Best Grand Daddy Purple?

My buddy is wanting to get some GDP from Big Head seeds. Any info on Grand daddy purple or this seed bank would be much appreciated. Also he is looking at the original Grandaddy Purple seeds but they are a bit pricey. Thanks :bongrip:

I've been searching myself. I'm going to bite the bullet and buy the original GDP (Ken Estes).
@Old Salt has another brand currently going.
:passitleft:
Scent: Hashy, fruity, earthy

Flavor: Rich, smooth, sweet aftertaste

Effects: Mental relaxation, creativity, energetic then calming. Ken’s GDP produces no hangover or ill effects and is great for chatting, laughing, physical activity, appetite stimulation then sleeping like a baby.

Suggested Medical use: Pain, insomnia, inflammation, anxiety, multiple sclerosis, appetite loss

Flowering Time: 8-9 weeks

Yield: Moderate

Growing Tips: Sensitive to spider mites, regular weekly preventive pest treatments are recommended to avoid infestation or outbreaks during flowering.

Difficulty: Intermediate

Geographic Origin: California, USA

Story: Created by breeder Ken Estes, Ken’s GDP differs from most GDP cuts. Ken’s GDP has been crossed back into itself creating a more potent, effective and robust strain.

• Breeder: Ken Estes
  • Type: Indica Dominant
  • Genetics: Purple Erkle x Big Bud
  • THC %: 15% – 19.99%
  • Average Rating: 5 stars

My mentor has a batch of Estes GDP going now. He has grow Erckle before and knows what it looks like and how it grows. Erckle is in there. A few of the plants have the same growth rate and weird leaves as Eckle does. Growth rates are REALLY slow. Erckle pheno's are 3' tall while the others are over 5. He found a couple with tons of frost so he plans to regenerate one. He didn't find any purple but didn't get any cold weather to help it indoors.

His take on Grandaddy Purps. It is what they say it is. That tells a lot. You should be able to see the heritage of a plants genetics in its growth. Even in a hybrid. There is lots of Erckle shining through in this hybrid. Finding a purple pheno would be great. Finding a tall fast growing pheno that is purple would be a true winner.

Maybe it is just me. When purple strains don't carry purple the flavor and highs just seem different. Might be a terpene thing that comes with color.

My mentor has a batch of Estes GDP going now. He has grow Erckle before and knows what it looks like and how it grows. Erckle is in there. A few of the plants have the same growth rate and weird leaves as Eckle does. Growth rates are REALLY slow. Erckle pheno's are 3' tall while the others are over 5. He found a couple with tons of frost so he plans to regenerate one. He didn't find any purple but didn't get any cold weather to help it indoors.

His take on Grandaddy Purps. It is what they say it is. That tells a lot. You should be able to see the heritage of a plants genetics in its growth. Even in a hybrid. There is lots of Erckle shining through in this hybrid. Finding a purple pheno would be great. Finding a tall fast growing pheno that is purple would be a true winner.

Maybe it is just me. When purple strains don't carry purple the flavor and highs just seem different. Might be a terpene thing that comes with color.

The reason I'm growing it is the high return of rosin when pressed. Since I put the rosin in capsules, taste is not an issue. Due to the synergistic effects, terpines are still a consideration. I can add them to the rosin along with the cannabinoids from another strain.

Interesting.

I can understand the fact that you get good returns from rosin. When my mentor says he found a frosty one he means it. All plants are frosty. If a plant has enough trichomes for him to regenerate it. It is a real winner. This guy has grown 1000's of plants and does not impress easy. Lots of strains have been grown and forgotten by him. Anything he continues to work with is always great.

This is for 2 reasons. 1 He knows what to look for and what a plant needs to be great. 2 just because he doesn't continue to grow a strain does not mean it isn't good. It mostly means he didn't find a plant that impressed him. Just because you order seeds does not mean you are going to get a great pheno.

He does all this without smoking them lol. That's knowledge! I was extremely bumbed when he found nothing he liked about Exodus Cheese LMAO. Like I said he does not smoke. Lots of what makes E.C. great is when it is smoked. Production was the real killer for E.C. I think. That and he didn't get a great pheno.

GDP is as advertised

Mine is Estes from @SeedsMan

I have a zillion reg seeds I've made, and some fantastic crosses with it

It's my favorite strain indeed

I'd be wary of some people's GDP, but guess it could be like my seeds, from Estes seeds and such

It does press really nice, and my Blue Balls aka GDP x ACDC is even better

Love it!!!!

Thanks for the replies...
So my friend went ahead and got 10 regs from Grand daddy purple genetics. These are Ken's also I think although I see there is a Ken Estes site at some seed banks. I am also thinking of doing this strain but I'll let my buddy run his and get some clones from his best girl. I'm sticking with big buddha cheese and either SLH or SSH atm. Again thanks for the replies and keep em coming.

Jackalope your mentor is correct. Someone once told me to get a truly special keeper pheno you have to go through an average of 50 seeds.

My buddy is wanting to get some GDP from Big Head seeds. Any info on Grand daddy purple or this seed bank would be much appreciated. Also he is looking at the original Grandaddy Purple seeds but they are a bit pricey. Thanks :bongrip:
have heard mixed reports about recent original GDP from Kens, i were lucky to score the Original back when he first released them attitudeseedbank approx 8yrs ago, still growing out pollen chucks from those too...#1, if you were after solid purp types that throw good color as well as great potency have heard a lot of good things about CSI/Humboldt Old Family Purple, also that same Bank has released a good Purple Urkle & Mendocino Purple in regs, have not heard a bad word about CSI's gear
have seen nice purp types from Norstar too with a very powerful Purple Mayhem in many, may be purchased from this bank with the best price on the net for Norstars wares

have ordered numerous times from both above banks with no issue, they are legit

*another really good purp type is Rare Dankness Rare Darkness, this one is a keeper in many peoples gardens

Thanks for the info X. I've wanted to use Atitude b4 cuz they have about every breeder out there but never pulled the trigger. I dont care for indica personally. These beans are for a buddy. Rare darkness sounds interesting though. I've done ghost train haze a few times and really enjoyed it although can be overwhelming even for a daily smoker:).

My mentor just finished up a run of Granddaddy Purps by Ken. He was not impressed in it as a producing strain. He grows for a living. Plants have to produce so much in a certain amount of time or they are not a viable option. Granddaddy Purps did not hit that mark.

He did find some really interesting plants and some really frosty pheno's. From the sound of it I would probably like it. I don't need plants to produce as much or as fast. The Purple Erckle traits showed up in a couple pheno's. Their slow growth had a lot to do with why he didn't like the strain. For a home grower all this doesn't matter. I don't need a strain like it as I like my purple strain just fine. It is a good option for others though. Some of the taller faster growing pheno's have really interesting traits.

I've been searching myself. I'm going to bite the bullet and buy the original GDP (Ken Estes).
@Old Salt has another brand currently going.
:passitleft:
Scent: Hashy, fruity, earthy

Flavor: Rich, smooth, sweet aftertaste

Effects: Mental relaxation, creativity, energetic then calming. Ken’s GDP produces no hangover or ill effects and is great for chatting, laughing, physical activity, appetite stimulation then sleeping like a baby.

Suggested Medical use: Pain, insomnia, inflammation, anxiety, multiple sclerosis, appetite loss

Flowering Time: 8-9 weeks

Yield: Moderate

Growing Tips: Sensitive to spider mites, regular weekly preventive pest treatments are recommended to avoid infestation or outbreaks during flowering.

Difficulty: Intermediate

Geographic Origin: California, USA

Story: Created by breeder Ken Estes, Ken’s GDP differs from most GDP cuts. Ken’s GDP has been crossed back into itself creating a more potent, effective and robust strain.

• Breeder: Ken Estes
  • Type: Indica Dominant
  • Genetics: Purple Erkle x Big Bud
  • THC %: 15% – 19.99%
  • Average Rating: 5 stars
I just got off the phone yesterday with the Granddaddy Purple Creator. And it was not Ken Estes.

That would be self evident since I called him.
So who made GDP then, or are u meaning the Indians did

Please do share your wisdom of the ages

So who made GDP then, or are u meaning the Indians did

Please do share your wisdom of the ages
I don't converse with people like you... who call people liars and try to hide it in sarcasm. I've even got a friend who wrote a song that Motley Crue made famous; but you will never hear the story, nor will you hear about my friend who created Grand Daddy Purple.

Back
Top Bottom