Still looks like the plants need some nitrogen just a tad. Definitely keep the fan leaves on the babies. The fan leaves act as power houses for the plant at early stages absorbing a lot of light for photosynthesis and plant growth.

If it doesn't bother you too much, I would leave those leaves on until they fall off naturally. Since the plants are still relatively small, I would think that any of those big fan leaves would be good to leave on there until the plant gets much bigger. Don't worry about aesthetics, just grow some massive bushes! I think they are going to fill out those 5 and 7 gallon pots massively if you are growing outdoors this season. Good luck with your grow!

-Vape

Still looks like the plants need some nitrogen just a tad. Definitely keep the fan leaves on the babies. The fan leaves act as power houses for the plant at early stages absorbing a lot of light for photosynthesis and plant growth.

I appreciate it! Thank you both. They bother me but I can most past that easily knowing they are helping. In my mind, I was thinking that the damaged leaves would create a situation where the plant would be sending extra energy to those leaves in an attempt to repair them. They will stay. When I get them into their final containers, I plan on keeping them short at a maximum of 5-6 feet is my thought.

Purple Punch still leading the pack since their first transplant. She's fighting to be the first one into their final pot size!
20200406_153333.jpg

GG4 trailing closely behind...she wants to catch up so she can get transplanted on the same day as PP. She better hurry up and soak up all the upcoming nutrients during their next watering.
20200406_153259.jpg

This Romulan queen isn't out of this fight quite yet! She's showing some perky new growth and new found vigor to show us her classy beauty.
20200406_164838.jpg

These Do-Sa-Do twins are ready to battle after being dead last after the first transplant. They have a long way to go but they just won't give up!
20200406_164743.jpg

This little go getter does not want to be left out of the competition. Until today, she was struggling with insecurity issues. After having a heartfelt pep talk this past weekend, she woke up this morning in good spirits and a new zest for life. She's excited to inform her fans that she's looking forward to drinking up some poopy worm tea soon! She knows that's exactly what she needs to zoom past the other ladies.
------------
This was a fruitful sight this afternoon after today's crappy day. It was just one of those days where all I could think about was coming home to see my beautiful family and my garden. It was nice to come home and have a few puffs on the vape pen and do my care rounds. I enjoyed some old freebie OG that is barely potent at all. :laughtwo:

It has been a few days since their last watering which was probably too soon honestly. I think I just extended their unhappiness. Trying my best to let them dry out some more without intervening too soon. Practicing my inner Emilya and just wait until they are desperate for a drink. That is a hard thing to do. They are looking a little happier and less droopy.

The little ones are still struggling behind but today is the first day they all collectively look better which made me happy.

I will be starting my first compost tea later this evening or tomorrow with the hopes that I can use it Wednesday afternoon. I have my own yard compost (over 12 months old!) plus some wiggle worm brand worm castings. I wanted to include some other nutrients (kelp meal, bone meal, blood meal, and mykos) but I'm not sure if I actually need to add those things. Thoughts on that folks? Where is the best compost tea(s) recipes on this forum btw? I tried the search function and was surprised to not find a specific recipe. I tried reading through a few of the threads that came up but still was not successful finding a recipe. 24-48 hrs brewing time is what I have read in other sites and videos? Sound about right? A nice foamy top with a rich earthy smell from a few comments I have read here?

These ladies are in one gallon plastic pots. I still need to calculate the dry weight and then measure my watering amount. I would like to start getting more details on their water uptake and be more organized with my feeding schedule. During my next watering, I need to water to waste correct? And then weigh them? Document the quantity of water and weight of fully watered pot?

If there are any other details you feel would benefit them, please let me know. Thank you.

A few update pics...I spent most of the past week not feeling well. Been fighting a nasty infection that I haven't been able to fight off. Mustered up enough energy to start my first batch of compost tea this afternoon! I know these ladies need a drink tomorrow so I wanted to make sure I have something yummy brewed up for them.

Ended up in the hospital this evening but thankfully back home.and writing this. It was nice to get a few pics of the ladies before heading off to the hospital too.

Purple Punch! I'm thinking of topping her before I transplant her. Or should I go ahead and transplant her and then top her?
20200409_150136.jpg

I need some advice on the Romulan. What is typically the cause for this burned area like this?
20200409_150204.jpg

20200409_150207.jpg

20200409_150220.jpg

GG4 - All the new growth looks good! Better than all the old stuff anyway. Lol
20200409_150250.jpg

The little Do-Sa-Do twins are looking decent. I'm seeing some yellowing though in that new growth. Hopefully tomorrow's water & feeding will help.
20200409_150318.jpg

And then there is this little girl with scoliosis...
20200409_150339.jpg

20200409_150407.jpg

She sure is pretty from above though! :laughtwo:
20200409_150413.jpg

Hi... I would like to join in... I wish I had been earlier as I might have been able to help out a bit early on when they were drooping. It looks like now the clones have developed some good roots, but I still suspect that you are watering too often and have not established a good wet/dry cycle. This is what I think is the reason for some of the continued drooping. The spot on the leaf is curious... is it just that one spot on one plant? Could something have been spilled on it? If you are seeing more of it, I would suspect magnesium, and I think too that they are looking a little hungry.

The watering though... checking the top 2 or 3 inches is great for figuring out what the top spreader roots are doing, but most people have problems managing the water that sits in the bottom of the container. Here in veg, if you are watering while you can still feel water weight in the container, you are not doing your lower roots any favors.

This time between waterings, which should be getting shorter and shorter with each wet/dry cycle is also your only valid indicator as to when it is time to transplant to your final containers. If you don't have a handle on how fast the plants are using water, it can't be determined when the roots have filled up the space.

@Emilya I think you're right about them being hungry. I didn't give them much nutrients when I transplanted them. I wanted to see if they would utilize what I had in the soil. Their first deep watering was at transplant Mar 25th and then topped off a little to moisten the top couple inches on Mar 30th. I have been reluctant to give them any more water. I wanted to water them a few days ago and then decided to wait. They still felt a little heavy so I opted to just be patient and fight my urge to love them to death. So since Mar 30th they have got nothing else. I was trying to wait until the last second like you have mentioned in other threads. I was hoping to water then today with my my first batch of compost tea though. I was going to do a complete drench until runoff.

You might want to try just a small partial watering, just enough to soak into the top 3 inches and satisfy the top set of spreader roots. Hold off on the saturation watering until you no longer can feel water weight.
Will do! I was wondering if letting the soil dry out like this will negatively effect all the soil biology I am trying to introduce. Dry medium is deadly to fungi and bacteria. That aspect had me confused a bit to be honest.

Will do! I was wondering if letting the soil dry out like this will negatively effect all the soil biology I am trying to introduce. Dry medium is deadly to fungi and bacteria. That aspect had me confused a bit to be honest.
This is a great example of BS from the bro science world. If someone said it on Youtube, it must be true.
Microbes are a lot more resilient than you are giving them credit for. Some microbes exist deep in volcanic craters and some at the bottom of the ocean. Long after we are gone, there will be microbes cleaning up the debris. When a microbe dries out, it can hibernate and even go into stasis. Microbes can be freeze dried and brought right back to life with a little bit of water. A newly formed mud puddle will wake up the microbes in the dry soil, and instantly microbes begin to multiply. Some species of our microbes double in population every 20 minutes or so. They are very hard to kill actually, other than by starving them to death. This is why they put chlorine in our drinking water.
Also, a typical organic soil has all sorts of spots for water and microbes to hide inbetween waterings. Perlite is full of holes, virtual caverns where if even one or two of our one celled critters survive, they can quickly repopulate the species in that bucket. Before you killed off enough of the microbes to matter simply by using up the water, the plants would have long ago died off and the soil would be dryer than you ever would allow it to get between waterings.
So no... drying the medium out is not deadly to your microbes since so many of them survive and are instantly revived upon watering. Also, even if you were killing off a majority of them, the next watering and especially the next tea brings them right back. The question becomes, is it more harmful to over water, or worry about a small percentage of your microbes naturally dying back, only to be revived with the next watering?

@Emilya Yeah...I probably saw it on YouTube. Haaa haa haaaa. After reading your response, it makes complete sense now.

The spot on the leaf is curious... is it just that one spot on one plant? Could something have been spilled on it? If you are seeing more of it, I would suspect magnesium, and I think too that they are looking a little hungry.

I forgot to speak on this. This is the only spot like this. I do have another leave on a different plant that also has some damage but it looks completely different. I'll get pictures of it later. It is possible something got spilled on it but I can't think of anything I have had near them that would be that nasty to do that. I don't have any chemical fertilizers or liquids that would have burned it. Hmmmm...got me wondering now. If a bird flew by and pooped or peed on it, would that do it possibly? I'm grasping at straws now. LOL

it could... also if you don't have a lot of fan movement in there, normal transpiration could have produced a water droplet that sat on that leaf and then acted like a magnifying glass.... but I would expect more damage if this was the cause, over time. I also considered that maybe it was random bug damage... and if you are saying that these plants are outside, that is a definite possibility.

Here are a couple more pics I went out to get. Here are a couple other leaves on the Romulan. Not exact damage in regard to the shape but similar end results. I have not sprayed for any pests yet on any of these plants. They are brought into the greenhouse at night. They are taken out into the main garden area at dawn and spend the rest of the day until dusk. Then into the little greenhouse for extra light. Currently at a 18/6 schedule. When I pot them up, a few will stay inside the greenhouse full time and the others will be finding new spots outside full time.

20200410_075010.jpg

20200410_075040.jpg

This is on the GG4? It had stress from when I first bought them and the subsequent transplant into this pot. Looks like scarring but now I'm wondering if it's related to the same problem with the Romulan.
20200410_074853.jpg

Thanks BTW folks for chiming in. It is appreciated!

There is already a lot of good information here but I spent time thinking on these topics in the past so I would like to share. I will also be around to see how this Purple Punch turns out.

About the microbes, Emilya already did the explanation. People say that microbes die in coco but live in soil so you need to introduce them on every irrigation if you are growing in coco. I strongly disagree because I did my test many times on many different mediums. I have this habit of leaving my rootzone dry for days and I am obsessed with the rootmass most about growing. I will share my method here but I must mention that no advise will work %100 for you. Everybody has different environmental conditions. You need to tweak the advise and make it work for you.

By nature, roots seek for water. And again by nature, roots develop as they seek for water. If you water your existing roots and give them comfort, they seek for less water therefore develop lesser. Clones are harder to deal with compared to seedlings. You don't have to feed a seedling for a long time. I got two seedlings of pink kush and BG41 and they are not fed for almost two weeks. I wired my LED board yesterday and before that they were outside of the tent and doing fine. They are not growing fast but they are alive.

Clones on the other hand need light feeding. The more leaves and plant tissue on your clone means the more feeding they will need but, they need to develop roots first. To help them, we use rooting hormones when cutting and we introduce beneficial microbes into the medium. We should give water to keeps both microbes and plant alive at first. But after the plant convinces us that it has some roots, we should cut down on water.

This is where I find foliar spraying the most benefical. You can spray or feed your clones and at the same time, you can keep your medium dry. You need to achieve a fine balance of dry/wet cycle and you should achieve that with the minimum amount of water introduced to the medium. These roots will get more air and become f*ck*ng thirsty. That is the condition for the maximum root growth in my experience. Keeping the microbes alive helps a lot but making them thirsty will pay off.

I keep foliar spraying and minimum watering until the clone shows some obvious signs of vertical growth. After that I start root training. This is the point where microbes start to play role on my grows. I use them at the very beginning and pause until the clone starts growing. After that point, I use them for another two weeks and pause until flowering. In flowering, I only use microbes on the transition week and maybe an additional 2 to 3 days.

Let me explain how I train my roots. After the clone becomes a vegging plant, I stop foliar spraying and use plenty of water on the first irrigation. I introduce microbes to the whole medium or in your case, I dank the transplant into Mykos and pour water on the circle that marks the contact of the transplant and the fresh medium. I am using AN Piranha and Tarantula in that water to help my plant with the transplanting process. Microbes play a great role on the transplants.

After the plant recovers, I water them close to outter rim. I keep them craving for water until they fill the pot. You need to focus below the ground. Whatever happens above the ground can only be fixed down there. Your plant won't die for weeks without water. I have recovered many worse. Make them search for water and fill the medium fast. Then your plants will explode with growth and buds. My purple punch has a 10 gal. coco pot now and I can see roots coming out of the fabric pot.

Wish you good luck with your grow :passitleft:

PS: I am using Sensi Cal/Mag to correct the deficiencies. It has chelated Iron and and working very fast and permenant in my experience.

Unfortunately, I am home from work today. I try not to get too personal online...or even in person to be honest. I have some extra time on my hands so I figured I would share a a little bit of me on this journal.

Had to visit the hospital last night. Been fighting a nasty infection that would not go away. My wife and doctor basically forced me. How dare they?! I'm a grown ass man. When the doctor said via video chat, "you need to go to the ER and I am calling ahead to let them know you are coming right now",I basically got the "I told you so" from the love of my life. But before I agreed, she needed to agree to let me put my first batch of compost tea together! :laughtwo::laughtwo::laughtwo:

She rolled her eyes at me and uttered in disbelief, "SERIOUSLY?!" I responded to her with a confident but slightly terrified tone, "just give me 10 minutes please. Our garden needs this!" Well 20 minutes past and I finally walked out the door so she could get me to the ER. I was still reluctant and told her I had other plans in the garden for tonight and this whole hospital thing is a real inconvenience. She shook her head and said, "unbelievable!" I still don't understand what I said or did that was irritating her. Oh well... It was an eventful night full of needles and vials of blood in various places and a big needle to remove some nasty juices out of my elbow. Tests and analysis and blah blah blah...I spent my evening on this forum and researching soils and compost teas. Then good news from the nurse that my first culture is back and I need to start with 2 different antibiotics for multiple bacterial issues. He said I would be able to go home but that they were still waiting on the results from the gallons of blood they drained out of me. Sepsis in the blood and yadda yadda yadda. Anyway, enough of that crap!
It allowed me an opportunity to stay home from work AND on a Friday! I got to enjoy the morning with a cup of coffee and some nice gentle rips of vape in the garden. Did a little bit of weeding and I do mean a little because I'm supposed to be resting for the next couple days with minimal activities. Good thing I have free child labor in this house! They are going to be doing A LOT of yard work today and tomorrow! Haaaa haaaaa! I went ahead and sent this pic (except with my actual face) to my wife shortly after she left for work.

I'm sure she was very happy to see this picture right after she left...but she has not responded yet. Hmmm :hmmmm::hmmmm:
20200410_075506-01.jpeg

I hopped out of bed like a kid that stayed home sick from school. With that newfound energy and vigor after the parents leave for work! Made my coffee, prepped my flower and vape pen, and out to the garden I went! It is rare for me to be home before sunrise because of my work schedule. It was a peaceful and truly restful morning listening to the birds sing and walking around the garden. The tranquility of walking around your fruit trees and smashing the life out of those DAMN Mother$&#÷@ CATERPILLARS!!! Oh yes, where was I...that's right... my garden.

I love the beauty from this seedling Dill. Look at the ends and the dew!
Remind you of anything?!
20200410_075948.jpg

How about the beauty of BlackBerry bushes that are blooming and showing you fruit buds from pollinated flowers?! MmmMmm, I can taste them already!
20200410_080304.jpg

20200410_080255.jpg

My salad corner is starting to fill in nicely. The day after sowing seeds, my dog decided to trample through this bed. I should have covered it as soon as I finished sowing...but noooo... I told myself I would do it the next day. Procrastination is a bitch sometimes!
20200410_080010.jpg

My apricot trees are looking splendid! I'm sure it will appreciate a good compost tea drink and foliar spray later this evening.
20200410_080514.jpg

This is my first ever batch of compost tea. I am currently brewing approximately 20 gallons. It will be used primarily for the fruit trees and veggie garden. The cannabis plants will be getting a little as well. They are all small so it won't be much. And then after reading Emilya's recommendation, I definitely will not be soaking them as much as I previously thought.

I'll post my brew mix below if anyone is interested in giving constructive criticism. It is loosely based off some of the main ingredients in the Boogie Brew product.

20200410_080651.jpg

20 gallon Compost Tea Recipe

4 cups worm castings
4 cups vital gardens vitality compost
1 Tbs Mykos
8 Tbs Unsulfured Molasses

Down to Earth Products included:
4 Tbs Bio-Live
8 Tbs Kelp Meal
8 Tbs Alfalfa Meal
2 Tbs Granular Humic Acids
1 Tbs Rock Phosphate
4 Tbs Vegan Mix

I will also be around to see how this Purple Punch turns out.
Awesome! Yeah, she is looking good so far. I'll be giving her food today. I will worry about transplanting maybe next week. I was also thinking of topping her. Thoughts about that and at this stage? Before or after the feeding?

You need to achieve a fine balance of dry/wet cycle and you should achieve that with the minimum amount of water introduced to the medium. These roots will get more air and become f*ck*ng thirsty. That is the condition for the maximum root growth in my experience. Keeping the microbes alive helps a lot but making them thirsty will pay off.

A great read! Thank you for all of it and your time to write it out.

A great reminder that I could have been giving them light foliar feeds the past couple weeks without watering. :idea: And as @The Physicist has already prescribed a couple times and I'm too thick to understand...:morenutes: Sorry! I'm slow to learn sometimes...constant reminders are not a bad thing with this brain. :laughtwo:

Love your garden and it's nice to see that men are still men when it comes to going to the hospital :rofl: I was particularly focused in on how you had alot of problems with insects and bugs. With any bugs, hydrogen peroxide for w/dish soap are a 100% necessity for a garden. The other diatomaceous earth.... Spread that all around the pots and even top dress the pots with it. Those are my 2 best creepy crawler tool to annihilate;) Looking forward to your summer grow!
:passitleft:

@CagedApe Thanks! I love being in my garden and caring for it.

Hospitals...pffft...I'm sure I would have been fine without that damn visit. What do they know anyway right?! FYI...my wife works at multiple hospitals (pharmacy). Don't tell her I said that. In case I stop responding here, I'll likely be buried behind my toolshed.

I was planning on using some BT spray on all the fruit trees and veggie garden. I am trusting it as it is listed as an organic solution. Does the hydrogen peroxide mixture you use take care of all bugs? What is your mix ratio BTW? I'd be interested in trying it. I lost ALL my plants to bugs and moldast year. Completely preventable but I got too laid back about my care. Otherwise, I would have been enjoying smoking my own supply this morning.

I do have a lot of DE available. I have spread some around my greenhouse and inside of it. I have not used it around my garden or as a top dress. I'll need to learn more about that!

@CagedApe Thanks! I love being in my garden and caring for it.

Hospitals...pffft...I'm sure I would have been fine without that damn visit. What do they know anyway right?! FYI...my wife works at multiple hospitals (pharmacy). Don't tell her I said that. In case I stop responding here, I'll likely be buried behind my toolshed.

I was planning on using some BT spray on all the fruit trees and veggie garden. I am trusting it as it is listed as an organic solution. Does the hydrogen peroxide mixture you use take care of all bugs? What is your mix ratio BTW? I'd be interested in trying it. I lost ALL my plants to bugs and moldast year. Completely preventable but I got too laid back about my care. Otherwise, I would have been enjoying smoking my own supply this morning.

I do have a lot of DE available. I have spread some around my greenhouse and inside of it. I have not used it around my garden or as a top dress. I'll need to learn more about that!

OH MY FRIEND!!!! THE WORLD OF HYDROGEN PEROXIDE IS NOW YOUR BEXT FRIEND IN THE GARDEN. First thing I do is, my spray bottle I dilute 30% HP down to 3% in a 1liter spray bottle and 2 or 3 tablespoons of dish soap. It is a leaf bug killer. All the little ones you can't see... GONE ;) The next is watering the plants with HP. I also dilute down to 3% so my water has all my nutrients and its 3% HP as well. This provides plenty of oxygen in the soil and also dries out fungus in the soil. I hope that clears up my usage of hydrogen peroxide. Any questions let me know.
:bongrip:

The next is watering the plants with HP. I also dilute down to 3% so my water has all my nutrients and its 3% HP as well. This provides plenty of oxygen in the soil and also dries out fungus in the soil. I hope that clears up my usage of hydrogen peroxide. Any questions let me know.
If I do this, will it be killing off the beneficial microbes and fungi that I am introducing with compost teas?

How long do you use this method for during the growing season (all stages)?

So I am focusing on using only organic products. Would this pesticide solution be considered organic?

Back
Top Bottom