Blue Dream - G8 900 LED - FFOF - DIY CO2 - FF Nuts - Overkill 1st Grow

Psomi

My first journal and shot at growing in 10 years.

Blue Dream is my strain, 4 plants. G8 900 LED 30" from tops (Lux app says ~450). FFOF soil with 20% perlite added. DIY Co2. Basically all the Fox Farm nuts + cal mag, silica blast, and molasses. PH/TDS/EC meters. 5x5x80" tent. Temp is dialed at 77*, RH is 40% lights on. RH is 60% and 75* lights off. I dialed in my tent before I germanted (well from what I've read, it's ok). The LED stays cool to the touch! Tent is ventilated out with a carbon filter and a dial with my fan set at about 50%. Intake is from the bottom of the tent via 6" ducting from negative air pressure. Plants are in vented solo cups now and will go into 7 gallon smart pots in another week or so.

Oldest plant is almost 9 days in slightly vented solo cups. I've read the soil is good, you don't need to feed for 3 weeks but I've also read blue dream is a TOUGH strain.. So since they sprouted I've mixed ~ a 10% feed to my water according to the Fox Farm chart for a boost and they look VERY happy. 8 days old and I see the 3rd set coming, seems good? PPM was 95..PH to 6.3

I think in all moderation I'm going slow compared to the feeding chart. Fox Farm says that you can feed from seedling, even with their soil. My understanding is that the community says you can get away without feeding for 2-3 weeks in the FFOF soil, but the point that I'm trying to make is according to the company that makes the stuff they will do better with feeding. Even though the soil is great, going that long is already half of my veg nuts up in smoke. (I plan to veg ~6weeks) I don't really have a budget so is not like I'm trying to save some cash by extending the life of my nuts. I want to ride that line of almost nut burnt leaf tips, then slightly back off feeding if they like it. I'm not going full on with the dose, 50% seems fair to see how they like it. My silica blast wont be here for a few more days anyway.

I want to start my week 2 feeding at 50% strength, I think that is a good baseline to see how they like it. Here is what it would look like for a gallon of feed, PH set to 6.3-6.5:

-Big bloom 15ml (rec is 30ml, on chart)
-Grow Big 5ml (rec is 10ml)
-Kangaroots 2ml (rec is 2.5ml)
-Micro Brew 2ml (rec is 2.5ml)
-CalMag Plus 2ml (rec is 2-3ml)
-Silica blast ??? its not here yet. lol

I want to try feed/feed/water. In the plain water days I'm going to add ~1-2 tbsp. of unsulfured molasses. Probably the lesser amount since I've read this is good in moderation.

Am I at least on the right track, from the eyes of someone who has been doing this for awhile? I know there is no special trick to getting these to grow, but there are tricks to pull 1-1.5lbs from a single crop. Having the micro environment perfect at all times and giving the girls what they need to produce large quality, I'm hoping this will help get me there..

One more question, for a scorg net. Should I top twice? I'm planning on toping at least once after the 3rd node for the first one. If I do top again do I wait for the 3rd node again or top right away? The 2nd toping is what I couldn't find much on. Thanks for your help! Oh yeah I'll look into pics today.

Front right is almost 9 days, front left is almost 7 days old. The back 2 are 5 days old.
image35564.jpg

Lights off the RH goes up a bit due to the water I added to keep it at ~45% lights on. Should be ok.
image35565.jpg

Poor pics because I rushed, next with be much better HD. DIY Co2 in the back right of tent.
image35562.jpg
image35563.jpg

blue dream is a pretty popular strain,, or atleast i hear of it often,, but never had it,,

I picked it for a number of reasons, mostly from how tough I heard this strain is and it's a yielder.

Mini update. First water in 4 days. Mixed a fresh gallon, added 3ml of silica blast, 2 ml of cal mag, and 1/3 tbsp of molasses. Ph set at 6.42, ppm was 145. They each received about 1/2 a solo cup or less, this gave me a little runoff.

The next time they need water they will get straight 6.5 water. Will wait until bone dry. As I beleive I over watered the last time. Pics next update :)

UPDATE***

3 Days of growth since last pictures above, one has been up-potted into a 2 gallon smart pot. The other 3 will be done sometime this holiday weekend. They received ph'd 6.42 water 2 days ago and are not ready yet for more watering.

Double, thanks! I have never heard anything bad about this strain, everyone loves it. I cant wait to see how it does as well, I couldn't find any grow logs with this LED set-up. Total LED wattage is 1180, around 700 watts at the wall for flowering. Veg it's just the main 900 watt which draws about 600 from the wall.

image35604.jpg

Double, veg I'm looking at around 6 weeks, I might push it to 7. My plan is to take 8 clones, 2 from each plant right at the 6 week mark. Then after a few days of recovery, flip them to 12/12. I will be getting a cheap cloner and another smaller 300 watt light for a separate veg tent. I don't have any of that setup or purchased but once the time is closer I'll pull the trigger on a nice 300 watt LED for vegging. I was thinking a 3x3 tent for veg under a 300 watt LED, leave them 6-7 weeks. Once the 5x5 flower tent is done around week 8 I'll be able to keep a nice rotation.

I've never cloned but if they take 1-2 weeks to root then that would leave them exactly 6-7 weeks in the veg tent. Then I would cut clones and move them into the flower tent, blue dream I was told is a 8 week flower. Rinse and repeat. On paper it makes sense.

Hidden, I hope all goes well. I have all the tools and you guys for help, I just need to get the job done properly. Everything I'm doing is speculation and based off advise. It's my first shot at growing anything in a long long time.

UPDATE***

Just got done giving them each ~ 1/2 of a solo cup of water, 3 days since the last watering. The cups felt light and they are vented on the sides for a little more O2 circulation. I'm having a hard time gauging this watering, I don't want to over do it.

Merry Xmass Eve OG's

UPDATE***

After the run off settled I decided to see where I was at with it and did some testing. PPM was 103, PH was 6.35. Next watering I will raise PH to 6.5 and they will get a 50% feeding along with 2 gal smart pots. They will stay in those for a few weeks then into 7 gallon smart pots.

UPDATE***

3 days since the last picture above and a little update. 2 days ago the remaining 3 have been put into 2 gallon smart pots and their first official feeding at 40% strength, they LOVED it. My xmass present to my girls lol. PPM was 900, PH was 6.48. I'm glad I added silica blast in the mix, the stem is double the size in just a few days.. Temp was raised to 79 and I've bumped the Co2 50%. I also raised the distance to 31" from tops. This light is intense, G8 says no closer than 26", as they grow older I will close that gap for best results.

RH is steady at 45%, temp raised 2* for increased Co2.
image35648.jpg

My oldest @ 16 days old. Side branches are starting to form. Top this week???
image35649.jpg

Front right is 16 days old now, front left is 14 days old. The back 2 are 12 days old.
image35650.jpg

The next watering will be another light feeding at same 40% strength. I'm going to roll with the feed/feed/water and see if they like it. With the water only days having a splash of silica blast, cal mag (because LED), and molasses added. For now that seems like its ok.

Cheers.:420:

Update***

The oldest has been topped/FIM. She is 18 days old now. For consistency the next will be done in 2 days followed by the last 2 plants, 2 days after that. This way each will be done on their 18th day of life. I've mixed up a fresh gallon of water with 4ml of silica and 3ml of cal mag, ph set to 6.45, PPM was 145. This will be given in the next day or so when they need to it, only about 1/2 of a solo cup each.

My plan is to veg these out under a scorg net with some LST prior to the net. I want to flip at 6 weeks but it mainly depends on plant growth. I might go 7-8 weeks if that's what it takes. I'll be taking ~8 clones around week 6, still have to get a cloner, veg tent, veg led, ect.

That's it for now, I'll update pictures once all have been topped. This will allow a few extra days for comparison. Cheers.

More pics ! :popcorn:
Carful bringing 4 plants to 8 weeks veg. My one blue dream veggged for 9 weeks probably coulda done 10 and filled a 3x3 space. They are definitely growers. Stretch is about 2x. Good luck and I can't wait to see your space fill up.

Big(er) Update***

I don't think I'll be vegging that long (8 weeks) but once I start cloning, taking into account a 7-14 day rooting cycle it will be around 8 weeks for a perpetual grow. On paper I'm guessing my clones will take around 2 weeks to root, veg for 6 weeks = 8 weeks. Then lastly flower for 8 weeks with LST/FIM/SCORG applied throughout veg/flower. This should give me a decent rotation, that's if I can time it right and not make mistakes. lol. Never cloned before.

All is going good with one minor hiccup, luckily I found the cause and fixed it right away. I live in a new place, even though I'm a very clean person..there is a lot of construction dust! The prefilter on my carbon setup was completely clogged and my tent temps were 85 this morning. I've noticed in the past week I had to turn up my inline fan a few notches but didn't think much of it when the temp went up a little. Since I dialed it down when I added more Co2 I was ok with it being 80, even 82.. Today I went in and saw 85*, red flag. No way in hell is this right because the fan wasn't pushing the air it was before. So I checked my prefilter and sure enough it was clogged with what looked like drywall dust. Cleaned and I had to turn my fan way back down. I'll closely watch my prefilter and wash it around every 1-2 weeks. Cant hurt:hmmmm:

Now on to my babies! Tomorrow is officially day 21 for my oldest, the next is 2 days behind, with the last 2 being 2 days behind that one.

Overview. Humidifier back left, DIY Co2 back right. Also there is a heater front right on a t-stat set to 75* so my tent temps stay warmer for veg when the lights go off.
image35687.jpg

image35688.jpg

My oldest @20 days. She was FIM'd 2 days ago. LST started today.
image35689.jpg

image35690.jpg

Cheap DIY Co2, gets a weekly recharge. I will add more as they get bigger, then reduce late flowering.
image35691.jpg

Now moving forward. I want to keep this perpetual. As I said before I'm taking clones from these before they go into flower. I've ordered a few supplies to make this happen keeping a budget in mind. First I needed a cloner. Went with the Clone king 25 site, Clonex Gel/Clonex Clone Soultion. Next a micro environment. I like my Apollo flower tent, its 5x5x80". I decided to go with Apollo again for a veg/clone tent, 36"x36"x72". Should be plenty of space. Next a veg light. I love my 1200 watt flower set-up, but Its wayyyyy overkill for seedlings and even young veg. After a ton of research I went with the Mars Hydro Reflector 96. I plan just using the veg switch for clones and little plants, then I'll flip the bloom on for the rest of veg. This should be plenty, 205 wall watts. Also got 2 small clip fans. That's it for now. I will eventually have to figure out ventilation but for a small tent with a low watt light I might not really need it. If they become stinky I'll buy a cheap 4" carbon filter/inline fan set-up. For now I'm trying to stop spending money on this stuff as I'm heavily vested already.

Cheers:420:

As of the new year all are now FIM'd. Yesterday they received their 2nd dose of the FF, the next will be just water. They drank that first feeding much faster, about 2-3 days is all it took. This time I fed them about 1 full solo cup so double the water. Hope they enjoyed it :) My oldest is now 3 weeks, on to the 4th week tomorrow. Woot woot. I have 3 weeks to setup a clone/veg tent. I'm excited!

Happy new year, cheers!

This weekend I started construction of my huge scorg net, needs to fill a 5x5 tent. I wanted it to be clean, strong, and lasting. Plus easy to take apart. Used all plastic, no rope or string so it should be solid. Cost was about $18.

My 2 oldest plants have underwent a little LST, the others I will leave. They are recovering from being FIM'd. They will need to be watered tomorrow, possibly another day out.

I'm not sure how tall I want to build the net, I think I'll wait until I'm deeper into veg. Once I know the final veg plant height I can calculate a height from that. I'll figure if they stretch x2 the size, that stretch will completely fill out the net. Then and I wont run into height issues with these things. I need around 30" to play with because this LED is so damn intense. My tent is 80" tall as well.

I'll post some pics next watering. Cheers!

They still don't need water (2 gallon smart pots) but its getting close. Last watering was about 1 solo cup each. It seems they did not like me FIMing them, a little stunted. The first one I FIM'd is almost recovered. It would seem this little stunt is why they didn't drink as much. Not going to overwater so I need this soil to become dry, or very close to dry anyway.

How many days does a plant take to recover from a top or FIM style cut?

Back
Top Bottom