Could Really Use Assistance on How To Best Utilize the Space I Have in My Small Cabin

Re: Could Really Use Assistance on How To Best Utilize the Space I Have in My Small C

The Kelvin scale is an indication of the visible light spectrum. Higher Kelvin temps means more blue and lower temps means more red. We are using artificial light to mimic the natural changes of the seasons for our indoor plants. During vegetative growth, the higher kelvin temps (blues) are best. During flowering we want those lower reds to simulate the fall. It's ok to combine both but it is best to make the right one dominant during the right stage of growth. When using CFL's nothing special is needed. Simply go to the nearest hardware store and get cool white(blue) bulbs for the veg and soft white(red) for flowering. The more watts the better. One light per plant will get you through the first couple weeks. You can buy splitters and add bulbs as they grow.

Multiple CFLs hanging all over can be a hassle but there are benefits as well. They produce very little heat which is why you can have them so close to your plants. Little heat also means that you can place bulbs strategically (as you curiously pointed out) to maximize light penetration w/out the worries of frying everything up. They're cheap and long lasting--I'm still using bulbs that I bought 5 years ago. They also use less electricity and eliminate the need for a ballast. The pitfalls of the cfl is that their Kelvin temps can't compete with the HID/HPS. However, you will pay out in terms of cash and other hassles that go along w/ the HID/HPS set-up. These things get hot, very hot, and this will mean that more attention--and money--will be needed to manage that. Also keep in mind that the bulbs for the HID/HPS can range from $20 on the cheap to $80+ on the higher end and they should be changed regularly (every 6 months at least) because they put out less light as they age. Another thing to consider is that working in that small a space 2 400watt lights probably wont work. One 400watt would cover that area w/ ease. A 600watt system would be pushing it but doable. I use a 300Watt cool white cfl for vegging and a 400watt hps to flower in my 3x3x6 tent.

Fox Farms works and is beginner friendly. Just start off using 1/4 of the recommended doses and work your way up. Avoid Miracle Grow whenever possible as cannabis doesn't respond well w/ most of their products. As w/ almost everything there are pros and cons to using soil from the back yard. Considering that I'm a city dweller and don't have much experience growing farmer style I cant say much about your soil. I buy Fox Farms Ocean Forest.

I've never had to order seeds being the spoiled CA resident that I am. Can't help much on that front. It's probably best to secure some ASAP.

Re: Could Really Use Assistance on How To Best Utilize the Space I Have in My Small C

Unfortunately Tan, it all comes down to funds. Until I get my military retirement when I'm 62, I'm stuck with a below poverty level monthly disability check. Even though I seem to have done well with the tent, I don't know if I can get a complete 400 watt HID system including bulbs hammered out and seeds as well. Not unless I want to thrum my fingers waiting for months to pass me by. I truly need to get this undertaking complete before winter, because then money needs to be diverted towards heating diesel.

When it comes to the 400w HID, I should only need one, right? Both bulbs MH and HPS sit in the ballast together and I have no need to change bulbs, other to raise the reflector as the plants grow? The only other thing I can think of besides that is a good ventilation fan, FoxFarms soil (Which one I have no idea), and Fox Farms nutrients. Oh lets not forget the soil Ph tester lol! Where will I find the money asked the blind beggar. Look for it answered the deaf mute!

Gadfly,

Warfare and trauma wounds, I'm and expert. Picking out the right CFL I'm more ignorant than a horses ass. When I walk into that store, or for that matter go online and order, how will I be able to tell Kelvin blues for veggie growth from the Kelvin reds for flowers growth? I know I will need to buy wired receptacles to hang them from, but do I need to go the extra mile and by a big round reflector as well. I apologize for my ignorance. Everywhere I search it seems people assume everyone knows that much and overlooks that information.

Thank you.

:Namasre:

Jeff

P.S I lived in Cali for 15 years while I was married. I had a home in Elk Grove, south of Sacramento. I miss it very much. Wife left me while I was in Iraq and sold it out from under me. I still have fond memories of the parties in Old Sac, and the winetasting trips to Napa and Sonoma.

When it comes to the 400w HID, I should only need one, right? Both bulbs MH and HPS sit in the ballast together and I have no need to change bulbs, other to raise the reflector as the plants grow?

You will need either two individual set-ups or one that is specifically MH/HPS interchangeable.

Cool White=more blue light. Soft White=more red light.

If you're on a tight budget just go to any hardware store and buy the one's w/ the highest/lowest temps you can find. If the bulbs don't advertise that go w the cool/soft label as a guideline and get the highest watts possible. You can only work w/ what you have access to. CFLs bulbs online that are marketed towards growers will likely advertise the Kelvin rating more prominently, but they will also cost more and you will likely need some kind of reflector/or adapter that you will pay for. My 300watt CFL wont fit on Grandma's lamp. The reflectors are recommended, but not necessary. Some of the more ingenious DIYers here have built their own reflectors out of old soda cans and other materials.

I do see where they offer 6700k and 2700k CFL's, but I'm confused by the wattage of each. I have read where they recommend 42 watts, butt these range from 125 watt all the way to 300 watt? Am I missing something? This is what I am looking at.

Thank you.

Jeff

I use LED lights for one of my grow rooms. DormGrow.com (it might be dorm-grow.com but google it and you will find your way) sells LED lights via amazon through their partner G8LED; in addition to a decent product they offer great customer service offering ansers to all your questions by email <info@dormgrow.com>. Your closet would be a great place for one, they do not depend on reflection as long as your plant is in the footprint of the light. An UFO design would be perfect-90watts covers 2 x 2 feet. I would also suggest an autoflowering strain (pick a tried and true variety) which will grow in 60-90 days from germination to harvest. LEDs do not give off much heat and you would need temps between 72-84 degrees for results (perhaps a cheap space heater). Autoflowering strains only grow about 2 feet total which would fit your closet great. The Light must be kept 16 inches to 20 inches above the plant so attach it to something that allows you move the light up and down. Pot size 1-2 gallons in a light soil mix 50 soil/25 perlite/ 25 vermiculite. Another good thing about LEDs is that they use very little electricity. If you did want some reflection I would go with flat white paint as mylar is expensive. I hope this at least gives you some ideas and never forget where there is a will there is a way!

I use LED lights for one of my grow rooms. DormGrow.com (it might be dorm-grow.com but google it and you will find your way) sells LED lights via amazon through their partner G8LED; in addition to a decent product they offer great customer service offering ansers to all your questions by email <info@dormgrow.com>. Your closet would be a great place for one, they do not depend on reflection as long as your plant is in the footprint of the light. An UFO design would be perfect-90watts covers 2 x 2 feet. I would also suggest an autoflowering strain (pick a tried and true variety) which will grow in 60-90 days from germination to harvest. LEDs do not give off much heat and you would need temps between 72-84 degrees for results (perhaps a cheap space heater). Autoflowering strains only grow about 2 feet total which would fit your closet great. The Light must be kept 16 inches to 20 inches above the plant so attach it to something that allows you move the light up and down. Pot size 1-2 gallons in a light soil mix 50 soil/25 perlite/ 25 vermiculite. Another good thing about LEDs is that they use very little electricity. If you did want some reflection I would go with flat white paint as mylar is expensive. I hope this at least gives you some ideas and never forget where there is a will there is a way!

Jake,

Thank you for the response and insight. I will be purchasing a GrowLab GL80 for a great deal, including the shipping costs to Alaska. The internal dimensions are 2'7"x2'7"x5'11", all interior in refelective mylar. My first choice was some Bob Marly and White Widow I think its called. I looked at the high off of the autoflowering, and it didn't appeal to me for some reason.

:Namaste:

Jeff

By the way Jake, I was born and raised in Connecticut until 18 and left to enter the military and never looked back!

I guess part of my anal retentiveness is rearing it's true colors lol! I would like to have a tent that doesn't look like a spider web of electrical cables criscrossing the small space I have. That is one of the factors going against using CFL. At least HID is consolidated to one place, it's con is expense. Jake's LED he mentioned seems like it is consolidated as well, but does it provide enough heat and enough of the red and blue wavelengths that I will need to suceed?

Jeff

I do see where they offer 6700k and 2700k CFL's, but I'm confused by the wattage of each. I have read where they recommend 42 watts, butt these range from 125 watt all the way to 300 watt? Am I missing something? This is what I am looking at.

Thank you.

Jeff

With those go with the Kelvin Temps as a guide since they advertise them. Now think about your needs; do you want several lower watt bulbs hanging around (4x 42watt bulbs is stronger than 1x 125watt and 2x 125watt is even stronger), or do you want one or two larger bulbs. Either way works.

I still don't know what I am going to do yet, but I found a bulb reflector that says 150 watt type A or smaller lamp. Will the heat I will be using be too much for thid reflector? No identifiying marks that give it a brand name.

Jake, does LED put out blue and red light, or is it only good for autoflowering plants?

I bought my first seeds from Nirvana - 5 Northern Lights Autos - and my second batch from Herbies. I preferred Herbie's - they were faster and more professional, and you can by 'em from Herbie's one at a time. One of my NLs didn't sprout, no big deal. Both came in non-descript packaging. Herbies was a day or 2 quicker.

CFLs are great for sprouting and veg. I go overkill and run mine under a 230 watt CFL rig I built out of PVC and sockets, with 10-23w bulbs, but you don't "need" that much. Heck, I've read journals where some guy runs the entire grow with no more than 50 watts per plant in a foil-lined cardboard box. It takes awhile and you only get about half the weight you should, but it's REALLY cheap and easy and beats anything you can buy on the street.

Graytail,

Can you tell me why these people want so much more money than the ones you have used? I can't afford that crap, even thought they do give 10 free seeds for every ten you buy! When the conversion is said and done, 10 seeds of Bob Marly Sativa Feminized and White Widow Feminized will come to 197.00 Euro including shipping and 20 free seeds. When the conversion is all said and done your talking $259.26!!!!

First and foremost thank you for your service. I'll admit I haven't read all the posts so if I repeat something sorry. You can do allot with household cfl's just match the time and color for flower and veg. I'd stay in the closet just split it with a mother in the top and a sog in the bottom. Emergency blankets make great cheep reflective material for the walls. Some seed outlets will sell single seeds just look at the sponsers. Just remember to be light tight in the flowering area. Happy Growing

Yeah Jeff, I keep telling you to look at Herbies - herbiespicknmixseeds. They have High Quality Bob Marleys at $3.79 each and Bulldog White Widow fems at $9.29 each. The Ceres White Widow fems are better from what I've read, for $14.85 each. You can buy anything one at a time. Heck, I think it's fun to explore the catalog! I've also heard good things about Attitude.

Yeah Jeff, I keep telling you to look at Herbies - herbiespicknmixseeds. They have High Quality Bob Marleys at $3.79 each and Bulldog White Widow fems at $9.29 each. The Ceres White Widow fems are better from what I've read, for $14.85 each. You can buy anything one at a time. Heck, I think it's fun to explore the catalog! I've also heard good things about Attitude.

Hey Graytail,

Trust me I eat up every bit of advise you guys give me and throw out none. My confusion comes with the fact that Amsterdam was the first one I ever looked at and they also gave descriptions of how the high affected you which I appreciated. Herbies seems to have a different name for each brand, and I don't know if it's the same thing or a different flower. and I'm too new to know the difference. Based on price and your recommendation I am going with Herbies, I just need to figure out what plant matches the one I like from Amsterdam. That is my current issue at the moment.

There are White Widow I'm looking for at Herbies

I assume the ones at Amsterdam are the same as the ones at Herbies

Jeff

So Gentlemen and Ladies, if you are out there, This is what I have come up with based on your much appreciated and knowledgeable advice!

GL80 Grow Tent

1667106255123.png

Give me your most frank advice please. As you know the GL80 is only 2'7"x2'7" amd an HID system is kind of steep for me. What are your thoughts on a 2ft long strip 6500 degree K HO lamp at a 24 watt rating.

I found another one through sunlight supply company.

Please tell me that 24 watt would get the job done? I don't want short cuts, if it can't do it, then I need to keep researching.

Jeff

The tent looks good - I like it. At that size, you could even stuff it into your closet if you want to.

But ixnay on the 24 watt idea - nope - nu uh - not gonna work. Skimping on the lighting is a bad "investment". T5's are nice and efficient and they work well for indoor growing, but you need 30-60 watts and/or 3000-6000 lumens per square foot to get decent flower growth. You have about 6.5 sq ft in that tent, so you want 200-400 watts and/or 20000-40000 lumens. So if you go with T5s, you'll want at least 8 of 'em for a cost of close to $200 with shipping, the same as the cost of a 600 watt hps, and the 8 T5s are less than 200 watts. Makes no sense. Get the 600 watt hps and turn it down to 300 watts if you want. At least with the hps, you'll be able to really dose 'em with light when you want to.

If not an hps, then I'd suggest CFLs because you can get 'em anywhere and they're very flexibile in the ways you can use 'em. Here's one of the most informative journals i found - from Tulip, a guy who used CFLs for entire grows. It'll show you all the possibilities.

CFL Light Tutorial

And hmm ... the Bob Marley ... that looks like a tough strain for a first grow. It's described as sativa dominant and tall and leggy. It's likely to get way too big for your tent. I think you need to explore strains a bit more. They don't even really describe the high very well. You'll like White Widow though - a good manageable strain. Frankly, you should get a couple White Widow autos for your first grow. Nirvana has a good one and you can get it from Herbie's. But I'd think twice about the Bob Marley. Find another strain that appeals to you.

You have about 6.5 sq ft in that tent, so you want 200-400 watts and/or 20000-40000 lumens.
You'll like White Widow though - a good manageable strain. Frankly, you should get a couple White Widow autos for your first grow. Nirvana has a good one and you can get it from Herbie's. But I'd think twice about the Bob Marley. Find another strain that appeals to you.

GrayTail, My depth and length dimensions are 2'7" apiece, what would your suggestions be, spiral or tube lights? Do they get utilized together, or does 6500 kelvin get used first to staart plant growth then switch bulbs to the 2700k to help the flowering bud flourish. How many hanging lights would I need in that tent if I decide to go with the tube type and its radiator? Would I need one for each plant, or would a couple suffice for the whole small tent? My next post I will illustrate what I am thinking of.

Oh, you are right, I might just invest in some white widow and see how it goes. Thanks for the heads up!

Also, I Don't want to over do it, what is the best wattage to use in a tent my size, and do each of my plants need its own individual coverage, or because the tent is so small one source would suit the few plants in there?

Jeff

2I just wanted to add, especially to Graytail, I found a seed that grabbed my eye at Herbies lol! Barneys LSD Feminised Seeds. In all seriousness though, I need to find CFL's that will give me my 300-400 watts, attached to a reflector of sorts that can bath the plants on the floor all at once. We are talking only a little over 4 square ft!!! 2'7" x 2'7" There has got to be something out there so I can avoid dangling bulbs above every plant! I'm still looking, but if you guys know of or heard of something like I'm talking about, give me a yell!

Thanks Friends!

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom