Blue Dream - First transplant & feed from solo - Let's time it perfectly!

Psomi

Ok so I need advise so I can try and time this transplant right + the first 1/2 dose feeding, I've done a TON of reading. Please help! Here is what I'm working with:

Blue Dream is my strain. G8 900 LED 30" from tops. FFOF soil with 20% perlite added. DIY Co2. Basically all the Fox Farm nuts + cal mag, silica blast, and molasses. PH/TDS/EC meters. 5x5x80" tent. Temp is dialed at 77*, RH is 40% lights on. RH is 60% and 75* lights off. I dialed in my tent before I germanted :) (well from what I've read, it's ok)

Oldest plant is 8 days in slightly vented solo cups. I've read the soil is good, you don't need to feed for 3 weeks but I've also read blue dream is a TOUGH strain.. So since they sprouted I've mixed ~ a 10% feed to my water according to the Fox Farm chart for a boost and they look VERY happy. 8 days old and I see the 3rd set coming, seems good? PPM was 95..PH to 6.3

Anyway I want to time my transplant into the 7 gallon smart pots I have perfect. I was thinking right around the end of week 2? What are your thoughts? Also since I'm entering week 2 of veg I want to bump the feed to 50%, will this be ok with my strain? Or should I go more like 75%? I would rather not burn them but I've seen people run blue dream and say they take everything lol.

This is my first grow in 10 years so I'm trying really hard to get it right on the first shot. I've read countless journals and every blue dream journal I could find. I've spent hours compiling info from this community and I want to thank all of you who put in so much work for peeps like me!:circle-of-love:

re: Blue Dream - First transplant & feed from solo - Let's time it perfectly!

Take a look at the roots by pulling it out of solo cup a little bit. If roots are balled up then transplant. As for the feeding remember a little goes a long way. Be patient and let the Blue Dream tell you what she needs. There is no magic potion to make these wonderful plants grow overnight. Better to go slow and add if needed. Good luck and post some pics.

Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

Thanks for the tip on the roots, hopefully this wont stress the plant out.

I think in all moderation I'm going slow compared to the feeding chart. Fox Farm says that you can feed from seedling, even with their soil. My understanding is that the community says you can get away without feeding for 2-3 weeks in the FFOF soil, but the point that I'm trying to make is according to the company that makes the stuff they will do better with feeding. Even though the soil is great, going that long is already half of my veg nuts up in smoke. (I plan to veg ~6weeks) I don't really have a budget so is not like I'm trying to save some cash by extending the life of my nuts. I want to ride that line of almost nut burnt leaf tips, then slightly back off feeding if they like it. I'm not going full on with the dose, 50% seems fair to see how they like it. My silica blast wont be here for a few more days anyway.

I want to start my week 2 feeding at 50% strength, I think that is a good baseline to see how they like it. Here is what it would look like for a gallon of feed, PH set to 6.3-6.5:

-Big bloom 15ml (rec is 30ml, on chart)
-Grow Big 5ml (rec is 10ml)
-Kangaroots 2ml (rec is 2.5ml)
-Micro Brew 2ml (rec is 2.5ml)
-CalMag Plus 2ml (rec is 2-3ml)
-Silica blast ??? its not here yet. lol

I want to try feed/feed/water. In the plain water days I'm going to add ~1-2 tbsp. of unsulfured molasses. Probably the lesser amount since I've read this is good in moderation.

Am I at least on the right track, from the eyes of someone who has been doing this for awhile? I know there is no special trick to getting these to grow, but there are tricks to pull 1-1.5lbs from a single crop. Having the micro environment perfect at all times and giving the girls what they need to produce large quality, I'm hoping this will help get me there..

One more question, for a scorg net. Should I top twice? I'm planning on toping at least once after the 3rd node for the first one. If I do top again do I wait for the 3rd node again or top right away? The 2nd toping is what I couldn't find much on. Thanks for your help! Oh yeah I'll look into pics today.

Small update.

I went in to check on them and they are still moist enough that they wont need water for another day or 2. Temp is 77*, RH is 42%. The solo cups still have weight to them. When they need it I will use my off feed water with 1 tbsp. of molasses mixed in the gallon. By the time they need water again, it will be deep into week 2 if not slightly longer. I think that will be perfect timing for the 50% feed. It will be closer to week 3. We will see I guess, I want to water now but they don't need it lol.

Cant wait for them to start drinking more! Pics coming.

Sorry for quaility, next time they will be better. I didn't want to leave the tent open long so I rushed. Front right is almost 9 days old. Front left is almost 7 days old. The back to are 5 days old.
image35564.jpg
image35565.jpg
image35562.jpg
image35563.jpg

Looking good �� In my first journal I have some nice pictures of my transplant have a look �� and maybe open a journal as well so we could fallow the whole grow and help were needed ��

Thank you! Sounds perfect I'll check it out right now.

My journal is up, expect daily updates :)

Welcome Fiveslow87... I can hear your excitement in the post. I use FF nutes as well. The girls look fine. Remember it is easier to correct an underfeeding than it is to correct an overfeeding! Keep that in mind when making your decisions. This will be a long precess so don't rush it. You mentioned transplanting into 7 gallons. If thats what you want to finish in thats great i do the same BUT I wouldn't go from solo cups to 7 gallon on the first transplant. Work your way up to it. If you put that little lady in a 7 she will struggle. Watering and feeding becomes a problem due to the amount of soil and plant size. You already said you want to water but they are not ready. Imagine watering in a 7 gallon how long it would take for the soil to dry our for the next feeding? Follow me? Your set-up looks great. I don't use LED but have been tinkering with the idea. One thing i didn't see or hear you talk about is ventilation. Do you have a inline fan with a carbon filter. As these ladies grow you're going to want one. I am no expert but have done well. Remember to stick to the basics which it seems you have. Your starting our great so keep it up and you will do well. I just transplanted my girls from 1.5 quart pots (about 1.5x size of your solo cups) into 3 gallon smart pots. Will keep them in here for a few weeks and make the final switch to 7's before flipping. I just started a journal and documented this transplant. Check it out, I'm a few weeks ahead of you so you may see something you like just before you get there yourself. Happy Growing and welcome to the site. You will find some great advise...

I just chopped a Blue Dream. I found it very easy (and rewarding) to grow. I didn't find it tough at all until maybe mid-late bloom. But as a toddler, it ate well and had no issues.
I'd lay off the nute's with babies that small, but they look OK so far.
I try to transplant once the plant needs water every two days or when the plant is obviously rootbound and is fading in its current soil.
I agree about taking a look at the roots. I look and transplant when the cup is dry. That makes it light (less stress on the plant) and the soil holds together better. Done correctly, the plant gets no stress. When you do up-pot, score the rootball to loosen them up. It makes it much easier for them to move into their new home quickly. I always do wet/dry cycles and it takes about two-three weeks for seeds to fill a solo cup. YMMV.

Looking good! :thumb:

Thank you guys for the advice, notes taken. I'm very excited! lol Been doing a ton of research and changes to things even before germination to try and get my micro climate set within a healthy range. I will be careful with the nutes at first, I wont go over 50% full dose. I have 2 gallon smart pots also. I was going to fold them down so they were more like 1.5 gallon pots for my first transplant. From those into the 7 gallon pots. I left that out!

Ripples, I know my pics suck but take a look at the 3rd one down. In the back behind my UFO (flower spec for later, will be adding 2 of those just for flower) You can see my carbon filter which vents out the top. I have a inline fan set-up in 2 stages of boxes for sound reasons outside the tent, my fridge is louder now lol. That is set on a dial and running at 50% power pulling air out from the top through my carbon filter. I have a 6" intake pipe in the bottom of the tent which pulls in cool air from the vacuum created by my inline/carbon setup.

I've never played with HID but from what I hear these LEDs can do just as well for cheaper monthly costs and give off small amounts of heat..they just cost a lot upfront. The unit I have, G8 says will replace a (cheap) 1400 HID HPS system..not sure about that though lol. Anyway my led is rated at 900 watts, pulls just under 600 from the wall. It's full spec, 8 different bands I believe. The 2 UFO's I'll have on either side are 90 watts each and full red spec just for flowering. The LED was not cheap by any means but I got the stuff for 20% off for black Friday. $100 off the G8 900, 20% off UFO's, so I saved some. Total watts will be 1180 LED, about 700 watts at the wall. In a 5x5 tent this should work well from what G8 is telling me. We will find out?!

Back
Top Bottom