After doing more research about the deficiencies with my plants, I decided to add some nutes into the water they needed today. Primarily nitrogen, but I did add a half dose of CalMag as well. The Purple Punch was really looking sad the past couple days. Hopefully that will do the trick and they will be happy when I get home from work.

All the plants got a drench with only filtered water yesterday. About 4 of them are ready to get uppotted. They are drinking their fill within 1-2 days. They were really droopy by the end of the day yesterday. This morning they look fantastic already. I decided to defoliate the yellow and used up leaves. I still don't understand the nutrient deficiency. I may end up getting a soil pH meter. I was thinking they had plenty of food but if the pH was that far off and weren't able to uptake it, then that would explain it.

The newest clones (GMO Cookies and Vanilla Frosting) are NOT doing good. They took the transplant pretty rough. Hopefully they make it because I was really looking forward to making both of those into mother plants. We shall see...

Finally did some transplanting yesterday. Purple Punch, GG4, and Romulan went into a 3 gallon. Do-Sa-Do #1 went into her final pot which is a 7 gal fabric pot. I know...I know! It's a bigger leap in the uppotting process than is recommended but it is a personal experiment. Do-Sa-Do #2 will be getting very little training compared to #1 but will eventually go into a 15 gallon and I want to compare their growth and final yield.

I waited until early evening to get them transplanted. Sorry but lots of pics for reference and also some questions I have about some of the deficiencies that have occurred. There is similar results in several of the plants which tells me it is not a single plant issue. I think it was a little too much nutrients and too heavy of a foliar spray. I think it would be better to go light on the foliar sprays more often instead of hitting them with heavy loads of nutes. I think I have burns on the leaves where the last foliar feeding was simply too much. Any thoughts?

Do-Sa-Do #1 in her final pot and spot. She will be sharing the space with this "Sweet Broom" and for another few days, this Pomegranate bush. I might move her a little this way or that to accommodate a spot for another plant or two, but for the most part she won't be moving from here until harvest. She will have to battle the elements 24/7 until the fall.

20200517_071703-01.jpeg

20200517_073502-01.jpeg
20200517_071722-01.jpeg

The topping I did is a little funky but I've got multiple tops so I guess it worked?! LOL

20200517_071833-01.jpeg

Romulan - Sample deficiency pics from the Romulan but similar results on all the plants. Opinions are always appreciated.

20200517_071859-01.jpeg
20200517_071908-01.jpeg
20200517_071937-01.jpeg
20200517_072008-01.jpeg

Purple Punch was looking sad the past few days. Perked up nicely already by this morning. Hopefully she gets happier in this pot for a little bit and starts growing fast again. She definitely slowed down the past week or two.

20200517_072423-01.jpeg
20200517_072435-01.jpeg

Looks like a bit of a potassium deficiency to me... moving from the bottom up. Romulan looks a little light green too... needs a bit more N too, IMHO. Other than that, loving the digs... wish I was there! This is going to be a great garden!
Awesome! Thank you for giving me a good direction to go in. They did get a fresh top dressing of amendments during the transplant. I also drenched them last night. Should I make an attempt to feed them today though? Or should I try and do foliar over the next week while the pots dries out before the next drench feeding?

I would try to correct this asap, knowing that the leaves will just get worse and worse until you do.
Is there a particular product or method you recommend for getting the potassium levels in check?

Which nutes are you running?

Thus far, they have had some nutes via the compost teas and a top dressing a few weeks back (a mix I made with a variety of "Down to Earth" products). I didn't give them much though if memory serves me right. They have also had some nutes via drench and foliar that was a combination of liquid fish & kelp (2-2-2) and also liquid fish (5-1-1).

I added some extra nutes to all the plants this evening via drench and foliar. I gave them a boost of nitrogen as well as a little extra potassium.

Here's the crazy thing, I decided to test the pH of the nutrient solution and it was 4.75! Could this have been an issue the past couple feedings?! I have read countless times that growers do not need to worry about pH with soil but that seems a bit extreme. I added some soluble lime to bring it back up. I stopped at 6.59

20200518_190751.jpg

20200518_191833.jpg

I also top dressed with some DTE Langbeinite which is 0-0-22. When I uppotted them, I gave them granular amendments so the soil should be able to start breaking that down soon and it can get used up. I may be adding a little bit more of this into my fertilizer recipe. I would prefer to not run into this problem continually.

While I was at it, I decided to uppot the other 2 ladies into their final 5 gallon fabric pots. It is the 2 on the left. I added some of my fertilizer mix and also top dressed with the Langbeinite. They got some regular water at first to water them in and then a light nutrient drench. I really like this new Smart Pot color. When the sides begin to get saturated, it changes color. Almost like an indicator of sorts. In the pic below, I had only given them water a couple times. It was much darker and more consistently dark after my last watering. This is my first time using them, so we shall see how it goes with their watering cycles and how their appearance changes during the wet/dry cycle.

They all got foliar spray with a diluted solution from what they got in drench. I added extra aloe vera and yucca extract to it as well.

20200518_201411.jpg

The plants have been looking better this past week. The new growth is looking normal. Some of the previous deficiency problems are still visible on a few of the leaves but overall I think they are much happier. They all got watered yesterday. It's been unusually warm here and they are loving it! I have to water (lightly) the few pots where I have planted cover crop seeds. I mainly focus on only giving the top inch or so moist enough to allow those seeds to grow out.

I was curious if someone could help me with understanding the pistil growth I am seeing on some of the plants. Does this mean they are in pre-flower? They are under 15+ hrs of light so they shouldn't be in flower right?!

20200528_065533.jpg

I also have a couple of plants that have these fatter (almost tear drop shaped) calyxs. Is this normal for some varieties or should I be worried about possible hermies? If you zoom in on the second pic, you can see some amber colored pistils coming out of the calyx.

20200528_070309.jpg

20200528_070322.jpg

preflower means nothing really... it is just a name. All your plant is showing you is that she is now mature enough to go into flower, by showing you those preflowers. This in no way means she is flowering... she is still vegging right along. When the light is right, she will stop throwing out new green leaf at the growth tips and will shoot out pistils, but until then, you are still in veg.

preflower means nothing really... it is just a name. All your plant is showing you is that she is now mature enough to go into flower, by showing you those preflowers. This in no way means she is flowering... she is still vegging right along. When the light is right, she will stop throwing out new green leaf at the growth tips and will shoot out pistils, but until then, you are still in veg.
Thanks @Emilya . Curious if you have any thoughts on the fatter/rounder calyxs? Nothing to worry about? Or do I need to keep a close eye on them? They are clones but I thought I read somewhere that stress can sometimes cause them to hermie. Just curious because only a couple of them have calyx like this.

Thanks @Emilya . Curious if you have any thoughts on the fatter/rounder calyxs? Nothing to worry about? Or do I need to keep a close eye on them? They are clones but I thought I read somewhere that stress can sometimes cause them to hermie. Just curious because only a couple of them have calyx like this.
It is nothing to worry about. I myself remain as barren as the day I was born, yet I retain all the parts necessary to change this situation if I so desire. The same situation exists with our Sensimilla plants, for whom I am named. Those calyxes will swell up with resin, but unless pollinated, there will be no seed within. To turn hermi would be to give up on this natural look and to instead develop male flowers... and they look nothing like a swollen calyx. What stress do you think your plants are going through by the way? Are you expecting problems?

Thanks for the reassurance.

What stress do you think your plants are going through by the way? Are you expecting problems?
I have topped and transplanted them within the past month. And then the potassium deficiency and other nutrient issues the past couple weeks. I'm hoping the nutrient issues will be a thing of the past though.

Thanks for the reassurance.

I have topped and transplanted them within the past month. And then the potassium deficiency and other nutrient issues the past couple weeks. I'm hoping the nutrient issues will be a thing of the past though.
if there's one thing i've learned since i started growing* on my first grow* is that these plants are resilient to a lot and will come back if you give them enough time to recover. early stages of my plants growth i was just doing to much with the plant with lst and clipping. once i just stuck to the lst and let the plants go they exploded. anyway i think you'll be fine as long as you get your stuff figured out =D

Back
Top Bottom