C99, C99xDiesel, White Rhino DWC Medi-Grow - 2010!

thanks for visitin my grow :eek:) well done! looks good I'm jelous of your setup! however I had to comment about boobs. I happen to have small boobs and they still get attention :eek:P though this isn't fair cause your "small boobs" got rather big an nice all of a sudden LOL

Hello, thanks for the encouragement everyone, but I have a quick question.

My c99 is really hungry for Mg, the higher leaves margins have begun pointing upwards in the commonly known "praying for magnesium" and I've read up that this specific strain wants tons.

Anyway, I have been using CalMag Plus at 10 ml for 20L of water (under the suggested rate, but I have no TDS pen so I try not to run my nutes too hot, I'm broke)
Considering I run low nutes, I usually have to catch deficiencies quickly and react fast.

The problem hasn't solved itself and my pH has been in the acceptable ranges so it's probably not that.

I have some epsom salts (Magnesium Sulfate), does anyone know what quantity equates to approx. ppm, or how much I should use?

Or should I just throw more CalMag in there, they don't seem to need the cal/iron/N and it'd be so much more ppm for nothing.

I just don't want to burn em and their roots take up so much of the res volume that when they drink hard, the salt concentration rises dangerously. (I have a bit of tip-burn all over Diesel C99 which I assume was because I let her res get too low)

Anyway, I'll try to get some pics later tonight , they're looking great except for the Mg issue. Hopefully I can get some advice so I can fix this quick, meanwhile I'll be reading up on it :p

Hello, thanks for the encouragement everyone, but I have a quick question.

My c99 is really hungry for Mg, the higher leaves margins have begun pointing upwards in the commonly known "praying for magnesium" and I've read up that this specific strain wants tons.

Anyway, I have been using CalMag Plus at 10 ml for 20L of water (under the suggested rate, but I have no TDS pen so I try not to run my nutes too hot, I'm broke)
Considering I run low nutes, I usually have to catch deficiencies quickly and react fast.

The problem hasn't solved itself and my pH has been in the acceptable ranges so it's probably not that.

I have some epsom salts (Magnesium Sulfate), does anyone know what quantity equates to approx. ppm, or how much I should use?

Or should I just throw more CalMag in there, they don't seem to need the cal/iron/N and it'd be so much more ppm for nothing.

I just don't want to burn em and their roots take up so much of the res volume that when they drink hard, the salt concentration rises dangerously. (I have a bit of tip-burn all over Diesel C99 which I assume was because I let her res get too low)

Anyway, I'll try to get some pics later tonight , they're looking great except for the Mg issue. Hopefully I can get some advice so I can fix this quick, meanwhile I'll be reading up on it :p

Hey Afka. I calculated that 1.25g (probably about 1/4 tsp or so) of epsom salts (magnesium sulfate heptahydrate) dissolved in a gallon of pure water should probably raise ppm by about 160ppm, max. Can someone check my calculations? Earlier in my grow, I put half that amount, 0.625g (about 1/8 tsp I think, but better to use a scale if you have one), in a gallon of water and got a 70-80ppm increase, pretty much as expected. I don't know much about hydro though, and I'm not sure what constitutes an optimal dose of magnesium, so it's probably better to consult the experts as I'm still just on my second grow. There's a wealth of knowledge out there though. ooh, better recheck pH too.

Awesome, awesome plants man.

Good luck.
:goodjob:

Thanks for the advice, it matched up with my research so I felt rather comfortable with the dosage. +rep :)

I went and gave em 2ml(cm3) which should equate to 3.36g, a little higher than what you suggested. C99 is reputed for voracious Mg consumption, so I assumed the res was rather low in Mg content at this point and felt safe. Not very scientific, I know, but the deficiency was getting severe on some of the higher bud leaves. Keeping pH above 5.8 to help her drink it, she's showing signs of recovery.

Here's the goods, day 32 of 12/12

C99's biggest cola just before lights on
picresized_th_1267430242_DSC_0990.jpg

'lil bit of purple on c99
picresized_th_DSC_0992.jpg

Everybody waking up
SSC_1002.jpg

Someone asked to see the guts of my operation, so let's have a tour.

This is my ghetto air-cooled reflector/exhaust hood combo! Works surprisingly well, temps don't go above 72.
DSC_0996b.JPG

If you follow that tubular aluminum exhaust support assembly (aka coffee can)

You wind up in the belly of the beast.
As you can see, my remote ballast comes with a top of the line laptop heatsink and toaster-oven grill mount, I went for the deluxe edition and sprung for the turbo air injected version. (aka that little fan)

DSC_0997.jpg

If you keep following the ducting, wtf dead end?!

DSC_0998.jpg

So, I had no power for about 8 hours. It sorta fit into my dark period (cutting 2 hours off of lights on)

Almost pooped my pants when I realized, my air pumps would be dead for that long. So I read everything I could find about it. Some said they'd DIE in 20 minutes, others said they could go 2-3 days, so all in all I smoked some tons of weed last night and ran around in circles trying to find an alternate power source. (Which did not happen, I will remedy that)

Anyway, I finally went to bed and checked em this morning, they look fine now that the power's back, but holy crap c99's bud leaves took a beating, about 50% more crunchy brown-ness than before, so I assume my Mg problem is not done, or this is something different. I'll try to get some pics of the damage, if anyone has any advice...

Anyway, they weren't wilted over and dead like I imagined they'd be. Whew.

Right on man!

I have air buckets ready for no power. Plant would just get an extended period of air. If it kept going I guess I could do a manual "ebb and flow". Put them in the water/nute filled bucket, then back to the air bucket. I don't know man, I would be screwed! lol

Glad yours made it.

That's a good idea, I had thought of going in and lifting them every now and then, but it was during their dark period...

I guess I could get away with suspending them in empty buckets and just moistening the roots every now and then like an aero setup.

That's a good idea, I had thought of going in and lifting them every now and then, but it was during their dark period...

I guess I could get away with suspending them in empty buckets and just moistening the roots every now and then like an aero setup.

Thats kinda my plan. If its dark period, it will just be "too bad". Didn't even think of that! Like I said, I'd be screwed! lol

IDENTIFY YOUR CLONES

So yeah, I (accidentally) threw out my c99 clone about a month back, and repotted a c99/diesel male in a mom hempy bucket. I went and took 5 cuttings off of c99, I know it's late but I can't not keep those genes. They're pretty late flowering, I don't mind waiting for re-veg, as long as they ROOT!

I also tried saliva cloning on 2, powder on 2, nothing on 1. We'll see what happens ;)

Donno what I'm gonna do with that male...

Killed the male, enzyme treating his pot so I can re-use it for that White Rhino seedling, also freaking curly.

I also have massive upward leaf margin curl on my higher fan-leaves, what I thought might be a Mg def? Now I'm not so sure. They look like a cigar, no distinct discoloration or blotching. My bottom fan leaves are dying from what seems to be a P or K def. (Browning and curling inward).

I don't think it's heat stress, temps are 70-78 canopy, good air circulation. Though the closest point is 8", the curl is happening about 12-14 inches down.
RH is about 40-45%.
I gave em 5ml of calmag (10ml already in res), topped off the water with overnight de-chlorinated and pH'd to 5.8.

I'll get some pics when I can get the camera, but any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom