on in this yard.

Gotta run. I've a lunch date in celebration of my birthday and this fabulous canna cream I make for my friend. Have a wonderful day Amy. Get some sleep girl. :battingeyelashes:

Ok, I took a look at your FIM pictures and I think you did a bang-up job. :high-five: I see two new tops coming up behind, and that was the intention, was it not? Good job girl.

About the compost addition..... I work on this theory that everything happens for a reason and at the proper time, and this principle applies to all the areas of my life, large and small. I can't tell you the number of times I thought I did something wrong in my garden and it turned out to be the best thing I could have done. lol! I'd classify that compost experience in the category of "Things I Don't Understand But Trust The Universe Does."

Good - I admit I did have some of this energy at the time. I could sense it was contentious so I thought to myself 'go with it... good things will come...' and maybe it's just nicely balanced :battingeyelashes:

I couldn't see the new tops you saw, in the pics or in person. It was just continuing on with a central top the way it was before. I've just this morning had another crack at it! fingers crossed ;)

Your plants are doing so well, and the bush pods are a stroke of brilliance. :goodjob: When you go to transplant the ceramic pots run a butter knife along the inside edge to loosen up any attached roots. If you let them dry out well before transplant you'll have an easier time getting the bottom ones to let go.

They're going into good soil. They'll recover transplant well.

Thanks Sue - the butter knife, got it!

Step by step you're working your way into the art of cannabis cultivation, and doing a great job of keeping the crowd entertained and conversational. Lots of knowledge and helpfulness going on in this yard.

Gotta run. I've a lunch date in celebration of my birthday and this fabulous canna cream I make for my friend. Have a wonderful day Amy. Get some sleep girl. :battingeyelashes:

Glad your birthday week is continuing as it should! and i'm blessed to have you visit while all that is going on :passitleft: (i don't really like how dopey those emoji dudes look, but it's the only one that lets you 'pass it on' the way I like to).

I am happy in my new gardening adventures. Cultivation is an art isn't it!? Different to just growing a plant or 2, I'm planning ahead now and seeing all sorts of possibilities...

:circle-of-love::Namaste:

Okay, let's try that again shall I?

Topping/fim-ing day, take 2.

I went out early this morning to the pods. They're not far away but I still have to treat it like a hike - need to dress for the bush and apply insect/tick deterrent to self (we make a delicious smelling blend of rose geranium, citrus and other goodies that works pretty well - and isn't toxic. It's great for ticks)

My plan was to top Professor Chaos #1 and try a second attempt at a FIM on the Money Bush.

Got to Professor #1 and the top looked ripe for the picking

Prof_1-preFIM.jpg

And then, what the hey, I'm trying to learn a new technique, so FIM it was!

Prof_1-postFIM.jpg

She's a real beauty. Has grown heaps since landing out here and has a super thick strong stem.
Prof_1-11dec.jpg

Prof_1-sideview.jpg

A friend told me that if the little 'pre hairs' on the stem are pointing inwards or crossing over then it's a female. I did try to sex these regular seeds before i planted, so maybe he's right. Or maybe it's folklore. They do point inwards tho...

Prof_1-lowernode.jpg

On to Money Bush:

Pre FIM

MB-preFIM1.jpg

MB-preFIM2.jpg

And post FIM

MB-postFIM2.jpg

MB-postFIM.jpg

The cross over thing is certainly happening here (and on my other feminised plant)

MB-highernode11Dec.jpg

This is one of her lower branch nodes - getting going now!

MB-lowernode11Dec.jpg

In general she's pretty spunky too. Not as much expansion since arriving in her pod as the Professor has, but I think she's getting a little less sun. It's semi dappled here in her spot. Full sun a lot of the time, but not all. I'm testing out this spot.

MB-dec11.jpg

If these FIMs work, hopefully these pics will help someone else trying it for the first time :thumb: Stay tuned!

Because this was almost another update, the very next day, I have to include the critters that greeted me on this expedition. Earlier in this journal someone mentioned the surprises outdoor growing always brings, and this is one of those potentials you don't want to be surprised by. Thankfully I wasn't and we had a little stand off before going our seperate ways before anybody bit! The thing is nearly 2 inches long!

bullant-macro.jpg

And because today there were 2 critters right there in the pod, I had to include this beauty as well. Unfortunately I think it's stuck in the pod and I'd already closed it up when I saw it (although I'd noticed a discarded shell when I was inside). How spunky is this dude???
Cicada.jpg

Cicada

Many blessings on all your gardens :circle-of-love:

:Namaste:

Amy Gardner said:
The cross over thing is certainly happening here (and on my other feminised plant)

MB-highernode11Dec.jpg

They look great Amy! It's not the crossing of the pre-hairs, it's the placement of the growing tips. When they grow from the center of the joint they're female. Yours is definately a female.

The males shoot their growing tips askew, off to the sides. It makes sense, because they'll be growing balls of pollen, and they'll want that powdery genetic starter to be scattered to the winds when they burst open.

To be honest, I'd never taken notice of the growing directions of the pre-hairs. You may be on to something.

By the way, ants are the true cultivators. They do more farming than any other species. Lol! They're the ones moving things around underground that makes everything grow so well.

Just one of those things I love about ants. I try not to kill them myself. Of course, mine don't come armed quite as heavily as the ones in your neck of the woods. :laughtwo:

I know! I've watched little ants farm aphids on a Sativa I grew a couple of years ago. They do that you know?! I didn't know. Was amazing, but not cool on that plant. They also use root structures to burrow amongst - we had a big patch of broad beans just fall over because of ants. I actually think that big fookr came out of a hole not far from the base of my plant so I may have to be nasty and take out the boron.

I'm also going to have to crawl back in there later today and help that cicada out. If it has no other source of food.... (they suck amino acids from the stems/trunks of trees. I don't want my money bush to be it's only option!)

Have you seen a 50s movie called 'Them'? It's one of the anti communist nuclear threat propaganda films (with a bit of a twist, from memory). These big bull ants we get remind me of Them! .

I know! I’ve watched little ants farm aphids on a Sativa I grew a couple of years ago. They do that you know?! I didn’t know. Was amazing, but not cool on that plant. They also use root structures to burrow amongst - we had a big patch of broad beans just fall over because of ants. I actually think that big fookr came out of a hole not far from the base of my plant so I may have to be nasty and take out the boron.

I’m also going to have to crawl back in there later today and help that cicada out. If it has no other source of food.... (they suck amino acids from the stems/trunks of trees. I don’t want my money bush to be it’s only option!)

Have you seen a 50s movie called ‘Them’? It’s one of the anti communist nuclear threat propaganda films (with a bit of a twist, from memory). These big bull ants we get remind me of Them! .

Yes I do remember that movie! :laughtwo: Whoa! Blast from the past. Lol!

I've started the thread for the Sensitization Protocol. I can't believe I was running around calling it a "Desensitization" protocol. :laughtwo: The slightly dyslexic part of my brain likes to play with me sometimes. Lol!

6-Day Sentization Protocol: Resetting The Tolerance Levels

Super, Sue! ..

I've posted on my first 24hrs.

Anyone else interested and game?

Pre holiday season seems a perfect time to reset the receptors.
:slide:

Re: Amy Gardner's First Journal - Outdoor - Critical Cure & Chaos In The Forest

Super, Sue! ..

I've posted on my first 24hrs.

Anyone else interested and game?

Pre holiday season seems a perfect time to reset the receptors.
:slide:
I regularly re-sensitize myself by laying off the stuff for a while. I completely cease any ingestion of weed for a pariid of time: is thia the genetal idea? Read about it on Sue's thread way back, it seemed a great idea, and i do it at regular intervals. So many reasons, but amongst others:
1) tolerance. I build up a tolerance rather quickly, and this leads to bigger & bigger doses, and i can only justify so much ganja per day, you know what i'm saying? (Cliche, Amy! I have never said that sentence out loud, probably never will, and yet, on the forum...)
2) there is such a thing as too much. When does it become a habit rather than an "as needed" med. I think.
3) addiction runs in the family. Yes, normal people don't get addicted to weed, but i've had issues with alcohol, and i'd rather not have to give up this LIFE SAVING plant because i can't control my own urges. (Note: not needs, there's a difference
4) the first smoke after a week of not smoking. . It's glorious, and kicks like a mule.
There are so many more.reasons, but this is a good habit to cultivate, if only to prove to myself that i'm not a junky stoner. (Stereotype, but the fashion really doesn't suit me )
I went through it a short while back, so i'm not in for this round, but let me know when the next one is. I'll be game.

I regularly re-sensitize myself by laying off the stuff for a while. I completely cease any ingestion of weed for a pariid of time: is thia the genetal idea? Read about it on Sue's thread way back, it seemed a great idea, and i do it at regular intervals. So many reasons, but amongst others:
1) tolerance. I build up a tolerance rather quickly, and this leads to bigger & bigger doses, and i can only justify so much ganja per day, you know what i'm saying? (Cliche, Amy! I have never said that sentence out loud, probably never will, and yet, on the forum...)
2) there is such a thing as too much. When does it become a habit rather than an "as needed" med. I think.
3) addiction runs in the family. Yes, normal people don't get addicted to weed, but i've had issues with alcohol, and i'd rather not have to give up this LIFE SAVING plant because i can't control my own urges. (Note: not needs, there's a difference
4) the first smoke after a week of not smoking. ...... It's glorious, and kicks like a mule.
There are so many more.reasons, but this is a good habit to cultivate, if only to prove to myself that i'm not a junky stoner. (Stereotype, but the fashion really doesn't suit me ...)
I went through it a short while back, so i'm not in for this round, but let me know when the next one is. I'll be game. .

Yeah - all very similar for me (sistah! ;)).

And I've always taken little breaks for the same reason (hell, during my degree study I didn't smoke during semester at all).

What interests me in that protocol is the way you reintroduce your usage. After 2 days without, there's a 4 day period of micro dosing and carefully gauging effects to find an effective dose (which usually turns out to take a heaps less amount to achieve). I've started a new 'dosing' routine with my newly made oil from a high CBD chemovar and have been having trouble assessing what's happening so it seemed like a good time to do this. Also - I've not been getting as high when I want to, so, reset!. (plus I'm a nerd, love a good 'protocol'). I know when my ECS is good, strong and receptive I'm a one hit wonder so I'm looking forward to reclaiming that ground.

Geez, I wasn't able to go back out to the pod last night and get that potentially hungry cicada out. Gearing up to go out there now - I wonder what I will find... .

Geez, I wasn't able to go back out to the pod last night and get that potentially hungry cicada out. Gearing up to go out there now - I wonder what I will find... .

All good - got into the pod and gently removed the Cicada. It hadn't eaten anything .. Then as I was closing up the pod I heard it making some weird noises and turned around to see it being attacked by one of those massive bull ants! What a sight! And so uncanny that they were the critters to feature in yesterday's update - locked in battle. I went to try to snap a pic or 2 and the camera gave that big long beep it gives when the battery dies! Ah well, just a sight for my eyes only. Was pretty speccy, and gruesome.

All good - got into the pod and gently removed the Cicada. It hadn’t eaten anything .. Then as I was closing up the pod I heard it making some weird noises and turned around to see it being attacked by one of those massive bull ants! What a sight! And so uncanny that they were the critters to feature in yesterday’s update - locked in battle. I went to try to snap a pic or 2 and the camera gave that big long beep it gives when the battery dies! Ah well, just a sight for my eyes only. Was pretty speccy, and gruesome.

You got some scary tough beasties down under - I am not mentally prepared for that.

You got some scary tough beasties down under - I am not mentally prepared for that.

. I sincerely hope the pics of those scary critters didn't disturb Rad. Seriously, if they do, let me know and I'll adjust my critter range!

. I sincerely hope the pics of those scary critters didn't disturb Rad. Seriously, if they do, let me know and I'll adjust my critter range!

Oh I'm mentally prepared from half the world away - no worries about photos.

I'm just saying it's not the local woods where I like to walk barefoot :)

Oh I'm mentally prepared from half the world away - no worries about photos.

I'm just saying it's not the local woods where I like to walk barefoot :)

. I'm quite the barefoot gal myself - and do it a lot around the house, but not without some vigilance it's true. We have nice wild grass, mostly prickle free, close to the house and in winter I even venture onto the bush paths a little. But the plants are a small 'bush bash' to get to so require full boot fortification.

It's sooo hot here today - little heatwave. I'm sure the bush girls are fine. Everyone got a big drink and feed yesterday with my first homemade seaweed tea, complete with a little Lactobacillus. The seaweed was harvested from the local ocean by my partner and we've brewed it for 6weeks with a biodynamic assistive added. I used a 1:10 ratio to mix it with water and added about 20ml per litre of my first homemade lacto. My proper outdoor growing career begins in earnest .. I also have a stinging nettle tea brewing (with a little lacto for assistance) just outside - should be ready for the next feed.

Anyway - the heat. The girls in the terracotta pots are still wet from yesterday's feed watering but I took some advice from DocBud and put an ice pack on the soil of each to help keep them cool .. Seems to have helped, they're not droopy at all and it really is very hot... too hot for photos!

Yeah - all very similar for me (sistah! ;)).

And I've always taken little breaks for the same reason (hell, during my degree study I didn't smoke during semester at all).

What interests me in that protocol is the way you reintroduce your usage. After 2 days without, there's a 4 day period of micro dosing and carefully gauging effects to find an effective dose (which usually turns out to take a heaps less amount to achieve). I've started a new 'dosing' routine with my newly made oil from a high CBD chemovar and have been having trouble assessing what's happening so it seemed like a good time to do this. Also - I've not been getting as high when I want to, so, reset!. (plus I'm a nerd, love a good 'protocol'). I know when my ECS is good, strong and receptive I'm a one hit wonder so I'm looking forward to reclaiming that ground.

Oooh, protocol just sounds so strict & rule-bound, i love clear parameters & perimeters (i'm very uncomfortable in life because i don't know the rules, and the rules keep changing, does anyone have a manual not spiritual in nature that explains everyday practical stuff, like why traffic rules only apply to some people. ??? )
Ok, calm again. After experimenting with different combinations & ratios, i finally found the right one for me, for now. 2 drops when needed, but i can get by on 1 & still function well. What i enjoy about knowing my dose, is that when i can't relax at home & whip out a dooby thick as my wrist, i'm a functioning member of society. When i only use the drops, i enjoy smoking/vaping so much more (let's be honest, i enjoy my medication, there is no law that says you have to be miserable when medicating, and i'm proud of the fact that i can rely on myself to provide this gift to myself and my family. My mom doesn't go a day without her canna pain cream, after only 2 months of using it she's on half her arthritis meds. She was once brainwashed... i digress).
Wake & bake...
If i have a choice, and no commitments, yes please. But life is a sober SOB, so it's always good to gauge where you stand. I'm on half my daily dose from 6 months ago, i would have still been on the full dose had work commitments not "forced" me to go dry (it was time for a break anyway, seemed as good a reason as any). Needs change, healing does occur, which also changes doses, i probably don't need to drone on. Still 100% supportive of the idea, but as i'm teaching kids how to cook, sew, garden & do art over the holidays, i NEEEEEED my j. 4 ten year olds on a sugar high cause mom kept feeding them sweets?
Amy, thanks for this lovely thread & journal, those critters around you are fantastic.
How has the weather been lately? Still rainy, or sunnier? Any changes in growth/ buds? Did the FIM take? Spill, girlfriend! (Ding ding ding cliche!)

. I'm quite the barefoot gal myself - and do it a lot around the house, but not without some vigilance it's true. We have nice wild grass, mostly prickle free, close to the house and in winter I even venture onto the bush paths a little. But the plants are a small 'bush bash' to get to so require full boot fortification.

It's sooo hot here today - little heatwave. I'm sure the bush girls are fine. Everyone got a big drink and feed yesterday with my first homemade seaweed tea, complete with a little Lactobacillus. The seaweed was harvested from the local ocean by my partner and we've brewed it for 6weeks with a biodynamic assistive added. I used a 1:10 ratio to mix it with water and added about 20ml per litre of my first homemade lacto. My proper outdoor growing career begins in earnest .. I also have a stinging nettle tea brewing (with a little lacto for assistance) just outside - should be ready for the next feed.

Anyway - the heat. The girls in the terracotta pots are still wet from yesterday's feed watering but I took some advice from DocBud and put an ice pack on the soil of each to help keep them cool .. Seems to have helped, they're not droopy at all and it really is very hot... too hot for photos!

How did the LAB go?
Seaweed & nettle tea... my inner hippie heart is rejoicing in the organic nature of it all... i'm so proud of you! Newbie grower, my tush.
I'd love to go barefoot, however vindictive dog doo, prickles galore & strange slithers make me reach for my galoshes. There's a lot of wild beasties around even though i'm in the city, 2 nature reserves less than 4 km from my house. And another 2 10+km the other way. Strange things lurk in the savanna grass...
Sorry about the gory horror show, i sympathise but they don't have a button for that, had to "like" the gladiator /insect/ to the death fight post. Eeeeewwww. Nature.

How did the LAB go? .
Seaweed & nettle tea... my inner hippie heart is rejoicing in the organic nature of it all... i'm so proud of you! Newbie grower, my tush. .
I'd love to go barefoot, however vindictive dog doo, prickles galore & strange slithers make me reach for my galoshes. There's a lot of wild beasties around even though i'm in the city, 2 nature reserves less than 4 km from my house. And another 2 10+km the other way. Strange things lurk in the savanna grass... .
Sorry about the gory horror show, i sympathise but they don't have a button for that, had to "like" the gladiator /insect/ to the death fight post. Eeeeewwww. Nature.

I didn't mind the micro battle, kind of liked it even. It's nature as you say, and it was fascinating. It's actually the second time I've actively freed a critter only to then watch it consumed by another. Once I very carefully 'freed' a beautiful stick insect from a spiders web and hamming it up a bit I said "Fly! Be free!" And it did for a few seconds until a kookaburra swooped down - MUNCH! LUNCH! And it was over! .

I think my LAB worked .... I'm using it so I hope so. The timing was a bit different to yours but the weather was super warm during the second stage and it only took about 48hours. I didn't end up straining as much off as I might've but it was taking forever and i didn't have much time at that point.

I was going to update properly yesterday but things got overwhelming here and I didn't even get out to so much as peek at the bush pods. A couple of days the the (hopefully) FIM'd top on Professor #1 looked pretty odd and not at all like it still had a central stem so I'm guessing that's a good sign. Today will tell. I can't get to them til after midday so that's still a few hours away. (We've had a workman here who we don't know and he seems fairly straight, doing great work for us, so I haven't been able to wander out to them and then am too wrecked at the end of the day). Will update this evening, complete with photos I promise .

How is your garden MA? The super-cropping? - I haven't dropped over for a while. Am planning to this weekend sometime. See you then.

Back
Top Bottom