Autos v. Photos - A 5x5 No Rules Fight for Yield: A Jon & NickHardy Gig

I’m still emotionally recovering from spending $300 on a set of Cyco nutes that last all of exactly two plants.
So I’ve been thinking about you saying that you thought the solo in 25 or 6 to 4 was Kath’s best. But I’m leaning more towards the So Cal Purples. It’s just that tone that gets me, it’s so biting like a Pit Bull tearing through flesh. lol 😂 CL🍀

So I’ve been thinking about you saying that you thought the solo in 25 or 6 to 4 was Kath’s best. But I’m leaning more towards the So Cal Purples. It’s just that tone that gets me, it’s so biting like a Pit Bull tearing through flesh. lol 😂 CL🍀
Best I personally have seen. Not necessarily his best. It’s kind of hard to rank those. Lol

South California Purples, from the first album Chicago Transit Authority. . The song 🎶 is one of my absolute favorites from the band. I personally hate a wah pedal but he uses it so perfectly you can hardly hear it. CL🍀
Ah! You just educated me to some early Chicago with which I am unfamiliar. Cool!!!! I’ll check it out and report back. Awesome. Thanks.

Ah! You just educated me to some early Chicago with which I am unfamiliar. Cool!!!! I’ll check it out and report back. Awesome. Thanks.
I barely listened to that album. I am way unfamiliar. Now I have a project. Heh.

Trizkit

I just spent a decent amount of time trying to research the Trizkit. Trying to find out flower times and all that. Lineage. Etc. And since she turned out to be a photo, I was searching Trizkit Photoperiod.

Well, if one of you can find it you’re better than me. Apparently there IS no Trizkit photo.

:thedoubletake:

So what the hell am I growing here?

There are a ton of articles, info sheets, grow journals, and reviews on the Trizkit auto. We know it’s a 20Twenty Mendocino product and genetic. And we know it’s Biscotti x Triangle Kush. Which brings in a Watermelon Zkittlez element which I know from the Watermelon Wedding Cake doesn’t hurt. And we know it gets very tall and is their best yielding auto strain by a mile. It’s the one 20Twenty brags about the most in their catalog, and it’s purported size and yield is why I chose it for the contest. And it has grown exactly as advertised. Big. Tall. Fast fast growth. She grew so fast at one point I thought it was the auto stretch I was seeing.

But we have already factually proven and all seen this is indeed a photo.

So what the hell is it? A Trizkit photo? That’s what I’ve been operating on til tonight. If there isn’t one, is it another photo? Not a Trizkit at all? If so, that’s a pretty big miss on marrying cellophane seed pack and label to seed. Pack said Trizkit Autoflower. And even if there is not a Trizkit photo they make, is there ever a time when for whatever reason an auto seed might forget it’s an auto as soon as it starts growing and “turn” photo despite the Ruderalis?

I am thinking either there IS a Trizkit photo and I just couldn’t find it or missed it in researching,

Or

It’s an entirely different photo that was massively mislabeled.

Those seem to be the two most likely options.

If anyone is bored and feels like playing Sherlock Holmes, sure, have at it. But if nothing else it’s a cool and fun mystery.

Mm
Trizkit

I just spent a decent amount of time trying to research the Trizkit. Trying to find out flower times and all that. Lineage. Etc. And since she turned out to be a photo, I was searching Trizkit Photoperiod.

Well, if one of you can find it you’re better than me. Apparently there IS no Trizkit photo.

There are a ton of articles, info sheets, grow journals, and reviews on the Trizkit auto. We know it’s a 20Twenty Mendocino product and genetic. And we know it’s Biscotti x Triangle Kush. Which brings in a Watermelon Zkittlez element which I know from the Watermelon Wedding Cake doesn’t hurt. And we know it gets very tall and is their best yielding auto strain by a mile. It’s the one 20Twenty brags about the most in their catalog, and it’s purported size and yield is why I chose it for the contest. And it has grown exactly as advertised. Big. Tall. Fast fast growth. She grew so fast at one point I thought it was the auto stretch I was seeing.

So what the hell is it? A Trizkit photo? That’s what I’ve been operating on til tonight. If there isn’t one, is it another photo? Not a Trizkit at all? If so, that’s a pretty big miss on marrying cellophane seed pack and label to seed. Pack said Trizkit Autoflower. And even if there is not a Trizkit photo they make, is there ever a time when for whatever reason an auto seed might forget it’s an auto as soon as it starts growing and “turn” photo despite the Ruderalis?

I am thinking either there IS a Trizkit photo and I just couldn’t find it or missed it in researching,

Or

If anyone is bored and feels like playing Sherlock Holmes, sure, have at it. But if nothing else it’s a cool and fun mystery.
WOW, I wish I could be able to hear South California Purples for the first time again. I was pretty young and it was when I got a little older some older friends turned me on to the album.💿 It was impossible to be from here and not be a fan. CL🍀

Strawberry Banana Auto

Appears this one is a medium stretch plant. She isn’t doubling but not far from that. The ones I’ve grown in the past have been much smaller and tighter. A more hybrid and less indica pheno perhaps? She’s close to done stretching and about to begin making buds. Very easy and manageable. Not terribly leafy. And if you can’t tell in the photo, the dominant branches aren’t terribly dominant and are also easy to keep in line. This is the closest plant I’ve grown to the Skywalker in terms of easy, minimal if any defol (I haven’t touched a leaf on her), and killer structure. Also like the Skywalker, she doesn’t appear she will break any yield records but be solid in terms of production. Awesome plant to grow. Her towers look great and are nicely offset. The tower stems are long enough now and still flexible enough that we *could* pull them horizontal and try for a flat canopy. But I really like her look this way, and the ring is well clear of the towers. She’ll be great. It’s also too close to the end of the stretch now to do that for me at least.

Here’s the plant and her towers as of today.

IMG_6076.jpeg

IMG_6077.jpeg

Trizkit

Or

You're going to have to call in a breeder to definitely answer that question. Maybe @Lerugged ?

But my understanding is that ruderalis genes are dominant, not recessive but still genes and that, just like mixing any other two strains together you'll get varying percentages of expressed genes in a seedling.

Maybe ask the breeder for their take?

But my understanding is that ruderalis genes are dominant, not recessive
I'm pretty sure it's the other way around.
If you cross an auto with a photo you get a photo, unless it has an auto in it's background somewhere. Then you can get varying percentages of autos.

If you cross an auto with a photo you get a photo, unless it has an auto in it's background somewhere. Then you can get varying percentages of autos.
If it's recessive, then how do they create stable, consistently auto, strains?

Yes Auto genes are recessive. You see examples of an Auto being crossed with an auto that still comes out as a photo period plant. It has been a problem since the first generations.

The plant very much strive for survival and you're better off with a larger plant mass and more pollen and seeds for survival. Not striving to become a small donkey that has a hard time covering the same amount of surface for pollination.

Ruderalis exists naturally in very harsh conditions while we try to imitate and grow under tropical conditions in a controlled environment.

I still don't consider auto genetics fully stable. It's a donkey that's been bred to be a race horse.

It's tedious to create auto seeds and most if not all of them are feminized for a reason. First you need stable identical clones and then you need to reverse one side while pollinating the other.

It took generations of back crossing to get to this point and it's still not easy to get Auto genes stable because of the inherent recessive trait. It was way more messy back in the day with the first generations of seeds.

The f1 generation is all photoperiod. You select the f1 plants that have the best traits and breed them to get an f2 generation that has 75% photoperiod and 25% auto plants.
Then you either breed exclusively from those autos, assuming they have the traits you want, or you backcross them to the f1 plants, which gives you 50% autos and 50% photos.
If you have one copy of a dominant gene you display that trait. It takes two copies of a recessive gene for it to show up as a phenotype.

I echo @Azimuth on that one @Wastei and @Melville Hobbes - and I’m wondering if it gets me closer to identifying what I’m growing. It sounds like it could indeed have been an “auto” seed that was correctly bagged and labeled and this one just chose to be its photo side. In that case it is a Trizkit.

Regardless, thanks you guys!

I echo @Azimuth on that one @Wastei and @Melville Hobbes - and I’m wondering if it gets me closer to identifying what I’m growing. It sounds like it could indeed have been an “auto” seed that was correctly bagged and labeled and this one just chose to be its photo side. In that case it is a Trizkit.

Regardless, thanks you guys!
Also that makes me very very lucky in this case yes? I do grow autos and never had this happen ever. Gotta be rare if that’s it, yes?

Ask @HashGirl, she keeps excellent spreadsheets and is particularly interested in terpene profiles. Otherwise, doesn't Leafly have a search by terpene feature. They do. I checked.

Thank you Carmen!!!

Sorry for the late reply. Computer/Electronics time is greatly reduced these days with my vision problem.

Personally, I avoid strains that are indicas and/or have a lot of limonene. That said, Girl Scout Cookies is high in limonene and it's a 40/60 indica-dominant strain and it's one of my favourites. In fact, I'm eating an oatmeal cookie made with Girl Scout Cookies.

Back
Top Bottom