Burping jars debate!

theagentman

My fellow grower and I have a difference of opinion when it comes to the curing process. My fellow grower believes that you should just open the jar for a few seconds and then close it once a day until it's ready to be smoked. I think you should rotate the jar a few times to move the buds around, so that the buds on the bottom get some air while the lid is open. His argument is that the buds are delicate and shouldn't be moved that often. I understand that, so when I rotate the jars, I do it gently. Please let me know which technique is proper. Maybe we both have it wrong.

Re: Burping jars debate!?!

i open the jars may be a couple min a day
im001771.181024

Re: Burping jars debate!?!

You are right. They need to air out about 15-30 min 2xs a day and i use chopsticks to move the bottom buds to the top.
Never had an issue with this and all is will after 4 cycles.

Always just opened them 20 min, top dries out, pulls moisture from the bottom.
Depends alot on the original wetness of the buds.
More water/dampness = more air time.
Ive seen grown men almost cry after they open the jar for the first time and get to look at the awesome bud, they had.

'Wow, that looks like mold to me, bro!" (insert crying here)

Yeah i always do it like breakfast/lunch/dinner. I open my jars for about 10 - 15 depending on how full when i get up, when i get home, and before bed. Opening for a few seconds just isnt enough time to affect much of anything in the jar, especially if only once a day

i open it,,, and roll it so a bit of fresh air hits all the buds... then close it... so i guess i'm like you,,,,, go team!

I cure a little differently, I have always been happy with the cure and have never gotten mold or had the buds dry out. I have also stored jars for 9+ months without issue.
What I do is for first 5 days in jar I open jar and fan it with a peice if cardboard. then I shake around a bit and fan again. If the jar is a little tight I use a chopstick to fluff up the jar a bit then fan again. This takes me about 1-2 mins and I do this twwice a day for the 5 days. Then after the first 5 days I only open once a day and fan. After that I open once a week or so and check.
Tip, do not blow into your jars! The mouth is a filthy thing and your breath contains alot of moisture witch can cause mold.

Jonny

Not sure what is the best method but I have always
opened and removed the contents to a trim tray for
5 or 10 minutes and then back into jar for the first week
or 2 depending on how they look. after that I just open
for 5 to 10 for another week or 2 then maybe once a week

I also use the Boveda 62% Pack in each jar and only fill
jars 3/4 full

I usually feel the buds when I open the jars... if the outsides are dry and crispy but I can feel "water weight" inside the bud, then I close the jars until the outsides of the bud become slightly moist, and less brittle/dry. Once the buds get slightly moist on the outsides I will open the jars and I keep the jars open until the buds outsides get dry again, which can be anywhere from 1/2 hour to multiple hours if they were jarred early or retained a lot of moisture from drying to jarring. As the buds lose their moisture even more, as it is pulled from deeper within the bud out, the duration that the jars are left open decreases significantly, as well as the frequency of opening/closing. Usually the first few days I burp multiple times a day but by the end of the first week I may only need to burp 1x per day or even once every other day.

This seems to work fairly well for me.

I do carefully swirl the jars/ or tip them upside down and back a few times if I notice the buds are clumped together which usually happens when they are fairly moist, however if the buds have a lot of space between them and aren't mushed together or clumped, then I just leave them alone.

I'm still working on my method as well, but this seems to make for a very smooth, and tasty cure.

Back
Top Bottom