Anthonyjohn's 400w HPS/CFL Blue Dream 12/2011 1st Grow

anthonyjohn

So this is my second grow journal, but first one on this website. I had a small computer tower grow setup with just cfl's which pretty much dubbed itself as useless.

Current setup:
Growlabs 60 Grow tent 2x2x5
400w HPS light with air cooled reflector and stand-alone ballast
Miracle Grow Organic choice potting soil right now with no nutes.
(2) 23w 6500k CFL
(1) 25w 5000k CFL

Temp: about 80f day and night.
Humidity:
Schedule: 24 hours of light:adore:

I have at least 2 blue dream seeds sprouted, the rest are random heady bag seeds. I started my seeds about a week ago in germination. Got all 6 to pop and planted them in paper cups of organic potting soil and water.

I have them vegging under a 400w hps light, (1) CFL 25w 5000k lights and (2) cfl 23w 6500k light. I figured a wide range of blue with the HPS would work well as my tent is in my basement. I'm up north so my basement gets like 45-55f at night but with the hps it stays around 79-82.

Are there any drawbacks to running the hps during veg? or mixing cfl and hps? Any input would be greatly appreciated

Uploading pics now..

Day 1
IMAG002419.jpg

IMAG002322.jpg

For some reason my camera puts these lines through it when the HPS is turned on.
IMAG0022.jpg

420farmer said:
I use an hps for veg. My girls are growing fast with no issues. Also, you stated earlier that hps produce a lot of blue light. Incorrect. They produce mostly in the red spectrum.

Nvm I think I just read it wrong! Lol my bad. I'd keep that 400 at least 3 feet from seedlings for now, maybe lowering it an inch or 2 per day, allowing them to grow, and slowly adapt to the light intensity. Lookin good so far tho dude.

Re: anthonyjohn's 400w HPS/CFL Bluedream 12/2011 1ST GROW

Nvm I think I just read it wrong! Lol my bad. I'd keep that 400 at least 3 feet from seedlings for now, maybe lowering it an inch or 2 per day, allowing them to grow, and slowly adapt to the light intensity. Lookin good so far tho dude.

Yeaa i wrote that kinda weird.. Thanks for the feedback i really appreciate it.

what size pots are you going to transplant too?

looks good man. should work out better than those dreaded computer tower grows. I have seen those things work but I have always been skeptical.

I will try and help where I can but I am no expert by any means.

becareful with the overwatering and the overfeeding and you will do great.

If your baby's are truly seedlings i would totally keep that hps at least 3ft up, and put the cfls a few inches above the seedling. How far are the cfls? Your pic looks like you have got it right to me.

what size pots are you going to transplant too?

looks good man. should work out better than those dreaded computer tower grows. I have seen those things work but I have always been skeptical.

I will try and help where I can but I am no expert by any means.

becareful with the overwatering and the overfeeding and you will do great.

I'm not sure what pots i'll be transplanting them to quite yet. I'm going to do a little more research on that in the time being.

Thanks for the reply!:thanks:

If your baby's are truly seedlings i would totally keep that hps at least 3ft up, and put the cfls a few inches above the seedling. How far are the cfls? Your pic looks like you have got it right to me.

That's exactly how i have it now. Thank you for your advice.

The cfl's actually added about 5 extra degrees to the tent and i had to open another vent. I'll be adding a small fan tonight or tomorrow morning. What should my target humidity be at this point?

I like to keep mine around 35-45% for vegging and early flower
and 25-35% for later in flowering. If your having problems with it being to low as the plants grow it should add to the RH of the room.

day 2-

All 6 cups now have sprouts in them. I added a small fan to keep the air moving and had to open the door to the tent to manage the temp. I woke up this morning and it was at 90f :eek: Anyway, not much to look at so I won't post any pictures. Any suggestions on when to start nutes? and any favorites i could get at a department store? (i know i'll get flamed for that) but the closest supply store is about an hour away.

Wait on the nutes tell about two weeks, then start slow. Maybe feed at 1/4 recommended. Now as for a recommendation found at lows or homedepot, I have never used them, so... I did read a good grow journal were this old guy ran a perpetual garden, using only schultz all purpose Plant food 5-5-5. I have never used it though.

I added a small fan i had laying around the house. I'm trying to find a smaller desk fan that can clip on but i can't find one anywhere. walmart, home depot, lowes, staples.. nowhere has one. I also added a small humidifier from cvs. It was listed for 17$ on their website but it was 31$ in store :eek: My humidity was only about 15-20%. I'll update when i get a reading from the humidifier. For some reason the digital one reads 15-20% but the analog one says 50%? hmm..

IMAG002513.jpg

IMAG002617.jpg

If there is a hydro store only an hour away go get good nutes!! Lol c'mon dude you gotta be more into growing than that! I drive 1.5 every time I need something

haha yeah i guess you're right. I'll take a trip down there when the excitement of the holidays calms down. I don't have much faith in the miracle grow stuff after reading some pposts about it. People have gotten good results but i expected to see a little more growth from my seedlings by now.

anthonyjohn said:
haha yeah i guess you're right. I'll take a trip down there when the excitement of the holidays calms down. I don't have much faith in the miracle grow stuff after reading some pposts about it. People have gotten good results but i expected to see a little more growth from my seedlings by now.

My seedlings started off a bit slow. I'd call it pretty normal.. Wait till they get another set of leaves and they will boom. Check out my journal if you don't believe me! At day 9 mine only had one leaf set with another set barely coming through.. I'm a month in now with bushy little freaks lol

Nice set up you have going...I have an analog one like you do and I always seem to get off readings on the humidity. I still need to get me a digital one. But happy growing.

Back
Top Bottom