Bug problem! Leaf diagnosis?

Gree N

Pretty pissed off :( not sure what I should do!!
420-magazine-mobile1203367974.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1502330118.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1022074009.jpg

Better pictures would be nice but looks like spider mites may be your issue .. SNS 209 works well for me ..Watch what you do because you can burn the leaves if you use the wrong thing or too much of a product. That is why we use the SNS 209 ..

Looks like spider mites. I've never had em so I can't give you good advice. Especially since you're in flower.

Yeah spider mites. They're horrible. I battled them for a couple years and tried almost everything. Many many cleaning sessions and bleaching and painting the whole grow. I went through a bunch of different pesticide which didn't work. I shut the grow down completely for six months and sterilized and painted everything. They were back as soon as I started up again.
In the end what worked for me was a product called Mite-rid. At the time I had to order it from Australia. I also figured out that the mites were in my greenhouse and house plants. Once I treated all of them I solved the problem.
What you need is a systemic pesticide. Which means a pesticide that is absorbed into the plant and then turns it poisonous to the mites. They'll keep feeding off it and dying, and in this way you can wipe out all the new hatchlings.
One time treatments kill the mites just fine. But even if you kill all the adults (unlikely) you can never kill all the eggs. They keep hatching out every few days and you can never do more than beat their numbers down.

My situation is good in that mites don't live in the wild here. I got them on some clones I was given. Once I got rid of them- they were gone for good.
Most people aren't so lucky and may be continually reinfesting their grow from their backward or their houesplants.

Re: Bug problem!! Leaf diagnosis?

Yeah the key ingredient is neem oil. Although it does contain plenty of other things as well- I'm not sure how big a difference they make though. All I can say is that the Mite-rid did the job when everything else failed. Neem should probably do it. You just have to be very diligent and spray any possible infested plants around your area. Don't spray buds though- just the leaves.
Read the directions and reapply after a couple (three?) weeks. I sprayed a third time a couple weeks after that just to be sure.

The active constituent in RID -MITE seems to be azadirachtin
Azadirachtin

This is the ingredient found in eco-neem.
ECO Organic Garden

Oh yeah I remember now. It's been several years since I had the mites.
In their Mite-Rid spiel they said it was a refined concentrate of the active ingredient in neem. I've never tried actual neem oil. Someone tried to convince me that it was the main ingredient in Mite-Rid and I guess I believed them. Seen plenty of neem trees- we used to use the twigs to brush our teeth with- but other than I don't have experience with it. It's true that I've seen people on this forum use neem and still not solve their problems. So Mite-Rid may be more effective.
At any rate it absolutely eradicated my mites, after two years of hell.
My understanding is that neem is also a systemic. But as you can tell my knowledge of the stuff is a little bit thin.

Oh yeah I remember now. It's been several years since I had the mites.
In their Mite-Rid spiel they said it was a refined concentrate of the active ingredient in neem. I've never tried actual neem oil. Someone tried to convince me that it was the main ingredient in Mite-Rid and I guess I believed them. Seen plenty of neem trees- we used to use the twigs to brush our teeth with- but other than I don't have experience with it. It's true that I've seen people on this forum use neem and still not solve their problems. So Mite-Rid may be more effective.
At any rate it absolutely eradicated my mites, after two years of hell.
My understanding is that neem is also a systemic. But as you can tell my knowledge of the stuff is a little bit thin.

They did have two different products so I think Eco-neem is a slightly different product to neem-oil which they also sold and was a lot cheap 500ml for $15 opposed to eco-neem $22 for 50ml

They'll be happier out there. Probably better light, and the mites may not like it outdoors so much. Don't be surprised if they show up next time you try to grow in your dungeon though. They can lie dormant for ages.

Only systemics really work, everything else just "controls" mites. Fuck neem oil, it doesn't work. And fuck trying to control them. It's W A R, soldier!
Grab a vial of Floramite SC on eBay. Or buy a $100 bottle, your call. Mites are a bitch, and trying to control but not eliminate them never ever ends well.

Did you emulsify your neem oil? What kind was it?

Most important thing about using neem oil is mixing it into soap until it is a milky white substance.

Did you emulsify your neem oil? What kind was it?

Most important thing about using neem oil is mixing it into soap until it is a milky white substance.

Um...

Only systemics really work, everything else just "controls" mites. Fuck neem oil, it doesn't work. And fuck trying to control them. It's W A R, soldier!
Grab a vial of Floramite SC on eBay. Or buy a $100 bottle, your call. Mites are a bitch, and trying to control but not eliminate them never ever ends well.

A little quick and shallow digging on the internet seems to show about an even divide between people saying neem is a systemic and other people saying it is not. Mite-rid does seem to be a systemic, and it certainly seemed to act as one when I used it. In any case- a systemic of some sort is absolutely what you will want if you have to face those bastards again. Honestly, I don't know how you got them in the first place- but do whatever you possibly can to not get them again.

No, neem isn't systemic.

Reasoning?
I think everyone is getting caught up on the "neem" part of this. This product ECO-NEEM is not "neem oil", its active ingredient is azdarachtin.
Thanks for the feedback guys, after the first treatment there is no sign of mites anymore and one day later the leaves already look to be repaired :D

Reasoning?
I think everyone is getting caught up on the "neem" part of this. This product ECO-NEEM is not "neem oil", its active ingredient is azdarachtin.
Thanks for the feedback guys, after the first treatment there is no sign of mites anymore and one day later the leaves already look to be repaired :D

"Neem oil is a vegetable oil pressed from the fruits and seeds of the neem (Azadirachta indica), an evergreen tree which is endemic to the Indian subcontinent and has been introduced to many other areas in the tropics. It is the most important of the commercially available products of neem for organic farming and medicines.

Neem oil varies in color; it can be golden yellow, yellowish brown, reddish brown, dark brown, greenish brown, or bright red. It has a rather strong odor that is said to combine the odours of peanut and garlic. It is composed mainly of triglycerides and contains many triterpenoid compounds, which are responsible for the bitter taste. It is hydrophobic in nature; in order to emulsify it in water for application purposes, it is formulated with surfactants.

Azadirachtin is the most well known and studied triterpenoid in neem oil. The azadirachtin content of neem oil varies from 300ppm to over 2500ppm depending on the extraction technology and quality of the neem seeds crushed. Nimbin is another triterpenoid which has been credited with some of neem oil's properties as an antiseptic, antifungal, antipyretic and antihistamine.[1] Neem oil also contains several sterols, including (campesterol, beta-sitosterol, stigmasterol).

Formulations made of neem oil also find wide usage as a biopesticide for organic farming, as it repels a wide variety of pests including the mealy bug, beet armyworm, aphids, the cabbage worm, thrips, whiteflies, mites, fungus gnats, beetles, moth larvae, mushroom flies, leafminers, caterpillars, locust, nematodes and the Japanese beetle.[4][5] Neem oil is not known to be harmful to mammals, birds, earthworms or some beneficial insects such as butterflies, honeybees and ladybirds (ladybugs in US English) if it is not concentrated directly into their area of habitat or on their food source. It can be used as a household pesticide for ant, bedbug, cockroach, housefly, sand fly, snail, termite and mosquitoes both as repellent and larvicide.[2] Neem oil also controls black spot, powdery mildew, anthracnose and rust fungi.

In the UK, pesticides that contain Azadirachtin and/or neem oil are banned.

- Wikipedia

Neem isn't systemic, it's a topical.
And you just controlled the mites, not eradicated them. Meaning: When eggs hatch, shortly, you'll be back to Ground Zero again.

Back
Top Bottom