Budding & Flowering Marijuana

the thing to sweat about is a timer breaking and the light staying on too long. That can fuck shit up. This however should be all good.

jimmy is spot on, the extra dark period wont cause any issues like hermie or the plant starting to go back into veg, the only thing you need to try and avoid is getting the schedule messed up over a long period like a few days, or letting light in during the lights off period, any light leaks during the lights off period will cause hermie and pretty quick, but the odd day of the light messing up or a timer not switching off wont cause to many issues as long as its just a one off and not a constant problem.

my old timer used to sometimes stay on when it should of switched off so i changed to a digital timer, but again this messed up and instead of it just giving 24 hours for a day it carried on counting up and when i checked it was on about 38 hours, so the digital timer messed up as well, so i went back to an old style timer and not had any problems since, but i didnt have any problems with hermie plants due to this but i would of done if the problem carried on for a few days,

you could always bring the plants out of the room into natural light for the lights on period but hopefully you have managed to get a timer and back on track, when we have power cuts i put the plants in the spare room and live then near a window just so their still getting some sort of light,

I have a couple of questions:

Why is that this plant turned its leaves so yellow?. It's only 12 weeks old, 6-7 weeks into flowering.
Do you think I should just harvest it?

DSC038601.JPG
DSC038593.JPG
DSC038573.JPG
DSC03849.JPG
DSC038452.JPG
DSC038441.JPG

I'm a bit dissappointed. I have taken so much care of her...

Thanks for you comments...

I think sometimes over watering can do this, but also I've noticed in my own experience that when a plant is almost done that it starts to finish off. My opinion is don't panic, other than the yellow leaves, it's beautiful and healthy. I say as long as it does'nt go south, and showing signs of any spreading problems.You've got maybe 2 weeks to go, you'll be blowing your own before you know it. Good luck, peace.

hi,

when a plant is in late flower it uses the nutrients stored in the leaves to support the buds, so the leaves then start to turn yellow usually from the bottom up,

how ever other things that can cause this are lack of nutes, have you been giving it nutrients during the flowering stage, some strains reach harvest quicker than others, some in 6 weeks and anything up to 11 weeks in flower, so the longer it has in veg the bigger it will be, during flowering they dont grow as much and spend most the time producing flowers,

but most plants in late flower will have the leaves turn yellow, the only way they will stay green is if you feed them a higher N feed which would be a veg stage feed, during flowering you reduce the N feed and up the P and K feed,

to check if its ready for harvest you need a magnifying glass or a small jewelers loop or scope, i got mine off the auction site for 99p, you need to have a close look at the trichomes on the buds, these are the mushroom looking crystals, when a plant is in early flower these are clear and look like clear ice, the plant is done when the tricsh are a cloudy or milky colour but if your looking for a more couch lock affect then wait until the trichs turn amber, i harvest mine at around 20 to 40% amber trichs,
so their is very little thc with clear trichs
thc is at its highest when the plant is 100% cloudy trichs
thc degrades into amber trichs which have higher cbn levels and this give you the heavy stone affect,

I think sometimes over watering can do this, but also I've noticed in my own experience that when a plant is almost done that it starts to finish off. My opinion is don't panic, other than the yellow leaves, it's beautiful and healthy. I say as long as it does'nt go south, and showing signs of any spreading problems.You've got maybe 2 weeks to go, you'll be blowing your own before you know it. Good luck, peace.

I appreciate your comments a lot, Bro. I will be patient for this next couple of weeks. Thanks a lot. Have a good one, R.:thumb:

Thanks for your comments, Man.

This is how she looks right now. I added some N, P and K, trying to help her a little:

little3.jpg

little22.jpg
little.jpg
trichomes03.jpg
trichomes02.jpg
trichomes01.jpg

Notice the trichomes. Mostly cloudy, but no amber yet.

Maybe I'll wait a bit longer, but I think she is in late flowering already.

What do you think?

Thanks again for your valuable input.

R.

Yeah! Thank you very much C.!

I'll keep checking on her. I'm just doing the nutes once a week.

Seems like she'll do it, certainly :;):

Thanks again. Peace, bro.:peace:

by the looks of it she is not far from done, it looks to me like trichomes are cloudy, this is when the thc as its its highest, but if you want a couch lock affect then wait till some turn amber,

just dont over do the nutes, plants late in flower do use up whats stored in the leaves so some leaves do turn yellow and most die if left in flower long enough, so go easy and remember if your not using organic nutes then you will need to stop using nutes for around 10 days or flush around 10 days before harvest, if your using organic nutes then a flush is not needed

Excellent, D.P. Thank you very much! :thumb:

I am using organic nutes, so no flush needed.

I started to notice some amber trichs today, so it's definitively on it's way out. Check them out (sorry pics are a bit blurry):

trichomes05.jpg
trichomes04.jpg

I knew from your previous post that the leaves were going to turn yellow anyways. It only looked to me that this was too early. I was hoping to give her two more weeks, but now I'm thinking one more week at the most. Still I will be checking on her through magnifying glass. I rather the higher THC level for a more "explosive" effect :;):

No more nutes for now. Maybe at the end of the week.

Thanks again for your comments!

R.

with that many amber trichs you could harvest now, the plant is done to me,
i harvest mine between 20 and 40% amber, id say yours looks around the 10% mark depending on where you look but this will vary at each bud site, just keep checking it as they turn amber pretty quick once they start turning amber, you can get another 10% amber within 24 hours, so just keep checking and harvest when you think the plant is good for you,

looks great, id say the nutes wasnt needed, plant looks ready to me, ive got one in flower now that has got a lot of yellow leaves, its nearly at harvest but pistils are still white so not sure whats going on with that one, but ill keep it going as long as i can, its all cloudy and around 5% amber, most fan leaves have died and just the bud leaves are left now but most are turning yellow at the ends and starting to die so ive not got long left on that but the pistils still look like its got a long way to go, but its the trichs we use to tell us when its ready, but ill leave it a few days and see what happens, the pistils lower down the plant are starting to shrivel up a bit and turn brown at the ends, but my plants growing in a different soil mix so im thinking its got to much N in it for flowering plants as ive not given nutes in about 2 weeks, i stop feeding when the trichs are nearly all cloudy as usually 2 weeks later im at 20 to 40% amber.

Great! I'll check her thoroughly the next couple of days. You're absolutely right, trichs get colour really fast. I didn't see those yesterday.

Good luck with yours. Throw some pics if you can!

Thanks again for your expertise!

R.

Hello Guys -

I am in a bit of a pickle. Basically, my brother started 4 plants in June or around then with bought seeds. It was grown with a store bought green "house" (outdoor cabinet type thing.) He was great with it and did good general 101 research. He even hand scraped his own bat guano for bat guano tea fertilizer, and tested phs.

Over time though, he started to neglect it as he became more and more busy with work and school and stuff like that. I was kind of against the idea of him growing, but when he abandoned it, forgetting to even water for days at a time, I began to feel sorry for the plant. I started by watering it. Then the plant looked so sad pining up against the roof of the green house when it got bigger. So I moved two outside ('outside', outside), only two because I didn't know what was best and I wanted to hedge my bets.

Then I saw how pitiful the soil in the pots looked, hard and dry. Eventually I decided to plant two, and a few days later take the ones in the green house and plant them as well. This is mid august.

I dug up some garden holes (clay type soil) and carefully transplanted. The soil would be so dry and hard at the end of each day, that was the time to easily slide them out.

They look good again. They have had a few yellow leaves which I plucked with my hands. They're about 4' tall.

But I'm worried because I don't see any signs of buds on the way and the first frost is average Oct. 1.

Help?

not good, it depends on the flowering time of that strain, some take up to 11 weeks form the first signs of flowers,

is it showing sex yet, do you have white hairs at the nodes, this tells you its female, if its lot of balls then its male, it should start flowering soon as your light schedule should be near to 12-12, if its sunrise and sunset at less than 13 hours of light then it should start flowering, if their to big to take indoors then you have no choice but to leave them outside,

the only real option would be to hope they flower before the frost sets in,failing that your going to need to build something to keep the frost off, plenty of clear plastic sheeting and build a a frame to support the sheets and let them finish under cover, the best option would be the green house, if you could get them back in their without damaging the roots then that would probably be a good idea,

if their to tall to go back in then you either need to build a shelter or hope they finish before the frost sets in, if it was me it would be the shelter option or back in the green house and top them so their not touching the roof, or you could tie string round the tops of the plans and pull the top over to stop it growing upwards

with that many amber trichs you could harvest now, the plant is done to me,
i harvest mine between 20 and 40% amber, id say yours looks around the 10% mark depending on where you look but this will vary at each bud site, just keep checking it as they turn amber pretty quick once they start turning amber, you can get another 10% amber within 24 hours, so just keep checking and harvest when you think the plant is good for you,

looks great, id say the nutes wasnt needed, plant looks ready to me, ive got one in flower now that has got a lot of yellow leaves, its nearly at harvest but pistils are still white so not sure whats going on with that one, but ill keep it going as long as i can, its all cloudy and around 5% amber, most fan leaves have died and just the bud leaves are left now but most are turning yellow at the ends and starting to die so ive not got long left on that but the pistils still look like its got a long way to go, but its the trichs we use to tell us when its ready, but ill leave it a few days and see what happens, the pistils lower down the plant are starting to shrivel up a bit and turn brown at the ends, but my plants growing in a different soil mix so im thinking its got to much N in it for flowering plants as ive not given nutes in about 2 weeks, i stop feeding when the trichs are nearly all cloudy as usually 2 weeks later im at 20 to 40% amber.

My dear DP,

Mine is almost done, as well. As you can see, fan leaves are almost gone.

sept5_02.jpg

I'm still checking trichomes every day, and I see some pistils are far from done, still white and full with milky/clear trichs:

sept5_06.jpg

The top buds have close to 30% amber trichs:

sept5_07.jpg

I'm still gonna hold on to this the most I can. I think whenever the still-white pistils finally turn brown, or maybe when I see the brown pistils turn completely brown on the top I'll harvest it.

Crystals look great, and I think there's just one more week left:

sept5_04.jpg
sept5_03.jpg

Pistils are mixed al over the buds:

sept5_05.jpg

But it's almost done. Maybe this looks a bit like yours. What about those pics? hehehe.

Check this out, the oldest baby after the one we've been writing about. Shes about 3 weeks into flowering:

sept5_01.jpg

I'm curious about the fact that some pistils are not mature yet. But, as you said. I'm following trichomes color.

Thanks for the comments and advice. I hope we can check some of your plant's pics soon.

Peace, R,

not good, it depends on the flowering time of that strain, some take up to 11 weeks form the first signs of flowers,

is it showing sex yet, do you have white hairs at the nodes, this tells you its female, if its lot of balls then its male, it should start flowering soon as your light schedule should be near to 12-12, if its sunrise and sunset at less than 13 hours of light then it should start flowering, if their to big to take indoors then you have no choice but to leave them outside,

the only real option would be to hope they flower before the frost sets in,failing that your going to need to build something to keep the frost off, plenty of clear plastic sheeting and build a a frame to support the sheets and let them finish under cover, the best option would be the green house, if you could get them back in their without damaging the roots then that would probably be a good idea,

if their to tall to go back in then you either need to build a shelter or hope they finish before the frost sets in, if it was me it would be the shelter option or back in the green house and top them so their not touching the roof, or you could tie string round the tops of the plans and pull the top over to stop it growing upwards

Hmm ok thanks, so

The plants are short enough to fit in the old green house. They were grown originally on the first shelf level, with the stated goal of avoiding ground pests. If they had been on the ground level they would have had room.

Now though, the plants are burrowed into the ground, and I expect their roots have expanded a bit. In my less qualified opinion, I would say its not safe to dig them up and repot.

What I could do is drop the green house over top one of the plants. They are too spread apart in the garden to get the tent over all of them or even 2 of them.

That green house is canvassed by a sort of green-.5"-squares mesh, filled all in by an opaque/clear plastic. I have two others like it, but with clear plastic. So I could drop those over two more plants.

Finally, I have scrap wood and unused paint tarp that seems a lot like what farmers use on their 'tunnels' to kick start the season early.

So I have 2 or 3 questions if you would.

1. What counts as light? If the light shines through a cloud, does that affect the 'timer' for how much light it gets each day?::If it shines through the more-light-blocking green house I described above...? As a last example, if the house blocks out direct sunlight from dawn till 8:30 or so, does that shorten its biological day?

2. How much can I expect the green-house to shield the cold? Perhaps I'll take your word that it would save the plant from 32F or 0C. Am I lost at, say, 25 degrees?

3. Now is the time for lots of food, right?

regards

Guys Can some one email me im not sure if its frwned upon to email but i need some one to tellme if my girls are really guys ? please help Luis.vuitton.vera at Gmail

HELlllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllp :(

girl vs guys,
girls have white hairs at the nodes, you should see a small ball with 2 white hairs coming out of it, this is a female, a male has like bunches of grapes at the nodes (nodes is where the stems come off the main branch or side branches), males will have like little bunches of grapes and these are the male pollen sacs, females have white pistils or hairs at the nodes and when it starts budding it will have white hairs at the ends of each branch and main stem,

if you cant see either of these then the plant is not mature enough to show sex, some females produce the round ball before it grows the white hairs so make sure its male before you kill it, let it stay in flower until you can clearly tell its male or female.

@Rofloki, the plant is actually done when its 100% cloudy, thc is at its highest when all trichs are cloudy, we let them turn amber as this gives us a more couch lock affect, i usually harvest mine around 20 to 40% amber trichs, the rest are cloudy and the odd clear trich, so anything past 100% cloudy you can harvest, but i prefer the couch lock affect as i use my meds to help with pain and sleeping, but you certainly got a nice plant thats not far from harvest.

@testing cbd, your name interests me, are you working with cbd strains or planning to work with cbd strains, theirs a couple of growers on here who are producing strains that produce no thc and only produce cbd,
now to answer your questions,
1, the plant gets light from sun rise to sun set, if its cloudy it just gets less light, it has to be dark for the plant to get its night period, so if you check your sunrise and sunset times that will tell you when its getting light and when its not getting light, most outdoor plants dont get direct sunlight for more than a couple of hours a day, so a cloudy day is still giving the plants light just at a lower level, so if the suns up its getting light,
2, plants can weather quite well as long as their hardened to the weather, some growers keep plants in veg over the winter by having lights in the green house, so the greenhouse will be the best option for you getting these plants into flower without having pm issues, you may end up with purple buds due to outdoor been cooler as a lot of growers are seeing purple buds around this time of year and over the next month and 2 as plants get ready for harvest, it all depends where you are and how low the temps are going to get and how long you have left before you hit winter, but im pretty sure the green house would be the best option if you think outdoor temps are going to get pretty cold, the thing you dont want is a good frost as this will pretty much destroy the plant after a couple of frosty nights, so the greenhouse would keep the frost off and the plants should flower as normal.

3, when growing in the ground it depends whats in the ground all ready, if you got good composted ground then you may not need nothing, but most growers supliment with nutrients to get the best out of the plant, you would use a veg feed for the veg stage and a flower feed for the flower stage, fruit and veg nutrients are a bit hot for these plants so if you go with off the shelf products then start at 1/5th of the stated dose, make sure the nutrients are for edible plants, or check out our sponsors and get some products that are designed for these plants and proven to work, if you look below in my signature you will see a nutrient feed guide link, clicking on this will give you a list of products and tells you what doses you would normally be giving the plants at each stage of growth

Back
Top Bottom