CFLGrow's Soil, White Widow, CFL Stealth Growbox Journal - 2010

Plants look wonderful! That sounds like a good flush to me, I think the hygrozyme is just going to clean the roots but you better ask someone who actually knows!

Keep up the good work!

hi mate.....that flush as you said was not a proper flush IMHO my thinking is this the correct way as im sure you know is to multiply by 3 the size of your pots then only put ph water thru the pots......you see anything you add to water and put thru your pot will leave traces of something in the soil i realise you have fed them only once with the Hygrozyme but and a dreadful but at that...if you have any probs further down the road...you could only say i kindda flushed them...if you get me ?...i know im a little biased to no feeding in veg ....but just my 2 pence worth haha...let me know your thoughts....weedtastic :nicethread:

Hey Weed :)

I actually didn't know about the '3 times' rule. Makes sense, now that I think about it. So my new question would be, how do you guys usually deal with all that excess water? I have 10 six-liter pots... that's 180 liters you're suggesting I run through them. I have a 15 liter bucket I use for feeding... so that'd be 12 of those buckets. That seems pretty excessive.

Maybe three times the usual feeding amount? I give each pot just over a liter and a half of water per feeding.

As for the hygrozyme... I feel pretty comfortable with the 'almost flush' I did. Minus the fact that there wasn't enough water to truly flush out the salts :( Haha. Next time, I suppose.

Anyway, it's flower time! I've been looking at my girls, and I think I'm pretty comfortable with their sizes. So in the next week or so, I'll be switching up my metal halide with a 430 W HPS. It's the 400 W light with additional light spectrum. I'm also getting my hands on a second 400 W, as well as a 1000 W (in a month)... so I should be set to run a much bigger harvest next grow.

Does anyone have any tips or rules they follow for switching to bloom? I plan on giving them either 36 or 48 hours of darkness, then make the switch. I have a different nutrient for the bloom cycle, and I need to look into temp/RH settings. I've heard many people talk about changing those settings a bit to encourage resin production on the leaves. Can anyone fill me in?

Plants look wonderful! That sounds like a good flush to me, I think the hygrozyme is just going to clean the roots but you better ask someone who actually knows!

Keep up the good work!

Thanks BlueDog! It took me forever, but I trudged my way through all your journals... I love the Hempy grows you have! And thanks for the encouragement :)

WOW lookin good man keep it up Im along for the ride

Thanks to you too, Troublesome! It's nice to have an audience... otherwise this journal feels lonely. Haha. I've been following yours pretty religiously since you started, too!

Hey Weed :)

I actually didn't know about the '3 times' rule. Makes sense, now that I think about it. So my new question would be, how do you guys usually deal with all that excess water? I have 10 six-liter pots... that's 180 liters you're suggesting I run through them. I have a 15 liter bucket I use for feeding... so that'd be 12 of those buckets. That seems pretty excessive.

Maybe three times the usual feeding amount? I give each pot just over a liter and a half of water per feeding.

As for the hygrozyme... I feel pretty comfortable with the 'almost flush' I did. Minus the fact that there wasn't enough water to truly flush out the salts :( Haha. Next time, I suppose.

Anyway, it's flower time! I've been looking at my girls, and I think I'm pretty comfortable with their sizes. So in the next week or so, I'll be switching up my metal halide with a 430 W HPS. It's the 400 W light with additional light spectrum. I'm also getting my hands on a second 400 W, as well as a 1000 W (in a month)... so I should be set to run a much bigger harvest next grow.

Does anyone have any tips or rules they follow for switching to bloom? I plan on giving them either 36 or 48 hours of darkness, then make the switch. I have a different nutrient for the bloom cycle, and I need to look into temp/RH settings. I've heard many people talk about changing those settings a bit to encourage resin production on the leaves. Can anyone fill me in?
yes mate 12 of them buckets for a proper flush....i take mine into my garden and do it out doors so no water spill inside the grow space...pain in the ass to be honest........and yes indeed if you need to flush later on you can always do it again it does not harm the plants..........your new lights will be awsome......if your actually buying them.....look into the digital ballasts they cost a little more but are well worth it.........on changeing to the bloom cycle ive tried 24 hours dark 48 hours dark etc and i can t say i notice a difference....i did notice a difference when i gave them 12 hours dark and let them dry out at the same time so the morning i was due to switch the flower light on they needed feeding so i gave them there first bloom nutes...seemed to go hand in hand if you get me?....still not a massive difference....but light on and bloom nutes seemed to give them a little kick up the butt to flower lol.......the biggest difference and rule of thumb for me when blooming was this......never let your nite time temps or lights off temps drop lower than 15 degrees from your light on temps....this stops the plants stressing and will produce nice resin for you.....do you have any pics of the lights you will be using ? makes and models ?.............let me know your thoughts mate........weedtastic

Hey Weed! I'll snap some pictures tomorrow when I get a chance, but for now I'll just explain.

They're ghetto.

Haha. I've been buying used 400W HID's online - off Kijiji. It's the same as craigslist, if you haven't heard of it. Anyway, these are lights that get torn out of old shops, warehouses, stores, etc. They have a huge ballast with the light coming out the bottom. Then a big aluminum dome for the reflector.

The reason I went this route is because I currently have three 400W MH's, and two 400W HPS's (just bought the second one an hour ago), and my total cost so far has been $150. The 1000W I'm buying in a week will put me out $100.

Also, for the ambient temperature... I have a little space heater with a thermostat hardwired into it. I'll spend a few days fine tuning the settings, but I should be able to maintain a pretty consistent temperature.

Also, for the ambient temperature... I have a little space heater with a thermostat hardwired into it. I'll spend a few days fine tuning the settings, but I should be able to maintain a pretty consistent temperature.

Good bargain lights off kijiji - used that site with pretty good results before, both buying and selling. Those look like some big ballasts attached right to the lights, won't those kick off a bunch heat? May just need a fan blowing from below to push the heat away, i dunno but maybe weedtastic would ? Other than that looks like a good score.

I use a heating mat underneath my drain tray to keep nighttime temps up, though have just started using it now in the winter, did not during flowering of my last grow. Im using it for seedlings, and have it on a seperate timer so it comes on 15 min before lights out, goes off 15 min after lights back on. I think this helps with root growth too, as the roots are seeking the warmth below .. read that somewhere. Thats mainly for young veg plants though, so probly not what ur looking for.

Cant wait to see that plant under some HID! :peace:

hi mate indeed i do know the lights your working with....i used 2 x 400 hps from a warehouse my first grow lol....and all worked out really well....with all that added lumenens your girls are gonna thrive mate......good things are gonna happen round here mate....nice work.....weedtastic

A new, interesting update on my light situation - the guy selling them owns an alternative lighting company. So he rips out these old ones that waste electricity, and put in high efficiency fluorescents, LED's, etc.

Apparently he doesn't mind selling his company's products out the back door for cash... because we're now talking about high performance grow LED's and induction fluorescent tubes for pretty cheap :) It'd remove the heating issue, and cut my electricity bill down to 25-50%! I'm pretty stoked about the possibility. I won't buy anything until at least the end of my next grow, though.

I'm excited for the flowering too, though! Thanks for the love!

Good bargain lights off kijiji - used that site with pretty good results before, both buying and selling. Those look like some big ballasts attached right to the lights, won't those kick off a bunch heat? May just need a fan blowing from below to push the heat away, i dunno but maybe weedtastic would ? Other than that looks like a good score.

I use a heating mat underneath my drain tray to keep nighttime temps up, though have just started using it now in the winter, did not during flowering of my last grow. Im using it for seedlings, and have it on a seperate timer so it comes on 15 min before lights out, goes off 15 min after lights back on. I think this helps with root growth too, as the roots are seeking the warmth below .. read that somewhere. Thats mainly for young veg plants though, so probly not what ur looking for.

Cant wait to see that plant under some HID! :peace:

Hey Growheart!

Yeah... right now I have one 400W light running. I can keep the temperatures right on the 78-79º mark just by circulating the grow room air, but I'm going to need some additional ventilation once I switch over to 2+ lights. I found some aggressive fans at an army surplus store today for $9 a piece... I love bargain stores :)

I have some thoughts that need feedback, though...

The grow room is a cellar, in the corner of my basement. The temperatures are nice and cool/steady, as it's in the basement surrounded by concrete. I need to figure out what to do about the new lights, though. The easiest solution for the heat is to simply circulate the basement air through the grow room... a line in and an exhaust fan.

My other idea, however, is pretty different. I was considering installing a second 'dryer exhaust vent' on to the side of my house, right where the cellar is. The air intake would be from the basement (which usually float at around 72º), and the hot air exhaust would vent outside.

There are issues there, though... I'm chopping a hole through my foundation, which serves no purpose other than for my grow. I don't know if I like that idea. I've still got to sell this house someday, right? Secondly, what if this introduces issues like freezing cold backdrafts in the winter, or hot air leaking in during the summer months?

Also, maybe venting air straight outside would create drafts in my house. I'm not really sure...

Anyone ever thought about this, and have any suggestions? The 'nice' idea would be to get an air conditioning unit with air intake and exhaust lines... but that's expensive and raises my electrical bill.

Another update!

I finally screwed up with my plants, and I have some nute burn. Or a deficiency. Who knows?

Anyway, I've tried looking through the deficiency guides, but I feel lost. Maybe you guys can help me out? I'm looking at a tiny bit of twisting leaves, but mainly yellowing at the edges. On the worst leaves, the yellowing takes up 75%+ of the leaf, and the edges are a dead brown colour.

Overall, the plants are healthy, have tons of new growth, and are growing in height/width every day.

Still, I'd like to stop the damage.

My girls are on a 19/5 light schedule, the temperatures never exceed 80º.

I'm feeding them Pro Grow (a local fertilizer blend specifically for the growth cycle) which is a 3-1-3, includes zinc, boron, molybednum, calcium, iron, manganese and copper.

Aside from the pro grow (which I consistently keep under their recommended 3 ml/l dosage), I'm using Hygrozyme. Again - below the recommended dosage.

My water is pH'd to about 6-6.5... although I'm using a liquid test kit... so variance is quite possible. I only checked runoff once... it was pretty close to what I was putting in. That was a few weeks ago, though.

Any ideas? I'm going to take some photos now, as that'll probably help more than my description.

As it happens, the four affected plants happen to be on the outside of the cluster of plants. I don't think it's light-related, but they are at the edges of the light.

Thoughts?

PS - I got some fans which are 24 volt, 1.1 amp, 26 watts.

I bought adapters for them which are 24 volts as well, but 600 milli amps and 14.4 watts.

Does anyone know much about series vs. parallel wiring? Would I be able to simply wire the fan with two adapters?

I wired the fan with a single adapter, but it blew after a day of use. Now I have it on a half-hour on, half-hour off timer. I'm thinking it will blow soon, anyway.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Im going to be going to school to be an electrician but till then that stuff bothers me and i wont mess with wiring stuff together thats how houses get lost. But lets see some pics of the babies and we'll work on ya problem :)
Ya gotta love the perfect temps in a cellar. My temps are 80 lights on, 70 lights off and you can take that to the bank no matter the weather outside :)

Hey Troublesome.

I have the smoke alarm, CO sensor and two fire extinguishers in/around the grow room... I'm trying to be careful... but that being said, they don't always make the perfect, pre-made electrical setup. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

That being said, can you tell me if it's possible to wire two adapters into one product? I could test it out, but there's a chance I'll blow the adapters if it doesn't work. Essentially, I'm hoping I can plug the two positive wires from the adapters into the fan's positive wire, and the two negatives into the fan's negative.

*Hopefully* creating a 24 volt current with double the watts/amps.

Please tell me if this is completely ridiculous, and I'll simply fry the breaker/adapters :)

Aaaand here are your pictures, Weed!

I'm pretty happy with the 'look' of the grow room, now that the plants have filled out, been transplanted into 15 liter pots, and I have the two lights running. It makes me proud :)

I've included a picture of the leaf that had the heaviest nute burn... so any suggestions there would help. After transplanting, I ran 10 liters of water through the soil. Hopefully that gives the plants a slight flush, some extra food from the soil, and some room for the roots. Once I see a bit of growth from the new transplant, I'll give them 36 hours of darkness and start blooming!

PIC_0094.jpg

PIC_0093.jpg

PIC_00921.jpg

PIC_00901.jpg

PIC_00911.jpg

PIC_00891.jpg

PIC_0087.jpg

The picture below has the nute burn...
PIC_0088.jpg

PIC_0094.jpg

PIC_00851.jpg

PIC_0086.jpg

PIC_00841.jpg

PIC_0083.jpg

Great job man lookin really good :)
IMO I wouldnt worry too much about that leaf if its just the one...it happens it could be a million reasons id think. The rest of your plant and plants look fine and happy with their new lights :) If you start to see further damage tune the nutes back a little. If that happens to me i just dilute my mix a little.
Hope it doesnt get too hot in there with those lights they look super heavy duty though :)

Back
Top Bottom