Bio char

I'm going to have to try the pumpkin I've heard a couple ppl mention that my better half likes pumpkin maybe I'll talk her into eating more of it 😂😂
The worms love it, especially when blended up.
Getting to be fall time where you are at then isn't?
Yes, not far away. We just had record levels of rainfall, then a cyclone earlier this week, not much of a summer really.

I heard that on the news I'm in Michigan USA hope you all are recovering ok it's been up and down for weather here summer HOT and HUMID brings around all the bugs and mildew and this year winters been easy hardly any ice coverage on the Big lakes. I wish more ppl would realize about climate change And how we all play a part in it not just the corporations but all of us

When you get some time check out Dr Elaine Ingram on YouTube she got some REALLY GOOD advice on compost and compost teas and getting your own humic acid out of that instead of buying it and if you read get the book Teaming with Microbes and Teaming with Fungi by Jeff Lowenfel he's got 1 more I have to get I think it's Teaming with Nutrients they are on Amazon A REALLY GOOD reads and Brenda Sherman Worm Farmers Hand Book these books helped me get my worm bin and Bio char to that next level

IMG_20230210_084435.jpg

IMG_20230215_160121.jpg

IMG_20230218_073923.jpg

We get our pollets next week I think we are going with the Barred rock and the Isa Red I need to get another worm bin set up for trying to do the chicken poop I live in the suburbs, Fucking hate here I sold my ten acres and moved to town SUCKS!! Everything is polluted and these ppl whine to the twsp like there's no tomorrow. But I digress I'm trying to figure out a way to dispose of this chicken poop 💩 before it might become a problem and I don't want it in the land fill! My philosophy is What I can't repurpose I ♻️!

I'm trying to figure out a way to dispose of this chicken poop 💩 before it might become a problem and I don't want it in the land fill!
Mixed into compost piles. Add the usual stuff and turn frequently and the stuff might be ready in as soon as a month or two.

Or, dig a trench in a garden area and put the chicken droppings and litter in and cover. I do the trench composting by digging the trench where the major walkways will be in my gardens. Each season I choose a different set of paths through the garden.

Check with the city, either Grand Rapids or which ever suburb you are in, about yard waste pick-up during the spring through fall seasons. You might be able to put the chicken manure and litter on the curb in those larger yard-waste bags. And compost in the winter.

Thanks for the tip I might just try that I do know the ammonium in chicken 💩 is no good for worm that's why I was thinking about getting another Worm bin strictly for manure and I'm kinds hesitant about using just composted manures I like to send it through the worms to, what the thermal don't kill for ecoli and salmanila I figure the worms will get or there's less chance of getting it in my garden do you do your veggies along side your girls? Yeah I'm in Grand Rapids Hate it here lived up by Howard City in the country for the last 25 year's on ten acres and sold it to move to my girlfriends to help take care of her 97 y/o she's since passed so here I'm am for now till we get a few more upgrades on her house and the market turns around

...what the thermal don't kill for ecoli and salmanila I figure the worms will get or there's less chance of getting it in my garden...
Might not be as bad as you think. Our daughter is running 25 laying hens for this year. She and her husband are in the medical/doctoring line of work and they have no problem letting their kids clean out the coop and run and carry the stuff over to the compost pile. But, they are sticklers for hand washing after working with the chickens or collecting the eggs.

do you do your veggies along side your girls?
I wish I could. I can get sunflowers that are supposed to grow to 8 foot high to actually grow to 10 to 12 feet. Imagine how tall I could get a Cannabis plant. ;).

My backyard is visible to the public on two sides and the fence along those sides is a cyclone wire fence. The other side of the back fence line is a meeting hall for a social organization and the side fence line is along one of their driveways. About all I can do is a stealth grow and keep a couple of plants on the patio and near the neighbor's privacy fence. And I have to keep the outdoor plants short, about 3 feet tall.

Might not be as bad as you think. Our daughter is running 25 laying hens for this year. She and her husband are in the medical/doctoring line of work and they have no problem letting their kids clean out the coop and run and carry the stuff over to the compost pile. But, they are sticklers for hand washing after working with the chickens or collecting the eggs.

I wish I could. I can get sunflowers that are supposed to grow to 8 foot high to actually grow to 10 to 12 feet. Imagine how tall I could get a Cannabis plant. ;).

My backyard is visible to the public on two sides and the fence along those sides is a cyclone wire fence. The other side of the back fence line is a meeting hall for a social organization and the side fence line is along one of their driveways. About all I can do is a stealth grow and keep a couple of plants on the patio and near the neighbor's privacy fence. And I have to keep the outdoor plants short, about 3 feet tall.
Oh yeah jeesh just the smell alone would out you being where you are! We are starting out with 6 hens for now I laughed about the kids I remember catching the roosters as a kid for slaughter I was the QUICKEST of the bunch lol those mean ole Roosters didn't have a chance with me around but anyways yeah I might be overreacting a bit about the other stuff just wasn't sure about it been trying to find some reliable sources kinda hard to do on the internet sometimes either all these sites either want to do is steal your identity or take your money by switch and bait tactics man a WHOLE LOT of BAD info on the internet now a days!!!

Oh an I used to grow some MONSTERS up in Howard City all of 12 ft tall or better and 4 to 6 ft around it REALLY STINKS here in town used to get the old cow manure from the farm down the road I'd put it down twice a year And that is all I used up there had HUGE SUCCESS with that manure nice and dry and cured it was GOOD SHIT literally 😂

Bio char method has been used for thousands of years. Scientists have studied the Amazon rainforest and found that in more areas then not that this bio char or what they call “Terra Preta” has been utilized. I too am interested in this and will be making my own. I’ll post the results as accurately as I can.

When you get some time check out Dr Elaine Ingram on YouTube she got some REALLY GOOD advice on compost and compost teas and getting your own humic acid out of that instead of buying it and if you read get the book Teaming with Microbes and Teaming with Fungi by Jeff Lowenfel he's got 1 more I have to get I think it's Teaming with Nutrients they are on Amazon A REALLY GOOD reads and Brenda Sherman Worm Farmers Hand Book these books helped me get my worm bin and Bio char to that next level
Thanks, I have heard about those books and understand them to be great. And I've heard a lot of good stuff too about Dr Elaine Ingram's soil web work too. Altho to be honest, for stealth purpose I only grow on a balcony and it's already chocka, I don't really need them to get any bigger.

Oh yeah jeesh just the smell alone would out you being where you are!
I have been adding this product to their food, 'poultry bokashi'. It is said to help produce firmer poops for less smell. It seems to be working too. Some people have noted that the chickens seem to digest better and not waste as much food.

I have also been picking up bags of used coffee grounds that one of the petrol station chains over here put out for their customers to take for composting etc. I read of some chicken folk sprinkling the coffee grounds around their runs to keep the smell down. We've only got 5 chooks, and perhaps the bokashi is working as there doesn't seem to be any smell but under the roosting screen in my coop there is a tray that once a week or whenever needed, I can slide it out and dump their waste in the compost bin as apparently 70% of their poop is generated when they're sleeping. I have 2 bins so I manage them so I know which is broken down and which is fresh.

Bio char method has been used for thousands of years. Scientists have studied the Amazon rainforest and found that in more areas then not that this bio char or what they call “Terra Preta” has been utilized. I too am interested in this and will be making my own. I’ll post the results as accurately as I can.
It was reading about the bio-char that they found throughout the Amazon that got me first interested in it. I think it is a great input.

Thanks Stunger I've heard that too I know that Bokashi I use does a good job with keeping the smell down in the pile I think that's a good idea about the chickens I'll research that some more 🙏 I think I might try the bio char. I've been seeing hemp bedding to for smells and absorption advertised by Carolina coop's check them out they have some cool accessories and some mansions for coop's

Thanks Stunger I've heard that too I know that Bokashi I use does a good job with keeping the smell down in the pile I think that's a good idea about the chickens I'll research that some more 🙏 I think I might try the bio char. I've been seeing hemp bedding to for smells and absorption advertised by Carolina coop's check them out they have some cool accessories and some mansions for coop's
This week I am fermenting* some grains for the first time that I will give them tomorrow. I have read that fermented grains help their digestion and overall strength. Someone found that they eat less as they digest more and that helps their poops be firm and not smelly, I think it is the runny poops that really attract clusters of flies in summer, which mine don't seem to be getting since I started adding the 'poultry bokashi' to their feed. Cheers.

* <edit> for what it's worth I am fermenting them for 3 days as I read on this site. As they found 3 days to be the 'sweet spot', so I am starting off with that!

Cool keep us updated I'm always interested in making my own stuff👍
I too make 99% of my own “material” now. FFOF was my go to and at $35 a bag, let’s just say I’ve spent the equivalent of a new car in it. In another thread of mine I posted awhile back, I re-discovered my fathers leaf pile. And by leaf pile I mean a 25 ft tall, 80 yards long, 40 yards wide, over 40 year old pile of mostly oak and maple leaves. I dug down about 3ft and found dark dark black compost that looks much like Bio-char. I literally celebrated this finding like I won the lottery! To me and I’m sure many here it is like winning the lottery right? :yahoo:
Sorry if I’m rambling but this stuff excites me to learn. It’s changed my life as I’m sure it has for you. I want to send this leaf mold off to be tested as well as my own mix of soil being as I have unlimited access to every amendment needed EXCEPT aeration. Thanks for you interest and I’ll keep everyone posted once I send them off.

Back to biochar or bio-char. The stuff is not typical pieces of charcoal like we find in a fire pit or after a brush pile has burned down. This wood ash and charcoal is very usable and will work wonders for improving gardens and farm fields but it will not last long before it breaks down and is done decomposing.

Real biochar is pieces of wood and woody material that is set on fire and then covered so it finishes by smoldering until the burning goes out because no more oxygen is available. The last part of the process is not really a burning. End result is a hard, almost hard as a rock, piece of charcoal that will not decompose for years sometimes centuries. Some of the biochar enriched soil in the Amazon still has the same pieces of char that were added several hundred years ago.

This week I am fermenting* some grains for the first time that I will give them tomorrow. I have read that fermented grains help their digestion and overall strength. Someone found that they eat less as they digest more and that helps their poops be firm and not smelly, I think it is the runny poops that really attract clusters of flies in summer, which mine don't seem to be getting since I started adding the 'poultry bokashi' to their feed. Cheers.

* <edit> for what it's worth I am fermenting them for 3 days as I read on this site. As they found 3 days to be the 'sweet spot', so I am starting off with that!
Are you sprouting said seeds before ferment?

Back
Top Bottom