ChillAH's 1st BB X White Widow & Royal Queen Critical Grow

re: ChillAH's 1st BB X White Widow & Royal Queen Critical Grow

Yellow leaves shouldn't be a drain at all. They'll still have nutrients in them that the plant can use, and they might still be able to help with photosynthesis. I leave all my leaves on until they're completely dead and fall off on their own, or with a light touch from me.

Forgot to add, there is something pointing up in between each node of the plant. Could that be the plant showing it's sex? I will TY to get some better pics.

Here's a closeup of a node from one of my plants.
There are a few things you'll want to look for.
First, the Stipule. That's the long skinny green thing you see. These are found on male and female plants.
Next you have the calyx and pistil, which will be a female plant.
Or you might end up with round pollen sacs, which would be found on a male plant (Or sometimes found later on a female plant that grows them due to stresses, like light leaks)
2014-06-24_13-35-13_7401.jpg

Don't forget, only 1 week left to vote on this month's contests!

Hi antics,

What's in your pic I believe is what is showing on my plants. When I get in tonight I will try to post some clearer pics.

I'm glad the plant has bounced back, just letting her do her thing. The pot is getting lighter but it has been one week and a day since she has been watered. Soil is dry 2 inches down but just a little bit lower it is still fairly moist. Just waiting until the next watering, it will be just superthrive in the water mixed per direction in the bottle and that's it. Going to hold off nutes since she is in FFOF, don't think nutes will be needed for sometime. I also will check with the ppm meter to see how much is in the runoff. Does someone know the correct levels for ppm to tell if the plant used all nutrients in the soil? I really want to stay away from using nutes cause when I do it seems to throw things off drastically. But one thing I did learn is that the flush is kind of a plants "restart" button so to speak.

The CSSH I believe is growing I am just waiting for her to break surface, hopefully in the next day or 2.

I am also still waiting for the "fruit punch" strain to crack open. She has been in water for over a week and the root tip hasn't come out yet.

Now when you look for pistils (which can appear before the 12/12 switch) They will be really, really small. maybe about 1mm wide or less, and 2mm tall. The pistil will be about 1.5mm long. They will appear between the main stem, and where your branches come out, which is also where the stipules are.

I can't help with the ppm question unfortunately, no ppm meter here yet :(

If your seed hasn't popped after a week, you can take it out of the water, dry it, and roll it around in a small box lined with sandpaper (320 grit) on the bottom of the box. This will rough up the outer shell of the seed to help water get inside. I do this for all my seeds and have excellent germination rates.

Here is just a quick update pic of the plant tonight. Gotta say she has come along nicely after me doing some damage early. Thx again Antics and Pilot and anyone else I took some input from. She just keeps showing growth. Pot is getting lighter but soil is moist down in the pot, all is looking good sound I just continue to wait until she is hungry.

photo_5208.JPG
photo_1542.JPG

I thought the CSSH would pop soil today, but maybe tomorrow. I def think it should be close soon.

Antics I will give the seed in water another day, if nothing I will try what you suggested.

GM Folks,

CSSH broke soil overnight I assume, this morning I awoke to this
photo659.JPG

Does anyone else notice how the seedling is a lime green/yellow color. Not sure wth is going on, soil is 1: 1: 1 mix of FFOF, FFHF, and perlite (soil was measured out, for better gauge of soil amount). I took the plant out of the tent and put her under a CFL. I hope she can turn it around, my guess is she wasn't getting enough sun, no sun = no chlorophyll, no chlorophyll = no green color in the plant. Any tips or advice if anyone experienced this please chime in.

Thanks!

Also I am thinking of ordering some new seeds, can anyone recommend some strains. I am more of a fan of sativa dominant vs indica strains. But I do like indicas for bedtime and stress and anxiety which I have A LOT of lol. Also some that are fairly easy to grow and have high tolerance for noobs lol. I have Northern Lights on my list btw, anyone know a good seedbank for this strain?

There's a chance the soil could be too hot for that seedling. Tolerances vary between phenotypes.

For strains, I'm limited in experience, but I did pretty well with CFLs and a Royal Queen Power Flower (over 1 ounce), and Medicann Cali Jack (Over 2 ounces). Both plants were only 14" tall.

Thx Antics. She turned around, and even opened up a bit.
photo_2477.JPG
She is still under a CFL outside the tent. I will wait for the set of true leaves to come in before I put her in the tent with the Critical plant.

Speaking of which:
photo_1544.JPG

I think she is doing good. Surprisingly still doesn't need water just yet. It's been a week and 2 days before she was watered but she has been doing some growing lately. Still checking the soil and weight of the pot, soil is still a little moist, but she is feeling lighter. I suspect the next day or 2 and she will need to be watered.

Antics that is pretty good with CFL's!

Do you guys think I should be able to get 5oz dried from these 2 plants? My grow space is 48X24X60 600w. I know there are many variables, but if I keep on the same path and don't mess with them much.

As for the strains I had in mind they were :critical jack herer, train wreck from green house (open to a diff brand), Northern lights, Barneys pineapple chunk, emerald triangle super sour, or lastly some blueberry OG.

To get 5 ounces dry, you're going to want a longer Veg time for starters. I Veg'ed 6 weeks and 5 weeks on my two plants to get 3 ounces.
Plus a FIM, And a lot of LST. I also had 350+ watts in 14 CFLs.

Youre first post says you're using a 600w MH, will you be switching to a 600w HPS bulb for flower? That will help a lot.

Watering properly will help a lot as well. Ebb and Flow watering. Let the soil dry out before watering again.

You can do it for sure. That's only 2.5 ounces per plant. Just take good care of them and you can possibly even smash that 5 ounce goal.

Antics I have a 600Wmh, i thought I wouldn't need to do one of the cutting techniques to increase yield. Idk much about LST, and I know Fimming is pretty much snipping new growth, but I've never done this either.

Guess I should start doing some research on the techniques. I know I will have to keep the queen during VEG for a longer period of time so she can catch up to the other plant.

The queen will most likely get the fimming. She is an indica so I expected to flip her when she was about a foot and half tall, hopefully she will grow to about 3ft give or take a few inches.

I'm waiting for the CSSH to grow some more so I can see what she is like, what phenotype genes are dominant in her. Being a hybrid I'm not sure which direction she will take care after.

Antics did you FIM in your last grow, if you did I'll check it out to see how it effected the plant and what else I should keep an eye out for.

And will you be switching to a 600w HPS for flower?

If you check out journals from other growers, a lot of them still use training methods. And honestly, they're not bad things to know and familiarize yourself with. You never know when you might need to use them.
LST is simply using string or something to tie branches down, which forces the plant to grow OUT instead of up. After the plant reaches the size you want, you put it in flower, and slowly remove the ties as the branches stay where you want them.

I would suggest topping instead of a FIM. I tried a FIM, and they can be really difficult. Topping is much much easier, and gives similar results.

You would most likely want to top a Sativa before an Indica. Sativas will grow tall and lanky. Indicas by nature will grow short and bushy. But these traits will vary depending on the strain, and which trait is more dominant.

Height just means you need more light penetration. I got those 3 ounces from 2 plants that were only 14" tall.

I did a FIM in my last grow, and it failed, and I lost a week. Then I redid it, and it only kind of worked. One ended up more like I just topped it, the other I got 3 tops, and it took forever for 2 more tops to grow. After that experience, I'm going to top my next plant, as it's much easier to do.

That's right I will be switching when it's time for flowering. I read fimming was easier and more forgiving in regards to mistakes.

Is it possible for a sativa dominant to grow short and bushy from fimming? Or will it continue to grow lanky and so forth?

Seems like Ant I will have to try it out and learn as I go, more trial and error type thing. Hopefully the RQS Ctitical can stand more of noob ways lol.

Antics btw care to shed some light on how the led messed up your seedling?

OK nothing really to update tonight.

I think I am going to give the plants names to make describing them a little bit easier. RQS Critical = Roya and the CSSH = "Sil-Via". Roya is going strong still. Doesn't need much watering, and she is having growth all over the place now. She has growth at the inter nodes and already a brand new set of leaves sprouting from the shoots. Cannabis is pretty damn resilient. On to the pics
photo_1545.JPG

Antics you mentioned Fimming/Topping, I would do this on this part right
photo_3392.JPG
photo_2478.JPG

The top of the shoots, Fimming about 80%-90%, and topping would be the whole damn thing...

I am also looking at some vids too on the technique, they are helpful but the plants shown in the vids are a lot older and have more sets of leaves. From what I have been reading it says after about the 4th-5th set they are good to go for Fimming and Topping, can anyone confirm.

This is the best picture I can find for topping vs FIM:
492553582-57386training93.jpg

A Sativa can absolutely be trained to grow short and bushy. For indoor growing I think a short and wide plant works best. At least from my experience and results so far, that's what I feel.
This is a Sativa dominant strain I recently harvested. Only 14" tall.
2014-08-29_18-24-30_253.jpg

I'm not 100% sure of the science behind why the LED damaged my seedling and caused some slow growth, but I have seen a few people say that LEDs will do that. I had to try a little just for my own personal experience, and I learned that even if a CFL is blocking the direct LED intensity, it's still not helpful.

And yes, 4-6 nodes is what I have read as well for the perfect time to top/FIM. I have also heard from some growers who had great experience when topping, and it only slowed their plant down for 2-3 days. So it might be a strain thing, or the technique, maybe even a little luck, but something does affect how well the plant responds to each method. For me, the FIM was more difficult, but there's no reason it'll be difficult for you. It's worth a shot! Good luck on it!

Thx Antics.

Based on that pic for Fimming, I actually should cut her right now because she is in that exact stage right now. The new set of fan leaves are about to come out. I think I will make the cut and see what happens. Wish me luck.

Antics has your cure/dry completed yet from the first grow?

Here are some pics pre-FIM I will post something later post FIM. Also just wanted to get a pic in of the new leaves that are coming in below the main fan leaves.

photo_1_1_45.JPG
photo_2_1_43.JPG

Here is Sil-Via, True leaves are coming in, and she has been placed back in the tent with Roya. This morning the soil did feel a little dry to me, so I just gave Sil-Via a quick spray of some water with superthrive as soon as the lights had came on. Not a lot though, nothing more than 2 shot glass' worth. Really trying to get the proper roots this time around. I will keep an eye on her for adjustments that will need to be made. But here she is, pic taken 10min ago.

photo_3_1_32.JPG

Very quick update, as i was about to FIM Roya, She is finally showing signs that she is getting thirsty. Took long enough, a week and 4 days. I will water her along with the FIM tonight and the water will have superthrive. Don't think Nutes will be necessary yet since soil is still new and should have nutrients still left in. I will test the run off for PH and PPM.

Will post update later.

Back
Top Bottom