Coco 4x2 tent: 3gal vs 5gal

Hi guys,

I'm currently planning my next grow hoping not making any mistake. I was looking for answers on the net about smartpots. Regarding my space 4x2x5, I m considering growing too plants. I tried different options before and it looks like I ll have better but devopment with max of two plants maximizing the space. I read on another forum that some people were reporting having better results with coco in small containers (especially smartpot). From what they say, the best way to take advantage of coco is to avoid too big pots which seem useless (whereas the bigger in soil seems to be the best). It looks like the pot size matters more for the veg period but as soon as flowering having smaller coco pots allow better wet/dry cycles and allow more frequent waterings. It makes sense to me. So I'm still wondering if I should go with 2x 3gal pots or 5. It s looking at this picture :

20190128_060825.jpg

This pic by @Preston9mm reminded me @Asesino85 saying once that he wouldn't grow in coco pots over than (don't remember the size but it was under 7gal for sure) cause it was a waste regarding its space. So all of this brought me to the other forum's thread when different members were praising better results in smaller coco smartpots repeating again and again that the best way to truly take advantage of coco was to avoid unnecessary big containers.

I would like to here your thoughts about that as it will help me decide

I grow in 3.8 US gal grow bags. Four plants in a 2' X 4' tent. My medium is 70% coco / 30% perlite. My first grow was 5.1oz, the last one 8 oz. I found the 5' high tents too low for NugBucket's Mainline / Manifold method. The plants always grew into or above the light, even with it as high as possible in the tent. I've upgraded to a Gorilla clone tent 7' - 8' tall.

full
Caged 3.8 US gal Grow Bags - Day 20 of Flower, First Grow

Thanks for sharing. I m also doing 4 plants currently but from what I m seing I ll yield less than previous grow with bigger plants. So I think for that space 2 plants will allow better bud development. 4 plants makes it crowded and impossible to grow big buds

I m also curious to know what's the best yield is achievable in that space. My last run I could get 9oz from only half of the space with 3 big plants fighting for space. The other half suffered too much from heat stress and gave a bit over 2oz. Also bud quality was seems better to me with more veg and for sure makes trimming easier. I m looking at the small buds of my current grow and already know it will be a bit of work to trim. Big buds with good space like @Preston9mm Buddha gift plant are a pleasure to trim using dry trimming method. On the contrary tiny buds makes it so hard plus the reward is small. So I m still trying to find the best way to opzimize my next grow and find the sweet spot. I know there is one that will allow good size buds, quality and the best quantity possible regarding the space

Hi guys,

I'm currently planning my next grow hoping not making any mistake. I was looking for answers on the net about smartpots. Regarding my space 4x2x5, I m considering growing too plants. I tried different options before and it looks like I ll have better but devopment with max of two plants maximizing the space. I read on another forum that some people were reporting having better results with coco in small containers (especially smartpot). From what they say, the best way to take advantage of coco is to avoid too big pots which seem useless (whereas the bigger in soil seems to be the best). It looks like the pot size matters more for the veg period but as soon as flowering having smaller coco pots allow better wet/dry cycles and allow more frequent waterings. It makes sense to me. So I'm still wondering if I should go with 2x 3gal pots or 5. It s looking at this picture :

20190128_060825.jpg

This pic by @Preston9mm reminded me @Asesino85 saying once that he wouldn't grow in coco pots over than (don't remember the size but it was under 7gal for sure) cause it was a waste regarding its space. So all of this brought me to the other forum's thread when different members were praising better results in smaller coco smartpots repeating again and again that the best way to truly take advantage of coco was to avoid unnecessary big containers.

I would like to here your thoughts about that as it will help me decide
I'll make a small correction to this but for my normal grows where I grow 3-4 plants in a tent and veg for about 5 weeks I won't go over 5 gallon. When I do 4 in a tent with coco I think they get plenty big with 3 gallon.

As you know, my Tangerine Dream is by herself in a 4x4' tent but you may not know it's in a 7 gallon. The catch to using the 7 gallon is that I had to veg for 9 weeks. So you can use larger pot sizes but it just will increase veg time.I don't see the need to ever go above a 7 gallon but how many people are doing one plant in a 4x4' tent? Not many.

Honestly my recommendation is this:
If you are going to do 4 plants in a 4'x4' area I'd do them in 3 gallon fabric pots. Veg for 5-6 weeks.
If you are going to do 2 plants in a 4'x4' area I'd do them in 5 gallon fabric pots. Veg for 7-9 weeks.
If you are going to do 1 plant in a 4'x4' area I'd do it in a 7 gallon. Veg for 9-10 weeks.

I'll make a small correction to this but for my normal grows where I grow 3-4 plants in a tent and veg for about 5 weeks I won't go over 5 gallon. When I do 4 in a tent with coco I think they get plenty big with 3 gallon.

As you know, my Tangerine Dream is by herself in a 4x4' tent but you may not know it's in a 7 gallon. The catch to using the 7 gallon is that I had to veg for 9 weeks. So you can use larger pot sizes but it just will increase veg time.I don't see the need to ever go above a 7 gallon but how many people are doing one plant in a 4x4' tent? Not many.

Honestly my recommendation is this:
If you are going to do 4 plants in a 4'x4' area I'd do them in 3 gallon fabric pots. Veg for 5-6 weeks.
If you are going to do 2 plants in a 4'x4' area I'd do them in 5 gallon fabric pots. Veg for 7-9 weeks.
If you are going to do 1 plant in a 4'x4' area I'd do it in a 7 gallon. Veg for 9-10 weeks.

Thanks for this recap Ase! I guess for my space I can divide by 2 so it seems in fact I d better go for 3gal for two plants in 4x2.

It looks like the pot size matters more for the veg period but as soon as flowering having smaller coco pots allow better wet/dry cycles and allow more frequent waterings.
There is no "dry" cycle when using coco. I start in 1ltr pots and transplant to 9.2ltr pots - I feed daily in veg and twice a day in flower. The reason you can grow in smaller pots with coco is because of the daily feeding - it's hydroponics.

There is no "dry" cycle when using coco. I start in 1ltr pots and transplant to 9.2ltr pots - I feed daily in veg and twice a day in flower. The reason you can grow in smaller pots with coco is because of the daily feeding - it's hydroponics.

I feed twice a day from the start. Seedlings in 1/2 liter pots get fed with a shot glass, and by flowering in 14.6 liter caged grow bags they'll get two or more cups (500ml +). In coco, you always feed until you get run off.

Yeah exactly! Thanks for sharing guys. From what I ve understood so far is that to really take advantage of coco you need to be watering at least everyday. Otherwise it means your container is too big and you re not really doing hydro. That's the mistake I made In my current grow and is ending with small buds. Thanks for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom