Building a grow room advice

Thank you all for the input! I’ve done some asking around, I found out when we built our house 20 years ago we already have a power line ran underground which has enough power to run 10 homes. So I’d imagine putting a pole up and going straight to the source is going to be the way to go for this building. There are still a few building design ideas/layouts in the works so once that gets finalized I can put a better thought into everything else. My electrician buddies will be over on Saturday so I’ll plant the seed in their head so they can start to figure out the electrical side. A case of beer and a couple joints I’m sure they’ll be more than willing to help out :rofl:

Thank you all for the input! I’ve done some asking around, I found out when we built our house 20 years ago we already have a power line ran underground which has enough power to run 10 homes. So I’d imagine putting a pole up and going straight to the source is going to be the way to go for this building. There are still a few building design ideas/layouts in the works so once that gets finalized I can put a better thought into everything else. My electrician buddies will be over on Saturday so I’ll plant the seed in their head so they can start to figure out the electrical side. A case of beer and a couple joints I’m sure they’ll be more than willing to help out :rofl:
I'd get that & possibly some near by plumbing (even a shop sink outside the building) for mixing nutes & Clean Ups.
Doing the actual building is the easy part. But making sure you have it all planned correctly before you start is most important. Sucks to tear something out because you forgot something.

I'd get that & possibly some near by plumbing (even a shop sink outside the building) for mixing nutes & Clean Ups.
Doing the actual building is the easy part. But making sure you have it all planned correctly before you start is most important. Sucks to tear something out because you forgot something.
Oh yes I didn’t mean we would start building before all planning was done. The decision we’re trying to make now is; we are building a barn at the same time, what we can’t decide is to attach it to the barn to allow for more room for a shower room/change/disinfecting room and a bit larger of a veg room. Also with attaching it to the barn it leaves room for future expansion. Or to leave it as a completely separate building. As of right now we will be incorporating it into the barn. So like I had said this all still very early talks just brainstorming getting every little piece of the puzzle thought out before going ahead with any ground breaking (which has to wait until spring time anyways)

if not part of the main house are you heating ?

making a provision for having running water and a drain of some sort is gonna be a need. i know folk who didn't make provision for running water that wound up building a heated shed to house water tanks. mucho more expensive and labour intensive.

if not part of the main house are you heating ?

making a provision for having running water and a drain of some sort is gonna be a need. i know folk who didn't make provision for running water that wound up building a heated shed to house water tanks. mucho more expensive and labour intensive.
I’ve been thinking of doing a completely sealed grow room where I would have to worry about cooling only. The heat from all the lights will be enough to heat everything up. But now that it’s being attached to the barn I would believe it’ll be heated anyways as I will be having a living quarters above the grow room.
One thing I do know, is because of location and zoning laws and bunch of unnecessary bullshit, we are not allowed to have city plumbing to the barn. Not a big deal we will still have running water it will just be off large reservoirs instead of city water. I can get essentially an unlimited amount of 1041L reservoir containers for free. Now that we will be attaching it to the barn drainage will not be an issue. I’m putting a couple car hoists in there so I’ll need a drainage system for that which will just get extended to the grow room.

I’ve been thinking of doing a completely sealed grow room where I would have to worry about cooling only. The heat from all the lights will be enough to heat everything up. But now that it’s being attached to the barn I would believe it’ll be heated anyways as I will be having a living quarters above the grow room.
One thing I do know, is because of location and zoning laws and bunch of unnecessary bullshit, we are not allowed to have city plumbing to the barn. Not a big deal we will still have running water it will just be off large reservoirs instead of city water. I can get essentially an unlimited amount of 1041L reservoir containers for free. Now that we will be attaching it to the barn drainage will not be an issue. I’m putting a couple car hoists in there so I’ll need a drainage system for that which will just get extended to the grow room.

sounds mostly good.

heating with lights in canada is the old school solution. it worked way better when everyone ran hid. led is now the way to go and it runs much much cooler and insanely more efficient. you could run hid, but take a mortgage for the power bill in a run that size.

i run led in my veg room, an old cool storage room in the main house, a much smaller space that is heat challenged. it's insulated, and there is a heat vent from the furnace, but i still run a small electric heater in there to hit optimum temps.

you won't need piles of heat. just the option of availability if needed.

sounds mostly good.

heating with lights in canada is the old school solution. it worked way better when everyone ran hid. led is now the way to go and it runs much much cooler and insanely more efficient. you could run hid, but take a mortgage for the power bill in a run that size.

i run led in my veg room, an old cool storage room in the main house, a much smaller space that is heat challenged. it's insulated, and there is a heat vent from the furnace, but i still run a small electric heater in there to hit optimum temps.

you won't need piles of heat. just the option of availability if needed.
So still do a sealed room where majority of the time I’d worry about cooling but come winter months have a decently size electrical space heater to ensure temps stay optimal?
With the room being incorporated into the barn now I’m pretty sure we’d be adding in a furnace so I’m sure it won’t be necessary to add the space heater correct?

if you have a furnace then just heat the place. doesn't have to be extensive. same as a normal. maybe less.

the main issue is you are gonna move a lot of air in a grow that size. more to manage odour, and provide ventilation, which plants depend on for survival. that will also displace a fair amount of heat. can't be avoided. even if you don't have to contend with odour, you still need to supply plant needs for air exchange.

minimum rule of thumb is you want to exchange air in a grow space every 5 min or less. all my spaces exchange air every two minutes or less. even when i did bigger grows.

you can't hermetically seal shit up. too many variables and way too expensive on the control side. what you want to do is manage the environment god gave you to it's maximum potential.

don't over think. just stick with basic stuff and basic equipment. there's no need to get real expensive.

a good tip for a dedicated space is to add vapour barrier (plastic sheeting) if you are gonna drywall. it will avoid loads of trouble over time and is easy to do at installation.

if you have a furnace then just heat the place. doesn't have to be extensive. same as a normal. maybe less.

the main issue is you are gonna move a lot of air in a grow that size. more to manage odour, and provide ventilation, which plants depend on for survival. that will also displace a fair amount of heat. can't be avoided. even if you don't have to contend with odour, you still need to supply plant needs for air exchange.

minimum rule of thumb is you want to exchange air in a grow space every 5 min or less. all my spaces exchange air every two minutes or less. even when i did bigger grows.

you can't hermetically seal shit up. too many variables and way too expensive on the control side. what you want to do is manage the environment god gave you to it's maximum potential.

don't over think. just stick with basic stuff and basic equipment. there's no need to get real expensive.
My thoughts on doing a sealed environment is for pest control. Just to the fact I’m surrounded by green and lots of critters I figure doing the sealed system would lessen the chance of infestations.
My thought for the room would be running an air purifier to recycle/clean the air in the room and running a co2 controller to keep co2 levels up. I got lots of maths to do but I figure I’d be running at least a 3 ton a/c unit and probably around a 200-250L/day dehumidifier just for the flower room. Again I have to do the math to see what would actually be needed but I have a rough idea of how expensive it will become. Money isn’t really an option as I have 2 partners involved in this as well. Our main goal is to build this right where expansion will come at an ease

My thoughts on doing a sealed environment is for pest control. Just to the fact I’m surrounded by green and lots of critters I figure doing the sealed system would lessen the chance of infestations.
My thought for the room would be running an air purifier to recycle/clean the air in the room and running a co2 controller to keep co2 levels up. I got lots of maths to do but I figure I’d be running at least a 3 ton a/c unit and probably around a 200-250L/day dehumidifier just for the flower room. Again I have to do the math to see what would actually be needed but I have a rough idea of how expensive it will become. Money isn’t really an option as I have 2 partners involved in this as well. Our main goal is to build this right where expansion will come at an ease

see above comments re : over think. ... :cheesygrinsmiley:

don't invest your life savings. this won't be a business no matter what you think if that's where you're leaning.

get a simple dry warm clean space with proper ventilation set up and learn the plant first. right now the cart is pushing the horse.

as far as pests. grow on the moon. you'll still get mites. unavoidable. :bongrip:

That's the way to do it. Sounds like you are in a good place with the electric.

I had two 20A beakers installed. I had to turn all the lights off and put boxes in front of the grow rooms to hide them.
I wish I had a friendly plumber and electrician. Two things I don't feel comfortable doing.

Hey everyone, I am ACMPR license and legally allowed to grow 49 plants indoors. I have been using tents for a few harvests but an opportunity has risen to be able to build a fairly large grow room (20’x20’). I’d say I’m a moderate knowledge grower so I know the requirements needed for the room, but my question is, does any one have an experience in building? What are issues that I should look out for? Essentially I want to build this once and build it right. Just looking for insight to make sure I do it all properly.
As of right now my idea would be to section off maybe a 10x5 area for vegging room and have the rest as a flowering room that’s about as much thought as I’ve put into it. Building wouldn’t start until spring so I have lots of time to put into proper planning
I can send you the prints for something like this I’ve built it’s cheap and well built
5E4E0A51-D065-4F15-A4D9-324FF26CC069.jpeg
3CFEA349-9D91-49DD-AC9D-5FF4BF2CAC26.jpeg
88CDC657-1C2C-4E02-B4C5-837B76A774D2.jpeg
01E95B3C-902B-4B7A-88F9-3E7D9984B8B0.jpeg
1415915B-5E89-46FB-9CD3-4C33BDAFB6D4.jpeg
D590B7DD-10A4-4504-96E0-398B23FA952F.jpeg

i understand critters will come in with us that’s why we’d be implementing a showering/change room policy to limit the chance of one of us bringing something inside as well.
as far as learning the plant, 2/3 of us have many years involved in grows, that’s why we feel now is a good chance to go a bit larger scale. I’m obviously leaving a lot of details out just to keep things more anonymous and other things, but we do plan on making this MC licensable as well. Hence the nit picking of certain aspects.

see above comments re : over think. ... :cheesygrinsmiley:

don't invest your life savings. this won't be a business no matter what you think if that's where you're leaning.

get a simple dry warm clean space with proper ventilation set up and learn the plant first. right now the cart is pushing the horse.

as far as pests. grow on the moon. you'll still get mites. unavoidable. :bongrip:
Knock on wood maybe my location 3 years no mites, although my chickens have them don't think they are the same, anyways bluter u still run the system you gave me the schematics for?

Back
Top Bottom