Are these hermie seeds female?

onestickz

Sup 420

I might of asked this question before, but I feel this is best suited for a breeder to answer.
I had a female WW and I really don't know when she hermied, but my first sign was when I saw a seed in my tent. I paid it no mind until I went to check on them and found seeds in the buds. It was late into flowering so I let them go. Any way long story short, I wanted to know if the seeds female, hermies, or a mixture of both? If anyone else has experienced this or knows the fasts, I would very much appreciate your help.
Thanks and keep the grow alive

You found seeds in the buds, that doesn't mean it hermied, it could have just been a pollinated female. Did you notice any bananas on her or any other plants?

Both of the plants where female, and I saw no bananas on them. The only thing I can think of is heat stress or the timer messing up. Other then that, I don't know. Plus it was no males around.

A hermie plant and a female plant producing "Bananas" are two different beasts. While they both produce female seeds,A true hermie plant " a female with male pollen sacks aka balls" will produce hermie seeds. These hermie seeds tend to produce true hermies. They will actually have balls growning in with the flowers which pretty much ruins the buds that hermie.

A female plant that that produces bananas due to stress or survival is not a hermie. These seeds will come out as females but will be susceptible to stress. These plants may produce a few seeds but in my opinion will not effect the flavor or potency as long as you don't smoke the seed, they taste like shit.

To be honest you can grow both successfully. Removing hermie flowers are easy to spot and most people would prefer a hermie over bananas. Bananas are hard to spot sometimes and you usually start finding them during your trimming session. Just keep yours eyes on these plants while growing and you should be fine... I hope this was at least kinda helpful

If a genetic female produces male staminate flowers and pollenates itself, the markers to make a genetically male plant are missing from those seeds. So the plant grown is a female. Buuut since this is a built in evolutionary response, if you find genetics that go hermie from stress then it makes it more likely that trait will be passed on to the offspring plant as a favorable adaptation.

There are very cool things you can do with silver to force a female plant to become male and produce pollen. You can then take that pollen, and produce seeds with another female and it's a little less likely the plant will be prone to go hermie because the pollenating plant isn't spurred by a genetic response but a hormonal one.

BUT all cannabis have this genetic ability, the trait will be more prominent the more a strain has used it to reproduce in its lineage.

The only thing I don't understand is why some of the seeds that are produced by a genetic female can still produce a physically male plant... I assume said plant will not produce flowers, but pollen that is still genetically female. That way the plant ensures whether it's surrounded by males or females that it's genes get reproduced, whether as a male or female. Of course with no new genetic makeup, future generations will suffer genetic mutantions making then much less likely to reproduce or even thrive. Think interbreeding among mammals.

I have read that organic growers use a process called rodelization. Basically you keep the plant alive way past harvest time and as it senses it's dying without having reproduced, it can pollenate itself. I have heard these seeds are more likely to be female, but still more than a few turn our male than with the silver process. I am guessing this is a natural response... Most cannabis plants turn out male, meaning more males are around to reproduce with. The plant knows to hedge its bets, so it programs most if the seeds to come out female for higher chances, but still produces some males just to have its bases covered. Whatever it takes to pass on its genes.

Anyway hopefully someone more knowledgeable can point out all the spots where I was wrong, still learning about all this too and breeding and genetic information is a little harder to come than general growing information.

Sup 420

I might of asked this question before, but I feel this is best suited for a breeder to answer.
I had a female WW and I really don't know when she hermied, but my first sign was when I saw a seed in my tent. I paid it no mind until I went to check on them and found seeds in the buds. It was late into flowering so I let them go. Any way long story short, I wanted to know if the seeds female, hermies, or a mixture of both? If anyone else has experienced this or knows the fasts, I would very much appreciate your help.
Thanks and keep the grow alive
aight this is what i've learned and it may be dipping my toes in Bro Science but Either Way I Believe this 100%. there are two types of hermies. Genetic & Stress. Genetic Hermies have balls and Stress Hermies create Naners both create female pollen (basicly the male genetics are missing hence feminized seeds) this naturally happens whereas some poeple will spray a female with colloidial silver to artifically create female pollen. same same . Both will create feminized seeds although the genetic type i find does 75% female seeds & 25% hermie. i used a genetic hermie's seeds to start my own crosses and like any other type of breeding i will have to backbreed to stablize the genetics.

aight this is what i've learned and it may be dipping my toes in Bro Science but Either Way I Believe this 100%. there are two types of hermies. Genetic & Stress. Genetic Hermies have balls and Stress Hermies create Naners both create female pollen (basicly the male genetics are missing hence feminized seeds) this naturally happens whereas some poeple will spray a female with colloidial silver to artifically create female pollen. same same . Both will create feminized seeds although the genetic type i find does 75% female seeds & 25% hermie. i used a genetic hermie's seeds to start my own crosses and like any other type of breeding i will have to backbreed to stablize the genetics.
Thanks for the reply @nvs but the OP is long gone.
That post is 2016.
Stay safe.
Bill

I stress-hermied my very first plant (Durban Poison), and I got a lot of seed from it and they were all female. I never produced a male plant, although I did get a couple of more hermies, again, probably my bad though.

he might not thats very true lol however if anyone checks this thread for answers my comments are still relevant
I know that's why I said thanks.
Just wasn't sure if you noticed op was gone.
Edit BTW. Welcome to 420magazine my friend. @nvs
I stress-hermied my very first plant (Durban Poison), and I got a lot of seed from it and they were all female. I never produced a male plant, although I did get a couple of more hermies, again, probably my bad though.
Hello @Pantagruel hope your having a good day.
In my experience if you grow seeds from a hermie you will get a hermie. :Namaste:
Stay safe.
Bill

n my experience if you grow seeds from a hermie you will get a hermie. :Namaste:
I have the last seed growing right now, I'll let you know!

Back
Top Bottom