Big Bomb - First Grow

Don Logan

420 Member
Long time reader, first time poster. And as it is, first time grower as well.

A few months back I took a gamble with Bonza Seeds and purchased a 10 pack of Big Bomb, firstly because it was the cheapest (as I said, taking a gamble with international shipping, etc) and because it promoted the biggest yield with a pleasant body high.

After moving interstate into my new home I decided to commit every rookie error known to man with the first 8 seeds I germinated... and eventually destroyed over the following weeks. Let me repeat that, 8 (perfectly healthy and vibrant seedlings) destroyed.

Firstly I used the wrong light, and when I did switch to the right one it wasn't close enough and caused my babies to stretch. Then after adjusting that I continued to overwater them into near drowning. Once I realised the error of my ways I decided to purchase a grow tent with all sorts of lights, exhausts and fans. Problem was, the tent was 3 times the size I needed and is now sitting in the back of my garage in a crumpled heap alongside 2 perfectly useable lamps, and a carbon filter exhaust.

Not to mention that I gave them so many nutrients that the ph level tipped 10+. Even after repotting and flushing them there was no hope. They stagnated for weeks and I had to let them die and try again with what I had left.

This of course left me with 2 hopeful beans. Keeping in mind, there were not feminized or auto, they were regular seeds with a 50/50 chance of giving me a healthy girl. We're coming on 7-8 weeks now (foolishly I didn't mark the date they germinated because I expected to watch them die as well) and they look and smell amazing. Every day they're growing an 1/2 to an inch. Thick steams, dark leaves, rich and well drained soil.

As I mentioned earlier, I tore down the fancy grow tent with all the gucci attachments and decided to build a grow cabinet with two CFL lights. A real ametuer setup that matched my ameteur knowledge. The idea is to crawl before you run.

While I'll spare you the pictures and details of the frustrating build that was the cupboard I will get you up to date on my grow so far. As I said, I didn't mark the date of germination but I have a rough idea of where I'm at.

This here are my two survivors into their 2nd week. The soil I mixed myself with perlite, premium potting mix, fertiliser and seedling mix. Very high in nitrogen at first, so I cut it with more neutral potting mix. I let the top inch go dry before using a spray to manually water them. If you look carefully you can see the peat pots I germinated them in.

20170711_201136.jpg

Now we're moving into the 3rd week and overnight they got some balls about them and threw branches out from practically nowhere. I took a gamble (like I hadn't taken enough at this point) and put them into their final resting place. During the transplant I made a rookie error and removed them from their pot while the soil was dry. Thankfully they did not go into shock considering how much root was torn and lost.

20170719_124944.jpg

Pretty sure this is around week 4. After running into a little Nitrogen problem (which I only today realised is from the tap water I use, nothing to worry about just temporarily spikes after every big feed) they were soon growing again with great vigor. Here in Australia we have a product called Seasol which promotes root growth and since I'd been using it for years in my garden and seen the results I figured I'd give it a go with my 2 cupboard darlings.

20170728_140943.jpg

As you can see, for one of them in particular it worked too well. (Don't mind the seedlings on the left, we have a range of sunflower, coriander and watermelon growing).

20170731_062231.jpg

Meanwhile the other went horizontal, getting bushier by the day. The only nutrients I've been feeding them is a liquid fertilizer by the same company that makes Seasol and it has been working a trick. In conjunction with monitoring their PH levels, humidity, temperature and soil moisture I have been feeding them nutes once a week.

20170731_062250.jpg

As I mentioned earlier I am restricted by space, so after a serious amount of research and considering my skill set as an ametuer grower (and everyday horticulturalist) I pruned the bottom fan leaves that no longer served a purpose and a couple of mid-tier leaves that were blocking light. I also set about applying some LST around healthy stems that needed more light on the tall plant and pulling in the stretching stems from the fat one. (Don't mind the watermelon seedlings at the bottom, and the little greenhouse under that. Spring is coming and I'm getting all my seedlings ready to plant into the garden).

20170804_074108.jpg

20170804_091114.jpg

20170804_091122.jpg

These photos were taken this morning after its final prune. The tall one has been topped and the fat one has been reigned in. I may semi-lollipop it after a couple of weeks into flowering. They have received their final round of a Nitrogen heavy feed. Once the soil drys out they will receive filtered water (as mentioned, tap water is 8+ ph, filtered water from my fridge door is 5-6 ph), then a liquid bloom booster into its final weeks.

So far that's where I'm at. Pretty certain we're moving into week 7 or 8 on the grow and I'm readying the plants for the next stage of its life - flowering. The problem is that even though they're starting to pre-flower and I really can't tell exactly what they are. Maybe you can help. These photos were taken this morning and I'm fairly confident I have 2 female plants. If so, I struck the lottery considering the fate of their 8 previous siblings.

20170804_091157.jpg

20170804_091301.jpg

20170802_072941.jpg

20170802_073040.jpg

Cheers for stopping by. Feel free to leave any advice or suggestions. If either or both turn out to be girls I will update until they're fully cured. If not, we start again with some Texas Guinan I have germinating as back up.

So, I ended up trimming a few more leaves off my taller plant in an attempt to slow the growth but it only made it mad. As you can see it's climbing with a vengeance. And this is after it's been topped.

20170808_070650.jpg

The other plant has had very few fan leaves trimmed and is only getting bushier. I may have to take the blade to it because it is blocking so much light from the lower part of the plant. The LST didn't help as much as I'd hoped.

20170808_070645.jpg

I've also decided to leave it in a 18/6 veg cycle for now since they really aren't showing obvious signs of gender. So after another round of nutes we should hopefully know by the end of the week if I have a girl or a compost filler.

And if you're keeping score from my last post, only 1 of the watermelon seedlings survived, the lemongrass didn't come through at all, the cherry tomatoes seedlings are growing like crazy and the 4 Texas Guinan beans I planted all germinated. Will keep you in the loop as my Big Bombs come to their end and the Texas Guinan take their place.

Hello Don,

It appears you've got this round dialed in a lot better, at least from the history you posted. The shorter plant to the right is looking fantastic! Is the taller plant under a yellow light or is it lighter in color than its sibling?

In terms of sexing the plants; I wouldn't attempt to make that call. Even if they were mine, I wouldn't worry with it yet. They'll either show more of themselves as you veg them or, they'll certainly reveal the mystery once you change your photoperiod. Be patient and don't whack them too soon based on what you think the sex is...many a girl has been hacked in earnest.

I'm going to follow along for your journey....you're doing great so far!

Thanks for stopping by CannaCountry and for your kind words. To answer your question I have 2 different globes in my cabinet and up until recently was swapping the plants around daily. I would also turn the pots every 24hrs so that there is an even saturation and coverage of light. The two globes are 1 x 130w CFL 2700K and 1 x 130w CFL 6400K. I have other lights and an LED panel but these two plants appear to be very happy with the light, temperature and humidity levels.

As you did mention, I do believe it is too soon to tell if I have girls or not. Every day I'm searching for that elusive white hair or that unfortunate collection of pollen sacs. The deadline is this Sunday before I want to switch them over, however I want the branches that are showing obvious bud sites to strengthen since this strain is known for its yield.

While the growing community appears 50/50 on the issue of pruning in veg I can happily say that with a clean and sharp blade and knowing where and what to remove the plant returns the favour with explosive growth and potential. Now air and light is getting through both plants and the results are obvious. I removed about 80 grams of healthy but older fan leaves that shadowed over the mid-bottom part of the plants. It doesn't even look like I pruned them at all.

20170811_041819.jpg

Don't mind the holes in the cabinet, there is a plastic grill on the other side to draw fresh air in. It's a very crude set up but it's serving its purpose.

And as you can see, it is still too soon to tell.

20170811_041843.jpg

Well, as suspected the taller plant did in fact turn out to be a male. He now sleeps with the compost. However, with the very few examples we could take from the other we are 99.9% sure its a girl or on the fast track to becoming a hermie. Either way, I've decided to leave the remaining plant in veg for at least another week since it is short but bushy. It now has the whole cabinet to itself. Soaking in the light. Since topping was so simple on the previous plant I decided to top the crown of this one. Here's hoping for two delicious towers of bud.

20170814_044320.jpg

What a difference a week makes. It may not look like but she has grown in height and width. With many potential bud sites I have turned the cabinet over into a 12/12 light cycle and given her a round of bloom/bud nutrients at 3/4 the recommended dose. Because it is the tail end of winter here it has been very hard to maintain temperature and humidity but there doesn't seem to be any particular issues in growth. She is definitely far behind considering how long she has been in veg cycle, but I chalk that off to the first month of bad decisions and poor light/water/nutrient management. There is still a slight possibility that she will turn hermie considering the stress of the first few weeks, but I'm remaining positive.

20170818_041920_1_.jpg

First week of flowering down...second round of flowering nutrients fed...and just look at that foliage.

20170825_053857.jpg

And if there was any doubt that she is a beautiful girl...

20170825_053920.jpg

20170825_053957.jpg

Side note, because I'm not using trusted cannabis growing nutrients but rather everyday horticultural products that contain near identical ingredients (due to the fact that I'm building massive vegetable/flower/herb areas on my property) I gave some small mixed pansies that I have sitting on the windowsill a spray of what I had left in my flowering nute bottle... considering they were curled up, lifeless and not flowering 6 days ago...this is them now... keeping in mind that it is still very much a cold winter here (you'll also notice the surviving watermelon and tomato seedlings at the very back from earlier posts).

20170825_060224.jpg

Week two of flowering and her budlettes are coming through. I've counted approx. 15 bud sites, with at least 4 - 6 of them in a position to be a large cola. I've added two more lights to assist with the side and bottom of the plant, which she has responded to very well. I've had to adjust the height of my light everyday for the past two weeks due to stretching but in the last 48hrs it appears the most of the stem/trunk growth is done. Giving her a full round of blooming nutrients every 3-5 days and she appears happy with a full litre of filtered water every 36-48hrs.

20170903_054748.jpg

20170903_054803.jpg

20170903_054811.jpg

20170903_054819.jpg

20170903_054852.jpg

20170903_054907.jpg

And spring is finally here. If you recall me saying in my very first post that I ditched my brand spanking new grow tent because it was just too big. Well, I decided to repurpose it and put it to good use.

20170827_162253.jpg

20170902_132435.jpg

Most of those will hopefully be chilli plants. But I've also got a few tomato varities, sweet corn, cucumber, sqaush, snow peas, etc. in there for good measure.

And just a few other plants I bought and repotted. Olive, citrus, passion fruit, tomatoes, etc. Training them early.

20170902_132420.jpg

Its funny how I've learned more about horticulture in the last 3 months than in the last 30-odd years.

Thank you, CannaCountry. She is so beautiful. Every morning I check on her before I switch off the lights and I notice every little change she has made overnight. Had to move the lights to their final position just now; they can't go any higher. Gave the five main colas about 12 inches of space under the light, then another 6 inches to the roof, but I highly doubt I'm getting 18 inch buds.

I have learnt so much from this grow. Amazing luck considering I started with 10 beans and inadvertently killed 9 of them with inexperience (it is a very forgiving strain - would recommend to any beginner). And since I'm building a very large vegetable, herb and native flower/shrub garden I have saved myself a lot of time and money by transferring knowledge from this grow over to them.

Will post more pictures in a weeks time.

The difference a week makes. Look at all that glitter. At least she has stopped reaching for the sky.

20170916_034751.jpg

20170916_035003.jpg

20170916_034951.jpg

20170916_034941.jpg

20170916_034710.jpg

20170916_034701.jpg

20170916_034652.jpg

End of week 4 in flowering. Another 3 - 5 more weeks before I have the bitter sweet task of cutting her down and hanging her high.

Many thanks. Apart from very slight nute burn on her leaf tips she is very happy and healthy. Just treating her like a newborn. Almost sad to think that the journey is soon coming to an end.

End of week five. As you can see in the picture below I have defoliated any useless leaf and late blooming branches and buds; sending that energy north of the plant. You can also see that I've trimmed leaves around the middle and either tucked, cut of moved leaves in the canopy. Also starting to ease back on the bloom nutes. Unfortunately I was a complete noob when I first started and the soil is still slow-releasing nitrogen, hence the yellow tips on the new leaves. Nothing to worry about though. Oh, and I added a decent amount of wire to reign the branches of the plant into the centre like a bouquet of roses.

20170923_041103.jpg

20170923_041337.jpg

20170923_041347.jpg

20170923_041138.jpg

20170923_041116.jpg

20170923_041303.jpg

20170923_041209.jpg

20170923_041231.jpg

20170923_041251.jpg

Back
Top Bottom