Chimeras White Widow Garden (First Grow)

Chimera

Hello my gardening friends.

So here's the story. I'm attempting my first grow here! I have a girlfriend with an auto-immune disease who uses medicinally. Figured I'd save some money for the both of us and grow my own!

I'm a total noob, and I'm sure to make many most heinous mistakes. That's why I'm here! To blog and share my garden with all of you experts & connoisseurs so that I might have a happy and heavy harvest!

So here's the settup.

4x3x8 grow chamber

- 440 CFM 6" outtake inline fan conv> 4" pulling from cool tube
- 435 CFM 6" intake inline fan conv> 4" circulating from outside closet
- 1000 Watt Generic metal halide bulb in magnetic ballast
- Converting to 1000 Watt Hortilux 1000w HPS enhanced spectrum in flower
- 7 White Widow seedlings from Amsterdam seed co.
- 4 First Grade mystery bag seed seedlings
- Seeding in Soil, switching to hydro at veg
- 6 site DIY Ebb & Flow system
- 2 General Hydroponics Waterfarm buckets
- Temps ranging from 78F - 85F
- Using GH Nutes 3 part on buckets & Botanicare 3 part on ebb & flow

IMG_4794_1.jpg

Secret Garden

IMG_47751.jpg

GH Buckets & Ebb & Flow

IMG_4776.jpg

Exaust & cool tube

IMG_4799_1.jpg

Intake

IMG_4791_1.jpg

Child 1 of 11, 2 weeks old (all appx. this stage)

welcome to the Party!!! Ill check out the pics. There are some amazing growers here so I dont think you will have any problems looking for help!! I love waterfarms, have alot of experience with them

So. 3rd week in an already having issues.

5 Sprouts were started 3 weeks ago under CFLs, the other 6 were started 2 weeks ago under CFLs. Over the last 4 days they have all been under the 1000 watt light, all temps kept correct.

THEY STILL HAVE NOT EVEN PUT OUT THEIR SECOND SET OF LEAVES FULLY.

Am I doing something wrong? or maybe I'm engaging in 'sprout drama'. let me know.

Chimera - Patience is a virtue!! LOL

As a general rule, it is between 5-8 days after germination to see a 2nd or 3rd set of leaves. At about 9-14 days you should have a set of "true" leaves and perhaps the start of some branching. 15-21 days and the plants will have 3 sets of true leaves and you could tip them then if not LSTing to encourage branchiness. 21-35 and depending on height restrictions if indoors, you may think about going to 12/12. Hope that helps a bit! If you could upload pictures, it may be easier for identification. :grinjoint:

Since this is your first time, you might want to rethink the idea of moving from soil to hydro when it's time to veg. Keeping it simple until you know exactly what you're doing will probably save you from unnecessary grief.

I would try a crop or two in soil from start to finish first. I think that since this is your first grow, you're just asking for trouble with what you plan on doing, but that's just my opinion.

Thanks for the advice, Anubis.

Although I've been told that before, I've already purchased everything that's needed for hydroponics, from the PH meter to the nutrients. I've read up on it immensely and have a good feed chart handy.

So even though it's a serious risk, I think it's one that I'm going to have to take.

Thanks, DGS as well. Looks like my plants are a little on the slow side, but it's not too bad. Guess I just need to be patient. :)

Thanks for the advice, Anubis.

Although I've been told that before, I've already purchased everything that's needed for hydroponics, from the PH meter to the nutrients. I've read up on it immensely and have a good feed chart handy.

So even though it's a serious risk, I think it's one that I'm going to have to take.

Thanks, DGS as well. Looks like my plants are a little on the slow side, but it's not too bad. Guess I just need to be patient. :)

You get nothing but respect from me for being ballsy enough to go with hydro for your very first grow! +reps for that alone.

You'll get plenty of good advice from the Hydroponic Masters here, so I'm guessing if you ask questions and take their advice you'll do fine.

I will DEFINITELY be following this one closely, you've piqued my curiosity.

Appreciate the confidence!

It is a bit scary going into this with hydro for the first time, as I have $100 in seeds and a month waiting for them at risk.

However, a lot of love, with good equipment, advice from hydroponic masters from the 420 crew, and a close friend who just got his degree as a horticulturalist, I have faith that this just might work out.

Status Update. Installed an extra 160 CFM fan onto the other side of my cool tube for a little extra pull, as my temps have been climbing to 85-87. This has now given me a steady temp of 82.7. Score.

Also took some pictures of the progress. While some are thriving, others seem to be growing thin second pairs of leaves. Due to heat, maybe? You tell me.

Pic_3-1.jpg

Pic_1-1.jpg

Pic_6-1.jpg

Pic_7-1.jpg

So. Got a question for you guys. My little friends are currently growing in miracle grow Organic potting soil, which, according to the bag, has 3 weeks worth of nutrients in it. I'm coming up on my third week of growing, and I'm trying to decide when to move to Hydro?

When is the earliest that I can safely move my sprouts from soil to hydroponics?

So. Got a question for you guys. My little friends are currently growing in miracle grow Organic potting soil, which, according to the bag, has 3 weeks worth of nutrients in it. I'm coming up on my third week of growing, and I'm trying to decide when to move to Hydro?

When is the earliest that I can safely move my sprouts from soil to hydroponics?

just remember those roots are going to be alot bigger than you may think, and they'll easily tear. Moving a soil plant into hydro would be muddy and messy. the plant would alot NOT have a good time, especially being younger.

If I were you, I would grow them all out, and pick mothers and use clones, OR restart the seeds in rockwool. But thats just me - I know I'd loose time and money, but I couldn't let myself transplant like that with good feelings about it I guess.

Good luck though and I'll be following along, hopefully I can lend a helping hand. :peace:

Awww, gross! Miracle grow soil is a ganja growing sin lol

I wouldnt think since its been 3 weeks its fine to move to hydro, just be careful not to mess up the taproot.:grinjoint:

my idear would be to grow out these plants out in soil(try fox farm or pro-mix)

set up my airoponic cloner(dont have one?get one or make it)

when plant are able take a cutting(or more from each)

flower the plant's in the soil container's(removing corasponding male cuttings)

now you should have nothing but female cuttings to work with for your next grow

but if you want to move your seedlings to hydro the sooner the better.Either way you have hit the ground running good luck....peace

Yeah, I bought miracle grow because I had only planned on using it for about 3 weeks.

I know that going soil is probably the best way to run this op at this point, but I'm not ready to give up on a hydro grow. Think I might take your secondary advice, Dain, and move them in ASAP.

So here's my plan. Please correct me if my newb logic is foolish. 4 of my plants currently have 5 sets of sprout leaves and are working on their 6th set, I'm planning on starting those out in the ebb & flow over the next couple days on like, 20% strength solution. If these work out, then as the other ones mature over the next week, then I will move them in too.

Bad call, or worth a try?

By the infinite grace of God, my first two little seedlings made the transplant successfully! Talk about a stressful couple of hours. 15 hours later and they are looking as happy as can be.

I also installed my new Hortilux Blue light! A great improvement from the universal home depot MH bulb that I was using. My plants now display in their actual color, which is kind of cool, although the thing puts of a bit more heat than it's counterpart.

Sprout23.jpg

Sprout14.jpg

Blue8.jpg

Alright, so maybe this isn't a big deal? but I noticed that some dark spots appeared on the leaf of the first sprout that was transplanted. Any idea what caused this? Want to make sure I'm doing this the right way.

IMG_4844_1-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom