ChronicReef's First Indoor Soil Grow w/ Herbies Feminized Lemon Kush

ChronicReef

This is my first attempt at a grow. I chose the indoor/soil method as this is strictly for personal use and just makes sense. This grow is my attempt at building a cycle that produces what I require (28 grams a month) that produces great quality buds without going too crazy on the budget. That being said, I will spare no expense to make sure my kids develop properly. Here are the details,

-Strain: Herbies Lemon Kush Feminized (indica) & Herbies White Widow x Skunk #1 Feminized
-# of plants = 3
-Cycle: Currently in veg, I have 1 clone Lemon Kush vegging since 9/25, a lemon kush that popped from the soil on 10/7, and 1 White widow x Skunk #1 also popped on 10/7
-Indoor Grow
-Soil: Fox Farms Ocean Forest
-Pot Size: Undetermined, will probably end up using 5 gallon pots or bags
-Light: Currently using 1 125w 6400k spectrum CFL, will be adding more later. Originally from planting in soil they were on a 24/7 light cycle, on 10/18/2013 I switched to 18/6.
-Cooling: Currently I just have a small fan blowing on the plants within a decent sized room.
-Temps: 84 to 88, fluctuates daily and lately has been closer to 84 consistently.
-Humidity: about 64% on average naturally
-PH: Soil's default is 7, been watering with water that has a PH of 6.5 using PHdown.
-Pests: None yet....
-Nutrients: Undetermined for now, using nothing at the moment.

So now on to what's been accomplished so far. From the beginning, I received 2 clippings from Shrubhub's lemon kush grow, dipping the stem in a rooting agent and then put them in small round pots as you can see in this picture.

On 10/4/13, I soaked 6 seeds in little water dishes to soften the shell for about 24 hours, then placed them in the soil about a half inch down (without making contact with any hand oils) and placed solo cups over top of the pots to increase humidity in the beginning. The seeds were 3 bag seeds, 2 lemon kush seeds, 1 ww x skunk. Of all 6 seeds, only 2 successfully popped the soil and survived. 2 popped up but immediately died and were yellow. The rest never popped up at all. The survivors from the seeds were the Lemon Kush and White widow. So those mixed in with the clone lemon kush gives my first grow a total of 3 plants. 1 of the original Lemon Kush clones died shortly after it was planted, as pictured alove. Not sure exactly why he died and the other clone made it, they were treated about the same. Maybe it needed more of the stem in the dirt to form a better root structure? It was a smaller clipping than the other lemon kush clone, plus Shrubhub had them sitting in his flower cycle for about 2 weeks before I could put them in my setup. It is possible that I may order more seeds and let these 3 veg longer as the new seeds catch up, but that will be decided in a couple days.

I also had an issue (only for 1 day) of the surviving LK clone dropping. I knew it couldn't be from over-watering, as i was very cautious about that, so i instead under-watered. I have since figured out the right balance. There was also a giant bug sitting atop like he was king. Luckily this guy was already in the room when i initially set it up, this room doesn't have a bug problem at the moment.

This picture was taken on 10/10/13

So with him removed and the plant watered, it quickly sprung back up into a healthy state. Some of the original leaves near the bottom of the clone died and I eventually clipped them off to keep from attracting bugs and just to clean the plant up a bit.

Fast-forward a week and a half to 10/21/2013, and I feel there has been satisfactory growth in that time across all 3. I have had no issues since the picture on 10/10/13. I just switched to a 18/6 light cycle, and in just 3 days i noticed a faster amount of growth, is that because they are stretching when its dark? I feel they are stretching perfectly at the current light cycle.

Well that's where I'm at as of now. I intend to update this journal every 2 or 3 days, and answer any feedback daily. I hope you will subscribe to my journal, would love to hear all input and suggestions and hopefully one day turn pro and return the favor. If there is something i left out that you would like to know, please ask. I want to make this as detailed as possible but i'm learning as I go, so I'm sure there will be things that I just don't know about yet. I will say that I have plans at the beginning of November to greatly modify the grow room. I plan to add a enclosed tent like setup on one half that is for a Flower cycle, and have the veg plants growing simultaneously outside of the enclosure like it already is above. The room is big enough to allow this, and its conveniently located in a spot where I can add ventilation to the outside world. That's a project i'm excited for. Also, check out Shrubhub's grow journal that is currently in progress for a similar operation. Shrub's journal is what got me to do my own!

Thanks for viewing!

1378137489432.jpg
1378137279086.jpg

First two clone clippings. Good lookin journal man + reps on starting one.

subd,

i think you would do better with the clones with a clear dome over them, you need the light to keep the plant alive, keeping them in the dark will stop the plant from growing,

The dome was on the pots with the seeds the had not sprouted yet, when he got the clone it was under a clear dome that was the size of the pot and it was removed soon after. Donpaul can you link the picture of the revenged plant you were showing in a different post? This plant stopped growing off the mainstem and all the growth you see is from side shoots.

which pics, ive posted a few in a few places,
PICT2291.JPG

monster_cropped.jpg

PICT2289.JPG

them ones or was it another of mine, i got a big one somewhere. let me and ill try and find it, those are some of the ones ive posted recently.

These pictures were just taken this morning, looks like some nice growth in the last 6 days. Temps are getting lower, this morning they were at 73 and stay around that most of the day. Humidity around 45%. Will have to do something to ensure the temps stay higher. It's getting cold outside!

Help! The WW is looking very sickly. It looks like either nitrogen deficiency possibly from high PH, or underwatering. I do not personally think it was underwatering because I watered the night before this happened. Then I woke up yesterday and overnight the White Widow looks horrible.

I tested the water runoff of the WW and the PH was around 7, so I'm watering with a lower PH water now to aim for 6.5, which i retested and is now 6.5. The thing that I don't understand is how my 2 liter of 6.5PH water is now testing a little higher than 7. Does water that sits around awhile naturally rise in PH? Anyone have any tips as to what else i should do, if anything?

Here are a 3 additions, these were recycled from Shrubhubs first grow. We are trying to reveg these 3 and see what comes of it.

That's the current update. I'm currently at the end of week 4 of veg.

Hi mate, when i mix up a batch of nutes the ph changs over a 24 hour period, mine starts of low then comes into range about 24 hours later, but even when the ph is off ive not had issues with my soil grown plants, i have problems with dwc plants with the ph not been in right range but i find soil plants are fine if the ph is slightly off, my tap water is ph 7 and thats what my plants get for the first 4 to 6 weeks of life as my compost dont need nutrients for at least 4 weeks, i can give nutes from week 2 of growth but its not needed

what are your temps like, the edges of the leaves cupping up suggest the temps are a tad on the high side or maybe you got a fan thats blowing on the plant to much and causing it to dry out, but then the puffy leaves suggest its overwatered,

are you letting the pot totally dry our between waterings, the pots need to pretty much be totally dry before you water, then when you water the plants water them slow else it just runs out the bottom of the pots

i dont think the ph is going to be an issue else the other plants would be suffering the same problems, id say its either down to temps or down to overwatering, the roots need oxygen as much as they need water, overwatering will give you nute lockouts which looks like ph problems, but no matter what i give my soil plants they always seem to do ok, hydro and dwc is a different story but ive never found ph to be an issue with soil grown plants,

Donpaul - I think you are spot on with the over-watering and the fan. I did have a fan blowing directly on them 24/7. Even though the fan was on the lowest setting, it probably was a bit much. I have since adjusted the fan. As for watering, I almost always wait for the pot to be completely dried out before re-watering, however there was an instance or two were I would water slightly earlier when I was going to be away for a period of time. I'll make sure to back off on the watering. Temps are averaging about 75 - 80 Fahrenheit. In a week or two I should probably start watering with nutes, it's getting near the end of week 5 of veg.

Also I had very tiny white flies flying around the plants so I sprinkled down to DE and that seems to have cleared that up.

Here are some picture updates taken an hour ago on 11/12/13

It's been a good while since an update, and a lot has been accomplished! I apologize for the delay.

I have enclosed the grow area and I now have a room dedicated to this hobby. I have recently purchased the following in conjunction with what I already had;

1 250 Watt CFL 2700k
1 250 Watt CFL 6500k
1 Grow Tent
1 Light Hood
1 Inline 4" duct fan
1 Pair of Adjustable Grow Light Rope Ratchet Hangers.

The Room: I've set up the room to have one half be a veg cycle with one reflective hood, and the other half is a 2x2" grow tent. I am working on ventilating the grow tent properly, right now the inline fan is just protruding out of the top of the tent. Soon I am going to run 4" ducting out of the room from the top of the tent to properly vent, and this will vent both the tent and the grow room. There is still plenty of air flow at the moment and the temps are around 75 degrees F and the humidity at 80%.

Cycles: The plan is to always have 2 cycles going at once, one veg and one flower. The tent has the veg cycle in it for now, but once I decide to flower the first round of plants, I'm going to switch the tent to flower and leave it that way. I have installed the 250 Watt CFL 6400k in the tent now, and it seems to light up the plants nicely.

Nutrients: About a week ago I decided to try FloraGro nutes at 1/4 the recommended strength on the original 6 plants. I'm going to hold off a little longer before I use them again on the White Widow, it seems that plant isn't ready since the top newer leaves started showing weird green patterns. The rest seemed to have taken the nutrients fine. I have also re-potted 5 of the 6 plants into 3 gallon plastic pots, and they immediately showed growth. I am still using the fox farm soil as before.

Clones: I have clipped 6 clones 1 week ago today, 12/7/13. They all have seemed to survive thus far. The clones are 3 WWxSkunk#1 and 3 LemonKush. 1 of the LK Clones is a top from the original plant, and there is also a WW clone that is from the top of the WW original. I used humidity domes on all 6 and still have them on. I mist the plants and the top of the soil lightly several times a day. I used Hormex rooting powder and I dipped the clippings right in the bottle.

Here are some Pictures:

This was taken on 11/20/13
IMG_014027.JPG

This was taken on 11/29/13, about a week after I re-potted to 3 gallon pots.
IMG_015629.JPG

The following pics were taken 12/11/13:

This is the LK (the original LK seedling) now topped, you can see white pistols up close. We'll call this plant LK#1 from now on.
IMG_037318.JPG

IMG_037419.JPG

This is the 2 headed LK clone from Shrubhubs grow. This is my favorite but don't tell the others I said that. We'll refer to this one as LK#2
IMG_037818.JPG

Here is the Original Seedling WWxSkunk#1, we'll refer to this one as WW#1
IMG_037622.JPG

Here you can see the other 2 plants from Shrubhub's grow, they seem to be re-vegging nicely. The big one and the tiny one to the right are the ones I'm referring to.
IMG_037915.JPG

Group Shot
IMG_038019.JPG

This was taken today, right after I placed the veg cycle temporarily in the tent.
IMG_038819.JPG

Here is the inline duct fan as it stands.
IMG_038922.JPG

That should be everything. I'll make sure to update more often, especially since the fun part is about to begin. I plan to flower right after the holidays. Thanks for reading!

Here's an update on the grow.

Not much has changed, although the plants are all still in Veg and I'm feeding the plants the same ratio of the Floragro nutes. White fly problem seems to still be under control, lucked out there. The plants all have a nice canopy forming under the light. I ordered an additional 42 watt CFL 2700k for lower lighting in the tent when I start the flowing cycle real soon (I mean it this time! i was waiting on some additional supplies before I begin flower). No signs of Ph/nute problems as of today, over the last couple weeks there were a couple yellow leaves, nothing alarming. The plants have been topped again and I took some of the clippings and made more clones. There are now 7 clones alive, only 2 survived of the original 6 clones I made. The 5 new clones are all under a humidity dome, pictured below. The 4 original clones that died was due to me not using a proper humidity dome.

Here are some pics:

Here is the LK Clone #2, looking amazing, taken 1/27/14.

Here is the LK Clone #1, looking ok, taken 1/27/14. The fan leaves of this one always looked pruned, no matter what. (not the best pic)

Here is the White Widow x Skunk #1, taken 1/27/14. Lower leaves appear brown in pic, I assure you they are not.

Here are the Re-veg plants, taken 1/27/14. When you look at the re-vegs in person, they look better than what the pictures show.

Group Shot, taken 2/2/14

Newest 5 Clones, taken 2/2/14

Flower Cycle: Now that I can see 6 plants is too much for a 2x2, I'm going to flower only 3 at a time. I will start with 2 of the re-vegs and the White-Widow x Skunk #1, and flower for about 2 months. I will have 292 Watts of 2700k CFLs running.

That's it for this update!

Back
Top Bottom