Canopy area vs root area

Justones

I had a thought today while driving to work. Is there a standard ratio for how big your canopy of branches/leaves should be vs how big the bucket/pot is for roots? If so is trimming during veg stage key to not exceed this?

I can tell you with unlimited room, the canopy will want to grow to roughly the same size as the rootball.
When in pots, I think the same proportions might offer the highest quality buds, but that is just conjecture.

As far as I know, there is no standard ratio. My motto has always been - grow the biggest, baddest roots you possibly can, and the plant will follow.

Amen, brother!

Cool thanks for the info. It was just a thought I had. I've up potted a few times in this grow. The last up pot was from a 5 gallon bucket to a 20x17 pot soon as I seen the first pystil's show up. But I question in the back of my mind if the 20x17 was big enough now. It was at the time. But one of my plants is pretty big for a potted one.

Light Addict grew this beauty in a 5 gallon pot.

IMG_20160222_232113.jpg

IMO, once they are in bloom, it is a bit late to try and build a massive rootball to take advantage of a much larger pot. Your roots should be pretty well where you want them at the flip.

Do you mean 20" diameter and 17" deep, or a rectangle shaped pot with unknown depth? I can tell you a 24" diameter x 24" deep pot = 75 gallons. You better have one helluva big room if this is going inside. Even a 7 gallon pot can produce a monster.

I'm not trying to build a root ball in flower. It was just time to up pot & I worried the growing in stretch of flower coming. Basis of this thread was just a thought about canopy size vs root area size.

The pot is sold at lowe$. Black plastic round one. Says 20x17. It's a good bit bigger than a 5 gallon bucket for sure. They were near root bound in the 5 gal buckets. I feel my root system is healthy & good. I was just curious about a large canopy for potted plants.

PS I'm not trying to be snarky or rude. Just sometime's the way I type comes off that way.

Light Addict is a league of his own. Pics of his grows could either, demoralize you completely, or inject you with the insatiable will to try and get as close to that as humanly possible :)

That's just tied down and spread out tho right? Completely doable. Looks amazing for sure.

Just measured the pot to know. It's 20 wide by 17 deep.

That's about 25 true gallons = 30 trade gallons.
LA grows some amazing plants with his fluxing, but it takes too long for me. I think you can get better yield (and variety) by growing smaller plants faster.

I don't think it would be 25/30 gal it tapers just a bit from top to bottom. Here is a pic from july to see the pots. Think that was not long after repotting. They got a little bigger in the stretch.
DSC_0114_3_.jpg

I have several 16" x 16" softpots (not tapered). They are 25 gallons.

I can tell you a 24" diameter x 24" deep pot = 75 gallons.
:thedoubletake: ^ Senior moment. ^
My pots are actually 30" diameter x 24" deep = 75 gal. :sorry:

I would say it also comes down to root structure within that area. For example, lets say you have two plants growing in 5 gallon containers. One is rootbound, and one is not. The one that is rootbound will probably have a smaller canopy because there is less efficient transport of nutrients.

Back
Top Bottom