Cheap & Stealthy Attempt In Soil - Royal Creamatic 2017

Steadyroll

Hi everyone on 420mag,
this is my very first post here, I've only been reading journals since now.

I'm gonna explain what I am working on:
I've always been very passionate about growing and this is my first attempt with autoflowering cannabis. Even though I had/have a very low budget, I still wanted to give growing autos a try for my own fun.

This first grow is basically a test, I'm gonna try to figure out if there are the conditions for a very stealthy and inexpensive grow. So, few lights that won't impact the bills too much and a small, fast and "easy" plant.

The plant is growing in my wardrobe for now, but I will soon build with pvc, gardening fleece and mylar a very small greenhouse, which is intended to be letting sunlights in (my balcony is north exposed, not that much light) while maintaining the heat (minimum temperatures are about 8°C outside at the moment), but I'm gonna explain that later on. Anyway lamps will still be running in the greenhouse.

I'm running 1x LED 24W grow light (4:1 R/B) I got from amazon: company says it's 3500lm, I'm a bit suspicious about that, but it's working fine for now. It should probably have 12x3W at 2/3 of the potency resulting in a higher efficiency, that's the only reason I could think of. It is placed about 10 inches from the top. + 1x 11W CFL 6500k (About 700lm) a few inches far on a side. In a couple of days I will be adding 2x 23W CFLs (6500k/2700k, 1600 lm each).

I picked Royal Queen Seeds Royal Creamatic strain for its size, flowering time and resistance to low temperatures and mold. Also I read that RQS makes very stable genetics so I decided to try.

The medium I'm using is a pre-fertilized soil from Canna, Bio Terra Plus to which I gave some mycorrhizae for root stimulation. I'm not going to use a feeding schedule unless the plant asks for it and in that case I will be feeding her with GO Bio Thrive Grow/Bloom and Bio Bud as I want to avoid chemicals fertilizers. To be honest I have no idea how "hot" it is since it's the first time I'm using it. Currently growing in a 6.5L pot to limit the size, I'm not mixing perlite since the medium seems to be very aerated by itself. I'm planning on LSTing when she will get a bit bigger.

I will get a ph tester in a few days. For now I checked my local tap water pH and it should be 7.6 or so, I've been just mixing a few lemon juice drops or some rainwater (when possible) to my tap water after 24h rest to lower it a bit (this may have caused some issues I will be showing later)

Here's a brief summary:

Strain: RQS Royal Creamatic Auto
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? 10% Sativa 60% Indica 30% Ruderalis
Is it in Veg: Veg 24/0
If in Veg... For how long? 11 Days from seedling
Indoor or outdoor? Indoor in a wardrobe with some mylar in it, gonna move her in a "greenhouse" on my balcony
Soil or Hydro? Soil
If soil... what is in your mix? 100% Canna Bio Terra Plus (Peat, bark, coco fibre)
If soil... What size pot? 6.5L, wanted to keep the plant small and compact
Size of light? 1x Led 24W + 2x 23W CFLs+ 1x 11W CFL 6500k
PH of media or res? 5.8
How often are you watering? Once every 3/4 days, approx 800ml
Type and strength of ferts used? Since the soil is pre-fertilized I'm not using any, at least for the first weeks, only added mycorrhizae when flushing before planting

I put the seed directly in the final pot and soil on 2/18 and it sprouted on 2/22.
I turned on the lights on a 24/0 schedule and growth was fast and looking healthy, I had the first real watering at day 7 with 800ml of tap+rainwater+lemon juice, in the previous days I just fed her with a 5-10 ml a few times.
So here's are the pictures I took every day since the day it sprouted:

DAY 1

20170222_122357.jpg

DAY 2

20170223_134120.jpg

DAY 3

20170224_120435.jpg

DAY 4

20170225_180030.jpg

DAY 5

20170226_131443.jpg

DAY 6

20170227_180415.jpg

DAY 7

20170228_174844.jpg

DAY 8

20170301_152025.jpg

DAY 9

20170302_165336.jpg

DAY 10

20170303_163027.jpg

DAY 11

20170304_164930.jpg

Now, the growth went straight from seed till now, but I'm having a few issues i would like to get helped with and I hope your experience and knowledge will be helpful.

As you can see I have two main problems:

Stem19.jpg

1. The stem is craking open, is that a normal process? I've never experienced that, probably because I never paid a so close attention to a single plant. I have to mention that I manually trained the stalk a bit during these days, hope I didn't cause any harm. Anyway, it feels very solid and strong at the touch.

Spots18.jpg

2. The spots on the leaves. I have to apologize, I have a mild deuteranopia, so I can't exactly distinguish the color (the rendition of my phone isn't helping), anyway those spots doesn't look normal. Could it be some kind of cal/mag deficiency or burn? There are only three only on the lowest leaves. I guessed many different causes and i then decided to buy a ph tester in order to at least fix the ph fluctuations.

Thank you in advance for the advices you will give to me and sorry for my english, I hope it's not too bad and that everything has been clear and understandable enough :)

re: Cheap & Stealthy Attempt In Soil - Royal Creamatic 2017

I wouldnt worry too much about the spotting. Waaaay to early to be concerned about deficiencies. Could be a little water splashed on the leaf. It looks small for 11 days. What made you decide upon an auto flower for your first grow? You flower out almost any photoperiod plant to stay short ans small by pruning and training. If you need any specific help dont hesitate to ask. There are a ton of great folks on here. Best of luck in all you grow!

Sent from my SM-G930V using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Thank you so much for your opinion!
Yes it is actually a little tiny for now, hope she'll get better with the extra 46W I'll be giving her on monday. About the spots, I thought it may be some kind of magnifying lens effect, but that would be odd since I pay a lot of attention in keeping leaves dry.

The main reason why I chose AF is because I need experience, I want this grow to be as quick as it possibly can, just to become familiar the plant cycle.

Its great that you are already observing the growth stages a plant goes thru. Thats easier to do with a photoperiod plant. Its good to baby your auto flower especially early on. You basically have 3 to 6 weeks to develop your plants root system and frame.

Sent from my SM-G930V using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Hey everybody,
brief update from my little plant.

DAY 14

Day_14_1_1.jpg
Day_1416.jpg

It's day 14, changed light setup yesterday with the 2 cfls, from tonight she's going to get 20/4 instead of 24/0, let's see if she can stretch up some more (she's only about 4 inches tall right now).

Overall look seems healthy tho, my guess is that the injured stem stunted the growth a bit, but it looks like she recovered pretty well, hope she's gonna be fine.

I'll be checking ph carefully starting from next watering (thursday probably) and adding some veg nutes 1/4 strenght to see the reaction.

I'm considering repotting to a bigger pot, 3 gallons/11L, but I'm concerned about doing that with autos. I guess I'll wait a bit more to be sure, but i'd be pleased to read your thoughts about it!

Hope all is well in your world.

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom