Can broken stems grow back to full strength?

Spidermight

if i break a stem, and tape it back together, after a while, will it go back to being as strong as it was at the snapping point or does it never go back like it was?

had 5 minutes of strong winds and rain....

this is what it was enough to cause... easily lost 200 grams dry here..................................kill me

it's like someone killed my child :( the pain

photo_2021-09-26_21-36-10.jpg

Break it of all together only chance i feel is sicking it in water.
I assume its in flower taping it up MIGHT nit it back together SOME.
But as its in flower cant see her using energy to fix it if im honest she needs
it for buds.

If it was me i would stick it in some water and hope for the best.
If in veg i would be taping and hoping for the best. ;)

Break it of all together only chance i feel is sicking it in water.
I assume its in flower taping it up MIGHT nit it back together SOME.
But as its in flower cant see her using energy to fix it if im honest she needs
it for buds.

If it was me i would stick it in some water and hope for the best.
If in veg i would be taping and hoping for the best. ;)
Here is what i did, it realllyyy tighten those zipties, it looks like it didn't even break, i hope it will work...

The zipties are enough to support the weight of it even if they dont fuse back together, now i just have to hope.

Off topic: i used silica on this grow, i see zero difference in branches strength if i have to be honest

Ps. Diff acc because im on my phone

1632685819830341454932957931875.jpg

if i break a stem, and tape it back together, after a while, will it go back to being as strong as it was at the snapping point or does it never go back like it was?

had 5 minutes of strong winds and rain....

this is what it was enough to cause... easily lost 200 grams dry here..................................kill me

it's like someone killed my child :( the pain

photo_2021-09-26_21-36-10.jpg
I have read that these plants are quite resilient despite breakages. I have also experienced it myself. Is it completely broken off in the center, I can't tell from this picture through the rope. If it is still connected, I would wrap the shit out of it in duct tape. I had a similar, not quite as dramatic a break, on my AK auto a few months back-she was also in flower. That branch hung in and continued to produce. Not any instance of difference in yield or quality.
I haven't been growing long so I am not saying this is fixable but I would certainly try that before cutting her off completely. At least that's how I would approach this. Good luck, I am sure others will chime who have more knowledge and experience here than me.

I have read that these plants are quite resilient despite breakages. I have also experienced it myself. Is it completely broken off in the center, I can't tell from this picture through the rope. If it is still connected, I would wrap the shit out of it in duct tape. I had a similar, not quite as dramatic a break, on my AK auto a few months back-she was also in flower. That branch hung in and continued to produce. Not any instance of difference in yield or quality.
I haven't been growing long so I am not saying this is fixable but I would certainly try that before cutting her off completely. At least that's how I would approach this. Good luck, I am sure others will chime who have more knowledge and experience here than me.
i sticked her back together pretty well (see pic)

only lost a few branches, hopefully, the fix will hold, that was some really nasty damage took me 3 hours to tape everything back together,

pray for my little girl :adore:

i sticked her back together pretty well (see pic)

only lost a few branches, hopefully, the fix will hold, that was some really nasty damage took me 3 hours to tape everything back together,

pray for my little girl :adore:
Zip tie junction what's your function? Save my plant!!!!! Fingers crossed Spidey

Mine kept tipping over so I added some rocks to the top of my containers, it certainly helped a bit. The thing is though, the branches get so heavy when it rains that they drag on the ground if you don't keep them propped up, so I had to counter that too. I just used some tape and a couple poles hammered into the ground.

20210916_163727.jpg

they say a broken bone heals to become stronger than it was before….

Wow yeah that bites, good job on cable ties - hopefully it will knit back. On that other thing - push a thin rod all the way thru the grow bag and out the other side - then tape or thread a long piece of sturdy wire into the hole. Screw either end of the wire into a big piece plywood like 3x3 or tie wire it to a cinderblock on each end

they say a broken bone heals to become stronger than it was before….

Wow yeah that bites, good job on cable ties - hopefully it will knit back. On that other thing - push a thin rod all the way thru the grow bag and out the other side - then tape or thread a long piece of sturdy wire into the hole. Screw either end of the wire into a big piece plywood like 3x3 or tie wire it to a cinderblock on each end
i actually ended up putting some heavy rocks on top of my bigger pots, and this one (little pot) i just took a very heavy metal plate and tied it to the pot... hopefully no more storms :(

I have one in my basement that took almost exactly the same damage as you show (damn wind) about two weeks ago... I did a serious hack job of taping it back together, but it is still growing .... it ain't super happy about being inside after living outside all of its' life. (plus I had to tie down the branches because it was the only way to get it under the lights)
20210923_203135.jpg
I can't see an obvious difference between the branches that broke and the ones that didn't

20210923_203151.jpg

Off topic: i used silica on this grow, i see zero difference in branches strength if i have to be honest
I was under the impression that the silica is supposed to make the branches stronger as in keeping them from bending all the way over from the weight of the buds towards the end of flowering.

When several branches or stems break apart like in the photos it is a "crotch splitting" problem. Yep, that is the highly technical name for the problem used by tree care people and gardeners. When a branch, or two, split off from the trunk or stem, a cavity forms but it is often hidden by the area where the two stems are touching each other. Everything tends to look strong but that cavity is basically empty space with no strength.

Tie or tape it up and support some of the weight by tying near the top of the stem to a stake. The plant heals up and forms a lot of scar tissues. Not sure that it ends up being any stronger but at least the buds can be saved.

I was under the impression that the silica is supposed to make the branches stronger as in keeping them from bending all the way over from the weight of the buds towards the end of flowering.

When several branches or stems break apart like in the photos it is a "crotch splitting" problem. Yep, that is the highly technical name for the problem used by tree care people and gardeners. When a branch, or two, split off from the trunk or stem, a cavity forms but it is often hidden by the area where the two stems are touching each other. Everything tends to look strong but that cavity is basically empty space with no strength.

Tie or tape it up and support some of the weight by tying near the top of the stem to a stake. The plant heals up and forms a lot of scar tissues. Not sure that it ends up being any stronger but at least the buds can be saved.
do i need to support it? zip ties do a pretty good job at keeping it together

i used silica on all my plants and it made 0 difference, branches still can't hold the weight of the buds... no improvements comparing to MC only grows

Back
Top Bottom