ClosetPharmer's DIY Cabinet With LED - King Kong & Critical Super Silver Haze

Looking great, I see you have your eight nodes/mains, your set. When you see growth start, clip a few more leaves and your on your way. I want to try 16 Outdoors, or maybe 32, haven't decided yet. It really depends on where I'm at in the cycle before August.

Looking great, I see you have your eight nodes/mains, your set. When you see growth start, clip a few more leaves and your on your way. I want to try 16 Outdoors, or maybe 32, haven't decided yet. It really depends on where I'm at in the cycle before August.
I'm jealous, I wish growing outside was an option for me. But suburban life in a state with archaic cannabis laws doesn't allow for that. So for now I'll have to stay in the closet :)

Quick photo update, they have continued to impress me how quickly they rebound to the torture I've inflected them to.
The 8 mains are all starting to show.

Here's CSSH:
image21749.jpg

And here's King Kong:
image21750.jpg

All of the clones are still alive and I hope to move them under the direct LED light in about a week. Currently they are shaded from it by a while plastic cover.

Ooooo, they're setting up nicely. Look at that rich green in the leaves! King Kong looks like it's going to turn into a beautifully symmetrical structure and the leaves on your CSSH remind me of the paws on a Great Dane puppy! :laughtwo::green_heart:

woah good job with the cloning. The training is coming along really well!
Thanks CC, I'm really testing the swick method as I'm out of town for a few days. I filled the containers to the max before I left, hoping all is well with them. This is one of the reasons I wanted to use this method, the possibility of being able to leave them unattended for a few days.

I guessing I won't recognize them when I get back as they grow and change so quickly. Expect a major photo update Friday evening ;-)

The plants will be fine. You will be pleasantly surprised at how effectively the SWICK operates.

Time for a photo update :cheer:

The SWICK method is definately working well. I was out of town for 7 days and the plants did fine with no intervention and there was still a littlie bit of water in the tubs. What a difference a week makes, these girls do grow and change fast!

The last photos posted above were from 3/20/15, these were taken on 3/27/15.

King Kong
image22258.jpg

CSSH
image22259.jpg

The clones are hanging in there have been in soil for 20 days.
image22261.jpg

I transplanted them into 2 gal smart pots but was surprized that they hadn't grown any roots. They are still alive but don't know if they'll make it. I had them covered so they weren't getting the full light of the LED, but they are now in their new pots. Hopefully they will grow some roots. I added some of Doc Buds Transplant powder when I planted them, maybe that'll add the magic I need.

Here they are in their new pots. CSSH
image22264.jpg

King Kong
image22265.jpg

Today I added the tomato cages and started training them so that 6 of the mains will go around the outside and 2 mains in the center. I trimmed a bit of the leaves from the area where the last topping was done.

Here's King Kong
image22266.jpg

And CSSH
image22267.jpg

So from here on out it will be a matter of training them grow around the tomato cage evenly.

I'm thrilled that the SWICK worked so well for you. Makes trips much less stressful, eh? I like the tomato cage idea. I was looking at the ones they sell for peonies thinking hmmmmmm.

Your closet is looking wonderful. It's going to start to get really exciting now. :laughtwo::green_heart:

Photo Update time:
Well, the poor little clone attemps haven't rooted. They were taken 31 days ago and put directly into soil. Amazingly, the tops are still green and the plants haven't died yet. Without roots I don't know they are making it.

I took them out of the soil to check for roots. Finding none, I decided to trim them closer to the top. I took off another 2-3 inches and scraped the stalk. Figured I had nothing to lose. I was hoping I was going to be able to place cuttings directly into soil to root them. What can I say? I'm lazy ;-)

On to the photos - first up King Kong and it's sad little clone attempts. King Kong is responding really well to mainlining/fluxing or whatever it's called. In another week it'll be to the rim of the cola cage (also know as tomato cage).
image22932.jpg

CSSH is not meant for mainlining I don't think. It has been very slow since sprouting. It is 10 days older than King Kong. They are 67 and 57 days old today.
image22934.jpg

Here's the wide view of the cabinet. I'm still surprized at how smelly the CSSH is and we're only in the veg. Guessing it is going to be really pungent in flower. We'll see..
image22936.jpg

I'm really happy with how well the SWICK/LOS is working, the girls look really healthy to me. Here's a closer shot of King Kong followed by CSSH
image22937.jpg

image22938.jpg

I'm torn about whether to defoliate anymore. I think it might be the thing to do.. I'll give them a couple more days and see.

Cheers
:Namaste:

:welcome:
Time for a mini update; literally. My clone wantabes are 36 days from when they were taken. They haven't died but they haven't developed roots. 5 days ago I trimmed the stems down (there were no roots). Made sure the cut was @ 45 degree angle and I also scraped a bit of the skin of the stem off in hopes of increasing roots. I think there is some very small new growth in the centers now. But it may just be wishful thinking. The other plants are just about ready to go to 12/12 light schedule. But I keep hoping that the clones will finally take.. Am I crazy to think that they might at this late date develop roots?

Here's King Kong Clones 1 & 2
image23279.jpg

image23280.jpg

And here are CSSH Clones 1 & 2

image23282.jpg

image23281.jpg

And here is the full cabinet 7 days ago on the 11th of April

image23240.jpg

Thanks for checking out my journal

ClosetPharmer, have you ever tried aloe vera for cloning? It apparently is very effective if the clones are planted directly into LOS.

Cloning with aloe - Natural and easy cloning for cheap

The only one illustrated is done with reconstituted powder. It works better when you use a fresh aloe vera fillet. Just slice it open and run the clone stem through the gel. Get a nice coating and plant. Worth a try.

I'm always cautious about defoliation. I know it has it's place in the minds of many successful growers, but I'm most impressed with the evidence Doc Bud has shared that defoliation reduces the brix reading of the plant. Since I read a high brix reading as a sign of ultimate health, the implications were clear to me. I try not to defoliate at all, choosing to supplement the lighting with some strategically placed side lighting.

Those leaves are there for a reason. I would prefer a slightly smaller but more potent harvest. Just a personal preference. Everyone finds their own comfort zone.

"puddle of green". That was good. :laughtwo::green_heart:

Time for a long over due photo update!

I flipped the lights to flower on 4/18, I wanted to do it on 4/20 but was out of town. Excited to be starting the flowering phase. They are 9 days into flower and I think they are going through the stretch. My goal is to train them so 6 colas go outside of the cola-cage and 2 inside. I took 4 more cuttings before flipping the lights.

Here's the cabinet:
image24179.jpg

King Kong is on the left, CSSH on the right. Note the living mulch is doing much better than my first attempts at cloning. Weird thing is the clones, are still green not wilted but also not growing.

Here are close ups of King Kong
image24180.jpg

CSSH
image24181.jpg

And finally here the cuttings all from King Kong and now also 9 days old.
image24182.jpg

I noticed several days ago that the clones were very cold. The temp while the lights are on runs around 70 but in the dark it goes to the low 60's. My cabinet is sitting on concrete in a basement and I'm wondering if the cold has slowed things down especially for the clones. I picked up a warming mat for seedlings and have placed it under the clones. We'll see if that makes a difference.

That's all for now, keep it green ;-)

I hope the clones take for you this time. Ever thought to water them with coconut water? Not that I've ever seen it done, it just crossed my mind while I was typing. I use it in part to stimulate vigorous root development.

Your bushes are looking incredible ClosetPharmer. The size of the fan leaves on that King Kong is breathtaking. They're so healthy looking. Good work.

So, the tomato cages. Is your intent to open up the interior space for air circulation? If so, that might give you more incentive to avoid defoliation. It's a brilliant idea.

Thanks SweetSue, I used aloe vera when I took the last group of cuttings but haven't done much with extra feeding or drenches. I did pick up Doc Bud's kit and have used de-stress as foliar spray. I am waiting for my next run to try out his products. I'm heeding his warning to use his stuff on soil based on the HP Pro mix, that it's less effective on other soils. I may give coconut/aloe vera a try however. Been kind of curious as to how well the plants will do solely with water and LOS. It would make a better comparison to using the high brix system. I am after all a lazy gardener and trying to keep it as simple as possible :)

BlueJay mentioned the other day that the only foliar he's used on his garden for years now was a karanja oil and Agsil 16H every 7-10 days for integrated pest management. Foliars aren't as effective on LOS pots in the same way they are with HB. I haven't figured it all out yet, so I can't say why. More study is needed on my part.

:oops:
CRAP!!! I went to check on the girls last night and found that I had left my work light on inside the cabinet so they missed their 13 hours of dark yesterday!! What a rookie mistake! Maybe the idea of using a light other than the LED when tending to the plants is not such a good idea...

Hopefully, one day with no night won't screw them up too much (fingers and toes crossed)

I've got mine crossed as well ClosetPharmer.

Back
Top Bottom