Buysser's Very First Grow - Mars II 1600 Watt Attic Grow Using Growology

One overlooked detail. How much heat does the might throw off. This big light in a small room with lots of reflection is kicking my a**. Plants are just now showing signs of heat stress but haven't given up.

Dude, ventilation is your key here. You cannot struggle through a grow with heat stress. The girls don't like it and you don't like it either. Sort it out as soon as you can. Could you get a cheap bathroom extractor and hang it directly above the light where it's only job is to deal with the light heat?

Dude, ventilation is your key here. You cannot struggle through a grow with heat stress. The girls don't like it and you don't like it either. Sort it out as soon as you can. Could you get a cheap bathroom extractor and hang it directly above the light where it's only job is to deal with the light heat?

Thanks Med... I've been messing with intake and exhaust with the ac unit to no avail.... Came home during lunch and set a piece of duct on top of the main fan on LED and put a small fan on top of that shooting all air to my exhaust fan so time will tell but it seems to make perfect sense..
There napping now so fan is off with light timer but tonight I can measure it really close cause I love spending time up there... Med, I'm willing to try anything to get that room in check so I can move on with the growing plan. I haven't scrubed this grow but more looking forward to corrections and the next grow.. I did check the lights before I planted seeds but I thought the ac unit could keep up with the extra heat but it turns out it can't and the next investment is a really expensive mini split.. That has to come later when I dial the room to exactly what I want - in time....
Thanks for the input and I'll be sure to let you know when (hopeful) it works...

You seem to have the desire to sort it out quickly which is great. These things are not for lingering. The a/c is good if a room is hot and you want it cold or cooler but the trouble you got is it's not a set temperature and you want it down, it's constantly getting hotter which is where the a/c will not be up to it i'm afraid. Concentrate your extraction as close to the light as you can.

Hopefully one day an LED company will create a vented hood because these lights are only going to get stronger and brighter which we know means more heat.

You seem to have the desire to sort it out quickly which is great. These things are not for lingering. The a/c is good if a room is hot and you want it cold or cooler but the trouble you got is it's not a set temperature and you want it down, it's constantly getting hotter which is where the a/c will not be up to it i'm afraid. Concentrate your extraction as close to the light as you can.

Hopefully one day an LED company will create a vented hood because these lights are only going to get stronger and brighter which we know means more heat.

Thanks med I've been working at it every night for an hour or two doing what I could figure out to do.
I think I'm going to try and set that six inch ducting is close to exhaust as I can with a fan pushing it up and out.
I got to get this bad boy figured out. I'm having too much fun

I hope you get your heat issues sorted buddy, my two Mars 400's kick out a bit of heat so I can imagine what a 1600 is like. My suggestion is to have a fan slightly below the light, blowing the heat up to your exhaust fan to draw the heat out :)

I hope you get your heat issues sorted buddy, my two Mars 400's kick out a bit of heat so I can imagine what a 1600 is like. My suggestion is to have a fan slightly below the light, blowing the heat up to your exhaust fan to draw the heat out :)

Hey Skunny.. Sorry about the delay but I was called to jury duty and that went 4 days... Not sure what you mean by slightly below the light..?? Meaning between light and plants? Trying an apparatus I made to blow heat directly to exhaust vent. I can see it's going to be a tweeking process for a bit.. SO wanted to nail it the first time... Heat is reasonably under control for now..
Here are the latest pics.. Largest plant is ripper toxic which is 9" tall and growing limbs.. Smallest is also ripper coming in at 5". She's been slow all her life.. Only issue now are a few brown tips coming on just a few new leafs and some yellowing of lower leaves... I backed off on nutes and that helped that.
Or it could be residual from too much heat.. It was hot in there whew..
ANYWAY.. I got me some plants that are actually looking like what I think they should look like - maybe sorta... :party:

20140912_193929.jpg
20140912_193923.jpg
20140912_193920.jpg
20140912_193914.jpg
20140912_193911.jpg

Buysser, are your pics from a phone or proper camera? If a phone, have you tried turning the phone sidewards to get proper upright pictures? If a camera, have you tried turning them on a pc photo program?

I don't wish to be patronising but we would like to see you pictures the correct way up. If you need any advice on this please ask.

When you've got super huge plants with giant nugs on mate, it will make it difficult to see them in their full glory if we have to tilt our heads.

Buysser, are your pics from a phone or proper camera? If a phone, have you tried turning the phone sidewards to get proper upright pictures? If a camera, have you tried turning them on a pc photo program?

I don't wish to be patronising but we would like to see you pictures the correct way up. If you need any advice on this please ask.

When you've got super huge plants with giant nugs on mate, it will make it difficult to see them in their full glory if we have to tilt our heads.

Don't worry about that patronizing stuff Med, it's all helpful suggestions in my world. I noticed the pics too late always then to lazy to go back up and take a decent picture. I'll flip the phone and try a few for samples....
Thanks again Med, I'm all ears all the time... I am going to get this mastered..
:ganjamon:

Another first... My first attempt at attempting to take decent pictures.. See what you all think.
I think the plants are doing reasonably well. There's a few tips brown here and there and a leaf or two on the bottom that is about to fall off but overall, the new growth is coming in quite nice. There all at 10" except one of the rippers that has been lagging behind since day one. Always about half.. Call her half pint.
Thanks as always.. I appreciate it..
20140917_103815.jpg

Skunk Haze regular.. Little more spinly and both have a tendency to droop a bit
20140917_103729.jpg

Royal Queen critical Fem.. Not an aggresive grower but doing ok.
20140917_103715.jpg

The other skunk haze. Pretty much a clone to the first one.. Little spinny and they both droop together
20140917_103643.jpg

Half Pint.. Ripper Toxic Fem.. She's been small since day one. Never kept up with her older sister
20140917_103616.jpg

Second ripper toxic FEM. Always been the hardeist. Survived all my newbie mistakes and doing well.

Watching steady growth and determining water patterns and nutes. I'm taking it easy on the growology.. Once with half strength, once with nothing and once more with half strength then I think I'll go to full strength from here on out. Being gentile with them, they had a rough start..

I really want to start training them for a net I made but l think they have to be in the final destination for pots before scrog right? Can't see transplanting when there tied up in net... Darn...

I think next time I'll wait a bit longer under T5's then go right to 5 gallons.

Temps are doing well. It cooled off around here and I'm using as much of that cool air to help with ac.. Managing to keep it maintained I think..
Thanks again
b

Looking good my friend, are your droopy leaves down to over-watering perhaps? Are you allowing your medium to dry a little between waterings? Oh & have you voted in the monthly competitions yet? I've been nominated for Member of the month :)

It seems like that might be a symptom but I actually backed off the water this last time. I just put in two solo cups after a 5 day break from the last water which was only 3 solo cups and they still droop. Maybe less water next time...? Figure I'm going to watch them closer each day.. Puzzling it is.

Got my vote in my friend.. You deserve it.

How do you gauge when to water them? I find the best way to tell when to water is by lifting the pot & only water when it feels light. If you're not allowing it to dry out enough between waterings this would explain the droopiness. You will aid root growth by allowing your soil to dry too, as they go hunting for water :)

Thanks for the vote buddy :thumb:

Another way to check is stick your finger in the soil, you need it to be dry in the top couple of inches before you water. It'll stop you getting fungus gnats & other nasties too :)

Back
Top Bottom