Charly's 4th Grow - G13 Haze Soctober 2011

Miwa said:
Dammmm i'm empressed...i know you are grinning ... 15 weeks??? dam i'm going to get what you got...

Yeh...i think i will get some of that coco...they just got so many kind..your girls look good...you like sati too huh...yeh i like both...yep...good growing grant

I love Sati! Couch lock Indies are fine once in a while, but I don't need to smoke MJ to get couch lock. When you get older, it's part of everyday life. When I was younger, smoking weed alway made me want to flip around (that's a 60's expression for doing active things when you're stoned, as opposed to just sitting around).

As far as Coco Coir goes, I'm really impressed! I had some concerns before I tried it, but it's great. The only thing to be wary of is calcium deficiencies, which can be avoided with Dolomite Lime and/or CalMag. If you don't mind the work of rehydrating your coco, buying the bricks is a good way to go. If you're buying the rehydrated kind, I would think most are pretty much the same, unless they add extra supplements. I mean, coco is coco and all reliable brands have been steam flushed to remove any excess salts.

If I bought a rehydrated brand, I would check to see if it was pure coco or had some other additivies. I would then add 25% Perlite and Dolomite Lime to "prepare" it.

Somebody liked how Miss Nebula was coming along. Here's a picture of her:

Miss Nebula (10 days after transplant)

MissNeb4.jpg

The yellow look to the leaves is from a 2700K bulb (each globe has a splitter with a 2700K bulb and a 6500K bulb. Sometimes the photos have a reddish cast to them. The leaves are actually a perfect shade of green.

Here's a picture of her alongside the Miracle Clone. They were both transplanted into coco at the same time. Both plants have doubled in size!

Life at the Coco Cabana

CocoLadies.jpg

.​

Holy Shit!

Two weeks ago I cut a few buds off my G13 Haze crop and put them in a jar to cure. I was expecting my mentor, Sensei Marijuana to come to town and I thought it would be nice if we both got to try it at the same time. After all, if it wasn't for his help setting me up and walking me through my first grow, I wouldn't be writing this journal. I'd still be shelling out big bucks for mediocre marijuana.

Anyway, his plans seem to be on indefinite hold, and my last grow has almost run out, so I decided to give them a try. I had only expected to cure them for a couple of days, but it turned out to be two weeks. So I smoked some last night. After two weeks it was pretty smooth. And the high?

Holy Shit!

Wait! Did I say that already? It wasn't an up trippy high, but a dreamy, very mellow high.

I like it. It's much stronger than anything else I've grown. That was from the end of week 12. I didn't pick very much, just enough for a couple of bowls.

I just picked some more tonight.

G13 Haze Mini-Harvest (14 weeks)

G13MiniHarvest.jpg

I've cut so many leaves off to allow light to reach all the way down the plants that the buds are almost trimmed.

G13 Haze Mini-Harvest Trimmed(14 weeks)

G13MiniTrimmed.jpg

I've put them in a paper bag in the flower room. They'll dry most of the way out overnight. Then I'll put them in a jar to cure a couple of days. I have a feeling they won't stay in the jar very long!

.​

Spliffd
What do you think accounts for the increased high from the g13? Was it a higher THC content?

I think so. That and the fact that it had been in flower for 12 weeks at the time. The seed producer said the plants would mature after 8 weeks of flower, but suggested that 10 weeks would be optimal.

I had intended to harvest when they were 10 weeks old as I thought that would maximize their Sativa potential. I told my mentor I was looking for an up trippy high and that I didn't want the THC to start to degrade.

But he told me that Sativas can develop nice secondary characteristics (CBD, CBN) if you let them go longer and that I would be missing out on something wonderful if I harvested them too soon. He has a very tall grow space and had grown many Sativas. Whenever I tried any of his weed, it just blew me away, so I decided to take his advice.

I figured I would wait until the trichomes start turning amber and then harvest. The trichomes haven't turned, so I'm still leaving them in flower.

So, I think the high is due to a high THC content. But the secondary cannabanoids may be the cause for the very mellow effect it has.

Whatever the cause, I'm very pleased and I'm leaving them in flower for at least a few more weeks.

Twelve12
How is the G13?

It is simply awesome, Twelve12! Not to brag, but I'm as pleased as punch with how the G13 has worked out. I'm glad that I took some clones of my favorite gals from this strain. (Big Sister and Little Sister)

The late blooming clone is also from Big Sister. I intend to take clones from Miss Nebula, Big Sister and Little Sister and, when the G13 is finished, put them into the flower room along with Miracle Clone.

Miracle Clone

MiracleClone4.jpg

I know you're one of the master growers on this site, Twelve12, so I was wondering if I could ask you a question (or anyone else who might know):

I'm trying to germinate a seed from TGA Subcool. It's called The Third Diemsion and is a Sativa-dominant strain. I put it in a cup of water, covered it up in a dark place (cabinet drawer) in my veg room. It's fairly warm in there and, whenever I checked, the water was tepid, which should be fine.

After a day, it started to split. I thought I would wait until a tap root emerged. It never did. After 3 days, I put it in coco coir soil. I've kept the soil moist. It's been there 3 days and it hasn't emerged. I checked yesterday and very carefully removed th top layer of soil. The seed looked exactly the same as when I planted it. Still no tap root.

Is this seed a dud? I know Sativa seeds take longer to germinate and need warmer temperatures than Indicas, so I turned up the temperature in my veg room. Could the fact that the seed cracked just be due to expansion of the seed's core and not due to germination?

If anyone knows, please reply. Since it doesn't cost any more to leave it where it is, I'll let it sit for a few more days, but I don't have much hope it will be viable.

I know you're one of the master growers on this site, Twelve12, so I was wondering if I could ask you a question (or anyone else who might know):

I'm trying to germinate a seed from TGA Subcool. It's called The Third Diemsion and is a Sativa-dominant strain. I put it in a cup of water, covered it up in a dark place (cabinet drawer) in my veg room. It's fairly warm in there and, whenever I checked, the water was tepid, which should be fine.

After a day, it started to split. I thought I would wait until a tap root emerged. It never did. After 3 days, I put it in coco coir soil. I've kept the soil moist. It's been there 3 days and it hasn't emerged. I checked yesterday and very carefully removed th top layer of soil. The seed looked exactly the same as when I planted it. Still no tap root.

Is this seed a dud? I know Sativa seeds take longer to germinate and need warmer temperatures than Indicas, so I turned up the temperature in my veg room. Could the fact that the seed cracked just be due to expansion of the seed's core and not due to germination?

If anyone knows, please reply. Since it doesn't cost any more to leave it where it is, I'll let it sit for a few more days, but I don't have much hope it will be viable.[/QUOTE]

I would like to know the answer to that to...i did the same thing with my AK AUTO...except mine is in rock wool..seed has been split for 4 days...

Miwa said:
I would like to know the answer to that to...i did the same thing with my AK AUTO...except mine is in rock wool..seed has been split for 4 days...

You have my sympathies, man. I just checked again. No change. Gonna leave it sit for at least a few more days. It's coco, so I'm making sure the soil stays moist.

Loving my G13!

I took some closeup pictures of the same buds that I picked a couple of days ago.

Here's a repeat of the picture so you don't have to scroll up to find it.

G13 Buds Trimmed

G13MiniTrimmed.jpg

I taped a paper towel over my bathroom mirror and taped one of the nicer buds to it to take the pictures.

Red-Haired Child

DriedTrikesB.jpg

Here's the same bud. I flipped it over to see if the trikes looked better on this side.

This Is My Good Side, Dah-ling!

DriedTrikesA.jpg

Here's a blowup of the picture above:

Trichomes At The Top

DriedTrikesA1.jpg

And another blowup of the trichomes on the bottom:

Does This Make My Hips Look Fat?

DriedTrikesA2.jpg

.​

Hows the G13 buddy? Looks good... You told me to pop in and say Hello, So HELLO GRANT

Take a nosey at my journal, nice wee surprise for you

VH over and out :)

:cheer:

V-Man said:
Hows the G13 buddy? Looks good...

It is F**King Awesome!

I just tried some 14 week old. That's like drinking 12 year old Scots Whisky, LOL!

The first batch I tried, I had picked after 12 weeks. The batch I'm smoking now has been ripening on the vine for 14 weeks.

This is the end of the 15th week of flowering. I'm planning on letting her go to 17 weeks. I bought this yesterday and used it today ...

Advanced Nutrients Overdrive

Overdrive.jpg

on the ladies. I did a bunch of research and it was down to Canna PK 13/14 and AN Overdrive. My grow shop only had the Overdrive, so it was a no-brainer. He swore (and so did the journals I searched) that this would cause my crop to top out in the last two weeks of its cycle. Has anyone used this? Like PK 13/14, it's heavy in phosphorus and potassium. It seems our favorite plants crave this stuff at the end of flowering. Sorta like pregnancy cravings, I guess. Besides the P and K of the N-P-K, it has essential amino acids that MJ needs to synthesize proteins, all leading to

THC and other Cannabanoids!

Crop At 15 Weeks

Crop15Weeks.jpg

Here are the two nicest plants ...

Sisters Side By Side

SistersSideBySide.jpg

I have a large clone of each.

Here is the rescue plant ...

Miss Nebula

MissNeb5.jpg

and here is the other daughter of Big Sister ...

Miracle Clone

MiracleClone5.jpg

.​

Ive got cana pk 13/14 and used it on northern in her last 2-3 weeks of flowering, defo liked it... Using it on kush as we speak, Never heard of the overdrive tbh

Plants are looking awesome, 17 weeks oooft!!!

Vannelle said:
my god man ....speed it up ....im in 2nd week grow allready!!!

I'm growing as fast as I can! Can't keep up with you youngsters anymore.

17 weeks ...i never did that!!!

Neither did I !!!

Nice to see you around again, Vannelle! You had journal for a while, but I guess you gave it up?

Are you still living in your "Garden of Weedin'"?

VtecHoe said:
Ive got cana pk 13/14 and used it on northern in her last 2-3 weeks of flowering, defo liked it... Using it on kush as we speak, Never heard of the overdrive tbh

Plants are looking awesome, 17 weeks oooft!!!

I think Overdrive is Advanced Nutrients answer to Canna's PK13/14. You're only supposed to use it for the last two weeks of flowering. I had 17 weeks in the back of my mind and the fact that I bought the Overdrive at the end of week 15 and needed two more weeks clinched the harvest date.

Sativas are notorious for taking a long time to finish flowering. This strain was bred to finish sooner, but I'm going for later.

The trikes just keep on busting out. I've been trying to get some pictures of them, but the HPS isn't very good for definition. I'll swap it out for the MH soon to see if I can get some pictures of them.

I had a little bit of the 12 week flowers and just finished the 14 week flowers. I can't say for sure if the 14 week is better than the 12 week one, but it certainly is no worse!

I have a feeling that sativa trichomes never turn amber. Some sativas are known to produce almost no CBD or CBN. CBN is produced by the oxidation of THC and is why the trichomes turn amber (not positive about this - the turning amber, not the oxidation part). Maybe Sativas have an energy shield that keeps oxygen from degrading their THC.

Spliffd said:
Do you think that leaving for such an extended period could cause it to "hermie"?

Never even thought about that. I've never had a hermie - knock on wood. Wait! Don't only make plants get wood?

A hermie at this stage wouldn't be a big deal anyway as the flowers are nearly completed. All the existing THC isn't going to disappear even if all the plants turned hermie.

This is from Ed Rosenthal, a marijuana guru who has written one of the "bibles" of marijuana growing:
There are several methods of producing feminized seeds, but using hermaphrodites is not a fruitful method. About half the plants will be hermaphrodites and they are harder to detect than males. There are several methods for creating all female seeds. One way is to let buds ripen. Sometimes a few male flowers appear just as the buds ripen. These flowers, which are harmless because the bud is about to be harvested, contain viable pollen that only has female genetics. Be carefully collecting the pollen and using a watercolor brush to pollinate select buds you can produce a small number of seeds.

From what I have read, hermaphroditism occurs mainly by light entering the flower room when it should be dark. My flower room is basically a large closet, i.e., no windows. There is a small gap at the bottom of the door that I keep covered up. I've only entered the room twice when the lights were out. Both times, I made sure that all the nearby lights were turned off. I really couldn't see anything when I entered. I was maneuvering by sense of touch. Almost poked my eye out on a stake I use to train the plants.

However, for your viewing pleasure ...

Instead of a hermaphrodite, I've got foxtails for you. These are typically genetic, but many strains will produce them if flowering goes on for too long. It's a particular trait of sativas.

Apparently some growers love them and some hate them. The ones that hate them say they don't have "bag appeal." I'm not a dealer, so I could care less. They're also harder to trim. Don't care about that either.

For those who don't know, a foxtail is a string of buds that grow away from the main bud or cola. Sometimes they have seeds in them. They are a last ditch effort to produce seeds and will not pollinate another plants.

Pretty Bud

PrettyBud2.jpg

Here's the cola with the foxtails.

G13Foxtails.jpg

Here's a closeup fo the foxtail itself.

G13FoxtailsCloseup.jpg

.​

I showed u some vids and pics of me.....i did not have a sexu..........grow journal......:thumb:

But seriously....what is the time they put on the seed package.....8 weeks 9 for nice buds?.....sue them!!!!

no flushing time? ..... mine had in the last 2 weeks nothing....just plain tabwater.....6.0ph

whats your humididty at this point in flower?.....your watergifts.....how did they change during your grow?

and another edit....to say fuck bagappeal....my weed never gets in a bag.....jar jar jar.....like a pirate.

Hey Vannelle,

I remember your wonderful video! For some reason I thought you might have started a journal as well.

I flushed about four weeks ago when I thought I was going to harvest earlier. Since then, I've cheated a little by giving the plants 1/2 strength nutrients every 10 days. Some people might say this will make the smoke harsh, but I think proper curing will oxidize any remaining nitrates in the harvest.

I've also been using Blackstrap Molasses when I water. The essential sugars and the high mineral content seem to help a lot in flowering. The Overdrive that I'm using now is high in phosphorus and potassium. It's N-P-K is 1-5-4. It also has 1% magnesium. I water whenever the pots feel light, about every two to three days. (The pots that I have are not that large. I don't know the exact size as they are marked with codes, not size in gallons or milliliters.)

I just smoked a few buds that I picked last night (15 weeks of flowering and the high was very nice.). By the way, I've never asked you - do you grow mainly Sativas or Indicas or a mix of both? You have so many plants. Have any of them gone rogue and turned hermie on you?

I managed to get some decent photos showing the THC crystals. Here they are:​

G13Trichomes02.jpg

G13Trichomes03.jpg

G13Trichomes01.jpg

.​

I got mainly sativas....cause we "the dutch" like things that grow fast......in holland they(the suppliers to shops) grow fast flowers because its economical better ... for them, ....i like quality.
this current one ....i got my seeds from an english grow friend.... justAK justbubblegum and lemon skunk......got the bottles out again.....co2 ....is flushing thru the room as we speak.....30 liter pots......i only use flower feed....and in week 6 one week of green sensation.....then i start flushing.
no hermies .....rogue i dont understand?
i do understand tho ...that your smoke will be a great one.....time is essential to the herbals of peace.

and if you watch your message inbox .... youll see you have a new message.

Back
Top Bottom