Autos v. Photos - A 5x5 No Rules Fight for Yield: A Jon & NickHardy Gig

OK lets do this semi seriously.

Its right on the edge of being ready for the Grove bag I realise.

I nearly left the bag open to acclimatise down to our room temp and humidity but reckon it will be ok.

I’ll probably give it a gentle shake tomorrow.

Smells really good, stronger than even a few hours ago.

Petrol, (gasoline) and grass and pine. There’s hints of sugary sweet a which was really strong in the last weeks of flower.

I’m going to vape it a little higher than I would at 208c compared to say 198c or 194c for full cured. It ground really easy. Its very decently sticky. But like maybe a 7/10 for us.

Bit airy but we do expect it to tighten as it cures.

Some pictures and lets see if I make any sense in 30 minutes. I just blind pick buds for photos or testing. Really whatever is top of the bag. No hunting. One looks way better than the other for me.

Cap could do with a wash too!

Nick

IMG_0442.jpeg
IMG_0445.jpeg
I agree, the top one looks a bit more “done.”

Oh OK!

I am for ever more droughting and then leaving in the dark for a couple of days.

That's it. Sold to the man with the blobby tattoo on his back!

Bubba Kush: Initial tasting notes

There is barely a hint of chlorophyll well at least what I associate with it in flavour profile "green wet veg"

Coffee and teak, a heavy wood. Not pine, which it smells more off. Like a creamy coffee, like a local light rum infused coffee, and then like a tropical wood taste. Teak or yellow wood. Some green taste, hints but may become mint? not that strong.

Ok - that was written taste plus 8 minutes.

In a while crocodile!

NB 1lb Grove bags weight 47g - its great because a full one weighs 500g or half a kilo - something they will have designed in.

Its a) I think a really good strain, Danny @York Genetics is a fan - ours is @Barney's Farm so not half as larney as his cuts but really good.

Yeah its an Indica Dom hybrid and my first reaction was like a super speedy buzz, sativa like, I think that might be, from experience its just not cured and settled yet. By no means "racy" or anxious feelings. Quite the obvious. I've been nattering away elsewhere (not boring you lot) but real fun warm honest feelings.

I am 100% growing it again. Its for sure a keeper.

b} And the taste? Can still taste. Little lower and slower grown, it has no right to taste this good after just three hours cure! It has to be that drought and hold thing playing a big part. Those were the smallest saleable buds too. Naturally the smallest get trimmed last and go in the bag last.

Yep that's some stinking good weed and an epic keeper strain.

(background just a little vape off some Mimosa OP before dinner, none for 24 hours before, otherwise clear of head, heart - my conscience? Between me and Buddha pal! 😆 )

My scientific contribution for the day:

I get that lemony taste from my Chocolate Thai.
Oh OK!

I am for ever more droughting and then leaving in the dark for a couple of days.

That's it. Sold to the man with the blobby tattoo on his back!

Bubba Kush: Initial tasting notes

There is barely a hint of chlorophyll well at least what I associate with it in flavour profile "green wet veg"

Coffee and teak, a heavy wood. Not pine, which it smells more off. Like a creamy coffee, like a local light rum infused coffee, and then like a tropical wood taste. Teak or yellow wood. Some green taste, hints but may become mint? not that strong.

Ok - that was written taste plus 8 minutes.

In a while crocodile!

NB 1lb Grove bags weight 47g - its great because a full one weighs 500g or half a kilo - something they will have designed in.
So Nick explain please the benefits of the bags over jars 🫙. If you’re successful at it I just might switch over to them. CL🍀

I've found some youtube links, interviews with Grove Bags themselves with commercial growers but I can't link because A) they come up as age restricted which the site doesn't like and the scenes and

B) which episode I keep watching on my TV not my phone so can't link (yet) and I keep forgetting.

So background:

US Company - the Dad worked in commercial food packing for 40 years, Mr. Grove Senior. Mr Grove Junior been growing a bit and says burping jars is a ballache. Start company using food preservation tech to cure cannabis. Make millions.

Here's a link to a real world use case I gave to @Ice cream a few days back. They have some stuff going on and @bluter been offering a bunch of advice in spirit of the board. Good man buddy!

From a technical point of view beyond what I wrote above, the Grove Bags are passively burping the gases that are released as the plant matter decomposes, this Co2 and other crap - when we dry in our rooms with Co2 meters in as soon as those lights go out for good and the plants remain in there the Co2 spikes - to like 1200ppm same as we want in full flower. All these other gas are getting released which is why you burp your jars and keep them normally using blister packs the Rh in a tight range.

The Grove Bags eliminate all the burping and all the humidity patch requirements. Sure you need to keep them in a cool dark place but presumably you put your jars in the same place, though right!

They're reusable and resealable.

There are zero minutes of labour involved other than filling them.

I've looked new things, you drill a 1/2" hole in a big plastic tote, you then screw this device in, connect it to an app and it burps for you and send you reports. They were about $400USD when I looked. We'd need about 10-20 so uh yeah! No way! But a Grove bag costs you I dunno ask Ice Cream! They just bought two quarter pound ones in the US. $10?

No labour, no burping and they don't smash when you drop them.

Passionate about them.

Also Bubba Kush for the win.

Passionate about them.

thanks for the review. if you are growing larger amounts they are definitely one of the best things to invest in.
there are folk here who'd never go back.

No labour, no burping and they don't smash when you drop them.

except ... i eat a lot of pasta and get the damn jars for free with the tomato sauce ... :laughtwo:
never smashed one yet. pretty sure they are treated better than the holy grail in this household .. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Also Bubba Kush for the win.

nice.

IMG_0446.jpeg
So those Re half pound windowed, pound no window and a 1oz bag. We also have a couple of 2lb no window ones which @Bill284 got from @Rexer

For us the big yields a 1lb bag we put 500g in. Its with tolerance I reckon so we can weight one of them to 547g - because the bags weigh 47g (Therefore the observant amongst you may have realised we have 373g of Bubba Kush, possibly, rather than 420g)

the half pund with windows - these are nice for single plants strains, or two say. The window is nice, & Co will take a half dozen say to a dispensary that will typically buy 40-100g. The window is OK but when they're being transported they go inside another like soft chiller bag to protect from light.

These are my dip into bags, about 8ft from where I sit now.

Teh 1oz bag?!

I met with an old friend flew in at the weekend. I took that and carried it like a muse, a man a bag to the beachside restaurant we walked into. Camped it up! Walked in with a click of heels (flip flops) The flip side has a map of the US so you can mark which state it was grown in.

They have the same tech, pretty colours and one off designs, Every Auto strain I have ever grown now rests in a 1oz Grove Bag! Some of them are very very empty! But that's more about my skills with autos than the quality of their cure bag!

We think on a slightly different scale on some aspects of growing, but Grove Bags, doesn't matter you have a 2x2 or 20kx20k Grove bags, the tote sized, 50 Gallon barrel shaped or the strip material they sell on a roll should be part of your decision making.

Sure you got a bunch of glass jars and don't mind the routine of burping, carry on!

But a Grove Bag is worth a go - $5 or whatever to try.

thanks for the review. if you are growing larger amounts they are definitely one of the best things to invest in.
there are folk here who'd never go back.

except ... i eat a lot of pasta and get the damn jars for free with the tomato sauce ... :laughtwo:
never smashed one yet. pretty sure they are treated better than the holy grail in this household .. :cheesygrinsmiley:

nice.
Also 😆 😂 😆 😂 😆

for the pasta sauce....

IMG_0446.jpeg
So those Re half pound windowed, pound no window and a 1oz bag. We also have a couple of 2lb no window ones which @Bill284 got from @Rexer

For us the big yields a 1lb bag we put 500g in. Its with tolerance I reckon so we can weight one of them to 547g - because the bags weigh 47g (Therefore the observant amongst you may have realised we have 373g of Bubba Kush, possibly, rather than 420g)

the half pund with windows - these are nice for single plants strains, or two say. The window is nice, & Co will take a half dozen say to a dispensary that will typically buy 40-100g. The window is OK but when they're being transported they go inside another like soft chiller bag to protect from light.

Teh 1oz bag?!

I met with an old friend flew in at the weekend. I took that and carried it like a muse, a man a bag to the beachside restaurant we walked into. Camped it up! Walked in with a click of heels (flip flops) The flip side has a map of the US so you can mark which state it was grown in.

They have the same tech, pretty colours and one off designs, Every Auto strain I have ever grown now rests in a 1oz Grove Bag! Some of them are very very empty! But that's more about my skills with autos than the quality of their cure bag!

We think on a slightly different scale on some aspects of growing, but Grove Bags, doesn't matter you have a 2x2 or 20kx20k Grove bags, the tote sized, 50 Gallon barrel shaped or the strip material they sell on a roll should be part of your decision making.

Sure you got a bunch of glass jars and don't mind the routine of burping, carry on!

I think I’m sold but want to be sure I got it right. I just chop, trim after hanging and then put it in the bag? CL🍀

IMG_0446.jpeg

Teh 1oz bag?!

Windowless 5 pound bag ;)

Thanks Buddy :thanks:

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

So after hanging n trim straight into bags or are you drying first? CL🍀
Always dry first - you need them down to between 58-61% before the bag.

Think of them as cure and stabilise.

Can't skip drying.

I man maybe you grow in the Gobi Desert... but no you must dry first.

Also 😆 😂 😆 😂 😆

for the pasta sauce....

serious smoke lol. :passitleft:

when we shut the med grow and i had to scale down, i bought a couple racks of new 32oz size mason jars to store weed, and have not used one.

every single jar i have cured / stored weed in since has been a mason type jar, repurposed from something else originally, like tomato sauce or liquor lol :laughtwo:

Always dry first - you need them down to between 58-61% before the bag.

Think of them as cure and stabilise.

Can't skip drying.

I man maybe you grow in the Gobi Desert... but no you must dry first.
Got it n no not growing in the Gobi, Sahara, or the Sonoran, Mojave n Chihuahua region of the U.S. Southside Chicago only. CL🍀

serious smoke lol. :passitleft:

when we shut the med grow and i had to scale down, i bought a couple racks of new 32oz size mason jars to store weed, and have not used one.

every single jar i have cured / stored weed in since has been a mason type jar, repurposed from something else originally, like tomato sauce or liquor lol :laughtwo:
Can't beatem buddy :thumb::thanks:

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

can you tell us how the groves hold long term for stable rh guys ?
i have 2 -3 yr old cured weed i use in med apps. it's important that it stays in good shape.

oh and smoking. i smoke a lot of nice long term cured weed .... :hookah:

edit : i think these bags are gonna be better than the 5 gallon pails with the burping lids we used for the large grows a few yrs back

Back
Top Bottom