ChunkyChunder's First Solo Grow

OK - here are the latest pics. I've trimmed most of the yellow leaves and tidied up a little since I took them. Not too bad considering I've got a crushing hangover :thedoubletake:

P1000004.JPG
P1000005.JPG
P1000006.JPG
P10000071.JPG
P10000082.JPG

I love this camera! Gonna take it out later and be a c**t.

btw - this is Gladys.

Thanks for the tips. I will get them out tomorrow and give them all a good trimming. They are cramped for space mostly due to my oxy-pot experiment. Gonna leave it for a couple of weeks but may abandon it. Next grow I will have 3 soil and 1 hydro. If things work out the way I hope they will and based on what I have studied, the grow after that (if all goes well) will be 4 hydro. If THAT works out ok I will go for a whole new DWC system in a larger tent.

Starting to smell a bit now. With warmer weather approaching and the smell increasing I need to get more air out. Gonna get one of these:

pk15.jpg

Larger with 2-speed switch.

Well, I've give them all a trim this morning. Gave them all water (2-3L). Here are the latest pics:

P10000191.JPG
P10000181.JPG
P10000173.JPG
P10000162.JPG
P10000143.JPG
P10000132.JPG
P10000122.JPG
P10000111.JPG

Luath (the little hydro) does not seem to be doing so well. I emptied and cleaned out the bucket this morning - lot of gunge on the bottom and around the bubbler. Also the roots, although there are plenty of them, seem to be in one big lump. Maybe the gunge is responsible for this? Anyway, cleared the bucket out, cleaned it and put in fresh water+nutes.

luath1.JPG

ok mate back with you now. not had much 420 time recently. bloody real world baggage slowing down progress again tying up my time. ah well, such is life, lol.

wanna give me a breakdown of the situation with your hydro.
water temps.
what air pump rating
what size
whats going into the tank and how often are you changing it.
PH reading and how often are you checking it.
can you read ppm or EC?
are you just giving nutes or adding enzymes or..?

not much can beat dwc for speed of growth if dialled in right =)

what camera do you have. good pictures. I just got a new one. a sony nex -3. hope for better bud shots than with old one. it did not even have a close up setting. great looking plants.

Don't have the equipment to measure any of those things - even water temperature. Am using BioBizz BioHeaven following amount from a chart. The bucket is 17L max, but there is 15L in there at the moment.

The hydro was only intended as a little experiment. I thought I'd have room in the tent as I did not think the plants that were injured were going to recover so well. They could now do with the extra room, but I just wanted to see what the growth rate on the hydro would be. Obviously things are not perfect.

Don't have the equipment to measure any of those things - even water temperature. Am using BioBizz BioHeaven following amount from a chart. The bucket is 17L max, but there is 15L in there at the moment.

The hydro was only intended as a little experiment. I thought I'd have room in the tent as I did not think the plants that were injured were going to recover so well. They could now do with the extra room, but I just wanted to see what the growth rate on the hydro would be. Obviously things are not perfect.

how full is the bucket with roots? you got plenty of room in there still? got an idea.

Plenty of room in there still.

if you cant measure ppm and ph and cant chill your water then i reccomend using something like pop bottles to displace 10 litres of volume. then you can make a fresh batch of a mere 5l of fresh nutes and swap the rez twice as often.

this method will actually save you around 33% of the nutes your using now, keep your average water temprature lower on a daily basis and since the ph starts low and rises with depletion, this will tighten the variation to a degree.
if you happen to have some i would throw in 0.5ml of ph down too just to bring you closer. or a couple of drops of lemon juice.

your almost certainly running with a ph between 6.5 - 7 with your tap water after adding nutes.

over all your workload will get a little more frequent but a lot lighter and it should make some improvements to your hydro till you can start getting control equipment. =)

Have I got this right? Remove 10L and replace a fresh 5L+nutes.

Then, every few days, remove 5L and replace with 5L+nutes.

Have scoured the net for the best hydro nutes but of course, opinion varies greatly. People can only comment on what they've actually used and it's hard to find an impartial comparison. However, these come highly recommended and I will be using them for my next try at hydro:

Capture96.JPG

Advanced Nutrients pH Perfect - Micro, Grow and Bloom.

yeah basically same deal as the water tank for a toilet, i put bricks in my tank so that i use less water for each flush.
put something in the bucket that can displace 10 liters. so when its 'empty' you only need to add around 5 litres to hit the full mark.

this part is only to do with saving your energy and the cost of wasted nutes while your winging it. but for hydro you MUST get a ph meter, ppm or ec meters are optional in your method, but the longer you want to leave it between water changes the more important it is to have a ec OR ppm reader to help you know they are not starving.

....but dont be fooled by the marketing.
its only ph perfect if its mixed with ph perfect water ;)

So I need a pH meter for sure and perhaps some pH up/down?

PH Down and a PH meter are considered a must to almost all hydro growers. they are as important as the bucket itself ;)

Thanks for your help - much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom