I hope someone sees this before tomorrow morning. I still want to top them. I was thinking of doing it first thing tomorrow morning. My logic is it will give them plenty of sun and energy to recover from the stress. Now...a couple of them are ready to be potted up. I am seeing roots out the bottom of the 1 gallon so I figured I would move them up. Would it be too much to transplant them AND top them? Here are some pics from this afternoon.

They were looking happy today!
Purple Punch
20200423_162042.jpg

Romulan
20200423_162101.jpg

Gorilla Glue #4
20200423_162053.jpg

Do-Sa-Do #1
20200423_162025.jpg

Do-Sa-Do #2
20200423_162033.jpg

Strawberry Banana
20200423_162016.jpg

Well...I decided to add a couple more Dark Heart Nursery clones into the mix today. Picked up a Venom OG and Strawberry Cheesecake. Dunked the wool into a light nutrient bath of Humix, Aloe vera, and silica. Dusted with Azos and Mykos and then planted into 1 gallons and watered in.

Venom OG - based on the way it's growing already, I am thinking of doing LST all the way through. Looks like it is going into 2 main branches already.
20200424_162652.jpg

20200424_162713.jpg

20200424_162718.jpg

Strawberry Cheesecake
20200424_162625.jpg

20200424_162639.jpg

20200424_162628.jpg

I also went ahead and topped the other girls this afternoon. Figured they can recover with the afternoon sun and through the night.

They also got a watered (silica, humix, aloe vera, liquid fish and kelp) . After today's bit of heat they got thirsty and droopy. This looked like a good indicator to water, plus they exhibited that extra smell that Emilya talks about in her watering post.

Purple Punch Pre-Topping
20200424_161601.jpg

20200424_161643.jpg

Purple Punch Post Topping
20200424_161707.jpg
20200424_161723.jpg

Romulan Pre-Topping
20200424_161814.jpg

20200424_161843.jpg

Romulan Post Topping
20200424_161946.jpg

Gorilla Glue #4 Pre-Topping
20200424_162001.jpg

20200424_162032.jpg

Gorilla Glue #4 Post Topping
20200424_162148.jpg

I almost forgot...I also topped one of the Do-Sa-Do ladies. I'm going to LST the other one and compare the differences. I'll keep the pot size, feeding, and everything else as close to the same as possible. I will start the LST later this evening.

Do-Sa-Do #1 Pre-Topping
20200424_162325.jpg
20200424_162340.jpg

Do-Sa-Do #1 Post Topping
20200424_162414.jpg

Have you flipped em over and looked at the rootball?
I have not taken them out to look at the root ball. I can see some roots coming out the bottom of the pot. But I have not at the root balls.

As for the transplanting, I will wait a while. Thanks for the tip.

lol! Don’t we all. Everything’s look good though @BakedARea. Those stalks are THICK.
Thanks man! I think since I have implemented the couple of compost teas, they completely changed. I have also been using the silica in their watering too. I'll be doing some supercropping soon so hopefully they don't get too stiff with all that silica. Lol

Also, all the girls are looking nice and perky this morning. No negative appearance from the topping.

I wouldn’t want to stress twice in a 2 week period.
Hey...I am thinking about doing some supercropping on some of these topped clones and LST on the others. I won't do anything to the topped ones though for a little bit. You are suggesting that I don't do anything to them for at least 2 weeks or longer from yesterday correct? As for the LST, I can go ahead and start in these pots now thought right?

Or should I wait until I get a look at the rootballs? In order to do that, I'll have to wait a few more days until they dry out before trying that. Do you normally wait to do any type of training until you have had a look at the rootball?

Here they are this morning after yesterday's topping and getting some yummy nute water.

My current thought process:
Supercrop the Purple Punch - not sure when exactly to do it though. I don't mind her getting to 3-5 feet tall. If I do it too early, it will dramatically shorten her total height right? I I do it when she's say 2 feet then when she stretches in flower, she would potentially double in height?
20200425_085403.jpg

I am thinking about LST for the GG4. Start pulling branches back and open it up and encourage it to bush out more. Can I start LST sooner after getting topped versus something like supercropping?
20200425_085424.jpg

I am not sure what to do with the Romulan. My gut tells me supercrop it but another side of my brain wants to just let it grow and top it a couple more times and defoliate as needed.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
20200425_085501.jpg

I will be supercropping this one as well. I will be waiting at least until it is 2 or 3 feet tall. The other twin will be getting LST only. I'm going to try and finish them around the same height so it can be a better growth and yield comparison.
20200425_085542.jpg

You are suggesting that I don't do anything to them for at least 2 weeks

IMHO, I wouldnt stress twice in a 2 week period. So if you topped, wait 2 weeks to transplant and vice versa. Some people may have other ideas on it. Just my opinion.

as far as LST go ahead and start that whenever, just untie, pot up, and re-tie when the time is right.

I only suggested looking at the rootball to make sure you have the room for 2 more weeks of growth within the roots without getting too rootbound.

I only suggested looking at the rootball to make sure you have the room for 2 more weeks of growth within the roots without getting too rootbound.

Thanks for the advice. It is not something I have tried before. I never really thought about it that way but it makes sense. I always leave the roots undisturbed until I transplant them. I have always left it to chance and try and take my best guess when they are ready to move up. How stressful is it for them to pull them out of the pot and if they aren't ready, then just put them back and make an estimated guess of how much longer they have left? I'm sure that can be different amount of time on MANY factors.

If you only have enough room in the current pot for a week or two of growth, then would you wait until after couple weeks of the transplant?

If you only have enough room in the current pot for a week or two of growth, then would you wait until after couple weeks of the transplant?

Well the way I see it, being rootbound is stressful. So if you take a look the root ball and it has room to fill still, great. Wait the 2 weeks to transplant, if you look and it doesn’t seem to have the room then I’d transplant anyway regardless of the 2 week “stressed” period. If I had to choose between being topped and transplanted vs being topped, rootbound then transplant. I’d lean towards topped and transplanted.
If that makes sense.
That’s just my opinion though

Well the way I see it, being rootbound is stressful. So if you take a look the root ball and it has room to fill still, great. Wait the 2 weeks to transplant, if you look and it doesn’t seem to have the room then I’d transplant anyway regardless of the 2 week “stressed” period. If I had to choose between being topped and transplanted vs being topped, rootbound then transplant. I’d lean towards topped and transplanted.
If that makes sense.
That’s just my opinion though
I appreciate you sharing your opinion. It makes a lot of common sense and something I never properly thought about. A practical example of the old saying, "DUUUUUH!"
:laughtwo:

I'll definitely check their rootball in a few days after they dry a bit. Again, much appreciated! :passitleft:

A couple quick update pics of the ladies this morning. I decided to support the Venom OG. A little too flimsy of a stock for my liking. Down the road, I will be doing LST on her. The Strawberry Cheesecake looks like she would prefer to be nice and tall. I'll let her go for a couple weeks and then likely top her anyway. The rest of the girls were looking perky and happy this morning!
20200426_093403.jpg
20200426_093507.jpg

They make so proud! Proud poppa! Well step-dad I suppose. They are adopted clones after all. I'll love them like they are my own either way.
20200426_072739.jpg

Have you flipped em over and looked at the rootball?
Ok...they drank most of the water from Friday. They were droopy this morning so I decided to give them water. Before I did that though, I took the Purple Punch out of the pot for a quick pic. I know they are all different varieties. I probably should have checked each one of them. Didn't think of that until after I watered them. SMH.

I would like your advice by looking at this rootball. How much longer in these pots would you keep it in here?

20200427_061252.jpg

IMO I say you have time, if you hadn’t topped it I’d say transplant but I’d wait a week or so then transplant if I was in your shoes. Just my opinion though.
Thank you! Yes, this one is topped. I will wait the 2 weeks as you suggested about them being topped.

So another thing I was not expecting. I drenched the soil this morning. Was a little quick about it because I was leaving for work. This afternoon, it seemed like I didn't water them at all! They were still slightly droopy as well. Not quite as bad as this morning but I was surprised to see they used that much water on an otherwise mild weather day. Could it be that my drench was not a very good watering? I definitely did not follow the Emilya method of working my way around the pot slowly. Being that they are in small 1 gallon pots, I figured any water would fill up that soil quickly. I'm a bit confused. I could have sworn I saw a little run off and then I stopped. Any ideas anyone?

A little shot from above this evening. They are such an amazing and gorgeous plant! This is where they spend their evenings.

20200427_190125.jpg

when you are trying to saturate the soil, especially in a cloth pot, time and going slow are your best friends. Once you think you have achieved some runoff, step away and do something else for a while. Come back in 20 minutes or so and try again, very slowly to see if you can still add water to that soil without it coming out the bottom. It can surprise you sometimes how much more water that soil will take after it has started to expand a bit with the initial watering. After you achieve runoff this second time, you can be pretty much assured you have properly watered your plant.

Could it be that my drench was not a very watering?
And yes, when you drench, any channels that have opened up in the soil and the sides where the soil has pulled back, will quickly shunt that water down to the bottom without giving the soil a chance to start swelling up with moisture. In a cloth container it shoots out of the sides at various points too as those deep channels lead the water quickly down toward the bottom where it finds its way out before getting there.

Back
Top Bottom